Post a good thing that happened in your life today

10 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Me too.

Allan

This will probably be my first month without a payout in a long time. But that’s ok. I’ve sold a couple this month.

• Sad 1

Nasty cool rainy fall day so I 'd been in funk all day as I hoped to get out and shoot some fall color since it's finally been cold enough at night for the trees to really change. My husband came downstairs to see if I wanted to go for a drive, but since the rain had finally stopped, I suggested a walk. It was already getting dark and too gray for photos but we wandered around our neighborhood hand in hand. Feeling so lucky to be in such a long-term committed relationship, even if our 30th wedding anniversary is this election day.

• Upvote 1

We’ve escaped for a couple of nights away from home for the first time this year and walking near Reed beds in North Norfolk I’ve just heard a Bittern booming in the distance :)

• Like 1

I made chilero -- a Nicaraguan salsa made of finely chopped jalepeño peppers, onions, and carrots in vinegar.   Now have two jars of it, and it goes on baked potatos, eggs, and in stews.  Hadn't made it in a while.   Finished off the onions and carrots that had  been sitting in the refrigerator a while.  I have a food chopper that works well for making chilero.   Older photos of this in my portfolio.

12 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I made chilero -- a Nicaraguan salsa made of finely chopped jalepeño peppers, onions, and carrots in vinegar.   Now have two jars of it, and it goes on baked potatos, eggs, and in stews.  Hadn't made it in a while.   Finished off the onions and carrots that had  been sitting in the refrigerator a while.  I have a food chopper that works well for making chilero.   Older photos of this in my portfolio.

That sounds good. A couple of years ago, I found out pickled banana peppers are a delicious side with chili or tomato-based goulash. I pour a little of the pickling juice in the chili while eating it. Brightens it up and gives it a little kick.

My goulash is a couple of pounds chopped hamburger browned with chunky-sliced onions. Add a large can of tomatoes, canned chili beans, (Ranch) garlic, seasonings, and chili powder. Then I add some (About 2 cups) pre-cooked elbow macaroni. Not only is it delicious, but a large batch will feed me for several days and the flavor gets better each day. Anytime I can cook something homemade and not have to cook again for awhile is something I love.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 2

This is the third day of a cold winter storm that has set records for low temps and early winter precipitation. Two days ago, 2” of snow over thin ice. Followed later by sleet/freezing rain yesterday. Below freezing both days. Today is above freezing, so a cold winter rain.

The good thing is that I’m here in Kansas, instead of Oklahoma. Half of Oklahoma City is without power, and huge old trees are falling like toothpicks from the ice load. Just 60 miles south of me where my sister lives in northern Oklahoma, she’s been without power for two days, huge tree damage.

I’m happy to be warm, well-lit, and snug in my home. But feel so bad for my home state at the same time I’m grateful I no longer live there. Severe ice storms has become pretty much an every winter thing somewhere in the state, but usually widespread. Damage looks a bit like a bomb has gone off. The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City bombing memorial lost a huge major limb. It survived the Timothy McVay bombing, only to lose a third of it‘s form to ice.

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This is the third day of a cold winter storm that has set records for low temps and early winter precipitation. Two days ago, 2” of snow over thin ice. Followed later by sleet/freezing rain yesterday. Below freezing both days. Today is above freezing, so a cold winter rain.

The good thing is that I’m here in Kansas, instead of Oklahoma. Half of Oklahoma City is without power, and huge old trees are falling like toothpicks from the ice load. Just 60 miles south of me where my sister lives in northern Oklahoma, she’s been without power for two days, huge tree damage.

I’m happy to be warm, well-lit, and snug in my home. But feel so bad for my home state at the same time I’m grateful I no longer live there. Severe ice storms has become pretty much an every winter thing somewhere in the state, but usually widespread. Damage looks a bit like a bomb has gone off. The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City bombing memorial lost a huge major limb. It survived the Timothy McVay bombing, only to lose a third of it‘s form to ice.

I was feeling a tad depressed about our weather, it's been a dismal very wet month with few sunny days, but you put things into perspective Betty. 😐

On the good things front -  we have our car back from the repair shop,  earlier than anticipated.  Looks like an excellent job and, as a bonus, they have had to fit new front tyres - all paid for by the other party's insurance. 🙂

Too late for the caravan season, but there's always next year.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I was feeling a tad depressed about our weather, it's been a dismal very wet month with few sunny days, but you put things into perspective Betty. 😐

On the good things front -  we have our car back from the repair shop,  earlier than anticipated.  Looks like an excellent job and, as a bonus, they have had to fit new front tyres - all paid for by the other party's insurance. 🙂

Too late for the caravan season, but there's always next year.

There’s always someone worse off, Bryan. The damage I’m relating is nothing compared to the damage Category 4 or 5 hurricanes cause.
While I live in tornado alley, those hit a narrow track. I don’t discount them, because the loss of life happens along with homes being swept off their foundations.
In the US, it’s pick your poison. At least I don’t live in California, where the doom & gloomers expect half the state to fall off in a future catastrophic earthquake. At least I can see a tornado coming, or radar picks them up and warns us.

Glad your vehicle is in good shape again.

• Like 1

Drove my "old Mercedes" (2001 e320 4matic wagon) at 110 mph (177kph) in a light rain after spending months 

getting it put back together. The new Michelin tires are great.

Sorry little boy thrill, like listening to Deep Purple or Jeff Beck...

Chuck

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Drove my "old Mercedes" (2001 e320 4matic wagon) at 110 mph (177kph) in a light rain after spending months 

Chuck

Know that kind of thrill. I was test-driving a new car once. I wanted to hear how good the stereo system was. I put in a CD with Eric Clapton’s “River of Tears” and was transported. I bought the car. It’s turn radius stunk but it had a great sound system.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

Congratulations! Wow 4matic!

For me it will be Janis Joplin when I'm reading this: Oh Lord won't you give me....

😂

wim

(who's quite happy with a simple 2017 Kia Niro which does 50 mpg US or 58.85 mpg UK or 1:21 or 4.8/100 in EU speak)

I bought a robovac with this month's stock payouts! (Just a cheapie) It's fantastic and like a naughty little kid all at once. I called it Dusty :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

There's little opportunity for speed on our overcrowded roads, plus I'm getting to be too long in the tooth for that kind of thing, but as for music while trundling at a sedate pace,  Speedway at Nazareth by Mark Knopfler would be my choice. I generally turn up the volume when that track appears. I love the understated delivery of the climax of the song, "but at the speedway at Nazareth I made no mistake", then there is a fabulous instrumental section. Makes a change from Vaughan Williams on Classic FM.......

5 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Congratulations! Wow 4matic!

For me it will be Janis Joplin when I'm reading this: Oh Lord won't you give me....

😂

wim

(who's quite happy with a simple 2017 Kia Niro which does 50 mpg US or 58.85 mpg UK or 1:21 or 4.8/100 in EU speak)

Wim,

Have a stack of CDs, but just signed up for Apple Music and it is fun to be able to call up almost anything that I have not heard since

high school.... Was just listening to Rory Gallagher.  Even played George Clinton for my 13 year-old today.  I have always enjoyed Janis.

This old Benz has become a labor or love for me, currently over 150,000 miles,  There is still almost no traffic on the highways around

Boston, MA and the cops pay no attention to an old guy driving a station wagon.

Chuck

• Haha 1

Had a lay in this morning and an easy going day today. Yesterday left early and got home around 11pm. Was a busy day, driving to Canterbury then Hastings, but only a 280 mile round trip. Weather better than expected, only had 3 hours of rain to avoid early afternoon, and of that 1.5 hours I was driving. Likely the last trip like that until our forthcoming lockdown ends.

• Like 1

I saw a fat robin in the Jefferson Market Garden this morning. I asked it if it was, by any chance, born in my garden but it wasn't saying.

Paulette

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 31/10/2020 at 05:05, Chuck Nacke said:

Have a stack of CDs, but just signed up for Apple Music and it is fun to be able to call up almost anything that I have not heard since

high school.

I still love my old CDs. The woodburner's blazing, there's beer in the fridge, and I've chosen John Prine Prine to keep me company this evening. The perfect companion (if Jorma Kaukonen is busy)... 

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

I saw a fat robin in the Jefferson Market Garden this morning. I asked it if it was, by any chance, born in my garden but it wasn't saying.

Paulette

Smart Robin. Keeping its business private. Maybe it thought you were going to ask for rent.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I still love my old CDs. The woodburner's blazing, there's beer in the fridge, and I've chosen John Prine Prine to keep me company this evening. The perfect companion (if Jorma Kaukonen is busy)... 

Listened to the Band, Last Waltz, this afternoon. Never been a fan of John Prine, but I did not appreciate Bob Dylan until I turned 60.....