I've just passed the 5000 images milestone.  :)

At least 95% were taken on a Sony RX100 M1 or more recently a secondhand Sony RX100 M3.  I have no other photographic equipment and just use Adobe Elements 14 for editing.  Most were taken on days out/holidays which is where the small Sony comes into it's own.  I can snap away while out with family and friends without disrupting the day or appearing rude.

Anyone considering one of these cameras should look at my portfolio by clicking on the total images figure on the right.

Stock photography on a shoestring maybe, but I have sales every month which are a useful boost to my state pension.

John

Great job John. I am 1200 behind you and at my upload rate by the time you are at 6000 I think I will be 2200 behind.:D

Allan

Well done, I'm a little ways behind you. I use my wife's RX100 mk1 occasionally but I haven't really come to terms with the settings which I don't find intuitive. It's handy though when the DSLR isn't practicable. 

I'm in step with you on your thoughts, John, and have just over 5,000 now myself. As a semi-pro activity, Alamy editorial stock is golden. Being a mainstream player would be a very different bag of tricks that the older me does not want to deal with. Doing News, for example, would mean working on the schedule of events, not my own. 

The Sony RX100 series is great for 92% of editorial stock. Working with a tight budget is the sensible thing to do. And I found that staying with the program is useful to me, not only for the money.  It gives me something to do that is both physical and mental. And creative.

Good on you, John!

Great work. Nice portfolio and encoraging to note your comment about sales. I am a long way behind you both in content and sales. 1 only to date after 15 months but zooms are definately increasing significantly. Keep it up

5 hours ago, John Walker said:

At least 95% were taken on a Sony RX100 M1 or more recently a secondhand Sony RX100 M3.  I have no other photographic equipment and just use Adobe Elements 14 for editing.  Most were taken on days out/holidays which is where the small Sony comes into it's own.  I can snap away while out with family and friends without disrupting the day or appearing rude.

Anyone considering one of these cameras should look at my portfolio by clicking on the total images figure on the right.

Stock photography on a shoestring maybe, but I have sales every month which are a useful boost to my state pension.

John

I just bought this camera on the advice of this forum and I agree...it takes some great stuff, and I use it more then my Nikons now...I get our for a walk at lunch and snap away without people looking at me funnier then usual. Great portfolio...this is what I am working towards as well...but I have a long ways yet to go until retirement. 

Thanks for all your kind comments.

You will see that the majority of my images are taken in good weather.  As for worrying about the settings on the RX100 series,  practically every one was taken on full AUTO (The Green camera Icon) and in RAW.  The camera sorts everything out - clever little bugger :D.   More recently, I've changed to Aperture Priority leaving everything else on AUTO.  F5.6 seems to be the 'sweet spot' and I set the camera at that until I see a situation where a greater or lesser depth of field is required.  A good example is on one of my very recent images ( the mermaid statue looking out to sea - MK1G2D ) where I opened the iris fully.  F8 is the smallest I've used so far as the depth of field at that setting is enormous.  I'm guessing higher F Stops might give a degraded sharpness so haven't chanced it.  Need to experiment.

John

Hi John,

I'm not far behind you, slow and steady and a couple of years from retiring. I bought the Mk V last year, and although more than happy with it in some situations, It is no match for my 5D.

Maybe I need to try the auto mode for a bit.

Webby

@John Walker, that is really great to hear!!  Even though I have been with Alamy since 2008, I just recently, (last year) started to contribute.  I set a goal last year to have 1,600 images by end of 2018 but have fallen woefully behind,  (medical issues and major surgery in April have not helped), so I know how reaching a milestone like this must certainly feel.

I find your comment on the Sony RX100 very interesting.  I am currently shooting with a small m4/3 camera, Olympus OMD E-M1 Mk2, and have not been hindered one bit by it's small size sensor.  I may in fact purchase an RX100 when I want to go into super stealth mode.  Thanks for the post.  It has encouraged me more!

Rick

On 09/05/2018 at 09:43, John Walker said:

John

Congratulations, and thanks for the inadvertant prod.

I've long been whining about the weight of my 5D2 plus lens, and in fact, I don't 'have it with me all the time' for weight reasons.

So as I've saved money on a non-photographic project, I've ordered an RX100M3.

(So now I've no excuses)

On 09/05/2018 at 09:43, John Walker said:

John

Congratulations on your milestone. There is definitely something to be said for a small camera (mine is a Panasonic LUMIX G7). Not only easier to carry, it is much less obtrusive. I only get questions from people if I have a tripod set up or am using a long lens. I can be in the vicinity of professional photographers without attracting attention. It also helps being a woman though I think :)

Archived