Jump to content

Post a good thing that happened in your life today


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

What do people do now on Boxing Day? Besides rest.  Are there any traditions still followed?

 

In England there is a long tradition of football (soccer) on Boxing Day and onwards through the New Year. I've gone to London a few times on Boxing Day but it is a long haul as there are no trains so it means driving. This year because of the pandemic, there are very few games in front of fans - the only ones with fans in the top division (English Premier League) are in Liverpool where 2000 fans are allowed. All of the games at the moment are televised. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

You mean besides drinking too much wine?

You'll be pleased to learn that I passed on the port and stilton this evening Edo, it was a severe temptation, but I held out. Should I pass away overnight I shall regret that decision.

 

But the good news, I took delivery of this year's seed order today, a promise of things to grow in the months ahead. Not yet opened the package, I'll save that pleasure until tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love stilton and port, but it never loved me back. It was a sure path to a migraine. And today was the first time I drank too much in at least a dozen years. 

 

Is it windy up there, Bryan? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

I lived 28 years in the UK and never knew. Shame on me for not being more curious. So thank you for posting ReeRay.

 

interesting.  I live in Canada and i knew, but i would tell people it came from habit of people fighting over left over food on offer the day after Christmas, in early 20th century in Manchester.  

I guess people here are willing to accept anything that make Mancunians look like brutes. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I love stilton and port, but it never loved me back. It was a sure path to a migraine. And today was the first time I drank too much in at least a dozen years. 

 

Is it windy up there, Bryan? 

 

I'd like to think that the last time I had too much to drink was when I was a student, but it's probably not true. However we normally ration ourselves to a single glass of wine these days with a few alcohol free days between bottles. One of my gardening friends gave me 2 bottles of expensive wine as a thanks for help over the year, the temptation is there, but it's nicer to be able to share the stuff in good company. Bring on the vaccine.

 

It's a tad draughty Edo, but we have the Pennines between us and the source of the storm, so not as bad as elsewhere. Happily the rain is falling wet, prefer not to have to deal with snow, despite the photo opportunities.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It's a tad draughty Edo, but we have the Pennines between us and the source of the storm, so not as bad as elsewhere. Happily the rain is falling wet, prefer not to have to deal with snow, despite the photo opportunities.

 

I'm looking forward to the snow that's forecast here for Monday morning, will wait until then to see where it falls, and if it does. Will likely either gain height in the Chilterns or head a little way north. I remember long ago listening to the weather and traffic reports for where the snow fall would be heavy and leaving home in the early hours for the Ogwen Valley. Walking in thick snow then suddenly into a hidden dip and snow up to my knees was a wonderful experience. Those days are now likely over, locally snow is rare and never that heavy.

Edited by sb photos
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

I'm looking forward to the snow that's forecast here for Monday morning, will wait until then to see where it falls, and if it does. Will likely either gain height in the Chilterns or head a little way north. I remember long ago listening to the weather and traffic reports for where the snow fall would be heavy and leaving home in the early hours for the Ogwen Valley. Walking in thick snow then suddenly into a hidden dip and snow up to my knees was a wonderful experience. Those days are now likely over, locally snow is rare and never that heavy.

Looking forward to some snow here also, at the moment my phone is saying a 40% chance so trying not to get my hopes up too much though have put my snow boots on standby.....meanwhile it's a nice day today so will probably go for a walk around the flooded V Park😁

 

Carol

Link to post
Share on other sites

After a very wet and windy night with storm Bella today is bright and sunny so we’ve been for a walk. We’ve been exploring local villages that we don’t know so today we walked from Marsh Baldon to Toot Baldon and back. Sat awhile on a bench outside the 13century church with wonderful views out across South Oxfordshire. Home for a bacon sandwich! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

During lockdown we've been searching for TV programmes that are mutually acceptable and easy on the brain, stuff to watch while eating. One such series involves the architect George Clarke, (a pleasant local lad) who advises couples on renovation projects on their houses. George is an affable if slightly OTT character who gets to kiss all of the women. 

 

However a few things emerge from these shows: -

 

1) It appears that whenever an architect provides an estimate, you can happily add at least 50% in order to reach a more realistic figure.

 

2) Kitchen users beware, he will knock down all of the walls he can in an effort to make your living area open plan and the kitchen occupy  as much space as possible

 

3) Your kitchen may well end up with an island unit with a projecting top just at the right height to poke out a young child's eye.

 

Personally, when I cook, I prefer to be alone, or at best accompanied by the radio. I can't see any merit in having noise transmitted between the rooms. I don't want to hear the TV in the lounge when working in the kitchen. We have a galley kitchen, something that would appal George and apparently all of the people on the show. However, it's an incredibly efficient use of space, two strides will take you to any of the working surfaces or storage places.  Chefs working in trains, on ships and even nuclear submarines, cater for the masses from smaller kitchens than I possess.

 

May be an age thing, but I just don't get it 🙃

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I love stilton and port, but it never loved me back. It was a sure path to a migraine. And today was the first time I drank too much in at least a dozen years. 

 

 

Yesterday was the first time I drank too much in a dozen hours.

We had Cadillac with the cheese, Ed. Sauternes, Monbazillac or whatever would have done as well. OH did one of those dinky little plates of three varieties you pay about £15 for at fancy restaurants......but on a plate, not a roof tile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Yesterday was the first time I drank too much in a dozen hours.

We had Cadillac with the cheese, Ed. Sauternes, Monbazillac or whatever would have done as well. OH did one of those dinky little plates of three varieties you pay about £15 for at fancy restaurants......but on a plate, not a roof tile.

 

Must admit I had to look up Cadillac, even though we’re dessert wine lovers I don’t know that one. Best one we’ve ever had was  called Chateau Filhot, a rather nice Sauternes!

I’m just enjoying a glass of a chilled Viognier from Aldi which is a very reasonable £5.49 while I teach Ian to make smoked haddock chowder. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thyrsis said:

Must admit I had to look up Cadillac

A nice one we picked up in Toulouse. With that name it was bought to be drunk with No. 1 son, the petrolhead who has a Maserati, but he's in Beverley and we couldn't wait.🤩

Link to post
Share on other sites

All this talk of cheeses and dessert wines settled it for me. I'm having lunch out tomorrow. I'll go to the nearby Queens Wine Bar and Bistro, where they always make me feel welcome dining alone. The owner has an Italian greyhound puppy who seems to understand my Romano chatter. 

 

The lockdown here has lightened to Tier 2, so we can shop, eat out both inside and out, and kiss strangers in the street. London is now Tier 4, so it's against the law to look out your window. 

 

Mark, what good is a Maserati if it doesn't get you there on time? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

what good is a Maserati if it doesn't get you there on time? 

Oh but it does, when he's allowed to go anywhere, but Beverley's in tier 3. We're in chokey, as you say. So he can't come here and we can't go there.

Lovely car, but last year it ate its own catalytic converter and the indigestion cure cost £3000.

Cars are about as much use as chocolate teapots at the moment. Just about all ours has done for weeks is take me to the DIY store to buy an axe.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

That is 🤨a shame.

We see friends- they coincidentally take their exercise past our front door where they may coincidentally find a glass of wine.🍷

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/12/2020 at 19:12, Michael Ventura said:

What do people do now on Boxing Day? Besides rest.  Are there any traditions still followed?

Down here in rural Hampshire we have a group of "mummers" performing at the local pubs, and occasional morris dancers too. Unfortunately - stuck in Tier 4 as we are - everything was cancelled this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

 

 

The lockdown here has lightened to Tier 2, so we can shop, eat out both inside and out, and kiss strangers in the street. London is now Tier 4, so it's against the law to look out your window. 

 

Oxfordshire is now in tier 4 meaning we can do f**ck all. Not because there is a problem in Oxfordshire but because we join onto Bucks and Berks which are tier 4  areas and people from there were coming into Oxfordshire to drink and eat the knock-on effect has hit us. Crazy!!

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a lovely family dinner at my daughter’s. There were 6 adults, and three darling girls 6 1/2 and below.  My son left my house today at 4 pm to drive home about 800 miles away.  He gave me $500 for a Christmas gift and I think I’ll use it to hire an electrician.

 

I really need another electrical outlet in Echo’s room, which is also my studio. This room was added on as a sun porch by a previous owner, who really did a bad job. I believe the old man must’ve hired a neighbor, someone who barely knew how to knock two boards together.

There is no way to access the crawl space, and I think that’s the only way an outlet can be done is for the wiring to go under the floor. It might involve ripping my wooden exterior steps out to gain access to the crawl space. The whole thing is a headache because my mind has gone round and round trying to figure out a solution.

I need a sunlight balanced light over my art table, but there’s only one outlet in the room and it’s on the wrong side. I can’t have a cord running across the floor or Echo might fly to the floor and chew on it, or I could trip on it. Fastening a cord up the wall and across the ceiling would offend my eyes.  ARRGGH!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Oxfordshire is now in tier 4 meaning we can do f**ck all. Not because there is a problem in Oxfordshire but because we join onto Bucks and Berks which are tier 4  areas and people from there were coming into Oxfordshire to drink and eat the knock-on effect has hit us. Crazy!!

 

An issue relating to the simplification of areas allocated a tier is counties that have multiple district councils can and have previously been allocated different tiers. Buckinghamshire ditched their district councils for a single unitary authority, so high and low Covid case areas are lumped into one. Personally, like many others, I have avoided eating or drinking out since the pandemic began in the UK, far far safer. Unfortunately there are groups of the population who believe they are invincible or don't care, likely those you mention, they are a threat to all. Soon the UK will all likely all be in tier 4/ full lockdown.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Cars are about as much use as chocolate teapots at the moment. Just about all ours has done for weeks is take me to the DIY store to buy an axe.

During lockdown here I was getting seven weeks to the gallon, most economical car I ever owned😂

Phil

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sb photos said:

 Unfortunately there are groups of the population who believe they are invincible or don't care, likely those you mention, they are a threat to all. Soon the UK will all likely all be in tier 4/ full lockdown.

 

So true. My sister in law has 3 teenagers, 2 of them at university. They come and go as they please, out drinking with friends, no isolating after travel and no thought to how their actions could impact on others. Makes me cross! 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We mustn't turn on each other rather than putting the blame where it really lies. You-know-who would love it to distract from their eye-test driving and crony-enriching.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

 

So true. My sister in law has 3 teenagers, 2 of them at university. They come and go as they please, out drinking with friends, no isolating after travel and no thought to how their actions could impact on others. Makes me cross! 

 

 

 

Excellent stereotyping. Perhaps your sister should impose the rules and educate her offspring better then. We can all be Mr and Mrs Gumby. The old people of today "blablabla". Yes let's all blame each other. Just what the Bojo's of this world like.  

 

As an exception and I am certain he is not the only one, my son is home from university for a few weeks, is spending most of his time studying for his exams in the New Year, has met one friend (also a student home for Christmas) outside for a socially distanced walk. Of course the good guys never get a mention. Here is the news - two people obeyed the rules today.

 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.