Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

On 28/07/2020 at 15:16, John Morrison said:

Blimey, will the relationship survive a few nights under canvas? 😮

I once took my fiancée on a camping trip. The relationship blossomed and she became my wife/friend and sole-mate.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
Spell correction after advice by Gen
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

We got a permit to go to a very remote area in indigenous land. The first hurdle will be this crossing at the very beginning of the trip. This is a tidal crossing which has to be crossed at low tide. Then it will be about 10 hours' drive on a corrugated track. We're not allowed to stop on the way, being Indigenous land. Adventure for sure. Can't wait.

PS. Oh dear what have I done. We're now arguing on the calculations of crossing times on the 15th August. Take the official Darwin tide times, add 5 h 30 to it for Cahill's Crossing. Crossing is possible 2h on either side of high tide. I think I got it right now. 6:39am. Which will be interesting given that daylight is at 7:00.

We watched a bus full of tourists go across with quite high water, the bus was being pushed to the side and I really thought it might go over but they made it... thank goodness!! Good luck :)

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I once took my fiancé on a camping trip. The relationship blossomed and she became my wife/friend and sole-mate.

Allan

It always takes me by surprise to read 'fiancé'. This is masculin in French. Should be 'fiancée'.

1 minute ago, Bella said:

We watched a bus full of tourists go across with quite high water, the bus was being pushed to the side and I really thought it might go over but they made it... thank goodness!! Good luck :)

I saw a video of a ute being swept aside against the rocks. A crocodile was clearly seen on the side. The person was struggling against the current outside the car while berating the onlookers 'nobody is helping me!". Yeah right. Perhaps a more reasonable choice of crossing time next time?

14 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I saw a video of a ute being swept aside against the rocks. A crocodile was clearly seen on the side. The person was struggling against the current outside the car while berating the onlookers 'nobody is helping me!". Yeah right. Perhaps a more reasonable choice of crossing time next time?

Exactly!! Who would be jumping in with the crocs there... not me!!!

31 minutes ago, gvallee said:

It always takes me by surprise to read 'fiancé'. This is masculin in French. Should be 'fiancée'.

My favourite is when English speakers tell you about their beau cul (beaucoup mispronounced. Cul is slang for your derrière) 😀

9 minutes ago, Steve F said:

My favourite is when English speakers tell you about their beau cul (beaucoup mispronounced. Cul is slang for your derrière) 😀

Excellent. I have a long list of examples. I was quite startled when my mother-in-law told me 'she was dancing with a toutou'. Hey? She's dancing with a poodle?? Ha got it. Tutu.

Another sale today and 3 more zooms. The zooms related to 1 session, 17 of 44 views and 3 of 4 zooms. Fingers crossed, 2 images from the same shoot previously sold, hopefully more. The sun is shining too, no black clouds.

Edited by sb photos

So far, I’m winning the war with the tiny, yellow aphids on my milkweed. I go out 3 or 4 times a day and inspect. If I find a few, I squish them between my fingers. Sometimes I know where to look because of ant activity, who are desperately depositing them on the leaves so they can benefit from the honeydew the aphids produce.
That’s me...ant and aphid detective.

Finally got the US government Coronavirus stimulus money deposited to my US bank account as did a number of other expats who were collecting Social Security while in possession of a foreign bank account and/or some self-employment money coming in ( not enough to pay self-employment taxes on).   Given that I want to refurbish my patio and replace plastic ground level pots with terracotta, this is good.  And I see a need for Italian takeout from the local Florentine-owned restaurant that delivers when my helper comes in to clean my house this weekend.  And $1K goes for renewing my residency in November or early December and buying some electronic toy with what's left over.

43 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Finally got the US government Coronavirus stimulus money deposited to my US bank account as did a number of other expats who were collecting Social Security while in possession of a foreign bank account and/or some self-employment money coming in ( not enough to pay self-employment taxes on).   Given that I want to refurbish my patio and replace plastic ground level pots with terracotta, this is good.  And I see a need for Italian takeout from the local Florentine-owned restaurant that delivers when my helper comes in to clean my house this weekend.  And $1K goes for renewing my residency in November or early December and buying some electronic toy with what's left over.

That's good news. Uncle Sam works in mysterious ways sometimes. 😉

Decided to take the afternoon off and went to see what was doing at Hemswell Antiques Centre. Some interesting items but only managed to visit three of the centres leaving the other three for another day. Had a coffee and piece of wallnut cake while I was there. YUM!

Allan

• Love 2

I had lunch outside a restaurant again and we were entertained for a while by a mama sparrow and her three fledglings. They could all fly perfectly well but only to go to mama for more food. So sweet.

Paulette

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Decided to take the afternoon off and went to see what was doing at Hemswell Antiques Centre. Some interesting items but only managed to visit three of the centres leaving the other three for another day. Had a coffee and piece of wallnut cake while I was there. YUM!

Allan

You made me hungry. I’ll go rummage in my kitchen, now.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Have missed browsing round antique centres more  than any other sort of shopping! Amazon can’t fill that gap!!

9 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I've just eaten too many strawberries. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Saves them going to waste. They are nice with Greek yogurt.  I find supermarket strawberries go off very quickly, many on the shelves are often past their best. 

8 hours ago, NYCat said:

I don't recognize the concept of too many strawberries.

My theory is that we're getting the tastiest strawberries that would normally have been consumed at Wimbledon. 😎

36 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I find supermarket strawberries go off very quickly,

I've never waited long enough to find out...

Edited by John Morrison

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Happy I had twinkies in the cupboard, thankyouverymuch, Allan.

You are welcome. What are "Twinkies"?

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic