Fab, up to 5 stars this morning 😁.  But it’s not retrospective: my uploads from Friday morning and three more Friday to yesterday are still in QC!  

No-one has mentioned any promotions to 4 stars yet:  I wonder whether there are any now, or whether all promoted 3 star contributors have gone up to 5 stars?  Presumably in future there will be a progression which will include 4 stars. 

I wonder whether the new system is a result of a rethink regarding live news restrictions?  I lost live news privileges, along with many others, when the system changed, although I have had several later stock sales from former live news uploads. The withdrawal of immediate live news uploads has led me not to bother uploading a small number of images, the immediacy of which would be lost with a QC wait.  We will of course still have to wait for the daily database update before our images can be found, but it does make the process a day or so quicker, which may give a better incentive to upload images of more immediate interest in the hope that they will still hit the target while the interest in the subject matter is still warm. 

Graham

Edited by Graham
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I thought it was a joke - but I also woke up to five stars this morning 😀 - any quicker QC will, of course, be an incentive to upload more newsworthy images this way. Will only have to wait for the daily update then, as Graham also states.

Edited by Niels Quist
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I thought it was a joke - but I also woke up to five stars this morning 😀 - any quicker QC will, of course, be an incentive to upload more newsworthy images this way. Will only have to wait for the daily update then, as Graham also states.

also the big advantage i found, is immediate access to the Image manager.  i'm much more likely to fill it out effectively, with image available right away, so that should be a positive for Alamy since they claim it's useful 

• Like 1

Despite a recent careless QC fail I have a very good record especially given my large number of high ISO interiors. 

Just took and uploaded two pics to test and passed very quickly with 5 stars now awarded. 

Wondering a little about the reasons for this. Saves staff time/costs, hands trust to contributors, gets images on sale more quickly. There must be an increased risk of below standard images getting through but assume that this is now a much lower risk than previously ( quality of camera might be a factor?) and therefore manageable in terms of cost/benefit. Presumably frees up QC staff to concentrate on those who are having difficulties assessing standards and passing QC so improves overall efficiency and standards.

Once or twice I have uploaded a 'borderline' single image to make sure that QC check it. Will have to be more disciplined in the future. 

A good, positive move.

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham said:

How strange.  I just uploaded a batch which went straight through under my new 5 star status - but the four submissions from Friday and the weekend are still sitting there awaiting QC!

Graham

Logic in back-end computer code probably looks at your star rating as soon as images are submitted and pushes them to one queue or another. Once assigned to a queue, they probably stay in that queue until processed as per the queue that they are in. The fact that your star rating just went up probably means that your new images got pushed to an instant pass queue.

• Thanks 1

Wonder if the five minute QC has something to with improved AI? With supervised machine learning it should be a doable thing. 

Then why not offer it to everyone? As no system is 100 % certain, it might make sense to offer this possibility only to contributors with the best quality history. Plus it is a loyalty program in itself; offering some privileges to your best partners and showing others that there might be something to gain if you keep your quality standards for long enough.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
Added some articles before nouns quite randomly

Yay, mine's changed to 5 star today....Working on an upload now, we'll see how quick that goes through. ;)

..45 minutes later: uploaded via FTP - straight through. Very happy  ;)

Edited by Webby

I wonder if this sudden change isn't due in part to Alamy's expecting to be overwhelmed by floods of RM images being uploaded by former contributors to a certain biG stock agency that has reportedly gone RF. The new 5-star system will certainly help take a lot of pressure off QC.

Edited by John Mitchell

Dam good show. Just recieved my   today and the images uploaded this afternoon have passed Q.C., but the ones uploaded last Friday are still in Q.C. May be they still have the  tag. Should pass in the next day or so. Looking on the bright side, sometimes when I have a load of keywording to do and my brain is getting a bit tired I may play a game, one of which is "Battle Supremacy" in which you are a tank commander and at the moment I'am a  General with 10 million points. To get to become a   General requires 20 million points and by some rough calculations it should take me about 6 years to recieve this additional .  So all is not so bad in the Alamy Q.C. world.

note that my images uploaded today are now in QC queue.  So it appears  still has QC,  but on random batches, which i am fine with, as it will keep us honest.  Thankfully these weren't as timely as the upload from yesterday.

note: just uploaded one more image, and it also went in queue, so i guess i'm in QC for all my uploads today.

Edited by meanderingemu

2 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I'm afraid my QC rank stays resolutely on three stars out of three, despite having never failed a QC check (and putting that in writing is surely tempting fate). I'll see if anything changes when I upload my latest batch of images later today.

Mine only changed when I uploaded a couple of pics to see what would happen.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

or, oops the programmer made a mistake when introducing the 

I did wonder that, but was afraid to say for fear of demotion.

Edit: Just uploaded two images, straight to AIM, no QC. I received my promotion to five stars late, so maybe my plug will be pulled late.

• Thanks 1