Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Just now, I got my troublesome new radio working! I thought, what if I . . . and it's working! 😃

Can you remember what you did to get it going?

Allan

Ahhh, no. Forgive me, Allan, but explaining tech stuff I have no real understanding of is not my thing. I got DAB working but not FM. 

I did write a manual for a light meter for Nikon. I had a terrible Japanese to English translation of the original. I remember their title. "How To Do Usefully." 

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ahhh, no. Forgive me, Allan, but explaining tech stuff I have no real understanding of is not my thing. I got DAB working but not FM. 

I did write a manual for a light meter for Nikon. I had a terrible Japanese to English translation of the original. I remember their title. "How To Do Usefully." 

Ah yes. The good old translations of instructions. AH SO!  I used to ignore them and work out how to use the instrument myself. It was easier in those days, not lots of menus to sort out.

Allan

Anyway who buys a DAB radio to listen to FM?  As I see it FM is there just in case.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

When ferreting out the wine kit (I think I reported elsewhere on making a small amount of Müller-Thurgau/Rivaner from a friend's grape crop) I found a 35-year-old tin of Boots beer concentrate (they were the go-to guys for brewing and winemaking then) and an immersion heater. So I have two gallons of alleged bitter🍻 on the go as well as wine🍷, and either some ants are having a Scuba party down there in the brewing bin, or it's fermenting.

Edited by spacecadet

29 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

As long as I can find a bottle of Pinot Noir or Sancerre, I won't be brewing my own. In the States, that would be bootlegging.

Well at our rate of consumption it's not a serious attempt at replacing any of it. Just a larf and something to do, again. Rivaner is an indifferent wine grape at the best of times- although there are some promising ones in the Mosel lately- but it's one of the few white wine grapes that will even bother ripening in northern climes- read England. It's why Mr. Müller created the variety in the Thurgau in 1882.

Although we haven't had any draught ale (as opposed to lager or bottled) since February. It's rather alarming that I don't particularly miss it.

I don't fancy filling in a passport application just to get a drink.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

Good to hear that things are going well for you in the well-run city state of Singapore, Gui. 🙂

Last night (today starts at midnight) I slept soundly until the phone alarm woke me at 7:30. That's the first time in many years that I did not wake up with foot and leg cramps. Why? Two months ago I decided to stop taking the statin Rx that my NYC doctors prescribed. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Good to hear that things are going well for you in the well-run city state of Singapore, Gui. 🙂

Last night (today starts at midnight) I slept soundly until the phone alarm woke me at 7:30. That's the first time in many years that I did not wake up with foot and leg cramps. Why? Two months ago I decided to stop taking the statin Rx that my NYC doctors prescribed. 

Edo

Have you checked with your local doctor if it is safe to just stop taking the tablets?

Allan

23 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

As long as I can find a bottle of Pinot Noir or Sancerre, I won't be brewing my own. In the States, that would be bootlegging.

Only if you sell it to others. You can brew and consume your own brew.

Some years ago, there was a recipe for making homemade wine. Grape juice, I think. You mixed up the ingredients in a gallon jug, usually a cleaned out milk jug, then put an uninflated balloon over the neck. In a few weeks (don’t remember) when the balloon inflated, the wine was ready.

Hubs & I went on a camping trip with my sister and brother-in-law in early autumn, October, I believe. We had brought some cheap, but very good apple wine. One was called Easy Days, the other Mellow Nights. My sis also brought her homemade wine.

At the end of the day, we’d sit around the campfire warming our feet and have a glass or two of the apple wine.

So, while sis & I were at the showers, the guys polished off all the apple wine. No sharing. Sis & I were furious. So while the guys were fishing, we decided to polish off the homemade wine which as wine goes, was just barely drinkable. We each had one glass down, and poured another into our plastic cups.

About then, we heard the guys rattling fishing gear and talking behind the hill on their way back from the lake.

Our eyes bugged out and we chugged that second glass of wine so the guys wouldn’t catch us at it. These were camp cups, probably held 10-12 ounces.

As we sat around the fire on a chilly, misty day, that wine hit me like a ton of bricks. My eyes crossed, the world spun and I thought I was going to lose my cookies. The wine was very sweet.

I signaled sis that we needed to walk. So we take off around a winding road in the campgrounds, while the mist hitting my face worked its magic. I’m sure the guys, walking well-behind, wondered why my gait seemed to cover the whole road, one side to the other. My sister was not affected as much.

I never touched homemade wine again. Never will.

Edited by Betty LaRue

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Coincidentally I was told today that a lack of salt in the diet can give rise to leg cramps, however we don't use salt in cooking and we don't suffer.   Not sure what to make of that.

I was advised to take statins a few years ago, but decided against. The case was marginal. Instead I changed my diet to limit fat intake to reduce chlorestrol, which, in practice, has made no difference. I suspect it's to do with my genes, therefore doomed!

Edo, did you notice that you had a pic in the Times today?  Won't make you rich, but a cheering step in the right direction.

Good thing today, I heard that the other party's insurers are going to pay to have our car fixed, I was concerned that it might be written off. We might still get away in our caravan this year.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Edo, did you notice that you had a pic in the Times today?

I did? Couldn't fine it. Can you post it here? Or just tell me what the subject is? 

My son has been eating  21 eggs a week forever and he has low chlostorol. I use a little sea salt when I cook. I eat everything but mostly what''s healthy. I've never smoked—that's important. I do 16-8 intermittent fasting. That is I eat just 2 meals a day. 

• Love 1

My good thing, I had a four hour, socially-distanced visit with an old friend today. I have a decent-sized garage, so I swept it up a bit and ran a fan for added air circulation with the large doors open, too. It was great to catch up.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

On 07/10/2020 at 17:16, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

Hi Edo, unfortunately unemployment rate went up 3.4%, worse than the 2009 financial crisis. For me am practicing self affirmation, seems like working bit by bit despite during this turmoil. 

A great pub lunch in my local of 30 years ago, courtesy of friend who prefers not to eat alone. Vast roof-tiles of steak and gorgonzola pie and chips for us and Barbary duck (see uploads) for OH.

First time in a pub since February, so a pint of Youngs ordinary (or whatever it's called nowadays). And wine and more wine.

This one is from 2012 but you get my drift.

D1CCHC.jpg

Edit: Youngs London Original. Hmph.

Edited by spacecadet

Today there are some birthdays to celebrate/observe

1873 – Karl Schwarzschild (old greybeards will remember his -effect on film exposure)
1907 – Jacques Tati (Jour de fête! Monsieur Hulot's Holiday! But above all: Mon Oncle!  - he died in 1982)
1911 – Joe Rosenthal (Iwo Jima - died in 2006 at 94)
1935 – Don McCullin (84)

1947 - France Gall (Poupee de Cire, Poupee de Son - Eurovision Song Contest 1965 - she died in 2018 aged 70)
1975 – Sean Lennon (son of:

1940 - John (who would have celebrated his 80th birthday today)

And yes 1966 - David Cameron the one who gave you that referendum. (53 now)

After listening to some lovely France Gall and John Lennon music while keywording some traffic lights:

2D38FRB.jpg

it turned out (researching those) it's also the 53rd anniversary of the death of Che Guevara (aged 39 in 1967).

So since that moment I'm listening to my playlist of Hasta Siempre Commandante.

This is one of my favorite versions. And this one makes me quite nostalgic.

The playlist is over 400 long, but I'm sure there are some duplicates in there, but not a whole lot 😁.

Some more extremely long playlists of mine include: Ghost Riders in the Sky (2; 3)

And the also appropriate:

Les Feuilles Mortes -Autumn Leaves for most of you (Chet Baker, Eva Cassidy live at the Blues Alley DC - for if you need a good cry.)

Both over 250 items long. 😎

wim

Edit: Pruned back my Hasta Siempre collection, weeding out all false attributions and duplicates. Result: 324 versions with correct performers and 22 with unknown ones.

Edited by wiskerke
  • Love 1

First curry for a long time last night with exactly 6 of us. Shami kebak and saali duck, great to be back but with a mad chuck-out at 2145 thanks to the latest swivel-eyed regulations.

You have to wear a mask unless seated and my glasses steamed up as always (the demisting trick doesn't stop them getting cold) so I had to take them off and get a friend to point to the table. Should have tried a flipping white stick.

Edited by spacecadet

Not today but close enough, yesterday. 

Finally revisited Pin Mill after a long long time. Car park in Pin Mill Lane was full, not unexpected. Free village car park was being resurfaced, found a side road to park in. Was in a time warp, not much changed since I last visited other than the decaying wooden hulks had decayed a little more. Rained a little soon after arrival, but no problem. The rain drove away what appeared to be a camera club outing. Should have gone back to the car for my wellies but my trainers only sunk into mud a few times. Have a good percentage of keepers. The newly acquired C1 returned a good mpg, was almost all A41, M25 and A12, no traffic issues. A most enjoyable trip into Suffolk. 

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

Visited Lincoln city this morning. Had a nice time taking photos and conversing with people. The boss in Grayz Tea Room, where I stopped for lunch, recognised me from a visit I made back in August last year. That made my day.   Must get stuck in and get the images uploaded to the big A now.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Visited Lincoln city this morning. Had a nice time taking photos and conversing with people. The boss in Grayz Tea Room, where I stopped for lunch, recognised me from a visit I made back in August last year. That made my day.   Must get stuck in and get the images uploaded to the big A now.

Allan

I went to Lincoln for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I'm wading through my images as we speak.

John.

45 minutes ago, Stokie said:

I went to Lincoln for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. I'm wading through my images as we speak.

John.

Wish I had known we could have met up. Socially distancing of course. I might have been able to help you.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic