Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

I finally got established with a dentist where I live, now. While caregiving, my health was put on the back burner. I was exhausted, and the only doctors I saw was when I took my husband for his care. Not for me.  I couldn’t get away for appointments to see my cardiologist. I needed a neurologist, but couldn’t go and couldn’t take my husband with me because of his inappropriate behavior.

I’ve finally gotten established with the most important doctors here, but finding a dental practice that would accept my insurance provider was hard. Nobody here was affiliated with my insurance.

A dental office I called, last ditch effort when I was ready to give up, told me they would cover me as if they recognized my insurance. All the discounts. Teeth cleaning and x-rays free, like I got in Oklahoma. I had my first appointment today. I’ll go back in February for more work. Really good people.

There’s more to moving than buying another house in another state. All the connections I once had were lost. Not only medical, but tradesmen. Electricians, plumbers, etc. I’m finally settling in.

• Love 2

At the Cinema Museum, coincidentally very near my alma mater LCP, fitting a new timing belt to a Steenbeck film editing machine. Back today to correct my mistake check it over.

All volunteers there so payment in kind of some rare spares for my own machine.

Nice to get out as non-essential travel is illegal at the moment. But this is work, right, officer? Paid or not.

http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/

The museum can't open under plague restrictions as the allowed capacity wouldn't even cover the licence fee for a screening.

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Why? Do they carry Covid? Oh, of course, students, but.....?

Bats and pangolins have a unique relationship with viruses they, can accumulate them without apparent harm. Seeing bats and pangolins in the wild is safe, but buying them from a wet market and eating them is another thing.

I found this interesting.

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/how-who-is-working-to-track-down-the-animal-reservoir-of-the-sars-cov-2-virus

Edited by Mr Standfast
ytpo

36 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

At the Cinema Museum, coincidentally very near my alma mater LCP, fitting a new timing belt to a Steenbeck film editing machine. Back today to correct my mistake check it over.

All volunteers there so payment in kind of some rare spares for my own machine.

Nice to get out as non-essential travel is illegal at the moment. But this is work, right, officer? Paid or not.

http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/

The museum can't open under plague restrictions as the allowed capacity wouldn't even cover the licence fee for a screening.

Can't do this work from home!

57 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Can't do this work from home!

Not quite, Steenbecks weigh 3cwt. Might get them on the tube train but the steps aren't too clever.

The Cinema Museum however is a Victorian workhouse (Charlie Chaplin's, as it happens) and I don't think that would fit in the lift at the Elephant & Castle.

Edited by spacecadet

We have had sun for two days now.  My helper brought in another rosemary plant, and some more suitable potting soil, though we used soil from the older big plastic pot and some pumice grit for potting yesterday.   Everything is drying out from six days straight of rain, none of which flooded into my house fortunately.   Planted some ginger in one largest pot and will get a ripe jalepeño for seeds to try them in last earthenware pot that doesn't have anything in it yet.  The dog is still eating coleus leaves from a plant she can get to and throwing them up.   I'm going to plant some corn and chia seeds in some low lying pots to see if I can get the cats to stop chewing one of the orchids, and if all the critters would prefer those to the ornamentals.  

The cats broke a pot two days ago and turned the little hen-and-chicks succulent  into a play toy.   What was left of the plant went home with my helper.

Saw the first oncidium spike which will produce the early summer flowers today.   My December-blooming Laelias are coming along fine.  These have been my best orchids.

And all my recent Alamy submissions have passed Quality Control. 

• Love 3

What was left of the eye of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Eta blew through my town early this morning with minimal damage to my part of Florida. I also never lost power, except for a brief flicker, so that was good. Though it’s still very wet outside, and the ground is overly saturated, we are beginning to see brief glimpses of blue skies here and there. 

• Love 1

Spread several barrowloads of well rotted manure over what will be next year's potato patch.

At this time of year I try to empty half of our large compost bin and then throw the remaining half over to provide some aeration and assist decomposition. Then it's bringing in maybe 20 barrowloads of new muck to refill the bin. (The local riding stables keep us well supplied). Once upon a time I would go at this like a dog at broth, but these days I've learnt to take my time and make the job stretch out, with time to chat (socially distanced of course) to my fellow gardeners.

We have people from many different backgrounds at the allotment, mostly, but not all, retired, and they all have a story or two to tell. In recent years we have seen a welcome increase in the number of women who actively garden, and two ladies are now on the committee, one the treasurer.   At one time the communal hut was typically occupied by a small bunch of old men, and the air would be thick with smoke.  When we return to normality,  I'll put forward the suggestion that it becomes a no smoking zone.  Indeed I don't think that any of our current tenants smoke. 

12 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Bats and pangolins have a unique relationship with viruses they, can accumulate them without apparent harm. Seeing bats and pangolins in the wild is safe, but buying them from a wet market and eating them is another thing.

I found this interesting.

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/how-who-is-working-to-track-down-the-animal-reservoir-of-the-sars-cov-2-virus

Oh, that’s right. May be what started this whole thing. 😩

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Spread several barrowloads of well rotted manure over what will be next year's potato patch.

At this time of year I try to empty half of our large compost bin and then throw the remaining half over to provide some aeration and assist decomposition. Then it's bringing in maybe 20 barrowloads of new muck to refill the bin. (The local riding stables keep us well supplied). Once upon a time I would go at this like a dog at broth, but these days I've learnt to take my time and make the job stretch out, with time to chat (socially distanced of course) to my fellow gardeners.

We have people from many different backgrounds at the allotment, mostly, but not all, retired, and they all have a story or two to tell. In recent years we have seen a welcome increase in the number of women who actively garden, and two ladies are now on the committee, one the treasurer.   At one time the communal hut was typically occupied by a small bunch of old men, and the air would be thick with smoke.  When we return to normality,  I'll put forward the suggestion that it becomes a no smoking zone.  Indeed I don't think that any of our current tenants smoke. 

When we owned horses years ago, I should have brought home the straw/manure mix for my elaborate flower beds. But the 10 acres we owned the horses were on was 8 miles away from our home in town. No trailer, so I wasn’t about to ruin the smell of our vehicles! Even in plastic bags, I think the smell would have escaped.

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

When we owned horses years ago, I should have brought home the straw/manure mix for my elaborate flower beds. But the 10 acres we owned the horses were on was 8 miles away from our home in town. No trailer, so I wasn’t about to ruin the smell of our vehicles! Even in plastic bags, I think the smell would have escaped.

An employee of the stables brings our supplies a couple of miles using a tractor and trailer. Once upon a time some stables would burn this stuff, but that's now illegal - and rightly so, having walked downwind of such a fire the stench was appalling !

34 minutes ago, Bryan said:

An employee of the stables brings our supplies a couple of miles using a tractor and trailer. Once upon a time some stables would burn this stuff, but that's now illegal - and rightly so, having walked downwind of such a fire the stench was appalling !

The Winter storms over here have 1 benefit at least. Seaweed, tons of the stuff washed up my local beach, mainly Kelp covering the beach 3ft high and 10 feet deep. There is a steady stream of gardeners with trailers carting it of. I have 3 compost bins full (and there not small bins, pallet size).

• Love 1

I just checked my Measures. So far this month, I am the only zoom for 14 zoom instances out of 34. Also quite a few 1 out of 2 only. Now bring on the sales please! Here's hoping. 

Edited by gvallee

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

I remember how much heat these piles generated. We used a pitchfork to turn it over to keep it from catching fire on its own.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I remember how much heat these piles generated. We used a pitchfork to turn it over to keep it from catching fire on its own.

Summer temperatures more moderate over here Betty, (not to mention our summer rainfall) our muck heap steams gently as it breaks down, on cold days you can see the mist rising. 

I have always acted on the advice that you need to leave it for at least a year before applying to plants, but some of our newer gardeners pile the stuff on in its nearly raw state. I have experimented with partially rotted muck and potatoes and they seemed to do OK. Older hands say that the longer you leave it the less problem you have with weeds.

51 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Dominic Cummings left Downing street for good. Should have been sacked months ago after his Covid excursion..

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares. They are not mutually exclusive. Actually is he jumping ship before the real chaos starts in the new year? They say he is the architect of the whole unmentionable thing that is about to happen. And they thought Covid-19 was bad. 

OK a day late but congratulations to Scotland on finally qualifying for the Euros. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, MDM said:

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares. They are not mutually exclusive. Actually is he jumping ship before the real chaos starts in the new year? They say he is the architect of the whole unmentionable thing that is about to happen. And they thought Covid-19 was bad. 

OK a day late but congratulations to Scotland on finally qualifying for the Euros. 

Well it made me happy today. 😊 Trump and Cummings in a week?  Almost a Carling moment. 😂

• Love 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Summer temperatures more moderate over here Betty, (not to mention our summer rainfall) our muck heap steams gently as it breaks down, on cold days you can see the mist rising. 

I have always acted on the advice that you need to leave it for at least a year before applying to plants, but some of our newer gardeners pile the stuff on in its nearly raw state. I have experimented with partially rotted muck and potatoes and they seemed to do OK. Older hands say that the longer you leave it the less problem you have with weeds.

The hotter the pile gets, the better those weed seeds are killed! :)

Woke up, got up, got washed and dressed, had breakfast, washed the dishes and put hem away, made the bed, switch the computer on, came on the forums, hey I'm still alive.

Allan

• Love 2

16 hours ago, MDM said:

Politics in this happy feel good thread. Ah who cares.

Apparently only a certain kind of politics, in a certain quarter, is objectionable.;)

On the way to the Cinema Museum I found a fix for my major going-out-and travelling-as-you-do-in-the-real-world type bugbear.

If you put your specs on  top of the mask instead of just above they don't steam up. Still hot and steamy but away from the loathsome-claustrophobic borderline.

This is definitely a Good Thing.

DSC06012.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Apparently only a certain kind of politics, in a certain quarter, is objectionable.;)

On the way to the Cinema Museum I found a fix for my major going-out-and travelling-as-you-do-in-the-real-world type bugbear.

If you put your specs on  top of the mask instead of just above they don't steam up. Still hot and steamy but away from the loathsome-claustrophobic borderline.

Indeed and useful to know. The one good thing about wearing a mask is that it it pleasantly warm about the gills when the weather is cold. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Indeed and useful to know. The one good thing about wearing a mask is that it it pleasantly warm about the gills when the weather is cold. 

I haven't needed the warm gills down here yet. But I should point out that pushing the specs out like this is sub-optimal optically and you may end up having to lift your head a bit to see important stuff, such as steps. Also remember to push the glasses back up the nose before dropping the mask or they will go for a Burton- I can't use ear loops for that reason.

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Woke up, got up, got washed and dressed, had breakfast, washed the dishes and put hem away, made the bed, switch the computer on, came on the forums, hey I'm still alive.

Allan

Unless all of this is a nice/bad dream...

😂

Where's my spinning top?

Spinning Top GIF - Spinning Top Inception GIFs

(from Inception)

wim

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Definitely the way to go.  if you look closely at my avatar picture, I have the shades just on the top of the mask, enough to prevent steaming (unless I get into a heated political discussion 😎).

Edited by MDM

• Alamy locked this topic