Post a good thing that happened in your life today

15 hours ago, sb photos said:

Yours or a neighbours cat paying a visit? My cat is very vocal first thing in the day. Our discussion is usually regarding what of the many cat food tins or sachets he fancies for breakfast. Our communication is very hit and miss, and he has no set favourite. If the choice is wrong it barely gets a sniff before he restarts our conversation. Today's choice was beef in jelly which he devoured. The neighbours cats usually gets the unwanted breakfast, they missed out today.

It was in a different part of the village on a walk when the cat approached me. We had not seen each other before so I said "Good morning" as he/she approached and he/she replied "Meeoooowwww".

Allan

18 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Today I visited Nempnett Thrubwell

Acker Bilk, the Wurzels and Gurt Lush Choir St Pauls have all played/sung "Down in Nempnett Thrubwell".

Allan

I'm not sure whether it really counts as "good" but I've managed to snag a Sony G lens to replace my current telephoto (a Tamron that cost less than a night out on the town) for a really great price used. About 1/2 the new price. Only caveat is it has "slight" dust inside, so we will see. Lens is very highly regarded and looks to be considerably sharper at f/5.6 than my Tamron at f/11 so looking forward to the opportunities I was otherwise missing.

Oh, and it's a Monday and I am still employed. So that is good also.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It was in a different part of the village on a walk when the cat approached me. We had not seen each other before so I said "Good morning" as he/she approached and he/she replied "Meeoooowwww".

Allan

Most of the time, if I can get a good look at a cat, I can tell the males from females. The male cat almost always has a longer nose/face.

I have just reached today a remote Outback town, Boulia, Queensland, which I had dreamt of visiting for a long time. I had read so many droving stories in that area in my old books.

The icing on the cake was a stupendously good animated show about the Min Min lights at the Information Centre. 200% Aussie. You go from one room to another in the dark to listen to stories spoken by very realistic Outback characters animated mannequins.

Min Min lights are an unexplained phenomenon, witnessed by Aborigines well before the arrival of Europeans, as well as cattlemen, truckers and generally people camping or travelling at night in the Outback. They are described as an eerie intensely bright light that seems to follow people. Not UFO type. Zillions witness stories about them, as well as Geographic Australia writing an article about them and various scientific studies having being carried out. Wow and super wow!! 

Edited by gvallee
Grammar for God's sake!!
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, gvallee said:

I have just reached today a remote Outback town, Boulia, Queensland, which I had dreamt of visiting for a long time. I had read so many droving stories in that area in my old books.

The icing of the cake was a stupendously good animated show about the Min Min lights at the Information Centre. 200% Aussie. You go from one room to another in the dark to listen to stories spoken by very realistic Outback characters animated mannequins.

Min Min lights are an unexplained phenomenon, witnessed by Aborigines well before the arrival of Europeans, as well as cattlemen, truckers and generally people camping or travelling at night in the Outback. They are described as an eerie intensely bright light that seems to follow people. Not UFO type. Zillions witness stories about them, as well as Geographic Australia writing an article about them and various scientific studies having being carried out. Wow and super wow!! 

Pictures or it didn't happen! Looking at Google images, it must be possible to create the lights yourself. But it may be a seasonal thing.

Interesting stories nonetheless. And such a remote place! I bet you don't need masks there.

Some weird light alright when searching for Min Min Lights on Alamy, but none of the real thing.

Looking at Boulia, that racecourse looks alien. You do have your drone with you, don't you?

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Pictures or it didn't happen! Looking at Google images, it must be possible to create the lights yourself. But it may be a seasonal thing.

Interesting stories nonetheless. And such a remote place! I bet you don't need masks there.

Some weird light alright when searching for Min Min Lights on Alamy, but none of the real thing.

Looking at Boulia, that racecourse looks alien. You do have your drone with you, don't you?

wim

Reading stories from my armchair at home, I am keen to see those lights, but translate that into reality, I am not so sure that I would like to see them at night alone in the bush...

You're right, for sure no masks needed here. In fact, we never needed any. We just spent 7 months in the Northern Territory, an area 3 times as big as France with a population of around 250,000. There has only been 33 cases in total there, none community transmission, only people returning from abroad and quarantined straight away. Now we've crossed into Queensland, an area 4 times as big as France, with only 5 active cases. 

I am writing this camping in beautiful bushland at the back of the Boulia racecourse, along the dried up Burke River. Not sure if the Camel Race was cancelled this year or not. I think the Min Min Lights Festival was.

Yes, I have my drone with me. I got a permit for the whole of Northern Territory. No permit is needed for Queensland. Of course, one has to respect the NFZ, etc. Here are a few shots with it. I'm having incredible fun. Did I crash it? Of course...

http://Tiny-Planet-Gove-3.jpg

http://Arnhem-Gove-Road.jpg

http://DJI-0065-Watermarked.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I trimmed a 13 foot snowball bush down to about 4 feet with my hedge trimmer. The most work was cutting all of the trimmings down to a foot so they’d compact easily in my waste bin. All of it close to 2 1/2 hours of work.

Three Althea trims to go. They’ll be easy by comparison. Maybe 15-30 minutes each.
Nice to have a start on my autumn work.
Later, I’ll have to hire someone for leaf raking. Most leaves that fall in my yard are from other people’s trees. 🙁

On 30/09/2020 at 00:54, Betty LaRue said:

Nice to have a start on my autumn work.
Later, I’ll have to hire someone for leaf raking. Most leaves that fall in my yard are from other people’s trees. 🙁

Fallen leaves make good compost. Gather them with a suction mower which will chop them nicely, and store in a chicken wire enclosure, turning occasionally. I have to collect  mine from around the neighbourhood. It's a gift from nature. I mix the leaf mould with some bought compost and sharp sand, great for tomatoes, hanging baskets etc.

• Upvote 1

Had email from Alamy telling me my submissions had passed QC.  First one uploaded 20th Sept then two more followed on 22nd and 30th, so taking the first upload my subs passed in less than two weeks and still only one star gen.

That could mean that the load on QC is easing.

Allan

• Like 1

This is a sort of good/bad thing. When I was visiting my wonderful travel companion last year she told me she had one credit card that she only uses online so when it had to be cancelled because of fraud it didn't cause a big problem. I took her advice and I have just found small amounts being charged to my online card... purportedly from Amazon. So I've had to spend some time with Amazon and with my credit card company but all is well and I will have a new card on Monday. None of my automatic payments will be affected since they are on another card.

Paulette

I've got work in a juried gallery exhibit opening tomorrow. I'm looking forward to showing my work again, it'll be socially distanced, in a big open loft area, with an outdoor reception with live music, fingers crossed all goes well. A tad nervous but overall a good thing. 

You can check it out here: https://tinyurl.com/y3w2mwve

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have my annual free flu jab this morning. Good as it will cut down on the possibility of catching flu. As well as seriously effecting some people, Flu can give symptoms similar to Coronavirus causing unnecessary testing and self isolation. Also there is the additional load put on the NHS in these uncertain times from elderly people with bad Flu. Relating to the UK, even if you aren't entitled to a free flu jab, I would recommend having one at a supermarket pharmacy as I previously did simply for convenience. Last time I did that they only cost around £10/12 if not entitled to a free vaccination.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

I have my annual free flu jab this morning. Good as it will cut down on the possibility of catching flu. As well as seriously effecting some people, Flu can give symptoms similar to Coronavirus causing unnecessary testing and self isolation. Also there is the additional load put on the NHS in these uncertain times from elderly people with bad Flu. Relating to the UK, even if you aren't entitled to a free flu jab, I would recommend having one at a supermarket pharmacy as I previously did simply for convenience. Last time I did that they only cost around £10/12 if not entitled to a free vaccination.

Worth every penny. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I have been eligible for the free jab for years.

Allan

• Like 1

Got my free jab last week at a drive-thru flu shot tent in a parking lot at my health care provider.  I loved this idea.  It encouraged people to get it done and it kept foot traffic out of their buildings. 

My flu jab is booked for next week.  Back in I think February I went to the Doctors for my jabs for a forthcoming trip which didn't take place.  However I was also offered a pneumonia jab whilst I was there so I had that also..

Carol

My doctors surgery flu jab procedure was very efficient. Socially distanced queue at the door, checking name, appointment time and 3 questions relating possibility of you having Covid-19 symptom before letting you in. Less than a minute distanced in waiting room before being ushered into a one way corridor and being asked to roll up sleeve ready for jab. Nurse in doorway with trolly full of small flu vaccine syringes. A quick jab and out through the back door.  Speaking to a woman on the way out to our cars we both wondered why previous flu jab days couldn't have been so efficiently run.

1 hour ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

My flu jab is booked for next week.  Back in I think February I went to the Doctors for my jabs for a forthcoming trip which didn't take place.  However I was also offered a pneumonia jab whilst I was there so I had that also..

Carol

At a recent checkup I was offered my Pneumococcal vaccination. Normally it's a once in a lifetime jab, unless like me you've had your spleen removed, then every 5 years as the antibodies reduce.

Edited by sb photos
2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The whisky arrived.

Everyone round to Marks.🥴

Allan

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

At a recent checkup I was offered my Pneumococcal vaccination. Normally it's a once in a lifetime jab, unless like me you've had your spleen removed, then every 5 years as the antibodies reduce.

I was offered a vaccine against Shingles about 4 years ago by my then surgery. When I read the information on the jab it was mentioned that when you have the jab for shingles it was possible for it to cause the little b+&^$£%s to flair up and give you a dose of it.

Refused the Shingles jab and the nurse said "I don't blame you."

Allan