I'm still on 3 stars and having to wait for submissions to go through. I've not failed QC as yet but I've only been actively contributing since about April this year so I'm guessing that the 5 stars must be at least partly dependent on the amount of time a contributor has been active which to be fair makes a lot of sense :)

5 minutes ago, Sally said:

It would be nice if Alamy told us about this and why it is happening. I upload almost daily and always pass

There's absolutely no reason why I would get this and you not if I'm right in assuming that you are still on 3 stars, it must surely be just a matter of the system getting round to it. Like you I had a few fails early on until I learnt to look at my skies a bit more closely (!) but I've only been here for 18 months or so.

Edited by Harry Harrison
clarity

9 minutes ago, Sally said:

It would be nice if Alamy told us about this and why it is happening. I upload almost daily and always pass. I did have a fail a few months after I started nearly three years ago while I was still getting used to things. Maybe that’s against me.

My last fail was 3 years ago as well, and I've been favoured, so maybe your time will come soon.

Edit: here they go again. Just got another batch coming through. They're trickling by in between refreshes.

The "congrats, you've passed" message still comes up.

75 images through inside an hour and a half. Crumbs. What am I going to do with them? Oh right, keyword.

Edited by spacecadet

Hmmm, not sure what you have to do to qualify for the 5 stars and instant QC.  I uploaded 6 images an hour or so ago, and they are awaiting QC as normal.  I have only had one QC failure in recent years, and that was over a year ago, in October 2018.  Since then I have made about 200 submissions, all multiple images, and therefore several thousand images in total.  Previous to that, my last failure was in May 2014, so I am not a regular transgressor!  Maybe once you have been on the naughty step, it lasts a very long time....

Graham

3 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

There's absolutely no reason why I would get this and you not if I'm right in assuming that you are still on 3 stars, it must surely be just a matter of the system getting round to it. Like you I had a few fails early on until I learnt to look at my skies a bit more closely (!) but I've only been here for 18 months or so.

I asked Alamy. Here is the reply. Note the use of the word “may”. I have had 1,307 submissions since end of February 2017, though admittedly some of those are news, especially in the last year. Just did a quick count since January 2019 and I made 170 photo submissions versus 207 news submissions. Maybe that’s my problem.  

“QC time is based on your QC history, the more frequently you pass QC the less time you have to wait. If you keep passing QC then your QC rank may increase to 5 stars.“

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sally said:

“QC time is based on your QC history, the more frequently you pass QC the less time you have to wait. If you keep passing QC then your QC rank may increase to 5 stars.“

Ok, interesting, so they are mentioning 5 stars officially. I'll stay schtum in case I get them taken away before I've had the chance to use them.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I asked Alamy. Here is the reply. Note the use of the word “may”. I have had 1,307 submissions since end of February 2017, though admittedly some of those are news, especially in the last year. Just did a quick count since January 2019 and I made 170 photo submissions versus 207 news submissions. Maybe that’s my problem.  

don't forget "submission" for QC is counted at one per day and only week-days, but My Alamy counts all separate submit as one submission

Edited by meanderingemu

On 28/11/2019 at 12:16, LawrensonPhoto said:

Upload another right now and be amazed!

I just have done!! And I am amazed!!!!

Sent 10 images and by the time 7 had come through I had passed QC!! Less than 5 minutes!!!!

I remember my first 3 or 4 submissions were on CD. I had to wait about 2 weeks to find out my first submission had failed! Then another 2 weeks wait to find out if the next submission had passed - which it did do.

Wow, thank you Alamy.

John.

23 minutes ago, Russell said:

Does that mean we submit in batches of one or two to get our submission count up?

I for one haven't done anything different. Just the usual batches as they come out of LR- one for each day of photography, usually. My average batch size is about 20 and always has been.

Super duper QC will probably get round to you- just sit tight I think.

Edited by spacecadet

15 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Yep, just gone through

Such power.

I usually go through my LR exports dutifully downsizing the high-ISO pix as necessary and double- or triple-checking that nothing iffy gets through. I'm awfully tempted to save all that effort but I'll resist, of course😉.

No, I will. The five stars I see as a reward for that effort not to be trifled with. I imagine there's some still some post-QC pre-update checking going on.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I never send anything that I'm not happy with so I'll just carry on as I have been!

Same here. This is a real workflow boon, so I wouldn't want to lose the privilege.

I had a small batch ready to send on Monday. Just uploaded one now to test the waters, and it went straight through to AIM.

I don’t think this added benefit to contributors has been well managed. No announcement or indication of the criteria for Alamy. Surely something as momentous as this deserves an announcement? 

The rest of us still with 3 stars and a good track record will just have to be patient.

It’s a staggered roll out, we want to make sure the system works before releasing to everyone eligible. If you’ve got a good QC record just continue to do what you’re doing and your rating will be increased shortly.”

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I don’t think this added benefit to contributors has been well managed. No announcement or indication of the criteria for Alamy. Surely something as momentous as this deserves an announcement? 

The rest of us still with 3 stars and a good track record will just have to be patient.

It’s a staggered roll out, we want to make sure the system works before releasing to everyone eligible. If you’ve got a good QC record just continue to do what you’re doing and your rating will be increased shortly.”

Yes, it's odd that there wasn't a formal announcement, etc. However, it sounds as if everyone eligible will soon enjoy the same privileges.

11 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Yes, it's odd that there wasn't a formal announcement, etc. However, it sounds as if everyone eligible will soon enjoy the same privileges.

It would be nice to think so... I'm still on 3 stars. I'd rather got the impression that the stars system had been all but forgotten about and didn't really make much difference... I guess I was wrong!

5 stars here, yippie!! It's great because I have heaps to upload. I just have to find a good internet connection, my dongle isn't happy now where I'm camped.