How many photos do you upload at a time

41 minutes ago, Chester_Brown said:

Just curious, how many photos do you upload at a time? Being that if one fails they all fail. For now I have been doing about 5 a day.

Thanks,

Chester

I am not as a prolific shooter, as many are here on Alamy.  I usually only submit around 4-5 at a time mostly because I don't shoot a lot.  The other thing is I don't enjoy sitting endless hours behind the computer, tagging etc and 4-5 seems to fit my attention span.  I don't like to have images waiting in the "Not for Sale" bin.  I'm still working on improving my tagging and captioning skills so I probably do more research than the other folks here with large portfolios.

I don't worry about failing QC much anymore.  I am far more harsh on my images than QC will ever be and I think I have a good grasp on their requirements.  I can tell you though to REALLY watch out for CA (purple / red / blue fringing) though.  They can spot the tiniest bit of CA in an image and it catches out a lot of people.

Rick 

Lately, it’s been 6-10. Used to, it was closer to 15-25.  I get interrupted so much these days it makes it hard to concentrate on the tagging. In the past when failing QC got me 28 days in the sin bin, I kept right on working and would have an upload of over 100 waiting. I had lots of time to go over them with a fine-toothed comb. Those biggies always passed. 

Rick, you’re right about the CA. A tiny bit in the upper left corner was my downfall, once.

I don’t get why people are afraid of failing with bigger uploads. It’s no different than small ones, as long as you vett your images. If one out of a 100 fails, you kick out the one failure, double-check the other 99 and re-upload.

In fact, QC usually just checks a few out of an upload. A small upload may get all of them checked.

Just sayin’

Usually anything from 1 to 15 (usually around 10 though). Due to circumstances in my private life only upload about once a week, if I am lucky.

Allan

I have no set number.  My stock uploads are extremely varied.  I have only uploaded one image in the past month and probably won't do many more until spring. When actively out shooting, I can upload anywhere from 5 - 40.  Just depends on how many I took as I rarely go out on a specific shoot. My images usually come from just being somewhere and shooting what's around me.

Jill

As Jill says, a shoot at a time. AIM says my lifetime average is 26.7. Certainly QC considerations have no influence on the number as I'm pretty confident with it.

Biggest over the last year, 101, smallest, 1, usually one I've forgotten. If there's scope for batch tagging there's no point not uploading the whole batch together.

No set number, and I'm certainly not held back by QC considerations, for example I might upload several batches over a weekend. 

Weather here currently awful for photography, dull grey skies. so not much shooting going on.

I have always uploaded twenty in a batch, then five batches I have a hundred photos added. I can concentrate on 20 photos making sure all are technically correct and do reasonably good descriptions and tags before uploading.

For me it varies from 1 to 30 - I've never uploaded more than 30 in one go, I hate keywording so much it would be torture. I'm going through old images at the moment to see if I've anything suitable and have found some good ones.  I've my old lappy to go through yet, which could yield a few hundred - hopefully!

Anywhere from 1-30 with the low and high ends tending to be news uploads, regular stock seems to be more like 5-8 from a shoot. Haven't had a fail in a very, very long time but that doesn't influence me anymore. Right now I'm working my way through my huge backload so thinking I'll probably upload 10-20 at a time as I go through various shoots.  I tend to edit very tightly, too tightly I think. A couple of years ago I started going through old shoots and uploading stuff I hadn't processed before, and had some good sales from those previously neglected images this past year. My idea of what makes a good photo and what makes a useful photo for stock has changed since I've been at this for nearly a decade now, and I'm hopeful that with my faster processing and decision skills, I'll get a lot more up. In the past, I've tended to shoot way too many photos at once, do a ton of bracketing, and then get bogged down when faced with too many choices, so I've resolved to shoot a lot less with the hope that I'll be able to actually process what I shoot and get it online. As I go through my old backload, I'm hoping to process both the "wow" photos - suitable for calendar clients and the like - as well as the practical stock photos - and upload about 10-20 a week here - that's my goal anyway. With the frigid whether we've had here in NY lately, other than some snow photos, it's a good time to hit my backload and then shoot new work come spring. 

I upload either 20 or 25 each time. Lately, it's been about 3 times a week. I did get a rejection last week which made me consider uploading fewer, but I'm just being careful about what I'm uploading.

Smallest batch - 1. Biggest batch - 420. I don't limit batch size, I just upload when I have finished a shoot. So when I come back from a trip somewhere I tend to edit them all, keyword them all and then upload in one big batch. I have my QC process well sorted now, no need to fail it. 

I dint think the quantity matters, as long as you are happy with your processing skills. After one fail early on, I think I know what not to upload. 

I uploaded mixed photos to being with, but I found it a messy way to view photos on AIM (though I know you can use search to find photos), so now I tend to upload a group of photos that are coherent, eg taken in the same place or for Live News,  regardless of how many there are, or if it’s very large, I will split it into two groups.

I always (almost) do them in tens. Do ten, upload, have a coffee, do another ten,.......

Some days I drink a lot of coffee.

I don't think the chances of being rejected should be taken into account when deciding how many to upload. If you think they might get rejected, process more carefully to make sure they don't.

If you process 10 / 30 / 100 photos a day,  you need to upload 10 / 30 / 100 photos a day or you'll simply get a huge backlog.

I think it's important to keep the uploads going.  The QC clock starts ticking with your first upload. If you take two days to process 100 images and THEN upload them all, you have to wait at least a day for them to pass. If you upload the first ten, and continue in small batches, they should go through QC before you've even finished processing the rest.

Tried a big upload once. Something went horribly wrong at recieving end and was left uncertain as to what went where. All passed that I could see a few worry filled days later. But, I think the count was off. Happy though, so I've gone back to smaller batches, mostly due to health problems at the moment and am just trying to get a toehold on the field, again.

Going back from a couple of days ago - back to 2008:

I've not done much for a while mainly due to lack of interest and the annoyance of 6mb ASDL, however I'm more interested this year and now have 80mb VDSL (Fibre to the cab).  I'm guessing the two are linked!!

Archived