Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

23 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Some film sound transfer work arrived in the post. Two months' Alamy revenue in an hour and a half🖕

107733090_2702062910115260_2384412222274

And we had some Lynchburg Lemonades later on as well🤩🍸

Putting the beloved Steenbeck to use, I see.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

Putting the beloved Steenbeck to use, I see.

Yes, the chap I'm doing the work for actually has one but it's not working as well as mine! Steenbeck were never intended to output sound for recording- you went to a dubbing suite to do that, but they're long gone, so I've made some modifications so it plugs into the PC.;)

Well it finally happened.  I think a silver lining to the pandemic is that my daughter had to live out of a hotel for three months (that gave her a taste of living on her own) and now she and two women, her age, signed a lease to rent a home just a half mile from me.  So she has been moving her things over there as she can!  This is so good for her and me!  I welcome her visits anytime but nice for her to be more adult now.  Of course keeping people alive is way more adult than anything I have done in my life.

• Love 5

Making progress!

I love my daughter very much, and treasure the almost four months she recently spent with me, but if she had to return for some reason, I think I would be forced to run away from home for awhile. 😄

The last time I used Lightroom (the old standalone version) I was importing my robin photos. I couldn't do anything in the right panel so couldn't do what I usually do to the filename and couldn't add keywords but I went ahead and imported. Then I continued to only be able to work with the center panel. I could move to the next photo using the arrows or the thumbnail strip at the bottom but, again, couldn't add keywords. I finally shut it down -- optimizing the catalog. As I thought about it I wondered if I had allowed enough time for Lightroom to load into my ancient and very slow laptop. Maybe I had started using it before it was ready. So today I took a deep breath and opened it. I let it "warm up" for ten minutes and tried it. Hooray! Everything is working. Lesson learned.

Paulette

55 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Zoom beer tasting.

DSC05215.jpg

You know what- this one is going on Alamy.🍸

That’s where my bottle cooler went, have been looking for that for ages!😂

• Love 1

On 09/07/2020 at 13:53, Allan Bell said:

HURRAH!

I have had an email to say my beds which, if you remember delivery was held up by covid lockdown, are to be delivered on 17th July 2020.

Looking forward to a comfortable good nights sleep.

Allan

Yay!

Tax deadline here is April 15. Extended to July 15 this year because of Covid. With all of that extra time to get everything together for my tax preparer, I still managed to procrastinate until last Weds. 

I’d rather scrub toilets for a day as work on tax stuff. I usually get everything turned over one week before deadline, whenever that should be.

Cecile, Michael, I understand.  It’s one thing when you are raising them and your word is law. It’s another thing when they are adults and are positively certain they know more than you and try to bend you to their will.

Not that teenagers don’t think they know more than you, or try to “bend” you, but see: *your word is law*.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Tax deadline here is April 15. Extended to July 15 this year because of Covid. With all of that extra time to get everything together for my tax preparer, I still managed to procrastinate until last Weds. 

I’d rather scrub toilets for a day as work on tax stuff. I usually get everything turned over one week before deadline, whenever that should be.

Cecile, Michael, I understand.  It’s one thing when you are raising them and your word is law. It’s another thing when they are adults and are positively certain they know more than you and try to bend you to their will.

Not that teenagers don’t think they know more than you, or try to “bend” you, but see: *your word is law*.

Betty

I got my taxes done back in April but just mailed my tax payments to the Feds and State, today!  

19 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Yes, the chap I'm doing the work for actually has one but it's not working as well as mine! Steenbeck were never intended to output sound for recording- you went to a dubbing suite to do that, but they're long gone, so I've made some modifications so it plugs into the PC.;)

I was trying to imagine that! I ran the sound lab in film school did a lot of mag transfers on the transfer machines for students in the evenings.

Went on my first organised group bike ride since the lockdown began. Numbers limited to 6.  We mainly followed off road tracks but included some quiet minor roads. Enjoyed the exercise and company, but the coffee stops were all closed and navigational errors meant some unecessary steep hills to climb (a lack of recent practice, not to mention advancing years, meant I had to walk up one of them). Never fear, a further step towards normality.

22 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Went on my first organised group bike ride since the lockdown began. Numbers limited to 6.  We mainly followed off road tracks but included some quiet minor roads. Enjoyed the exercise and company, but the coffee stops were all closed and navigational errors meant some unecessary steep hills to climb (a lack of recent practice, not to mention advancing years, meant I had to walk up one of them). Never fear, a further step towards normality.

It's a good feeling to get back to some normality, particularly so if it involves physical exercise. When we got out of lockdown in Alice Springs, we headed towards the desert where I had spotted a trig point on top of an escarpment. There was a trail which I thought would gently go up and down in the hills before leading us through a gap and then to the top. I wish!! It took 4h40mn of a killer hike. The last bit to the top was a vertical cliff face. We crawled back to our vehicle, sometimes inelegantly on our bum, and laid prostrate for 2 days in our motorhome, every muscle aching. Reading about that hike later on, it is rated for advanced fit walkers and the last climb not for the faint hearted. I was so pleased not to read this beforehand, we would have never gone.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I was trying to imagine that! I ran the sound lab in film school did a lot of mag transfers on the transfer machines for students in the evenings.

I couldn't find a convenient point to get a line-level output so I've just taken it from the speaker output to the mic input on the PC and level it up in Audacity. Then a 1kHz start mark, a bit of hum reduction and bingo. Delivery the file by Wetransfer and money in the bank next day.

I still get a kick out of just watching the sprockets go by.

Edited by spacecadet

Last day for giving Belle the cat antibiotic liquids in a plastic applicator.  I have not photographed my left hand's scratches.  She's okay with my washing her belly with neutral saline and applying the wound cream.   We have another week to go on that.   My British retired nurse friend recommended neutral saline as better than the tintura de yodo (tincture of iodine) for wound cleaning purposes.   Will get another tube of the wound cream tomorrow. 

35 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Last day for giving Belle the cat antibiotic liquids in a plastic applicator.  I have not photographed my left hand's scratches.  She's okay with my washing her belly with neutral saline and applying the wound cream.   We have another week to go on that.   My British retired nurse friend recommended neutral saline as better than the tintura de yodo (tincture of iodine) for wound cleaning purposes.   Will get another tube of the wound cream tomorrow. 

Is the next tube of wound cream for your hand?🤨

Allan

11 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Is the next tube of wound cream for your hand?🤨

Allan

We had the last dose of antibiotic late afternoon.  Belle is less upset by the wound cream.  The scratches aren't that bad :).

On 12/07/2020 at 02:52, spacecadet said:

I couldn't find a convenient point to get a line-level output so I've just taken it from the speaker output to the mic input on the PC and level it up in Audacity. Then a 1kHz start mark, a bit of hum reduction and bingo. Delivery the file by Wetransfer and money in the bank next day.

I still get a kick out of just watching the sprockets go by.

Wow, I can follow all that. Audacity is one of my favorite sound tools. I still work on rewinders to prepare 16mm for transfer to video. I rarely get on a Steenbeck anymore, though my friend does have one and lets me work on it if I want.

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Those carrots look delicious. 
My good news is that I get back $1,235.00 from Uncle Sam this year.  I had to pay him the last couple of tax years.

Thank Betty they are very tasty. I have 4 other plant pots doing the same so you can grow over 140+ carrots in a couple of pots on the patio, take up no room in the veg plot and no thinning out.

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Those carrots look delicious. 
My good news is that I get back $1,235.00 from Uncle Sam this year.  I had to pay him the last couple of tax years.

I should have sent you the check, I owed nearly $5,000 to the Feds and state.  Ouch....especially when I haven’t worked more during these last few months.

Edited by Michael Ventura

• Alamy locked this topic