Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Eta hasn't rained enough on Jinotega (yet?) to have gotten water running from my courtyard into my house and the streets aren't running curb to curb.  I have been playing with the new Adobe Photographer Suite Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and with DXO PhotoLab 4, and drinking coffee from locally grown beans.   Sent seven photos in to Alamy for Quality Control. 

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

tool, repair, special, maintenance, bike, bicycle, cycle, tool, isolated, - Stock Image

It's that black thingy.

And here it's in use:

Bicycle assembly in workshop, man installs crank - Stock Image

2CW03EM or 2AYAGX5 or 2AYAGX2 or 2AYAGWD or 2AYAGWW or 2AYAGWG or 2AYAGX3 or PCK3MK or PCK3MR

But you're right with 8,273 sesults for bicycle tool, it's remarkable how few images there actually are of decent bike tools. And how few understand what's been going on in their own pictures. Could be a translation thing of course.

wim

edit: I now see that even in this good clear image of this mechanic taking a crank off, it says Bicycle assembly in workshop, man installs crank.

No he doesn't.

Well spotted Wim !

Today I managed to re-assemble the boss's bike, new cassette, new middle chainwheel, new chain and new bottom bracket. We went for a ride to test the work and nothing fell off.  However she discovered a strange metal object in her bike bag, the missing crank extractor.  I now have two.  Cranks beware.....

Edited by Bryan

56 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Eta hasn't rained enough on Jinotega (yet?) to have gotten water running from my courtyard into my house and the streets aren't running curb to curb.  I have been playing with the new Adobe Photographer Suite Lightroom Classic, Photoshop, and with DXO PhotoLab 4, and drinking coffee from locally grown beans.   Sent seven photos in to Alamy for Quality Control. 

Don't forget to photograph those bags of locally grown coffee. There is a steady demand for coffee-related images. Good luck with the rain. I've been in Nicaragua at this time of year, so I know how wet it can be.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Good luck with the rain. I've been in Nicaragua at this time of year, so I know how wet it can be.

This hasn't been as bad as a couple of weeks ago for flooding in Jinotega when the house got overflow from the courtyard and the streets were running like creeks, but it has been a lot of rain for November.  

Thanks for the tip on photographing coffee packages -- I generally dump the beans in a ceramic container and chuck the bag.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Well spotted Wim !

Today I managed to re-assemble the boss's bike, new cassette, new middle chainwheel, new chain and new bottom bracket. We went for a ride to test the work and nothing fell off.  However she discovered a strange metal object in her bike bag, the missing crank extractor.  I now have two.  Cranks beware.....

Haha! Yes they can easily be mistaken for just some funny nut and bolt. Now did you make pictures?

wim

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Haha! Yes they can easily be mistaken for just some funny nut and bolt. Now did you make pictures?

wim

Too stressed to take photos while fixing bike Wim, but I'm now in the unique position of being  able take a photo of two different crank extractors - Of course I'll have to carry out a risk assessment and take suitable safety precautions, they can be vicious and they will view me as a potential target.....

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Too stressed to take photos while fixing bike Wim, but I'm now in the unique position of being  able take a photo of two different crank extractors - Of course I'll have to carry out a risk assessment and take suitable safety precautions, they can be vicious and they will view me as a potential target.....

Extraction cranks are likely ambush predators...as evidenced by their use of concealment. 😉

Went for my usual morning constitutional this morning which usually takes 45 minutes to an hour. It was eerily quiet as though we were in another lockdown. OH! We ARE!

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

It is an absolutely gorgeous autumn day. No wind, sparkling sunshine and temperatures around 70F. I look across the street and see two oaks with brilliant autumn colors.

Same here in the DC area, a perfect day...had lunch outside, with my photo assistant, between a couple shoots.

• Love 1

Dropped by my local Tesco store to pick up a repeat prescription and a little shopping just over an hour ago. Also picked up a few bottles of Corona, the lager not the virus. The carpark was pretty empty, same inside the store, no need to dodge the idiots. It was wonderful. The likely reason was it was November 5th, firework night. Everyone must have been in their back gardens letting off fireworks. Not me, and our cat was kept in.

• Love 1

I spent an hour or two in my basement storage area (a large room) throwing away junk and rearranging things, sweeping and vacuuming a round rug down there.  I will be buying plastic bins so I can transfer keeper items from cardboard to see-thru bins. Still a lot of work to be done, but I made a feel-good start.

I’ll swear, I gave so many hangers to charity with a lot of clothes and household goods. But I discovered another boxful of hangers today. It went in the rubbish bin.

• Like 1

Well this is sort of good thing/bad thing.  Got an email today from a financial client wanting to buy an image from a shoot last year (I love easy money).  I said I would shoot over an invoice and when I went to my computer that I use for non-photo editing (mostly accounting and what not) I see my monitor is flickering and flashing all kinds of colors and patterns. I tried to trouble shoot it first but no luck. As monitors go, it was an old one.  So I ran out and got a new monitor and that pretty much offset what I made on the photo sale.  But I do love this new monitor!  At least it wasn't the computer itself going down!

22 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Well this is sort of good thing/bad thing.  Got an email today from a financial client wanting to buy an image from a shoot last year (I love easy money).  I said I would shoot over an invoice and when I went to my computer that I use for non-photo editing (mostly accounting and what not) I see my monitor is flickering and flashing all kinds of colors and patterns. I tried to trouble shoot it first but no luck. As monitors go, it was an old one.  So I ran out and got a new monitor and that pretty much offset what I made on the photo sale.  But I do love this new monitor!  At least it wasn't the computer itself going down!

That's the problem with easy money -- easy come, easy go. 🙄

Just curious, what kind of monitor did you choose? Mine is probably approaching its expiry date.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's the problem with easy money -- easy come, easy go. 🙄

Just curious, what kind of monitor did you choose? Mine is probably approaching its expiry date.

I got a 27inch LG monitor from Costco.  Because I don’t do photo work on that computer, I wasn’t too worried about color but I have to say it does have a great screen.  It was on sale for about $160.  I remember when you had to spend at least $300 for a decent monitor.

15 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I got a 27inch LG monitor from Costco.  Because I don’t do photo work on that computer, I wasn’t too worried about color but I have to say it does have a great screen.  It was on sale for about $160.  I remember when you had to spend at least $300 for a decent monitor.

Thanks very much. That's actually within my budget. Do you mind sharing the model name/number?

12 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, I think it is this one but the base looks different and this price is a little cheaper, than what I paid.  I need to double check what I got.

https://www.costco.com/lg-27"-class-fhd-ips-freesync-monitor.product.100662272.html

Thanks again, Michael. I'll check it out when I get back to Earth. As you can see from my latest avatar, I'm currently hanging out on the moon. I figured it would be a good place to chill (literally) for awhile. Lots of good photo ops up here, and it's real peaceful. 🪐

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

John, these new monitors like to be connected to your computer with an HDMI cable, tho a VGA may still work. So make sure the graphics card on your computer have the right ports to support a newer monitor.  I was lucky that mine did have an HDMI port, I am not sure if that is commonplace.  Good time to be on the Moon 🌚, how’s the WiFi?

Edited by Michael Ventura

I have to admit that I do not often look at my Measures. I usually just check the number of zooms I had at end of the month for statistics purpose.

However, today I did. I was thrilled to see that since 1st Nov., 7 out of my 15 zooms are unique, i.e. the only zoom.

One of the unique zooms is the only picture on Alamy.

In another instance, there were 53 total views and again I'm the only zoom.

Another unique zoom is from a well known touristic venue with million of visitors every year, an easy shot which is a multiple seller already. 100 views, only zoom.

As I'm lucky to be able to travel to very remote places with my off-road motorhome, I can provide Alamy images that are either unique or in very limited supply.  The reason why I have an advantage is that producing these images purely for stock would not be financially viable. I take them because I'm going there anyway. Plus not everyone likes the Outback, the heat, the flies, the remoteness, hence I was wondering if there was less demand for it.

I always have a dilemma when uploading, is there any demand for it? Looking at my Measures today, I feel encouraged. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, these new monitors like to be connected to your computer with an HDMI cable, tho a VGA may still work. So make sure the graphics card on your computer have the right ports to support a newer monitor.  I was lucky that mine did have an HDMI port, I am not sure if that is commonplace.  Good time to be on the Moon 🌚, how’s the WiFi?

Thanks for the tips.

Excellent WiFi here. And the Moonlings are very friendly. Congratulations. 🌝

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the tips.

Excellent WiFi here. And the Moonlings are very friendly. Congratulations. 🌝

Don't you go and bring back Moonvid 50 will you?

Allan

35 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't you go and bring back Moonvid 50 will you?

Allan

Don't fret, Allan. The Moonlings are all  wearing masks and social-distancing. They make sure that I do the same. You'd like it up here. It's very civilized. 😷