Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Definitely the way to go.  if you look closely at my avatar picture, I have the shades just on the top of the mask, enough to prevent steaming (unless I get into a heated political discussion 😎).

😎Ah but I found that wasn't enough with my sort of frame. The nosepiece has to go over the top seam of the mask.

It was a serendipity on the Tube- I noticed that the lenses steamed from the top so just pushed them forward a bit. In the warmer weather the Fairy liquid or Calotherm cloth trick had been enough, but not in November.

It's possible that there's a mask you can buy that would suit, but what with the vanishing income buying stuff isn't really on ATM, and anyway ours were made by the Beautiful Daughter so that's not going to happen.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's possible that there's a mask you can buy that would suit, but what with the vanishing income buying stuff isn't really on ATM, and anyway ours were made by the Beautiful Daughter so that's not going to happen.

I’ve made loads of masks for friends and family, all with head elastic which I think is more comfortable than ear elastic. All made from stuff I got from my mum’s sewing collection when I cleared out her house so all made at no cost! 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Thyrsis said:

I’ve made loads of masks for friends and family, all with head elastic which I think is more comfortable than ear elastic. All made from stuff I got from my mum’s sewing collection when I cleared out her house so all made at no cost! 

I think we will all look like Dumbo with protruding ears by the end of this.

Paulette

I’m not sure head elastic works well for the follicularly challenged. When snorkeling, I had no trouble with the mask. But hubs, with not a lot of hair, the back strap of the mask kept sliding down then he got water seeping in.  I finally bought him a nice small-billed hat for the strap to grab onto. He wore it with the bill in the back, and it worked great.

13 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Apparently only a certain kind of politics, in a certain quarter, is objectionable.;)

Don’t poke the bear. Not one time during this election have I mentioned politics other than to ask they not be discussed. No matter which side of the aisle you are on.

I’m sick of your snide slurs, and you know who you are.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I've seen a horse fly.

Allan

Two men talking.

One muses "why can't horses fly?"

The other wipes a pigeon dropping from his shoulder. "Allah knows best", he replies.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

on your safaris, have you ever seen an elephant fly?

Well. Kind of like telling you there is no Santa Clause. I have seen a couple spread their ears---definitely a threat and kind of cute if it's a very young male that is just practicing. One quite serious big guy chased us out of his territory--- bellowing and everything. But, no, he did not leave the ground. When the vehicle is very near elephants you have to be ready to drop and hang on if the driver decides there is danger of a real attack and has to take off. The vehicles can't fly either though a tourist could fly out.

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

My gloves fell out of my pocket and a kind gentleman not only told me but picked them up for me. One of those small kindnesses that brighten one's day.

Paulette

I call them blessings. While my husband was dying in the hospital (6 days), I had quite a few perfect strangers doing things for me out of the blue. Small things. Seeing me unload a shopping cart into my car and offering to return the cart. Seeing me struggle trying to get a bundle of bottled water out of the cart & into the car and saying, “let me do that for you.” A busy nurse on her way to lunch seeing me stand outside staring at the parking lots with confusion and asked if she could help, then spent 5 minutes pointing out the lots I could park in and the ones for medical personnel only. So many more people.

The man in Walmart who saw me reach for the water and jumped over to put it in my cart for me.

Did my sorrow show that much?

• Love 2

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Well. Kind of like telling you there is no Santa Clause. I have seen a couple spread their ears---definitely a threat and kind of cute if it's a very young male that is just practicing. One quite serious big guy chased us out of his territory--- bellowing and everything. But, no, he did not leave the ground. When the vehicle is very near elephants you have to be ready to drop and hang on if the driver decides there is danger of a real attack and has to take off. The vehicles can't fly either though a tourist could fly out.

Paulette

I don't know, Paulette. Maybe where you were with those Big Dumbos there were no trees with fruit on them . . . so there was no reason for them to fly. Next thing you'll be telling me is that those cute fury polar bears kill and eat cute baby seals. 

I got my police report and photographs made for the residency renewal.  The police report is the quickest thing I've ever had Nicaraguans in an official capacity complete quickly for me.   The passport photos took a bit longer.  I've got one more thing to do in Jinotega that I can't do at home and that's a medical report. 

Despite the rain, my helper showed up to walk my dog and fetch breakfast from a friend's hotel.  Will see about getting the photos from the photographer tomorrow unless the rain is considerably lighter this afternoon (unlikely).  And if it's not better by Thursday, I'll see about getting a ride to the clinic from my ex landlord.   If I can't get the health certificate by Friday, I'll have to reschedule the trip to Managua.

With our stack of early autumn apples starting to go soft I decided to have my first ever go at making apple pie. 

Most recipes appeared complex with reference to lard or trex but the BBC website featured a simple solution using only plain flour, butter and a small quantity of water. My wife prepared the apples, actually russets, and added cinnamon, raisins and a little brown sugar. Mixing the dough was a messy business, and liberal quantities of flour were needed to prevent sticking, but I managed to produce a flat base and top. We used the lid of a pyrex casserole as a pie dish, and the Mrs demonstrated the cunning trick of transferring the dough from board to pie by wrapping it around a rolling pin.

Result, success, lovely pastry and a tasty, if possibly not the healthiest of pies. I do love apple pie !

On 13/11/2020 at 20:45, gvallee said:

I just checked my Measures. So far this month, I am the only zoom for 14 zoom instances out of 34. Also quite a few 1 out of 2 only. Now bring on the sales please! Here's hoping. 

I'm quoting myself. As a follow up, on one search, I had 3 zooms out of 4. Result: they all sold! 3 sales! Please keep the pattern for the other zooms...

• Love 1
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic