How was your 2021?

I finished the year with 266 licences for $5789 gross, which was my best year so far. 

I uploaded about 2350 images.

Sales volume up 87%: 266 sales in 2021 compared with 142 in 2020 (my previous best year)

Gross revenue up 42%: $5789 in 2021 compared with $4066 in 2020

Net revenue up 31%: $2512 in 2021 compared with $1916 in 2020

It's clearly going to be difficult to continue maintaining or increasing net revenue with the recent low prices and commission change though.

• Love 5
  • Like 3

Good for you, Gillian, David and Nick! 

2021 saw the most licences for me but not the best fees. As I've boringly said before, I don't put actual numbers in this open forum. 

I start 2022 with my WiFi down. Using my phone's personal hotspot here on New Year's Day. Techno flunk! Is there a digital time machine that will take me back to 1970, when I knew how to do everything?

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Best Year Ever for volume with 243 licenses,

3rd year for Gross income

5th year for Net income

Overall average price: $24

Added 1,490 images this year

• Love 4
  • Like 3

Saw an increase in sales but a reduction in income (at 100% sales value). When I recalculate the sales number to get me the 40 percent income value I am left with the impression that in my particular genre of photography its really not worth me bothering anymore. Its the end of the road for me as I don't see things improving to a point to inspire me to use my time this way anymore.

A sad reflection but an honest one for my personal situation. I won't give up photography but will give up stock.

Edited by Panthera tigris
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Best year for sales (100 - one more than 2019)

Third worst year (not counting my first part-year, 2009) for gross $$ at $1597.

Only last year was worse for net, due to a big dip in sales in 2020.

So the only positive is that this year has netted me more than last year. But I was still on 50% for much of this year, so next year ... 😞

My 'other place' (also with reducing sales values) with 11% fewer files has netted me almost twice as much, with December still to be reported.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Panthera tigris said:

Saw an increase in sales but a reduction in income (at 100% sales value). When I recalculate the sales number to get me the 40 percent income value I am left with the impression that in my particular genre of photography its really not worth me bothering anymore. Its the end of the road for me as I don't see things improving to a point to inspire me to use my time this way anymore.

A sad reflection but an honest one for my personal situation. I won't give up photography but will give up stock.

Beautiful photos though!

I have continued the growth i had set for myself, again doubling earnings from prior year for 3rd year, and i guess i should be happy, but the end of year left me with a bitter taste.  Refund, the extra affiliate charges, and the Chinese fiasco really has hit me (my December is actually a negative net overall).

So i am taking a step back to figure out how I feel about the 2021 results, but in the end i am within my growth target, i just hate the fact looking at sales report is more frustrating that fun recently.

• Love 2

A decent year, with December bringing in the highest monthly total revenue since I started with Alamy in 2017.

I added over 6,000 images in 2021. I've seen a 43% increase in total sale numbers with a corresponding 38% increase in total revenue. The increase in net revenue is however only 26% and because I was getting 50% for just over half the year whereas now the contributor's percentage is 40%, I expect to see that drop next year. Nevertheless, the sales bring in a decent income (largely due to live news uses), though I do spend a huge amount of time on it. 

Edited to add: not much change in average sale price. 2020: $28.86  2021: $27.96

Edited by Sally
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

Sales volume at Alamy had been holding steady for me, but this year showed a substantial uptick, with 283 sales.  Revenue continues on a downward trend, with $2279 net.  Better than some (AS $1623 or SS $1195).  I won't be leaving Alamy because of 0.04 cent sales yet.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

28 sales for $1,133 gross - both numbers nearly double 2020.

Average sale just over $40 gross.

I'm happy with these results with my small port.

287 new images added in 2021.

Hoping to add considerably more in 2022.

Happy New Year to all!

• Love 3

For the year, total 140 sales (NOT including those pathetic $0.15/0.04), my second best ever. Gross total $6715, better than 2020, but far short of my best year (2017). Average of ~ $48 per sale. 18 $$$ licenses. Highest $299. 

• Love 2

It's been best year also for me in volume, gross and nett, helped enormously by a 4 figure sale in July(pre commission cut!) without which

although the volume and gross would still be up the nett would be down.

I too am pondering just how much effort to put into adding more; if the only hope is for an occasional high sale to offset the stupid giveaways then I really do 

feel it's a waste of time. Also I'm 99% sure that I will opt out of distribution in April as getting a 24% share is utter crap!

Anyway a happy new year to all. Stay positive & test negative!!!

Phil

• Like 1