Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

9 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Went out for a walk this morning. Thought I would take my Sony A6000 and attached 90mm Macro lens with me. Not actually aiming to take photos. (nothing in mind)

When I got back home 1 and 1/2 hours later I discovered I had taken 158 photos. The camera was set on high speed multi shot..

After deleting duplicates and some others that were not worthwhile processing I was left with twelve images. (Phew). Well I now have a backlog of 200 images to process.

Allan

:D good to know I’m not the only one who messes up now and then. Did you set it that way or is a camera gremlin to blame?

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

:D good to know I’m not the only one who messes up now and then. Did you set it that way or is a camera gremlin to blame?

I did set it up that way just before going out JIC. Could not be bothered to reset in the field.

Allan

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The path to success is lined with failures. 

Things are either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. (One of my ex bosses was fond of saying - it sounds like a quote from a certain French footballer)

Good thing today, the sun shone, it didn't rain and more sun predicted for tomorrow. Autumn may be approaching, but the tomatoes continue to ripen.

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Autumn may be approaching, but the tomatoes continue to ripen.

I like that quote. A sure sign of positivity.

Allan

I haven't reported in details on my last trip to Arhnem Land because, in the current pandemic situation, I am well aware that lots of people are not as lucky as I am, being either stranded or limited in their movements. I will just describe it as a very scenic remote and pristine wilderness.

I loved it so much that tomorrow, I'm setting up on another trip, this time to the Eastern part of the same region, East Arhnem Land, Nhulunbuy. It's 850km of bad gravel tracks (one way), 4 permits are needed to get there (access to the 'road' itself, access to campsite, access to day time visit sites, permit to have alcohool in the vehicle). There are some river crossings on the way but, being at the end of the dry season, I expect them to be dry. The monsoon season is approaching, meteorologists expect an early very wet monsoon, so I hope it won't be too early!

Got plenty of fuel, enough for 900km (tank + extra tank + fuel jerrycan ), plenty of water (20l. jerrycan + 80l. motorhome water tank + umpteenth bottles), charged Sat phone, EPIRB, food (even icecreams!!), and wine of course. The bore will be, as always, deflating and re-inflating the tyres.

Cahill's Crossing that I had to cross on the previous trip is in the news again today. Unbelievable, a selfie taker was splashing the water with his hand to attrack crocs!! Helloo??!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8687469/Moment-angler-drops-line-Australias-notorious-saltwater-crocodile-spot.html

Edited by gvallee

The path to success is lined with failures.

My path is long. But I do stop to smell the roses on the way.

Autumn may be approaching, but the tomatoes continue to ripen.

Below are my take on the above quotes. (Which incidentally I like very much.)

The path to success is lined with trodden feet.

My path is long. Where is that blasted shortcut.

Autumn may be approaching, but I can’t wait for winter.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

One of those endangered species, a (low) $$$ sale, came my way yesterday. 🙂

The sun is shining throught the clouds,  the Covid count isn't too bad in these parts, and I'm off to the allotment.

Not too many good things happening to people at the moment?

Yesterday I walked what used to be the Durham coast from Seaham to Sunderland, in glorious, if windy, sunshine. I'd previously walked the stretch from Hartlepool to Seaham in stages, but never attempted this section which is closer to home. It forms a part of the England Coast Path. For most of the route you are on the top of crumbling cliffs with great sea views, but closer to Sunderland the route has to head inland to avoid an industrial complex and the port. That part of Sunderland used to be the heart of the city and there are some interesting old buildings. Having checked the tide tables I was additionally able to explore the beach at Ryhope. Hardly saw a soul on the cliffs, which is a pity, because a couple walking would have made a more saleable shot.  Nevertheless an enjoyable outing, and pleasing that my aged knees were up to it!  At one time I played a lot of badminton and suffered from knee pain, but that seems to have sorted itself out.

You can do this walk by catching a train from Sunderland to Seaham, but my wife gave me a lift to Seaham en route to elsewhere.

2CFR9AD.jpg

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

Yesterday I drove to just outside Daventry to photograph a protest. All went well other than complications due to a section of the A45 closed and I had left home late. Arrived 20 minutes later than planned but just in time to catch red smoke being released at the start of the protest. Later visited nearby Braunston and the Grand Union Canal for a few hours. I love hearing the sound of the older 2 cylinder narrow boat diesel engines. Hadn't been through there for around 35 years, that was on a hired narrow boat from relatively nearby Weedon. Yesterday waited for what seemed like ages without success for a narrowboat to emerge from Braunston Tunnel. Later today visiting a rare plant sale, with the added advantage of getting relatively rare access to the house gardens. They only open to the public 3 times a year. Weather good yesterday, and should be today too.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

First night in the motorhome en route to North Yorkshire coast. Made the mistake of parking under a crab apple tree! Sounds like golf balls ricocheting off the roof every so often....all night.

Good thing though - we’re parked outside our son’s house in Sheffield and we are spending the day with all four grandchildren . First time we’ve been here since February. 

• Love 2

30 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Good thing though - we’re parked outside our son’s house in Sheffield and we are spending the day with all four grandchildren . First time we’ve been here since February. 

Good to hear, we're still unable to visit our latest grandchild born recently in Manchester. Had to make do with a zoom call and some photos.

• Love 1

A small 🐛  collected on my milkweed and nurtured for days inside my butterfly cage has turned into a Monarch chrysalis this morning. I watched it, filmed it and took stills as it happened. The filming wasn’t good with my iPhone, but better than nothing.
It was exciting. Now to wait another 10-14 days for the Monarch butterfly to emerge.

• Love 1

On the achievement of three score years and ten, visited both of our sons, enjoyed the company of their families, and extinguished candles on cake at each of their houses. Fitted new hi tech graphene tyres to my elder son's bike. 

Also finally got to meet and cuddle the latest grandbairn, while the eldest (12 year old) still gives me the occasional hug,  suspect it might not last.... 🙂

Car made it there and back despite a warning light reappearing on the dash. 🙃

Picked 11 ripe Kuri squashes in the allotment.

Quite a good day today for many reasons.  Found a newer car for my wife locally, now need to view and take a test drive. I'll then take on my wifes older car, it's 8 years newer than my old Mondeo. The Mondeo isn't economically viable to put through an MOT in November, it will be scrapped.

Visited a local pub the Grand Junction Arms. Sampled a nice pint, so different from when I last photographed it (Alamy image 2C326X5) back in mid June. Then the beer garden was overgrown and the pub was boarded up with metal sheets, having closed at the start of lockdown. Shame the girl bringing my beer had the sun behind her, the image showed really bad flare. I tried to remove it without success. Anyway, the beer was great and the Covid-19 precautions were good.

Gave myself a haircut which saved me $30 or so. I do a decent job if I do say so.  And for lunch, I fixed a good homemade hamburger with dill pickles, home grown sliced tomatoes and onions on butter toasted buns with mustard. Potato chips and iced tea. NOT what you call chips, the same as we call French fries.  The kind of crispy ones in a bag.

Oh, you call them crisps! 😊

Then my daughter and son-in-law came over for a good 2 1/2 hour visit.
And I have swarms of butterflies on my flowers and buddleja. To the point that when someone comes to my door, they stir up a cloud of them to walk through.

• Love 3

12 minutes ago, Sally R said:

Anyway, my good thing today was having a butterfly land on me and hangout on my foot for a while, perhaps thinking I was a tree.

A few years ago I was trekking on my own on the south coast going down a steep hill to a river. All the way down this butterfly kept landing just ahead of me. It's like it was guiding me all the way down. Butterflies have a special presence about them.

Cycling last week a Red Admiral butterfly landed on my left hand. It stayed there quite a while like it was enjoying the ride. No photos, I have to keep my hands firmly on the handlebars!!

I have to let go with something good today!

I set off for the Norfolk (UK) coast this morning just after sun-up with the objective of some beach photography and capturing some old collapsed breakwaters. When I arrived at the car park I looked over the cliff and there close to the shore was a small jack-up rig which was a delightful diversion. On a small scale but reminded me of my early work days flying out to offshore gas platforms. My guess is that this small rig is a service structure used with offshore wind farms.

Anyway, apart from this it was one of my most productive days lately. By mid morning is was just a bit too warm so I finished. It's now 27 deg C in the garden and my daughter has just arrived. Time for a cold drink and to reflect on a good day!

Jim :) 

• Love 2

I had a serviceman here today to work on my furnace. He’s recently lost two family members. He remarked about walking through my butterflies. He said one family member explained to a child in the family that the loved ones were now each a butterfly.

The sad thing is one of the losses was his son, who suffered from depression. He didn’t handle the pandemic well and committed suicide. He was an avid stills photographer and worked in films, who had studied the craft.
🙁

• Alamy locked this topic