Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

D85208.jpg

I’ve been blessed with the ability to cut my own hair. I have saved a ton of money through the years. Once every few years, I’ll go to a salon but end up disappointed. I just cut my own a week ago, and set loose the curls.

Allan, were people starting to toss bananas at you? Is that why you finally got a haircut? You could make banana pudding, you know.

Edited by Betty LaRue

8 hours ago, sb photos said:

My wife has been cutting my hair for the last 41 years, so no worries during lockdown.

For the past 50 years in my case, but not much of it left to attend to these days!  Strange how genetics works, our elder son is similarly folically challenged, but the younger one takes after his maternal grandfather and has a healthy mop of hair. The Mrs enjoyed her first visit to the hairdressers since lockdown yesterday, but I was pleased to note that her hair is  still longer than it was before this trouble began.

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Allan, were people starting to toss bananas at you? Is that why you finally got a haircut? You could make banana pudding, you know.

Cheeky. But I like you.

Allan

• Love 1

More zooms today relating to fairly recent uploads, this month is likely to have the highest number yet. I only hope they will relate to sales.

Just opened a parcel containing an eBay purchase, an old Eddystone variable capacitor. It's one more part towards a super regenerative radio receiver using valves (tubes) I'm building. It's the best design I've seen yet, complete with a cw (morse code) filter. All relating to my amateur radio interest. The matching transmitter is part built. It will be similar to kit used in the early 1950's. This has been a hobby of mine on and off since I was 14. I hold a full UK amateur radio license.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

More zooms today relating to fairly recent uploads, this month is likely to have the highest number yet. I only hope they will relate to sales.

Just opened a parcel containing an eBay purchase, an old Eddystone variable capacitor. It's one more part towards a super regenerative radio receiver using valves (tubes) I'm building. It's the best design I've seen yet, complete with a cw (morse code) filter. All relating to my amateur radio interest. The matching transmitter is part built. It will be similar to kit used in the early 1950's. This has been a hobby of mine on and off since I was 14. I hold a full UK amateur radio license.

What fun!  I think if one has a special interest that keeps them involved and makes them eager to get out of bed each morning, life is so much richer. Of course, we all have photography or we wouldn’t be here. Often that begins as a special love, then evolves more into a job. I know my special interest was shooting birds, butterflies and flowers. I seldom license a bird or butterfly image. So I had to turn to shooting many times blah things because, if I want some income from it, they are what buyers want.

But my watercolor painting, (I don’t care if I ever sell one) your radio interest, people here loving their gardening, that’s what makes one get up in the morning.

Betty

• Love 1

After lunch I caught the local bus to Lincoln and using my OAP card it was FREE. Went to the bank and met a nice helpful lady. Then to WH Smiths had a browse and met another nice helpful lady. Had a walk around the non-touristy areas and got some different photos. Stopped for a coffee and met another nice helpful lady. Caught the free bus back. Nice relaxing time.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 4

I had my first dental cleaning and check-up in many, many months and I have NO cavities. Big relief. I love my hygienist and I think she is excellent at her job so I have not a speck of plaque left on my teeth. Unfortunately that takes a looooong time of wishing it was over. I did like seeing her after such a long time. My dentist is a teeny tiny Russian woman whose accent I find difficult to understand even when she is not wearing a mask. Today she had the usual mask and face shield but also those magnifying glasses that look like little binoculars and a light on the top of her head. Honestly, she looked like a space alien. She is delightful and didn't mind me laughing at her. She always checks for cancer of throat, jaw, etc. as well as looking at my teeth. So I am in good shape. In a couple of weeks I will go back to see the periodontist who is giving me a dental implant. I have been without my tooth for a long time and should have had the new tooth in April, but you know what happened. By this time next month I'll have a full set of healthy teeth. 

This was my first trip out of the Village and I took the subway. I wore my N95 mask that makes me feeling like I'm suffocating but I figured it is the safest one. It wasn't hard to keep distance on the subway but there were three beggars along the way..... Begging on the trains is not legal and I'd better not go into the reason it is unlikely at this time for that law to be enforced. Maybe just as well in these hard times but NYC is looking more and more like the bad old days, alas. I'm hoping for better days eventually. I had been worried about the elevators in the building where my dentist is because they are tiny but the sign said only one party of people at a time. I was alone going up but on the way down the elevator stopped and two women wanted to get in. They had their masks off their noses and the elevator is only about six feet square so I said I'd rather not. I'd prefer to have them think I was not nice than risk getting sick.

Happy to be healthy with clean teeth!

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

After lunch I caught the local bus to Lincoln and using my OAP card it was FREE. Went to the bank and met a nice helpful lady. Then to WH Smiths had a browse and met another nice helpful lady. Had a walk around the non-touristy areas and got some different photos. Stopped for a coffee and met another nice helpful lady. Caught the free bus back. Nice relaxing time.

Allan

Hello Allan,

You live in Lincoln now, in the UK, and not in one of the many Lincolns in the USA.

Maybe one day you could have a bus ride out to New York. That's a hamlet, near Lincoln, in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire

Is there anywhere else called New York ?!  😁

Phil

10 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Hello Allan,

You live in Lincoln now, in the UK, and not in one of the many Lincolns in the USA.

Maybe one day you could have a bus ride out to New York. That's a hamlet, near Lincoln, in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire

Is there anywhere else called New York ?!  😁

Phil

Yes 

• Like 1

Three P.U. sales came through, same subject so presumably the same buyer. The reason I feel positive, despite the low fees, is that they were archival shots from 30 years ago and as I'm spending some shut-in time digitizing old slides the sales help with motivation.

Heard someone coming by hawking "masaterras" (flower pots).  Went out and bought three rustic decorated clay pots for roughly $9 US (C$300), fired red clay with slip decorations and some others.  My helper was quite impressed by them.   I've wanted to move all the orchids to tree fern plaques except the ones that grow better in chunked fern, and have all the pots on the ground be fired terracotta.   Plastic pots tend to get get flakey in the tropical sun and some plants definitely do better in clay.   Hadn't heard anyone selling masaterras in over a year or two. 

And a ripe mango dropped into my yard two days after the tree was trimmed drastically to get some branches off my roofs. 

Yesterday while dodging a hurricane I registered 645 images with the copyright office. This batch of images is all the photography I've done so far this year so actually having images to register was a good thing.  

43 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

After much persuasion my GF has agreed to go camping with me.  Result!

My wife refused to go camping again after our tent blew down in a gale on a cornish clifftop in the early hours of the morning. Instead of using our usual low gale proof tent, she wanted one she could stand up in. I wanted to pitch close to a hedge acting as a windbreak, she wanted a more scenic view over the cliffs. Combination of the two was a disaster waiting to happen.

Since then I've camped regularly by myself in the Ogwen Valley an near St. Just. The Ogwen Valley campsites were mainly used by walkers and climbers, so I looked out of place when I left early one morning in a suit. Was driving up to Skipton to photograph my sisters wedding. Was using a Mamiya C330F, so some time  back. With the camera on a tripod I even got into some of the group shots. Down side was no drinking as I was driving back to the camp site later.

Enjoy your camping.

As we finally got our money back for cancelled Tenerife holiday in April, we’ve booked a campervan for a week and we’re heading up the North Yorkshire coast. (all being well) Haven’t been there since I was a child!  Taking our bikes so hoping for some decent cycling weather.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

My wife refused to go camping again after our tent blew down in a gale on a cornish clifftop in the early hours of the morning. Instead of using our usual low gale proof tent, she wanted one she could stand up in. I wanted to pitch close to a hedge acting as a windbreak, she wanted a more scenic view over the cliffs. Combination of the two was a disaster waiting to happen.

Since then I've camped regularly by myself in the Ogwen Valley an near St. Just. The Ogwen Valley campsites were mainly used by walkers and climbers, so I looked out of place when I left early one morning in a suit. Was driving up to Skipton to photograph my sisters wedding. Was using a Mamiya C330F, so some time  back. With the camera on a tripod I even got into some of the group shots. Down side was no drinking as I was driving back to the camp site later.

Enjoy your camping.

Ooh, I've never had a tent blow down, hopefully my GF won't be a bad omen!

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Blimey, will the relationship survive a few nights under canvas? 😮

Our relationship will survive anything! 😍

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Ooh, I've never had a tent blow down, hopefully my GF won't be a bad omen!

Our relationship will survive anything! 😍

I’ve had one blow down and it was spectacular. A large tent. Hubby’s cot was on one side by a tent window for cool air, I was on the opposite side by another window. A terrible storm came along with torrential rain and high wind.

Of course, my side of the tent collapsed, and the window folded right down on me and what seems like 100 gallons of water dumped on me.

And there I was, snuggled in, reading a good book by flashlight. How rude.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had one blow down and it was spectacular. A large tent. Hubby’s cot was on one side by a tent window for cool air, I was on the opposite side by another window. A terrible storm came along with torrential rain and high wind.

Of course, my side of the tent collapsed, and the window folded right down on me and what seems like 100 gallons of water dumped on me.

And there I was, snuggled in, reading a good book by flashlight. How rude.

I can picture it now lol 😂🤣😂

Edited by Colblimp
  • Love 1

We got a permit to go to a very remote area in indigenous land. The first hurdle will be this crossing at the very beginning of the trip. This is a tidal crossing which has to be crossed at low tide. Then it will be about 10 hours' drive on a corrugated track. We're not allowed to stop on the way, being Indigenous land. Adventure for sure. Can't wait.

PS. Oh dear what have I done. We're now arguing on the calculations of crossing times on the 15th August. Take the official Darwin tide times, add 5 h 30 to it for Cahill's Crossing. Crossing is possible 2h on either side of high tide. I think I got it right now. 6:39am. Which will be interesting given that daylight is at 7:00.

Edited by gvallee

• Alamy locked this topic