Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

My birthday today, so I had a lay in until 6:30am. Breakfast was yogurt and mushrooms on toast, then mid morning treat of a thin slice of low sugar home made cake. Two zooms on Wednesday, another two on Thursday but no sales yet, too early in the month. Last months zooms equalled my previous highest, may they continue. About to leave for a wander around Oxford, travelling light with just the RX100 and a brolly.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 2

Yesterday one of the plastic handles of the grill pan from our cooker became detached. The cooker is no longer made and I cannot source a new matching grill pan, although I did find a new handle available for about £30 inc postage.  Weighed up the options and discussed with Mrs. Buy grossly overpriced handle, buy new cooker, buy non matching pan - but opted to try and fix it. Dismantle, thorough cleaning job, followed by 2 part expoxy resin, hopefully it will be OK. Waiting for it so set.

Spurred on by this burst of activity I rescued our old wheelbarrow from the allotment The  tray was coming adrift from the frame - and repaired that too. Drilled out the end of cracks in the metal, and rivetted a strengthening plate across. Drilled and chiselled out old rivets holding tray to frame, and replaced them with bolts. Finally wire brushed and  touched up the rusting paintwork. 

Fixing stuff cheers me up 🙂

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Yesterday one of the plastic handles of the grill pan from our cooker became detached. The cooker is no longer made and I cannot source a new matching grill pan, although I did find a new handle available for about £30 inc postage.  Weighed up the options and discussed with Mrs. Buy grossly overpriced handle, buy new cooker, buy non matching pan - but opted to try and fix it. Dismantle, thorough cleaning job, followed by 2 part expoxy resin, hopefully it will be OK. Waiting for it so set.

Spurred on by this burst of activity I rescued our old wheelbarrow from the allotment The  tray was coming adrift from the frame - and repaired that too. Drilled out the end of cracks in the metal, and rivetted a strengthening plate across. Drilled and chiselled out old rivets holding tray to frame, and replaced them with bolts. Finally wire brushed and  touched up the rusting paintwork. 

Yes, there is something very satisfying about fixing things rather than replacing or hiring someone to do it!  Good on ya!

• Love 1

44 minutes ago, Bryan said:

2 part expoxy resin,

The heat resistance of ordinary Araldite is a bit limited so watch out for that. If it's the clip-on sort you just use for lifting, fine.

BTW you may already have found out that you can mould poxy nicely with sellotape as it doesn't stick to it.

Fortunately ours was under £10 so one less job for me.

Edited by spacecadet

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

I had a new brick pillar built for my mailbox last year. I put my house numbers on to each side with Gorilla Glue. Supposed to glue anything. Soon as the heat hit it this year, baking in the sun, the numbers tumbled to the ground.

My son screwed them in yesterday. Now, as long as the screws don’t rust.....

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s finally cooler today. If you consider 92, down from 102F (38.8C) a couple of days ago cooler. That’s 10 important degrees.

There are times when I am glad that I live somewhere with a mediocre climate, never exceedingly hot and only rarely very cold. It rained most of today. Dullness predicted for the next few days.

However, I was able to pick and eat our first ripe tomato of the year !

• Love 1

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

My birthday today, so I had a lay in until 6:30am. Breakfast was yogurt and mushrooms on toast, then mid morning treat of a thin slice of low sugar home made cake. Two zooms on Wednesday, another two on Thursday but no sales yet, too early in the month. Last months zooms equalled my previous highest, may they continue. About to leave for a wander around Oxford, travelling light with just the RX100 and a brolly.

Ian’s birthday today too! First time since Christmas we have had our kids and grandkids together since Christmas. Have eaten too much and drunk too much and it has been wonderful.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The heat resistance of ordinary Araldite is a bit limited so watch out for that. If it's the clip-on sort you just use for lifting, fine.

BTW you may already have found out that you can mould poxy nicely with sellotape as it doesn't stick to it.

Fortunately ours was under £10 so one less job for me.

I wasn't aware of those facts re Araldite Mark, but coincidentally I did use sellotape to mask off the repair! It seems to be holding OK, time will tell.

It might see me out or us through until we have to buy a hydrogen burning cooker in years to come. 

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I wasn't aware of those facts re Araldite Mark, but coincidentally I did use sellotape to mask off the repair! It seems to be holding OK, time will tell.

It might see me out or us through until we have to buy a hydrogen burning cooker in years to come. 

Certainly if the repair is going to be subjected to the heat of grilling you would have to watch out. Araldite actually used to suggest radiant heat as a way of undoing a repair!

Edited by spacecadet

Today myself and my wife visited Cotswold Lavender to meet up with my daughters family. We used to regularly visit them in Bristol, arranging weekend trips to coincide with events I wanted to photograph. Last time we saw them was at my wife's 60th birthday party in early January this year, a big event in the local Limelight Theatre. I hadn't visited the lavender farm at Snowshill for a few years, was surprised to see how busy it was. It had been well laid out to ensure good safety, and the weather was far better than predicted. Looked around a nearby Chipping Campden afterwards. In normal circumstances I would have been photographing Oxford's vibrant Cowley Road Carnival, that only existed as a virtual carnival event this year. Last year Bristol's St Pauls carnival was on the day before, sadly not this year.

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Today myself and my wife visited Cotswold Lavender to meet up with my daughters family.........I hadn't visited the lavender farm at Snowshill for a few years, was surprised to see how busy it was. It had been well laid out to ensure good safety, and the weather was far better than predicted.

Aha! We are planning to meet up there next weekend with my daughter as she hasn’t been before. Is the lavender flowering now?

And Snowshill Manor is one of my favourite National Trust properties!

Edited by Thyrsis

Sold a POD photo, my first since re-joining that POD emporium at Xmas, a meagre fee, but a start!

Then I found a £10 note on the roadside while cycling. Always feel guilty about picking up money like that but there was no-one around. Will spend it on supplies for the local food bank.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Sold a POD photo, my first since re-joining that POD emporium at Xmas, a meagre fee, but a start!

Then I found a £10 note on the roadside while cycling. Always feel guilty about picking up money like that but there was no-one around. Will spend it on supplies for the local food bank.

Congrats on the sale and that is a noble thing to do with the found money.  I don't feel guilty about picking up money when I didn't see someone drop it.  I figure I have probably dropped more money than I have found, over the years.  And if I ever find a wallet, and I have, I will go to whatever lengths possible to get it back to the owner, with all the contents I found in it.  I would want the same.

• Love 1

38 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Congrats on the sale and that is a noble thing to do with the found money.  I don't feel guilty about picking up money when I didn't see someone drop it.  I figure I have probably dropped more money than I have found, over the years.  And if I ever find a wallet, and I have, I will go to whatever lengths possible to get it back to the owner, with all the contents I found in it.  I would want the same.

I found a £50 note in the street a while ago (we hardly ever ever see £50 notes in England; a lot of shops won't even take them). I could have dropped it off at the nearest police station, but decided, instead, to spend it on a steak dinner and lots of beer. Then, soon after, I found a wallet in the street, with money, cards, etc. I did a bit of detective work, and found the guy's phone number, so I was able to post it back to him. He was very grateful.

Don't know where that puts me on the moral scale. But the steak was good...

On 04/07/2020 at 14:17, Bryan said:

There are times when I am glad that I live somewhere with a mediocre climate, never exceedingly hot and only rarely very cold. It rained most of today. Dullness predicted for the next few days.

However, I was able to pick and eat our first ripe tomato of the year !

I’ve ate a couple of small tomatoes, but picked my first large beefmaster today. It’s pretty big. Not quite ripe, had to get it before the birds noticed it. Two days in my window should do it. My tomato plants are in pots, and keeping them watered in this heat keeps me busy. None are splitting, so I must be doing it right.

If one lets them get too dry then flood them with water, they will split since they take up water quicker than the skin can grow.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve ate a couple of small tomatoes, but picked my first large beefmaster today. It’s pretty big. Not quite ripe, had to get it before the birds noticed it. Two days in my window should do it. My tomato plants are in pots, and keeping them watered in this heat keeps me busy. None are splitting, so I must be doing it right.

If one lets them get too dry then flood them with water, they will split since they take up water quicker than the skin can grow.

Strangely enough, the birds in these parts haven't yet figured out that tomatoes are good to eat, they'll devastate the brassicas, and eat all of your berries, but, to date, they haven't touched the tomatoes. They're not keen on lettuce either, maybe they realise that's slug food, and slugs are bird meat.   Hopefully I'm not tempting fate!

• Love 1

9 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I could have dropped it off at the nearest police station

Good luck with that, they don't take lost property any more, at least not round here. A grim humourless woman told me to use social media when I tried to drop off found credit cards at Oxford St. Aldates Police Station even though I told her that I'd already identified the student owner and she would be coming in to pick them up. In fact I'd found them early in the morning in South Park, just by Oxford Brookes University and her student card was with them so I went straight round there with them. The jobsworth at the entrance wouldn't let me enter with my motorbike even though I told him why I was there, he wouldn't let me park it anywhere either. I went into town and eventually made contact with Oxford Brookes by phone and they suggested dropping them off at the Police Station, which was where I came across the unhelpful woman on the desk. In the end the only way to return them to the rightful owner was for the girl student to come into Oxford and meet a complete stranger outside Marks & Spencers. Brilliant.

23 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Good luck with that, they don't take lost property any more, at least not round here. A grim humourless woman told me to use social media when I tried to drop off found credit cards at Oxford St. Aldates Police Station even though I told her that I'd already identified the student owner and she would be coming in to pick them up. In fact I'd found them early in the morning in South Park, just by Oxford Brookes University and her student card was with them so I went straight round there with them. The jobsworth at the entrance wouldn't let me enter with my motorbike even though I told him why I was there, he wouldn't let me park it anywhere either. I went into town and eventually made contact with Oxford Brookes by phone and they suggested dropping them off at the Police Station, which was where I came across the unhelpful woman on the desk. In the end the only way to return them to the rightful owner was for the girl student to come into Oxford and meet a complete stranger outside Marks & Spencers. Brilliant.

Well done for going beyond the call of duty on this one!

However, cut police funding and that's part of what you get. I've a mate who is a retired copper and he finds the whole thing very depressing.

4 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Well done for going beyond the call of duty on this one!

Thanks, yes I know that the police are under-funded and it must be very demoralising not to be able to respond in the way that they would like to.  Still, having to wait for this particular woman to amble over and tell me to use social media even though I'd just told her that I had already been in contact with the owner wasn't a high point in customer relations. Presumably support staff rather than trained police officer, but politeness doesn't cost anything. Actually I hadn't been in that police station before, or since, but I got the impression that the floor behind the vast imposing counter was about a foot higher than the floor us mortals had to stand on, which didn't help. Still, the girl got her cards back and I think I even got some half-decent pictures that day.

34 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Still, the girl got her cards back

If I found another wallet in the street today, I'd use Google and social media to reunite wallet and owner. To be fair to the police, they would probably have to do the same... or leave lost items languishing in some cupboard, waiting for someone to come and claim them.

On 04/07/2020 at 10:25, Colblimp said:

I just ate a load of eggy bread - yum

My mother used to make that dish for me when I was living at home.

Ahh, memories.

Allan

• Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic