Post a good thing that happened in your life today

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's the problem with easy money -- easy come, easy go. 🙄

Just curious, what kind of monitor did you choose? Mine is probably approaching its expiry date.

I got a 27inch LG monitor from Costco.  Because I don’t do photo work on that computer, I wasn’t too worried about color but I have to say it does have a great screen.  It was on sale for about $160.  I remember when you had to spend at least $300 for a decent monitor.

15 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I got a 27inch LG monitor from Costco.  Because I don’t do photo work on that computer, I wasn’t too worried about color but I have to say it does have a great screen.  It was on sale for about $160.  I remember when you had to spend at least $300 for a decent monitor.

Thanks very much. That's actually within my budget. Do you mind sharing the model name/number?

12 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, I think it is this one but the base looks different and this price is a little cheaper, than what I paid.  I need to double check what I got.

https://www.costco.com/lg-27"-class-fhd-ips-freesync-monitor.product.100662272.html

Thanks again, Michael. I'll check it out when I get back to Earth. As you can see from my latest avatar, I'm currently hanging out on the moon. I figured it would be a good place to chill (literally) for awhile. Lots of good photo ops up here, and it's real peaceful. 🪐

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

John, these new monitors like to be connected to your computer with an HDMI cable, tho a VGA may still work. So make sure the graphics card on your computer have the right ports to support a newer monitor.  I was lucky that mine did have an HDMI port, I am not sure if that is commonplace.  Good time to be on the Moon 🌚, how’s the WiFi?

Edited by Michael Ventura

I have to admit that I do not often look at my Measures. I usually just check the number of zooms I had at end of the month for statistics purpose.

However, today I did. I was thrilled to see that since 1st Nov., 7 out of my 15 zooms are unique, i.e. the only zoom.

One of the unique zooms is the only picture on Alamy.

In another instance, there were 53 total views and again I'm the only zoom.

Another unique zoom is from a well known touristic venue with million of visitors every year, an easy shot which is a multiple seller already. 100 views, only zoom.

As I'm lucky to be able to travel to very remote places with my off-road motorhome, I can provide Alamy images that are either unique or in very limited supply.  The reason why I have an advantage is that producing these images purely for stock would not be financially viable. I take them because I'm going there anyway. Plus not everyone likes the Outback, the heat, the flies, the remoteness, hence I was wondering if there was less demand for it.

I always have a dilemma when uploading, is there any demand for it? Looking at my Measures today, I feel encouraged. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, these new monitors like to be connected to your computer with an HDMI cable, tho a VGA may still work. So make sure the graphics card on your computer have the right ports to support a newer monitor.  I was lucky that mine did have an HDMI port, I am not sure if that is commonplace.  Good time to be on the Moon 🌚, how’s the WiFi?

Thanks for the tips.

Excellent WiFi here. And the Moonlings are very friendly. Congratulations. 🌝

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks for the tips.

Excellent WiFi here. And the Moonlings are very friendly. Congratulations. 🌝

Don't you go and bring back Moonvid 50 will you?

Allan

35 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't you go and bring back Moonvid 50 will you?

Allan

Don't fret, Allan. The Moonlings are all  wearing masks and social-distancing. They make sure that I do the same. You'd like it up here. It's very civilized. 😷

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Well actually it was yesterday, but I covered what I hope is the last "Pro-Trump" demonstration.

Looking forward to four years of not looking at what the last "embarrassing" thing that the U.S. president

Tweeted......

Chuck

It is not the embarrassment that has ever bothered me as I am not American but what I find absolutely astonishing is how so many people accept completely blatant lies as truth or simply don’t care and that so many people actually still voted for him. I think there will be many more demonstrations over the coming months as his embarrassingly outrageous claims of voter fraud and refusal to concede gracefully result in many more scenes of mayhem on the streets of American cities.

But it is so heartening that there is change afoot and hopefully Joe Biden will grace the unofficial title of Leader of the Free World for those of us who have no say in electing that person. I don’t think there has ever been an American presidential election that has been of such importance before on a national and global scale. 

• Like 3
On 07/11/2020 at 00:31, Michael Ventura said:

The spec says it has D-Sub output as well- I had to look it up but apparently that's another name for VGA. So John is probably OK.

10 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Well actually it was yesterday, but I covered what I hope is the last "Pro-Trump" demonstration.

Looking forward to four years of not looking at what the last "embarrassing" thing that the U.S. president

Tweeted......

Chuck

We're all very relieved (and exhausted). A good thing has happened in all of our lives. Congrats. 🌝

• Like 1

Yesterday I was at the allotment as per usual, but on returning home and it becoming dark realised that my specs were not in my pocket.

I'm not sure whether or not opticians are working at present so could be a big problem, I need glasses to drive the car etc. I reasoned that I had tried to slip them into my shirt pocket for safety, but missed and they had slithered down within my outer clothing and onto the ground. Could have happened anywhere between the garden and the house.

Today I cycled slowly back scanning the ground all of the way, but no joy.  Got into the garden and still nothing, but on further investigation they were to be seen lurking at the side of the path and they were undamaged.  Phew.

In future for garden purposes I'll only use an old scratched pair from a previous prescription, secured around my neck with a cord.

• Like 2

I think a thread that has run for many months has become forum property to a certain extent.

This one is entitled "Post a good thing that happened in your life today". If one of those things, for some contributors, happens to be a certain event in world affairs I think we have to allow it- world affairs hardly being irrelevant to the work of a good number of contributors.

After all those who disagree can post as such in the "bad thing" thread. I don't yet see one about this particular event.

Yesterday's sourdough turned out quite well- we found out the mixing bowl was actually pyrex-type glass so I just left it in that. It couldn't flatten out in the second rising as it did on a tray so it stayed a bit more loafy in shape. Mmm.

One of these days I should take a photograph.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This is the thread I started. NO politics, please. This is a feel-good thread. Politics only stirs up anger.

No politics from me. I'm just happy that Donald J Trump has more time to work on his golf swing...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I think a thread that has run for many months has become forum property to a certain extent.

This one is entitled "Post a good thing that happened in your life today". If one of those things, for some contributors, happens to be a certain event in world affairs I think we have to allow it- world affairs hardly being irrelevant to the work of a good number of contributors.

After all those who disagree can post as such in the "bad thing" thread. I don't yet see one about this particular event.

Yesterday's sourdough turned out quite well- we found out the mixing bowl was actually pyrex-type glass so I just left it in that. It couldn't flatten out in the second rising as it did on a tray so it stayed a bit more loafy in shape. Mmm.

One of these days I should take a photograph.

Mark, political comments in the forum have never ended well. There is a history, of which you cannot deny. And Alamy doesn’t approve. That’s why they have shut down threads before.

I started this thread as a place for happiness, and to get away from attacks of the like you participated in.

So if you want to start again, that means, to me, you still don’t value me as a forum member. And that’s ok. I can go elsewhere, do other things with my life where I am valued.

Your call.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I support Betty with her call for no politics on this Alamy forum.  It simply never ends well and we risk losing each other as colleagues.  There are plenty of other places in social media where you can air your political points, grievances, elations etc...   Even if politics affects us all and our careers, it is not worth getting into a war of words, on this forum, that will ultimately solve nothing and possibly hurt many.  Just not worth it.  We have so much more we can share in our common bonds!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5
3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Welcome news on a vaccine today. 🙂

people actually had to catch the virus so they could test it I think but they don't know if the vaccine will be as effective for older people. Too risky to test I would think

Edited by dunstun365