Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

9 hours ago, Sally R said:

You have just reminded me of a sailing mishap now. A friend of mine told me about going with a friend of hers on a sailing trip who had no prior sailing experience. She was hit and knocked unconscious by the boom as it swung around. She was ok with no long term effects as I understand, but certainly it must have been a scary intro to sailing similar to what your friend experienced. I would be completely useless on a sailboat as I have never actually been on one. I have been in a dinghy but not with a sail.

Yes, so much can go wrong with a sailing dinghy ! Great fun when you get it right though.  Non sailors won't have experienced this, but there is a huge difference between displacement sailing and planing. When the boat starts to plane it jumps onto its own wave and the speed increases dramatically. In truth you aren't going very fast but with the water spraying back from the bow over the crew, and the imminent threat of a capsize, it feels exhilarating - or maybe I'm just easy pleased. 🙃

Well my last post here appeared to be a stopper - my wife's family were great social card players and the term stopper referred to a card that prevented further progress. 

Our good thing was the news that our third grandchild entered the world yesterday, mother and child doing well. They live in Manchester however, so we're not sure whether the lockdown regulations will prevent a visit.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 18/08/2020 at 03:43, Bryan said:

Well my last post here appeared to be a stopper - my wife's family were great social card players and the term stopper referred to a card that prevented further progress. 

Our good thing was the news that our third grandchild entered the world yesterday, mother and child doing well. They live in Manchester however, so we're not sure whether the lockdown regulations will prevent a visit.

Congratulations! Metric or imperial? 🙂

20 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Congratulations! Metric or imperial? 🙂

🙂 Cheers, can't say I'm bothered ! Actually the bairn's height was given in cm and we had to convert to inches to compare with our two.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

They live in Manchester however,

You don't. As I see it, you can visit them. They can't visit you.

From the regulations, my emphasis. I added a bit.

"

If you live in one of the affected areas, in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, unless you are Dominic Cummings, you must not:

• meet people you do not live with inside a private home or garden, except where you have formed a support bubble (or for other limited exemptions to be specified in law)
  • visit someone else’s home or garden even if they live outside of the affected areas
  •  

If you're concerned about that, you can meet them in public outdoors. For some reason people in Manchester are contagious in their own gardens but not in public.

We Freemasons have just had some guidance from Grand Lodge saying that if we're not confused by the regulations then we haven't read them properly.

Edited by spacecadet

Excited to see a Monarch butterfly spend some minutes on one of my milkweed plants. Hopefully, laying eggs, which is the reason I planted a couple of varieties of milkweed.  The Monarchs only lay eggs on milkweed. The eggs are minuscule, so I’ll need to watch for a bit until they grow big enough to be visually discernible, meanwhile I’ll hope a lot.

On 17/08/2020 at 21:43, Bryan said:

Congratulations!

• Love 1

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Congratulations!

Thanks Betty, we've seen pictures of the little chap and had a Watsap video conference, but it may be a while before we get to meet up properly.

• Love 1

Our good thing was the news that our third grandchild entered the world yesterday, mother and child doing well

Nothing else matters when you get one of those, does it.

I've just made mine sole beneficiary of my will. Including my Alamy royalties! She's got it made!🤩

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I did share those wild Irish eyebrows with Andy, as well as the surname.

You mean like these? These are French decent. I could have plucked one of these, put an eye in it, and mended clothes.

EM9HF0.jpg

I can't lay claim to sporting wild Irish eyebrows that's surely a trump card is it not?

Congrats Bryan on the new addition to your family. Its always lovely to celebrate new grandchildren coming into one's life. 

Nice lunch out today at Blue Boar Herongate, Essex -  this morning I noticed happily garden pumpkins continue to thrive, with dapples of yellow increasing. The children should be pleased if this wildly rampant crop keeps it up, come October 31st. 🌾

Not quite sure how the lawn mowing will eke out avoiding 15ft tendrils. 😲Having never grown such beasts previously it was a surprise to witness the pumpkin takeover

😂😂

I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I haven't eaten them in decades but when we were discussing french toast I remembered that Annie Oakley's in Lakeside, California would put a layer of peanut butter between two slices. So I bought peanut butter and still haven't done the french toast but I had forgotten how good a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be. Easy to make, too.

Paulette

Today was great weather to shoot a march and rally in Oxford this afternoon. Back to using the Nikon D750's, the RX100 had been my go to camera recently. In the past I would have edited and uploaded there, but no pressure with reportage. Sitting in my favourite chair finishing off the edits, soon to caption/tag with Photo Mechanic. More planned over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Today I had a coffee and scone date with my GF, got my hair cut and bought a sports jacket and a pair of jeans.  Today is a good day!

Sounds like a great day, a move towards normality. I had a haircut too this morning, my wife cuts mine. She makes a good job of it with no risks.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I haven't eaten them in decades but when we were discussing french toast I remembered that Annie Oakley's in Lakeside, California would put a layer of peanut butter between two slices. So I bought peanut butter and still haven't done the french toast but I had forgotten how good a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can be. Easy to make, too.

Paulette

I treat myself to one every so often. Love them. My husband always put peanut butter on his French toast. Then maple syrup. My youngest daughter’s after (elementary) school snack was peanut butter mixed with syrup, then put on a slice of bread. Until she got chubby cheeks, then she cut that out.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Sounds like a great day, a move towards normality. I had a haircut too this morning, my wife cuts mine. She makes a good job of it with no risks.

I cut our son’s hair until he was 17, my own and my two daughter‘s. My husband cut his own using a hand mirror in front of a wall mirror to see the back most of his life. He did a very good job.
We saved a ton of money through the years. Other than a very rare occurrence, I still cut my own. I have naturally curly hair and nobody quite understands how to cut it for the best results more than I.  I also groomed (cut) poodles for a few years. :)
Good for your wife.

I’m pretty sure I’m fostering two Monarch butterfly eggs now. I found another one this morning. I took a magnifying glass to show the roundness of them.  They are in a container in my house at the moment.

Edited by Betty LaRue

7 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m pretty sure I’m fostering two Monarch butterfly eggs now. I found another one this morning. I took a magnifying glass to show the roundness of them.  They are in a container in my house at the moment.

That's exciting. The wonders of nature.

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

There's nothing normal in Ireland at the moment - just look for #golfgate on Twitter and all will become apparent! 

My GF did an OK job cutting my hair when the barbers were closed, but there's nothing like getting it done professionally.

• Alamy locked this topic