Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

15 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Have missed browsing round antique centres more  than any other sort of shopping! Amazon can’t fill that gap!!

Antique centres, car boots and auctions. Never know what you (or I) could pick up.

So long as it is not covid.

Allan

Yes, Twinkies are sponge cake fingers filled with cream. A staple of the US of A. Two to a package, unless you buy a box with singles, each individually wrapped.

I love all snack cakes filled with cream.

My good thing for today is that I cleaned out my linen closet.  I have a large pile of towels, some sheets, bath rugs, throws and such that I sat down and priced for my “hoped for” garage sale I desire to have in September.

It feels good to have made a start on pricing things.

Bad thing, there is 100 times as many things in my basement storage left to price.

Good thing...the opportunity to have my two daughters come and help me price the rest. More good times and laughter.

Good thing again. The mask in public places mandate began the first of July, and finally, the infection and hospitalization numbers are coming down.

On 01/08/2020 at 07:45, Michael Ventura said:

As Betty predicted, my daughter is pretty much healed.  Healed enough to go back to work yesterday.  Thanks for all the good wishes, much appreciated!

I have dry eyes, Michael. I think mine is a side effect of the chemo I had.  In spite of using artificial tears, once in awhile I will wake up to an eyelid stuck to my cornea, ripping off some cells. I spend a half day with tears running down my face before it heals.  Corneal abrasions, like your daughter had, is really painful. The Ophthalmologist I worked for wouldn’t give me numbing drops because he said it slows down healing. So I had to suffer with my two bad abrasions, using a pressure patch and trying not to have my eye move around under the patch. So if you look around with your good eye, the bad one tracks with it. Uh uh. Not good.

This is a "Good news" - "Bad news" post.

Yesterday I got a text telling me my bed order for two beds and mattresses was to be delivered between 7.00am and 20.00hrs on Wednesday 5th. This week.

Two and a half hours later I received an email telling me that due to a supplier delay they would not now be delivering my order.

How is that for a kick in the whatsits. 

Allan

I am back to doing quite a lot of cat-sitting these days... usually about 4 visits a day walking around the Village to the apartments owned by the cats. Today we have a big storm coming with tornado warnings (not usual here). One of my visits would have had to be in the late afternoon or evening and by then we were supposed to be having deluges. The woman who is owned by the cats wanting the late day visit contacted me last night to say that if I left extra food in the morning the cats would be fine without an evening visit. I have worked for her since she "was a sprout" (her words). She was not yet married and has moved to two different and increasingly large and luxurious apartments since I started. Her oldest child is in college now. So we are dear, old friends by now though only in contact about the cats (about seven cats on from the original three). I also had a couple of other visits this morning and ran into some rain and wind gusts but am safely home now that the storm is picking up. So nice when your old friends take care of you.

Paulette

10 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I am back to doing quite a lot of cat-sitting these days... usually about 4 visits a day walking around the Village to the apartments owned by the cats. Today we have a big storm coming with tornado warnings (not usual here). One of my visits would have had to be in the late afternoon or evening and by then we were supposed to be having deluges. The woman who is owned by the cats wanting the late day visit contacted me last night to say that if I left extra food in the morning the cats would be fine without an evening visit. I have worked for her since she "was a sprout" (her words). She was not yet married and has moved to two different and increasingly large and luxurious apartments since I started. Her oldest child is in college now. So we are dear, old friends by now though only in contact about the cats (about seven cats on from the original three). I also had a couple of other visits this morning and ran into some rain and wind gusts but am safely home now that the storm is picking up. So nice when your old friends take care of you.

Paulette

Paulette, the storm blew thru the DC area, this morning, much quicker than the forecasters had thought, with minimal damage....so I hope the same will be true for the NYC area!  A couple of small tornadoes did touch down but not near me. That is so nice to have that long term client and friend via the cats!

Edited by Michael Ventura

Have been slowly clearing out my mothers house since she went into a care home in February. She hadn’t thrown a single thing away in donkeys years and also has a lot of stuff that belonged to her parents and even grandparents.  Upside is that amongst the rubbish there are some amazing mementoes. Her father was a chemist and a keen photographer so he developed and printed rather a lot of family photos in the 1930’s and ‘40’s the quality of which is beautiful. Will definitely have to frame some of them. 

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

Happy your job has returned to normal or near normal. We are having lovely weather here, the temperature being considerably below normal during late July early August.

My good thing, I got out at 9 a.m. and voted in the primary. My voting place is a church about a half mile away and the temp was in the high 60s at that time. Loving it. The heat is coming back this weekend, though. 😟

47 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Have been slowly clearing out my mothers house since she went into a care home in February. She hadn’t thrown a single thing away in donkeys years and also has a lot of stuff that belonged to her parents and even grandparents.  Upside is that amongst the rubbish there are some amazing mementoes. Her father was a chemist and a keen photographer so he developed and printed rather a lot of family photos in the 1930’s and ‘40’s the quality of which is beautiful. Will definitely have to frame some of them. 

It’s a constant struggle to keep things tidy, here. Stuff just accumulates, and when you turn your back on it, it breeds.

I’m planning a garage sale, probably known as a rummage sale to y’all. It’s just me, here. My husband tended to be a hoarder. He’d go to someone else’s rummage sales, buy totally unneeded things, stick them in the garage, never to be looked at again. He’d buy toddler toys when our grandchildren were all 8-10 years old.
My problem is periodically needing to go through what I no longer use anymore.

Hopefully, I’ll address that with the rummage sale. My daughter has often accused me of getting rid of her inheritance! :D

I sold some cheap costume jewelry once and she said, “You got rid of those? But Mom, I played with those beads when I was little!”
Same thing when I bought a new set of white china and as a result, sold a set of 12 blue and white china that had all the serving pieces. She never said a word about wanting them. I kept the turkey platter.
If my kids want it, they better tell me NOW! Then take it home, now! I like to declutter. Of course, they can’t take the things I’m presently using.

22 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s a constant struggle to keep things tidy, here. Stuff just accumulates, and when you turn your back on it, it breeds.

I’m planning a garage sale, probably known as a rummage sale to y’all. It’s just me, here. My husband tended to be a hoarder. He’d go to someone else’s rummage sales, buy totally unneeded things, stick them in the garage, never to be looked at again. He’d buy toddler toys when our grandchildren were all 8-10 years old.
My problem is periodically needing to go through what I no longer use anymore.

Hopefully, I’ll address that with the rummage sale. My daughter has often accused me of getting rid of her inheritance! :D

I sold some cheap costume jewelry once and she said, “You got rid of those? But Mom, I played with those beads when I was little!”
Same thing when I bought a new set of white china and as a result, sold a set of 12 blue and white china that had all the serving pieces. She never said a word about wanting them. I kept the turkey platter.
If my kids want it, they better tell me NOW! Then take it home, now! I like to declutter. Of course, they can’t take the things I’m presently using.

We still have our younger son's junk, years after he fled the nest. The Mrs keeps threatening to throw it all out, or dump it at his place, but I don't really care, I quite like clutter. However my wife is guilty of  accumulating toys and baby related equipment, an activity that has intensified with another grandchild on the way. It, being the youngest creature in the family, will be known as the bairn, an expression we share with those who live north of the border.

On 29/07/2020 at 18:47, gvallee said:

We got a permit to go to a very remote area in indigenous land. The first hurdle will be this crossing at the very beginning of the trip. This is a tidal crossing which has to be crossed at low tide. Then it will be about 10 hours' drive on a corrugated track. We're not allowed to stop on the way, being Indigenous land. Adventure for sure. Can't wait.

PS. Oh dear what have I done. We're now arguing on the calculations of crossing times on the 15th August. Take the official Darwin tide times, add 5 h 30 to it for Cahill's Crossing. Crossing is possible 2h on either side of high tide. I think I got it right now. 6:39am. Which will be interesting given that daylight is at 7:00.

By shere coincidence, there is an article about that crossing in the DM today.

15 hours ago, gvallee said:

By shere coincidence, there is an article about that crossing in the DM today.

That sounds scary and I’d be racing in the other direction. Especially after reading of all those who have died there. Head bitten off? 🤯

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That sounds scary and I’d be racing in the other direction. Especially after reading of all those who have died there. Head bitten off? 🤯

I don't know the background story about the decapitation but lots of fishermen fish from the road itself or the rocks nearby. Sheer madness. That's when accidents happen. I have seen a video of a young girl waving a flip flop shoe at a croc less than 5m from her. No need to say, the croc wasn't impressed.

22 hours ago, gvallee said:

I don't know the background story about the decapitation but lots of fishermen fish from the road itself or the rocks nearby. Sheer madness. That's when accidents happen. I have seen a video of a young girl waving a flip flop shoe at a croc less than 5m from her. No need to say, the croc wasn't impressed.

I had my introduction to alligators on a shoot to the coast of Texas/Louisiana. There were warnings posted not to get near, their speed could surprise people. After all, those monsters can come out of the water and will. I kept my distance, but one mother allowed her 5 year old girl to scream at one and tease it (waving a long stick at it) right by the water. The park ranger repeatedly told the mother to not allow that behavior and the mother was insulted that anyone should tell her how to manage her child. 
I kind of felt like throwing mom in the water, so decided it was time for me to leave before I lost my cool or saw something I didn’t want to see. You can’t fix stupid.

Betty

Took the grandchildren to the beach on what may turn out to be the hottest day of the year. Plenty of space, no crowding, but a chill wind kept the temperature down, so we only stayed a few hours. However getting out of the air conditioned car back home about 10 miles inland, the heat and humidity was such that it reminded me of stepping out of an aircraft after touching down at some exotic location. Ended the day with our first BBQ of the year, just needed the sound of cicadas to make us feel we were in the south of France rather than NE England. Weather cooler and more comfortable today.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Ended the day with our first BBQ of the year, just needed the sound of cicadas to make us feel we were in the south of France rather than NE England. Weather cooler and more comfortable today.

We barbecued garlic prawns (like these ones from Aldi!) Close your eyes and you could have been on the Costa Brava!

argentinian-red-shrimp-ready-to-cook-S2W

• Love 1

I'm gonna buy my next round of fruit at a street stand; I'm hoping they will be better. Maybe.

I alternate three breakfasts: scrambled eggs, pancakes and fruit, and yogurt with 4 or 5 types of fruit—raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries and sometimes a banana.  Everything has a wholewheat muffin with it, except the pancakes. The pancakes replaced oatmeal, because of my. tiny kitchen, but that is not working out. 

2C7HMYP.jpg

I have the questionable ability of remembering the way things used to taste. Store-bought chicken, tomatoes, strawberries, salmon, and other things have all lost their taste. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm gonna buy my next round of fruit at a street stand; I'm hoping they will be better. Maybe.

I alternate three breakfast: scrambled eggs, pancakes and fruit, and yogurt with 4 or 5 types of fruit—raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries and sometimes a banana.  Everything has a wholewheat muffin with it, except the pancakes. The pancakes replaced oatmeal, because of my. tiny kitchen, but that is not working out. 

2C7HMYP.jpg

I have the questionable ability of remembering the way things used to taste. Store-bought chicken, tomatoes, strawberries, salmon, and other things have all lost their taste. 

Some time ago I bought some radishes from a supermarket thinking they would be hot like dads' home grown ones. Not on your nelly it was like eating solid water, no taste at all.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic