Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

I have a new tooth at last! I have been getting a dental implant and had my old tooth removed probably a year ago. I had just reached the point where they put in the new tooth when the lockdown began. The implants take a long time and are weird with a screw being put into your jaw as the "root" but I had one done years ago and it's like having a real tooth but with no nerve to get into trouble. I went to the dentist on the subway and it is still not too crowded in the middle of the day. We are pretty much 100% masked these days at least inside. It can be fun to see what the fashionable young women do. I saw a woman today wearing a beautiful patterned summer dress and she was wearing a mask that picked up a color from the dress. Very stylish.

 

Paulette

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I have a new tooth at last! I have been getting a dental implant and had my old tooth removed probably a year ago. I had just reached the point where they put in the new tooth when the lockdown began. The implants take a long time and are weird with a screw being put into your jaw as the "root" but I had one done years ago and it's like having a real tooth but with no nerve to get into trouble. I went to the dentist on the subway and it is still not too crowded in the middle of the day. We are pretty much 100% masked these days at least inside. It can be fun to see what the fashionable young women do. I saw a woman today wearing a beautiful patterned summer dress and she was wearing a mask that picked up a color from the dress. Very stylish.

 

Paulette

I have 5 or so masks of my artwork from fine art America on them. I enjoy wearing them. Well...as much as I can...I’d rather not, but I’m doing my part. It’s a mandate here, but I wore them before, too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cycled with my wife to the coast in sunshine and shared a cup of tea (OK my middle name is parsimony - but you don't need those vast card cup fulls). While sitting there we hatched a plan.

 

For many years cycling groups have been trying to persuade the Tyne and Wear Metro system to allow the carriage of bikes during off peak periods. This was recently agreed, (although bikes are still verboten on the underground stretch beneath Newcastle) so we thought we'd give it a go. I cycled to the end of the line and she rode to the nearest station and caught a train. We arrived almost simultaneously.  Photo to follow, if it passes QC.....

 

2CCRMP6.jpg

Should make it clear that she was wearing a mask while travelling on the train!

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I have a new tooth at last! I have been getting a dental implant and had my old tooth removed probably a year ago. I had just reached the point where they put in the new tooth when the lockdown began. The implants take a long time and are weird with a screw being put into your jaw as the "root" but I had one done years ago and it's like having a real tooth but with no nerve to get into trouble. 

 

Paulette

 

I had two implants done with three teeth on them. Luckily the year long process ended in February otherwise I would have had a long wait. It was nice to be able to bite again!! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have 5 or so masks of my artwork from fine art America on them. I enjoy wearing them. Well...as much as I can...I’d rather not, but I’m doing my part. It’s a mandate here, but I wore them before, too.

 

I made lots of face masks during lockdown, donating loads to charity but have kept some for me and family. My favourites are made from silk sari fabric so they are really light to wear. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Cycled with my wife to the coast in sunshine and shared a cup of tea (OK my middle name is parsimony - but you don't need those vast card cup fulls). While sitting there we hatched a plan.

 

For many years cycling groups have been trying to persuade the Tyne and Wear Metro system to allow the carriage of bikes during off peak periods. This was recently agreed, (although bikes are still verboten on the underground stretch beneath Newcastle) so we thought we'd give it a go. I cycled to the end of the line and she rode to the nearest station and caught a train. We arrived almost simultanesously.  Photo to follow, if it passes QC.....

 

Off to North Yorkshire coast with our bikes in a couple of weeks time. Hoping for good weather......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As I was taking this shot a voice behind said "Be sure to label that photo as Whitley Bay when you publish it"  -  It isn't Whitley Bay

People enjoying summer sunshine on the beach north of Seaton Sluice, Northumberland, England, UK - Stock Image

but compared to the beaches in the deep south (of the UK), Whitley Bay itself wasn't crowded

Families enjoy warm summer sunshine on the beach at Whitley Bay, in north east England, UK - Stock Image

If you look at the full size version of this photo you will see a youngster almost disappeared into a hole that he has dug, you can just make out his hat protruding from the sand in the bottom left of the shot. I didn't notice it at the time.

 
Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cropped and ate the first of our sweetcorn (maize) yesterday, unhealthily coated in butter, but delicious. 🙂

 

But forgot to take a photo 😟

 

Didn't maize save the lives of the first British settlers in the US, when the native americans introduced it to them?  I'm surprised that it grows well in these chilly parts, and even further north in Scotland.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Cropped and ate the first of our sweetcorn (maize) yesterday, unhealthily coated in butter, but delicious. 🙂

 

But forgot to take a photo 😟

 

Didn't maize save the lives of the first British settlers in the US, when the native americans introduced it to them?  I'm surprised that it grows well in these chilly parts, and even further north in Scotland.

You made me salivate. I love what we call corn on the cob. If you do photograph the next batch, use that as a keyword phrase.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You made me salivate. I love what we call corn on the cob. If you do photograph the next batch, use that as a keyword phrase.

 

Important ingredient of any campsite meal!

Maybe next year.

 

wim

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My good thing is it’s supposed to cool off tomorrow. Today it reached 98F which is about 36.6C. Blistering, and also humid which puts the heat index well above 100.

I can’t wait. 
I tried a new dish today. 
Cabbage Hashbrowns.
2 cups shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion. Whisk 2 large eggs with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and ground pepper to taste. Pour over cabbage and onion. Mix well. Divide into fourths, place balls of it In a hot skillet, med heat With 1 tablespoon oil. Press down and flatten with utensil. Fry each side about 3 minutes until browned. Not bad (Not wonderful) for limiting carbs and using up that garden cabbage (or whatever you call it in the UK.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:


I tried a new dish today. 
Cabbage Hashbrowns.
2 cups shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion. Whisk 2 large eggs with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and ground pepper to taste. Pour over cabbage and onion. Mix well. Divide into fourths, place balls of it In a hot skillet, med heat With 1 tablespoon oil. Press down and flatten with utensil. Fry each side about 3 minutes until browned. Not bad (Not wonderful) for limiting carbs and using up that garden cabbage (or whatever you call it in the UK.)

 

That’s quite like Turkish Zucchini (courgette) fritters which are really tasty.  They have bits of crumbled up feta cheese in them . And flour to bind the  egg so not as low carb. 

I have at least 8 courgettes in the fridge and more ready to pick, might make some!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My good thing is it’s supposed to cool off tomorrow. Today it reached 98F which is about 36.6C. Blistering, and also humid which puts the heat index well above 100.

I can’t wait. 
I tried a new dish today. 
Cabbage Hashbrowns.
2 cups shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion. Whisk 2 large eggs with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt and ground pepper to taste. Pour over cabbage and onion. Mix well. Divide into fourths, place balls of it In a hot skillet, med heat With 1 tablespoon oil. Press down and flatten with utensil. Fry each side about 3 minutes until browned. Not bad (Not wonderful) for limiting carbs and using up that garden cabbage (or whatever you call it in the UK.)

 

Sounds tasty, might give it a try !

 

We've got red cabbage to lift next week and looking for recipes. Seem to recall frying with onions garlic and apple?

 

Most things taste better with onions and garlic! When I'm in vegetarian mode I substitute onion gravy for meat. 

Edited by Bryan
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

 

That’s quite like Turkish Zucchini (courgette) fritters which are really tasty.  They have bits of crumbled up feta cheese in them . And flour to bind the  egg so not as low carb. 

I have at least 8 courgettes in the fridge and more ready to pick, might make some!

 

Courgettes, they grow like weeds, and if you neglect the plants for a couple of days you have an enormous marrow on your hands. We have had some strange albino courgettes this year, variety Zucchini, they are mostly green, but some almost white. Can't say that I can tell any difference in the taste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan said:

We've got red cabbage to lift next week and looking for recipes. Seem to recall frying with onions garlic and apple?

 

Most things taste better with onions and garlic! When I'm in vegetarian mode I substitute onion gravy for meat. 

 

Red cabbage and beetroot (your favourite!) in this recipe:

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/pink-beetroot-cabbage-pickle-recipe/

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

Red cabbage and beetroot (your favourite!) in this recipe:

 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/pink-beetroot-cabbage-pickle-recipe/

 

Thanks, interesting but a bit involved ! Fermentation for 10 to 14 days, but stores without freezing for up to 24 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My good thing is it’s supposed to cool off tomorrow. Today it reached 98F which is about 36.6C. Blistering, and also humid which puts the heat index well above 100.

I can’t wait. 

 

It didn't reach 60 in Liverpool today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

Sounds tasty, might give it a try !

 

We've got red cabbage to lift next week and looking for recipes. Seem to recall frying with onions garlic and apple?

 

Most things taste better with onions and garlic! When I'm in vegetarian mode I substitute onion gravy for meat. 

The thing about this recipe is it takes only a few minutes to prepare, about 3 minutes, a few more to fry. Very easy and quick. I like easy and quick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just chilly but windy today, yet most of the Scouser lads were running around in T-shirt and the lassies were in shorts with bare legs. They're a hearty bunch. (I had my down jacket on with a scarf.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Not just chilly but windy today, yet most of the Scouser lads were running around in T-shirt and the lassies were in shorts with bare legs. They're a hearty bunch. (I had my down jacket on with a scarf.)

In my part of the country, I see people in shorts , tee shirts and sandals when I’m dressed like you, too, Ed. I guess some people are just hot natured. I’m not counted as one.

We had a rain overnight, and nice mid to high 70s all day. Capris and a tee shirt are perfect. 
I fixed a delicious spaghetti and meatball dinner with oven-toasted garlic bread. 😋

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Went out for a walk this morning. Thought I would take my Sony A6000 and attached 90mm Macro lens with me. Not actually aiming to take photos. (nothing in mind)

 

When I got back home 1 and 1/2 hours later I discovered I had taken 158 photos. The camera was set on high speed multi shot..

 

After deleting duplicates and some others that were not worthwhile processing I was left with twelve images. (Phew). Well I now have a backlog of 200 images to process.

 

Allan

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.