Betty LaRue

Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Gave myself a haircut which saved me $30 or so. I do a decent job if I do say so.  And for lunch, I fixed a good homemade hamburger with dill pickles, home grown sliced tomatoes and onions on butter toasted buns with mustard. Potato chips and iced tea. NOT what you call chips, the same as we call French fries.  The kind of crispy ones in a bag.

Oh, you call them crisps! 😊

Then my daughter and son-in-law came over for a good 2 1/2 hour visit.
And I have swarms of butterflies on my flowers and buddleja. To the point that when someone comes to my door, they stir up a cloud of them to walk through.

• Like 3

$30.... if only. My little shop that has now closed was a real NYC bargain at $50. Another reason to wish I could visit you. .... good food... butterflies.. and you!

Paulette

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

And I have swarms of butterflies on my flowers and buddleja. To the point that when someone comes to my door, they stir up a cloud of them to walk through.

That sounds lovely Betty. It is spring here and I saw my first two butterflies today. They are orange and black with some white spots. Not the monarchs (which we do also get here) but a local species that is similar and slightly smaller but I don't know the name. I was standing in the backyard and one landed on my right foot. Then it fluttered off again and came back and landed on my left foot. If only I had my camera I could have got a 'butterfly on a foot' photo. Anyway, my good thing today was having a butterfly land on me and hangout on my foot for a while, perhaps thinking I was a tree.

A few years ago I was trekking on my own on the south coast going down a steep hill to a river. All the way down this butterfly kept landing just ahead of me. It's like it was guiding me all the way down. Butterflies have a special presence about them.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Anyway, my good thing today was having a butterfly land on me and hangout on my foot for a while, perhaps thinking I was a tree.

A few years ago I was trekking on my own on the south coast going down a steep hill to a river. All the way down this butterfly kept landing just ahead of me. It's like it was guiding me all the way down. Butterflies have a special presence about them.

Cycling last week a Red Admiral butterfly landed on my left hand. It stayed there quite a while like it was enjoying the ride. No photos, I have to keep my hands firmly on the handlebars!!

I have to let go with something good today!

I set off for the Norfolk (UK) coast this morning just after sun-up with the objective of some beach photography and capturing some old collapsed breakwaters. When I arrived at the car park I looked over the cliff and there close to the shore was a small jack-up rig which was a delightful diversion. On a small scale but reminded me of my early work days flying out to offshore gas platforms. My guess is that this small rig is a service structure used with offshore wind farms.

Anyway, apart from this it was one of my most productive days lately. By mid morning is was just a bit too warm so I finished. It's now 27 deg C in the garden and my daughter has just arrived. Time for a cold drink and to reflect on a good day!

Jim :) 

• Like 2

I had a serviceman here today to work on my furnace. He’s recently lost two family members. He remarked about walking through my butterflies. He said one family member explained to a child in the family that the loved ones were now each a butterfly.

The sad thing is one of the losses was his son, who suffered from depression. He didn’t handle the pandemic well and committed suicide. He was an avid stills photographer and worked in films, who had studied the craft.
🙁

• Sad 2

That's sad Betty. Such a tough time for so many right now. My Dad died 4 years ago and I thought of him when the butterfly landed on me. There's also been a tame wattlebird landing near me in the garden lately. My Dad liked those birds and I get it when people say they feel like they see the spirit of their loved one in an animal.

On a positive note a baby galah has hatched in a tree in a neighbour's yard and is squarking loudly and being fed by doting parents.

21 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Cycling last week a Red Admiral butterfly landed on my left hand. It stayed there quite a while like it was enjoying the ride. No photos, I have to keep my hands firmly on the handlebars!!

Nice to have a beautiful passenger with you. Sensible to not cycle and do photography at the same time! Almost crashed once on a bike when I kept glancing at a falcon flying to one side of me. Won't do that again.

2 hours ago, Sue Rae Edmondson said:

I woke again up this morning, cant get much better than being alive :)

Well I must say I set my sights a bit higher.:blink:

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Well I must say I set my sights a bit higher.:blink:

You can set your sights as high as you like, however if you are not alive it becomes irrelevant 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

On 14/09/2020 at 05:58, NYCat said:

$30.... if only. My little shop that has now closed was a real NYC bargain at $50. Another reason to wish I could visit you. .... good food... butterflies.. and you!

Paulette

:D Paulette, maybe I missed the mark on the haircut price! You see, I’ve cut my own hair for so long, I’m out of touch. The last time I went to a beauty shop I got a trim and a few highlights. I think it was around $60.  So the price I paid wasn’t for only a cut. 
But yeah, girlfriend, I’d love a visit. The butterflies would approve. I just finished trimming the spent blooms off my butterfly bush and the Painted Ladies were a tad mad at me for interfering with their feeding. A minute later, they swooped back in, ignored me and landed inches from my hands as I worked around all sides.
As far as food...I’m doing easy for lunch. Packaged Ramen noodles! Even easier than making a PBJ.

Just had a PBJ. So good.

Paulette

• Like 1

My helper borrowed my cordless drill this morning after fetching me breakfast and walking my dog.   He installed cat shelves for my British friend, then came back and cleaned my house, did laundry, and did a partial water change for the fish tank, and went out for laundry soap and a used towel to use as a mop. 

I will be starting him on photo assisting Saturday as I want someone with me when I go up the staircase to the studio and someone to help get the various things I want to photograph up and arranged.   Next week, he's going to take my money to buy another clothes rack for the hall so we can take down the courtyard clothes lines to set up an outdoor table and two folding chairs that's been in the studio, and to have space for more plants.  I have two empty terracotta pots from the last purchase of a set.

The only bad news is the cats find some of my plants tasty, so another next step will be planting some chia seeds and popcorn kernels so they can have more acceptable greenery, I hope, than my coleuses, geranium, and one of my orchids, and the new plantlets growing from one of my succulents. 

Had a pot of local coffee this morning and feel cheerful.   Submitted six older but re-edited photos to Alamy.   Now have 1,000 and some submission to my portfolio, so probably the next step is seeing what needs to be deleted and what needs to be reworked. 

And two of my Convict cichlid pairs have fry -- and the two pairs have taken over either end of a clay roof tile and serve as four sets of eyes to run off their conspecifics who'd like to snack.  I don't need more Convict cichlids in that tank without an out-cross, but I also think about getting some flake food that I can crush for the babies because they're working so hard to defend their babies. 

• Like 1

Hooray! Just had the email from Alamy to say my upload on the 15th August has passed QC. That includes 4 more uploads since then the last being 11th September.

Yes I am still a one star and it is not surprising as my failure rate stands at approx 12%. (this in relation to another thread).

Must do better.

Allan

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hooray! Just had the email from Alamy to say my upload on the 15th August has passed QC. That includes 4 more uploads since then the last being 11th September.

Yes I am still a one star and it is not surprising as my failure rate stands at approx 12%. (this in relation to another thread).

Must do better.

Allan

A month for QC is pretty awful. Still, at least we know the score now.

Even I, a five-star general, was bagged the other week. But they went through overnight.

I mentioned my car problems in the bad thing thread. Dashboard warning light relating to engine management.

Today I took it to the main dealer to have the fault diagnosed and an estimate provided for the repair. I picked the car up to find that the fault was minor, a faulty glowplug, and they had replaced it without asking me. Very happy that they took the initiative as I was expecting a lengthy wait without a serviceable vehicle, followed by a large bill. Basic diagnostic test pricey at £70, but problem fixed for another £18.

Spent waiting time wandering around Durham city and got a few canny shots. Spotted a row of terraced houses that looked interesting, and later found that they dated back to 1700 and were listed buildings. I was looking at the cross behind the cathedral when a bloke approached and pointed out the symbolism on the 1914-18 war memorial, trenching tools, a grenade etc. Never previously noticed it.

Happy bunny, might yet get the caravan rolling this year, but MOT test tomorrow, fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Hmm, seems to be a lot more 'bad thing' posts recently than 'good thing', must be a sign of the times.

I'm just about to leave for a great weekend trip to Norfolk. Weather looks good, justing loading the car for the 3 hour trip. Looking forward to it although I've planned a busy schedule. Think I've packed everything although something always gets forgotten. Probably the last longish drive in the Mondeo before its replaced soon.

Further to my post in "bad thing" I did take my a6000 + 24-70 lens with me  and got some good images.

Good thing so that helps to even up the posts.

Allan

Passed the 5000 images up mark.

Should have happened five years ago.

Allan

• Like 1

My helper did some photo assisting today, and even suggested two earthenware items to photograph.  I managed to get 17 shots out of the session and added three older ones to the submission, having to massage one to get it large enough to add.   We decided that the little glass topped table was a bit too valuable as a place to stack stuff in the studio to put down in the courtyard.  I also used it in a couple of the photos, including one of all the stuff I'd photographed plus camera bits.   I think he'll like this.   Unfortunately, not sure whether he could work as a photo assistant anywhere in Nicaragua other than possibly Managua.   He did think that the set up with a glass espresso cup, moka pot, and a coffee mill would be better with coffee in the glass cup.   He also learned how to put pop open round reflectors back into their carrying pouches.   I've got a Godox SK400 II plug in flash that only can be dialed back to 1/16 so one popup reflected had the reflecting panels unzipped and I just used the diffuser.

I need help getting stuff up and down the studio stairs, so this works for me.  He can also go with me when I do street photography.  He wants to get me out to a cooperative farm near Jinotega to take photos of field crops.   I'm going to try to submit at least ten photos a week.   Did pass the 1,000 mark last week.   I have a list of things to take photos of in Jinotega, so need to print that out and tick off items. 

Jinotega now has a specialty meat shop, one of two chains of meat shops that operate in Nicaragua.   Haven't gone yet. 

• Like 1

On 17/09/2020 at 21:08, Bryan said:

I mentioned my car problems in the bad thing thread. Dashboard warning light relating to engine management.

Today I took it to the main dealer to have the fault diagnosed and an estimate provided for the repair. I picked the car up to find that the fault was minor, a faulty glowplug, and they had replaced it without asking me. Very happy that they took the initiative as I was expecting a lengthy wait without a serviceable vehicle, followed by a large bill. Basic diagnostic test pricey at £70, but problem fixed for another £18.

Happy bunny, might yet get the caravan rolling this year, but MOT test tomorrow, fingers crossed. 

Car passed MOT but......

Caravan trip not to be, a car unsighted by a row of traffic, turned across a main road and ran into the side of our vehicle. Fortunately, indeed the good thing, nobody hurt, but car damaged and disappeared in the direction of a body shop behind a breakdown truck. Caught a bus home. Impressed by insurance company, they arranged the recovery of our car, and are organising a temporary replacement vehicle - but not one that will tow a caravan.

13 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Car passed MOT but......

Caravan trip not to be, a car unsighted by a row of traffic, turned across a main road and ran into the side of our vehicle. Fortunately, indeed the good thing, nobody hurt, but car damaged and disappeared in the direction of a body shop behind a breakdown truck. Caught a bus home. Impressed by insurance company, they arranged the recovery of our car, and are organising a temporary replacement vehicle - but not one that will tow a caravan.

OMG  Bryan, what a roller coaster!! I'm sure there is a silver lining in this somewhere. Sometimes we never know. All the best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Car passed MOT but......

I wish drivers would not do that. If I am unsighted while driving I wait till it is clear regardless of what they think behind me.

Sorry you had to go through that. Hope everything works out soon.

Allan

• Like 1

Two things good.

The gardeners started work on tearing out all the greenery in my back garden today. They are back tomorrow to remove the grass and some soil.

I left my iMac computer running for some time while I did something else. When I came back the screen was showing a lovely hypnotic psychedelic light show with different merging patterns and colours so I sat and watched it for a while until I nearly went to sleep. Useful if you want to calm down after a stressful day.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell