Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Well actually it was yesterday, but I covered what I hope is the last "Pro-Trump" demonstration.

Looking forward to four years of not looking at what the last "embarrassing" thing that the U.S. president

Tweeted......

Chuck

It is not the embarrassment that has ever bothered me as I am not American but what I find absolutely astonishing is how so many people accept completely blatant lies as truth or simply don’t care and that so many people actually still voted for him. I think there will be many more demonstrations over the coming months as his embarrassingly outrageous claims of voter fraud and refusal to concede gracefully result in many more scenes of mayhem on the streets of American cities.

But it is so heartening that there is change afoot and hopefully Joe Biden will grace the unofficial title of Leader of the Free World for those of us who have no say in electing that person. I don’t think there has ever been an American presidential election that has been of such importance before on a national and global scale. 

• Love 3

On 07/11/2020 at 00:31, Michael Ventura said:

John, these new monitors like to be connected to your computer with an HDMI cable, tho a VGA may still work. So make sure the graphics card on your computer have the right ports to support a newer monitor.  I was lucky that mine did have an HDMI port, I am not sure if that is commonplace.  Good time to be on the Moon 🌚, how’s the WiFi?

The spec says it has D-Sub output as well- I had to look it up but apparently that's another name for VGA. So John is probably OK.

10 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Well actually it was yesterday, but I covered what I hope is the last "Pro-Trump" demonstration.

Looking forward to four years of not looking at what the last "embarrassing" thing that the U.S. president

Tweeted......

Chuck

We're all very relieved (and exhausted). A good thing has happened in all of our lives. Congrats. 🌝

• Love 1

Yesterday I was at the allotment as per usual, but on returning home and it becoming dark realised that my specs were not in my pocket.

I'm not sure whether or not opticians are working at present so could be a big problem, I need glasses to drive the car etc. I reasoned that I had tried to slip them into my shirt pocket for safety, but missed and they had slithered down within my outer clothing and onto the ground. Could have happened anywhere between the garden and the house.

Today I cycled slowly back scanning the ground all of the way, but no joy.  Got into the garden and still nothing, but on further investigation they were to be seen lurking at the side of the path and they were undamaged.  Phew.

In future for garden purposes I'll only use an old scratched pair from a previous prescription, secured around my neck with a cord.

• Love 2

I think a thread that has run for many months has become forum property to a certain extent.

This one is entitled "Post a good thing that happened in your life today". If one of those things, for some contributors, happens to be a certain event in world affairs I think we have to allow it- world affairs hardly being irrelevant to the work of a good number of contributors.

After all those who disagree can post as such in the "bad thing" thread. I don't yet see one about this particular event.

Yesterday's sourdough turned out quite well- we found out the mixing bowl was actually pyrex-type glass so I just left it in that. It couldn't flatten out in the second rising as it did on a tray so it stayed a bit more loafy in shape. Mmm.

One of these days I should take a photograph.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This is the thread I started. NO politics, please. This is a feel-good thread. Politics only stirs up anger.

No politics from me. I'm just happy that Donald J Trump has more time to work on his golf swing...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think a thread that has run for many months has become forum property to a certain extent.

This one is entitled "Post a good thing that happened in your life today". If one of those things, for some contributors, happens to be a certain event in world affairs I think we have to allow it- world affairs hardly being irrelevant to the work of a good number of contributors.

After all those who disagree can post as such in the "bad thing" thread. I don't yet see one about this particular event.

Yesterday's sourdough turned out quite well- we found out the mixing bowl was actually pyrex-type glass so I just left it in that. It couldn't flatten out in the second rising as it did on a tray so it stayed a bit more loafy in shape. Mmm.

One of these days I should take a photograph.

Mark, political comments in the forum have never ended well. There is a history, of which you cannot deny. And Alamy doesn’t approve. That’s why they have shut down threads before.

I started this thread as a place for happiness, and to get away from attacks of the like you participated in.

So if you want to start again, that means, to me, you still don’t value me as a forum member. And that’s ok. I can go elsewhere, do other things with my life where I am valued.

Your call.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

I support Betty with her call for no politics on this Alamy forum.  It simply never ends well and we risk losing each other as colleagues.  There are plenty of other places in social media where you can air your political points, grievances, elations etc...   Even if politics affects us all and our careers, it is not worth getting into a war of words, on this forum, that will ultimately solve nothing and possibly hurt many.  Just not worth it.  We have so much more we can share in our common bonds!

• Love 1
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Welcome news on a vaccine today. 🙂

people actually had to catch the virus so they could test it I think but they don't know if the vaccine will be as effective for older people. Too risky to test I would think

Edited by dunstun365

35 minutes ago, dunstun365 said:

people actually had to catch the virus so they could test it I think but they don't know if the vaccine will be as effective for older people. Too risky to test I would think

It’s hard to think that Covid 19 will reign over the world forever. I put faith in our brilliant scientists to find a solution.  Eventually.
The problem we are facing now is Covid fatigue and the upswing in risky behavior. People want their lives back. 
You have adults who, for the most part, no longer need to constantly be around peers, although family connections are a pull, and the singles who have a stronger social need, which doesn’t bode well for them.

52 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s hard to think that Covid 19 will reign over the world forever. I put faith in our brilliant scientists to find a solution.  Eventually.
The problem we are facing now is Covid fatigue and the upswing in risky behavior. People want their lives back. 
You have adults who, for the most part, no longer need to constantly be around peers, although family connections are a pull, and the singles who have a stronger social need, which doesn’t bode well for them.

On the BBC news today. America (Pfizzer) and Germany have developed an anti covid 19 vaccine which has a 90% success rate.

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I support Betty with her call for no politics on this Alamy forum.  It simply never ends well and we risk losing each other as colleagues.  There are plenty of other places in social media where you can air your political points, grievances, elations etc...   Even if politics affects us all and our careers, it is not worth getting into a war of words, on this forum, that will ultimately solve nothing and possibly hurt many.  Just not worth it.  We have so much more we can share in our common bonds!

I agree, but I will say one thing. It's a sad state of affairs when people living in a democracy -- a system that can only function properly in an atmosphere of good will and civility -- dare not mention anything that even hints of politics. It shows that the system is in danger of becoming totally dysfunctional. This is something we should all be very concerned about because the current alternatives to democracy are truly frightening. That's definitely good news about the COVID vaccine. I'll zip up and put on my mask now. 🤐 😷

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Welcome news on a vaccine today. 🙂

Indeed, although reading the small print it appears that it may take up to 6 weeks after the first injection (you need 2 at a month apart) before a person is fully protected, while there is no certainty that it will provide a long term fix.  Further it's not clear that the vaccinated person will not still pass on the disease even if asymptomatic.

However a ray of hope.....

Edited by Bryan

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Indeed, although reading the small print it appears that it may take up to 6 weeks after the first injection (you need 2 at a month apart) before a person is fully protected, while there is no certainty that it will provide a long term fix.  Further it's not clear that the vaccinated person will not still pass on the disease even if asymptomatic.

However a ray of hope.....

Yes Bryan, lots of small print.

• Alamy locked this topic