Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Wish I had known we could have met up. Socially distancing of course. I might have been able to help you.

Allan

Allan,

The next time I'm over your way I'll get in touch, thanks.

John.

Not earth shattering but a good thing nevertheless I guess is going from two to three stars QC! Noticed this today having been two stars since joining in March this year. So, thank you Alamy and I hope this helps the visibility of my images and the speed of checking. Anything positive is good news at this time.

• Love 1

The sky over Jinotega stopped raining enough to flood my courtyard.   My helper got the mess from the weekend's overflow into the house cleaned up on Monday.   Some my plants seem to love the rain and an orchid that I wasn't sure would make it is growing some new roots.  One of my cats is doing pole dancing (walking) on the poles that support my shower curtains and clothes, but no photos suitable for Alamy yet, just some with the iPad for Facebook.   Culled photos from my portfolio yesterday, then today sent in 9 older ones and one new one to Alamy for approval or not.

I finished the log store to replace the, er, log pile. My woodwork is dreadful but my Dexion is excellent.

Also, a boot jack so we don't have to dance around to get them off. Just a drawer front with a "V" cut in it and a step underneath so you can stand on it with the other foot for leverage. We used to have a lovely iron one in the form of a friendly- looking beetle with curly antennae but the local scum stole it for scrap.

Like heck did I remember to take pictures.

Edited by spacecadet

On 07/10/2020 at 18:10, NYCat said:

The high potassium in bananas is supposed to be good to cure cramps. The magnesium in nuts is also supposed to be good.

Paulette

I took potassium for cramps, bit it didn’t help. Magnesium did the job. I’ve had leg cramps since I was a child.

16 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I took potassium for cramps, bit it didn’t help. Magnesium did the job. I’ve had leg cramps since I was a child.

I just like bananas and nuts.

Allan

I just got some good news about a cat-sitting client. I was asked to start taking care of her cat because she was in the hospital for "something serious" and would be having surgery. Today I got an email informing me that it was a benign brain tumor and she is doing well. Sounds like a really frightening experience -- for her and for her family. The kitty is a sweetheart and I get to continue to take care of her for now.

Paulette

• Love 4

Bitter sweet. Picked the last of the greenhouse tomatoes and enjoyed them with my lunch. I'll have to wait a long time before experiencing a tasty tomato again. The Mrs doesn't like uncooked tomatoes, so I get to have first choice. 

Got stuck in and emptied most of my greenhouse pots then cleaned them with abundant rainwater and disinfectant. Not an unpleasant task on a mild day. My wife's cousin was a professional gardener and he recalls having to break the ice in a bath of water in order to wash pots when he was an apprentice.

I use black plastic buckets with holes in the bottom to grow tomatoes, the handles are useful when carrying them full of compost, and they cost a fraction of the genuine horticultural article.

Started to collect fallen leaves to make leaf mould for the crop in 2 years time.

Completed and handed in my seed order for next year at the allotment - we get discount prices via the National Allotment Society. The gardening year is coming to an end but there is promise of things to come.

Good to have things to do 🙂

Last but not least, I've just had a glass of Merlot handed to me, dinner coming shortly. 🙂🙂

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I thought I'd finish 7c under but some overdues have just cleared so I'll be getting a bit of loot out of Alamy this month after all.

Me too.

Allan

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Sounds like a good symbiotic relationship!  I’d do handyman stuff for coconut cream pie!

Lol. I called Mike and asked, “Do you and Darla like coconut cream pie?”

He answered, “Does a bear (his polite words) use the bathroom in the woods?” :lol:

• Love 2

Nasty cool rainy fall day so I 'd been in funk all day as I hoped to get out and shoot some fall color since it's finally been cold enough at night for the trees to really change. My husband came downstairs to see if I wanted to go for a drive, but since the rain had finally stopped, I suggested a walk. It was already getting dark and too gray for photos but we wandered around our neighborhood hand in hand. Feeling so lucky to be in such a long-term committed relationship, even if our 30th wedding anniversary is this election day.

• Like 1

I made chilero -- a Nicaraguan salsa made of finely chopped jalepeño peppers, onions, and carrots in vinegar.   Now have two jars of it, and it goes on baked potatos, eggs, and in stews.  Hadn't made it in a while.   Finished off the onions and carrots that had  been sitting in the refrigerator a while.  I have a food chopper that works well for making chilero.   Older photos of this in my portfolio.

12 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I made chilero -- a Nicaraguan salsa made of finely chopped jalepeño peppers, onions, and carrots in vinegar.   Now have two jars of it, and it goes on baked potatos, eggs, and in stews.  Hadn't made it in a while.   Finished off the onions and carrots that had  been sitting in the refrigerator a while.  I have a food chopper that works well for making chilero.   Older photos of this in my portfolio.

That sounds good. A couple of years ago, I found out pickled banana peppers are a delicious side with chili or tomato-based goulash. I pour a little of the pickling juice in the chili while eating it. Brightens it up and gives it a little kick.

My goulash is a couple of pounds chopped hamburger browned with chunky-sliced onions. Add a large can of tomatoes, canned chili beans, (Ranch) garlic, seasonings, and chili powder. Then I add some (About 2 cups) pre-cooked elbow macaroni. Not only is it delicious, but a large batch will feed me for several days and the flavor gets better each day. Anytime I can cook something homemade and not have to cook again for awhile is something I love.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

This is the third day of a cold winter storm that has set records for low temps and early winter precipitation. Two days ago, 2” of snow over thin ice. Followed later by sleet/freezing rain yesterday. Below freezing both days. Today is above freezing, so a cold winter rain.

The good thing is that I’m here in Kansas, instead of Oklahoma. Half of Oklahoma City is without power, and huge old trees are falling like toothpicks from the ice load. Just 60 miles south of me where my sister lives in northern Oklahoma, she’s been without power for two days, huge tree damage.

I’m happy to be warm, well-lit, and snug in my home. But feel so bad for my home state at the same time I’m grateful I no longer live there. Severe ice storms has become pretty much an every winter thing somewhere in the state, but usually widespread. Damage looks a bit like a bomb has gone off. The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City bombing memorial lost a huge major limb. It survived the Timothy McVay bombing, only to lose a third of it‘s form to ice.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

This is the third day of a cold winter storm that has set records for low temps and early winter precipitation. Two days ago, 2” of snow over thin ice. Followed later by sleet/freezing rain yesterday. Below freezing both days. Today is above freezing, so a cold winter rain.

The good thing is that I’m here in Kansas, instead of Oklahoma. Half of Oklahoma City is without power, and huge old trees are falling like toothpicks from the ice load. Just 60 miles south of me where my sister lives in northern Oklahoma, she’s been without power for two days, huge tree damage.

I’m happy to be warm, well-lit, and snug in my home. But feel so bad for my home state at the same time I’m grateful I no longer live there. Severe ice storms has become pretty much an every winter thing somewhere in the state, but usually widespread. Damage looks a bit like a bomb has gone off. The Survivor Tree at the Oklahoma City bombing memorial lost a huge major limb. It survived the Timothy McVay bombing, only to lose a third of it‘s form to ice.

I was feeling a tad depressed about our weather, it's been a dismal very wet month with few sunny days, but you put things into perspective Betty. 😐

On the good things front -  we have our car back from the repair shop,  earlier than anticipated.  Looks like an excellent job and, as a bonus, they have had to fit new front tyres - all paid for by the other party's insurance. 🙂

Too late for the caravan season, but there's always next year.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I was feeling a tad depressed about our weather, it's been a dismal very wet month with few sunny days, but you put things into perspective Betty. 😐

On the good things front -  we have our car back from the repair shop,  earlier than anticipated.  Looks like an excellent job and, as a bonus, they have had to fit new front tyres - all paid for by the other party's insurance. 🙂

Too late for the caravan season, but there's always next year.

There’s always someone worse off, Bryan. The damage I’m relating is nothing compared to the damage Category 4 or 5 hurricanes cause.
While I live in tornado alley, those hit a narrow track. I don’t discount them, because the loss of life happens along with homes being swept off their foundations.
In the US, it’s pick your poison. At least I don’t live in California, where the doom & gloomers expect half the state to fall off in a future catastrophic earthquake. At least I can see a tornado coming, or radar picks them up and warns us.

Glad your vehicle is in good shape again.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic