41 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

+1 Couldn't have put it better. It's transformed my workflow. I just hope it remains, but I'm wary given the lack of info from Alamy.

Mark

as we are seeing more reports that the system still includes random QC checks, if these remain unpredictable, and ungamable, people who want to unload weak stuff probably will continue to use other method (reportage)

in fact if the impact of a rejection means losing the 5* advantage, it's making me even more careful.  

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

+1 Couldn't have put it better. It's transformed my workflow. I just hope it remains, but I'm wary given the lack of info from Alamy.

Mark

Maybe I was right to be wary...  This morning my latest submission has gone into the usual QC queue :(.  I think my previous 5 or 6 submissions went thorough instantly. I still have a 5 star rating and there's nothing unusual about the images in the latest submission (e.g. high ISO, long exposure etc.)

Some info from Alamy about what's going on would be welcome.

Mark

Update - My images passed 30 mins later. 🙂

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

Today mine went also through within the hour, despite I had 2 fails just recently - these were my first QC fails since I started 2015. 

One was for a borderline high ISO image which failed for noise. 

The second fail was for CA around small white flowers.

Both I wasn't able to spot the flaws on my 4K monitor, on the 2K Monitor both noise and CA were visible.

Now reverted back to checking on my images on 2K monitor before I submit. 

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Maybe I was right to be wary...  This morning my latest submission has gone into the usual QC queue :(.  I think my previous 5 or 6 submissions went thorough instantly. I still have a 5 star rating and there's nothing unusual about the images in the latest submission (e.g. high ISO, long exposure etc.)

Some info from Alamy about what's going on would be welcome.

Mark

Update - My images passed 30 mins later. 🙂

My upload has just gone to QC instead of passing instantly, will see if it passes in 30 minutes.

You are right about Alamy giving us a statement of what is happening i suspect they are doing a lot of testing maybe?

Whatever Alamy are doing, with this 'instant QC' idea, it's bound to lower the perceived quality of new pix being added to the collection... if only by, say, 5-10%. I'd be interested to know the reasons why. A cost-saving measure? Eye problems for overworked QC staff??

1 minute ago, John Morrison said:

Whatever Alamy are doing, with this 'instant QC' idea, it's bound to lower the perceived quality of new pix being added to the collection... if only by, say, 5-10%. I'd be interested to know the reasons why. A cost-saving measure? Eye problems for overworked QC staff??

it also depends how many actually get the 5 Stars.  Don't forget we are all regulars here.  Just went and checked MSG and there is no mention of it.  

It's Monday morning confession time. I've discovered the hard way that the new "instant QC" is not failure-proof. I was burning the midnight oil Saturday night and decided to upload two images that I had been working on. No sooner had I submitted the files when I realized that I had inadvertently uploaded the wrong version of one them, a night shot in which I had opened the shadows up far too much revealing some very obvious noise, visible even in the thumbnail. It was of course too late to do anything about it.  I was actually relieved to see the submission get stuck in QC because it showed that the new QC system does run checks -- probably automated -- on images, which is a very good thing. My five-star rating does not appear to have been affected (yet). Moral of the story: always get a good night's sleep before uploading. DOH! 🙄

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig Yates said:

Yesterdays submission has just been passed manually by QC, followed up with the usual email confirmation. 

Uploaded another submission and that passed instantly.

It looks like they are checking every 1 in 10 submissions.

After that statement QC checks will be random.😃

Allan

I don't know about this QC rating system. I've generally passed QC consistently over the last several months. The few rejections came early in the year when I first started on here.

My rating is 3*.

I find that submissions on Sunday usually get through quickly and are ready on Monday. For me, any other nights, I should expect a wait of a couple of days. Doesn't bother me.

9 hours ago, Craig Yates said:

Yesterdays submission has just been passed manually by QC, followed up with the usual email confirmation. 

Uploaded another submission and that passed instantly.

It looks like they are checking every 1 in 10 submissions.

My recent five-star failure (how embarrassing) occurred late Saturday night, so I'm thinking that the offending image might have been flagged by software of some kind and then examined by a human on Monday morning. As mentioned in my post above, the noise was very obvious (even more embarrassing).

Over the last week or so, I've had images passing  through QC almost instantaneously, the first time I've ever experienced this on Alamy. Today, things appear to have reverted to the status quo, e.g. 24hrs or more. No, they have gone through in about 30mins this time! 

Edited by John Gaffen

12 minutes ago, John Gaffen said:

Over the last week or so, I've had images passing  through QC almost instantaneously, the first time I've ever experienced this on Alamy. Today, things appear to have reverted to the status quo, e.g. 24hrs or more. 

interesting.   most reports of QC on contributors have been in 2-3 hours time frame.  

1 hour ago, Phil Robinson said:

After several submissions passing immediately, the one I have just sent is now 'in QC'. It looks like the policy has moved from checking one or two images each time to checking random submissions.

for the safety on the collection, i truly hope it will be random.   i worry that mine have both happened on same day of the week so far

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

for the safety on the collection, i truly hope it will be random.   i worry that mine have both happened on same day of the week so far

The submission in QC was there for about 10 minutes before passing. The one I've just uploaded went straight through.

6 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

The submission in QC was there for about 10 minutes before passing. The one I've just uploaded went straight through.

Tests so far, While you have a submission in QC, new submissions also go to "QC- holding pattern", once you get to All clear, straight through until your number comes up again for random QC

On 11/12/2019 at 15:10, Phil Robinson said:

Had one that went into QC as well. Was approved early the next morning. Phew.