Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Managed to take some pretty decent pictures of comet neowise early this morning that have actually come out better than I expected. Made the 160 mile four hour round trip worth it. Not far off filling the frame at 85mm on APS-C which surprised me.

Going to chance my arm with a downsized (6MP) single on Alamy later, to be honest I think they'd be gits not to accept it but we'll see...

12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

What a chore she had. My goodness. We never stop worrying, do we?

No, I don’t think we ever stop worrying, especially during these strange times.

A good thing that happened to me (yesterday) was a surprise treat from my neighbor. Banana nut muffins right out of the oven! I had three instead of dinner. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

No, I don’t think we ever stop worrying, especially during these strange times.

A good thing that happened to me (yesterday) was a surprise treat from my neighbor. Banana nut muffins right out of the oven! I had three instead of dinner. 

That reminds me of the apple pie I baked. For lunch, my daughter and I had a fourth of the pie...each...ate nothing else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

Just made a really good vegetable biryani. Onion, garlic, courgette, carrot and green beans from the garden. And raita with our own cucumber. Living the ‘Good Life’! 

Hmm, UK courgette is U.S. squash?

Dont have a clue what biryani or raita is. I’ll drool anyway. :D 
I had a tomato sandwich for lunch. Instead of mayo, I used blue cheese dressing on it.

I battled aphids that showed up on my milkweed yesterday and won. (Flexing muscles)

Little yellow devils. I was told when I bought the milkweed plants this spring that it would be a given that I would get aphids on them.

Edited by Betty LaRue

I’ve enjoyed this thread so much. I hope you all have, too. 
Every time I turn on the news, I hear virus doom and gloom, political posturing and name calling, riots, shootings....you name it.

I can choose what to put my focus on. The juicy, flavorful tomatoes I’m growing, the love Echo (my parrot) and I share, the taste of a fresh apple pie.

A visit from one of my daughters, my son coming from Alabama to see me.

And I’m seeing what you all are enjoying in your lives. I love seeing those day-in-the-life tidbits, you are giving me joy.

One thing I’ve always noticed. No matter how bad segments of my life have been, and yeah, some were really bad, I have always managed to find joy in something, no matter how small, every day.
Watching a bird bathe in my bird bath, reading or hearing a good joke, making a nice sale on Alamy...it really doesn’t matter what it is or how small it is, I pay attention and it lifts my spirits. Sometimes it can be as simple as my hair looking good, doing what I want it to do. And believe me, with naturally curly hair, sometimes it wins!
Today I ran into the market for teabags, and I felt happy to see everyone obeying the mask mandate, instead of feeling depressed that life as I know it, has changed. 
Thank y’all. Keep ‘em coming.

Betty

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Thank you, Betty, for starting this thread.  It may have relative little to do with stock photography in particular but we are all people with lives outside of this biz and I too love hearing the good stuff, big or small!  It's my favorite thread.

• Love 2

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Hmm, UK courgette is U.S. squash?

Dont have a clue what biryani or raita is. I’ll drool anyway. :D 
I had a tomato sandwich for lunch. Instead of mayo, I used blue cheese dressing on it.

🤔 Courgette is zucchini to you! Biryani is an Indian spicy baked rice dish and raita is grated cucumber in yogurt. Monday is usually veggie curry night for us! 

I made a good sale today for a puzzle. I love puzzles, electronic ones these days. The price was also well above $$$, so I'm twice happy.

Yesterday, we camped again with co-isolators who have become friends. They are like us, travelling indefinitely, going where the wind/Covid pushes them, wondering where/if they'll settle somewhere one day. We had an excellent fun drink(s) time, everyone was so happy. Life is good. However, we are down to earth and do not take it for granted. We live in the minute with the motto "every day something new". The 'something new' for today is in the 'Post a bad thing that happened to you today'. LOL.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Watched a pair of blackbirds feeding their young in the garden yesterday. They are fond of berberis berries. The youngsters are much the same size as the parents, but they are lighter in colour with a speckled breast, rather like a thrush. Got a couple of good sharp photos but, after cropping, too small for Alamy.  Hoped they might return today, and was ready with a longer lens,  but they didn't show up while I was there.  Fear not,  it was good to see.

Edited by Bryan

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Watched a pair of blackbirds feeding their young in the garden yesterday. They are fond of berberis berries. The youngsters are much the same size as the parents, but they are lighter in colour with a speckled breast, rather like a thrush. Got a couple of good sharp photos but, after cropping, too small for Alamy.  Hoped they might return today, and was ready with a longer lens,  but they didn't show up while I was there.  Fear not,  it was good to see.

Sorry they didn’t show up. I actually was lucky enough to get a few shots of a fledgling robin perched on my basement window cover. It totally was not afraid of me, but I was nervous because the neighbors on both sides have cats.

My daughter is coming up this Thursday from Oklahoma, and she, me and my other daughter will celebrate the first’s birthday. Request for another apple pie! Hen party, oh boy! Off to the market for more apples tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Sorry they didn’t show up. I actually was lucky enough to get a few shots of a fledgling robin perched on my basement window cover. It totally was not afraid of me, but I was nervous because the neighbors on both sides have cats.

Sad follow up. I posted my blackbird pics on Facebook and a friend responded. He'd been watchin the same scene in his garden when a hawk swooped and took out the fledgling bird. Red in tooth and claw I fear, but that's the way it is.

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Sad follow up. I posted my blackbird pics on Facebook and a friend responded. He'd been watchin the same scene in his garden when a hawk swooped and took out the fledgling bird. Red in tooth and claw I fear, but that's the way it is.

I used to watch a lot of wildlife shows in years gone by. I enjoyed seeing all animals raising young, and all the aspects of their lives. But the minute the film showed a predator taking down another animal, I switched channels. I know it is a part of life, but I don’t have to watch the slaughter. It distresses me.

Before I moved, I fed birds in my back garden. There was a sharp-shinned hawk that would sweep in and take a dove. Feathers everywhere. I can’t tell you the times I ran out yelling and banging something to scare the hawk off. I felt like I was offering the hawk a meal by attracting so many birds. Easy pickings. Sometimes I would hear a loud cacophony of distressed chirps. I’d go out, and sure enough, the hawk would be perched on the fence. I’d scare it off, and about a hundred sparrows would come boiling out of my honeysuckle vines where they had sheltered from the hawk.

I no longer put out seed where I live now. Too many cats around, and I don’t want to end up hating my neighbors’ cats. I actually found a new home for a cat we owned once when I saw the feathers from a Baltimore Oriole in our yard. It never occurred to me I could get a litter box and keep the cat in, nobody I ever knew was doing that back then.  Plus the cat was stalking my parakeet when it was in the house. Cats are natural hunters and I understand that. I just can’t reconcile myself to it, even though I had a beloved cat as a teenager.

Of course, there are hawks here, too.  I miss my birds. But I don’t miss the way I felt to see one killed.

Betty

MCTF5J.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Betty, we used to have a lovely Russian Blue cat, he lived until 20. He would sit on top of a shelter we built for our cats and ignored all the birds. My worry was that as the birds became used to him they would think visiting cats would also ignore them. The birds could differentiate between our friendly cat and the hunters that visited.

Now we have a cat that would kill birds, so have feeders up high on a pole that he can’t climb. They now co-exist, but never land on the lawn. It’s worked for 2 years now.

Little surprise for me in the post. A letter from Telefonica (O2), who used to be my mobile phone provider about 6 years ago before I changed to 3mobile, for a refund of credit balance.

I did not even know they did that.  Balance plus interest for the period came to just under £19.

Better than me owing them.

Allan

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Little surprise for me in the post. A letter from Telefonica (O2), who used to be my mobile phone provider about 6 years ago before I changed to 3mobile, for a refund of credit balance.

I did not even know they did that.  Balance plus interest for the period came to just under £19.

Better than me owing them.

Allan

How nice! Unexpected bounty is always nice!

Had a HAIRCUT today.  First one since December 2019.  I was about to put it up in curlers and have a perm.

Allan

A dream come true. I ate a delicious pasta lunch in (or outside) a restaurant. My first time since the lockdown. What a pleasure. It was even a nice day in spite of dire weather reports. Somehow there was a slight breeze as we sat under an awning so it wasn't too hot. Such a treat.

Paulette

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Had a HAIRCUT today.  First one since December 2019.  I was about to put it up in curlers and have a perm.

Allan

My wife has been cutting my hair for the last 41 years, so no worries during lockdown.

25 minutes ago, sb photos said:

My wife has been cutting my hair for the last 41 years, so no worries during lockdown.

A very, very long time ago I used to perm Ian’s hair á la Marc Bolan. These days a quick no. 2 with the clippers does the job! 

• Alamy locked this topic