How was your 2021?

Tied with 2020 for second best year for total sales (153), but gross income was down 20% from 2020 and 34% from 2019. 🙁

All things considered, 2021 was my worst year ever for income since I started making regular sales. I made $1400 gross more (and I kept 60%) in 2009 with only 55 sales and probably less than 2000 images.

Can't see myself devoting a lot of time to stock photography in 2022. I'm not Rocky and don't want to be. 🥊

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I found it interesting that one of two previous best years for number of sales was 2018. Total gross was $9425. Payout was $4776.

2021 beat all years decently for number of sales. Gross was $2629. Payout was $1176.

Interesting that payout for 2018 was more than 4 X than gross for 2021 with more images.

And payout is more the important figures than gross, since our percentage cut.

I’m listing payout instead of net, because that’s what landed in my pocket for each year, including DACS.

• Love 2

The only positive I can take from my statistics is that increased sales mean that the rate of decline in gross income appears to be levelling off. 

Motivation low, but I still quite enjoy messing about in PS and researching and keywording, so I'll continue to carry a (small ) camera and and pick the low hanging fruit.  No more putting myself out, taking risks, or making special trips for stock photography.

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The only positive I can take from my statistics is that increased sales mean that the rate of decline in gross income appears to be levelling off. 

Motivation low, but I still quite enjoy messing about in PS and researching and keywording, so I'll continue to carry a (small ) camera and and pick the low hanging fruit.  No more putting myself out, taking risks, or making special trips for stock photography.

I'll probably do much the same. Shall also be pursuing my personal interests more. With the occasional spikes and dips, my gross income has actually remained fairly consistent, although the 20% drop in 2021 was worrying, especially since it was a good year for sales. It's more the steadily declining net income that fills me with doom and gloom. I can't see things ever returning to anything approaching a fair deal for photographers, quite the opposite in fact.  😧

• Like 3

As someone who relies on photography for 100% of his income, while it is tough to have the Alamy income dwindle, my assignment income gave me my best year ever and I have been on my own since 1986.  Prior to '86, I was working for other photographers while honing my own craft.  Now in my 60s, I really didn't think it would be possible to continue to grow the assignment work and was hoping that stock photo income would continue to grow....well that didn't happen, the opposite has.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

As someone who relies on photography for 100% of his income, while it is tough to have the Alamy income dwindle, my assignment income gave me my best year ever and I have been on my own since 1986.  Prior to '86, I was working for other photographers while honing my own craft.  Now in my 60s, I really didn't think it would be possible to continue to grow the assignment work and was hoping that stock photo income would continue to gain grown....well that didn't happen, the opposite has.

That’s great, Michael. Good that you have more than 1 egg in your basket.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s great, Michael. Good that you have more than 1 egg in your basket.

Thanks Betty.  I do wish I had another source of income...I don't how much longer I can keep the proverbial (photo) plates up in the air, I am feeling my age for sure.  Some of my peers have taken to teaching or conducting photo workshops  but I don't think I am up for that.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

As someone who relies on photography for 100% of his income, while it is tough to have the Alamy income dwindle, my assignment income gave me my best year ever and I have been on my own since 1986.  Prior to '86, I was working for other photographers while honing my own craft.  Now in my 60s, I really didn't think it would be possible to continue to grow the assignment work and was hoping that stock photo income would continue to grow....well that didn't happen, the opposite has.

Good for you. You're a talented and hard-working photographer. I'm just a dabbler. I started submitting to photo libraries (I liked that term better than "stock agencies") back in the early 90's to boost my freelance travel writing income doing something I enjoyed. I used to get both writing and photo assignments from publications, but those days are gone. IMHO, the breakdown of the fair 50/50 split is the final nail in the coffin for traditional stock photography. Anything goes now. Just call me "Mr. Doom and Gloom." 😎

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Relative comparison to 2020. Def more sales in terms of volume but the revenue is not keeping up.

2020            2021                  % Up
Total Images on Sale 3339 4704 41
Number of Sale 24 80 233
Gross 778.41 1180.88 52
Net 370.07 521.98 41

• Love 3

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Thanks Betty.  I do wish I had another source of income...I don't how much longer I can keep the proverbial (photo) plates up in the air, I am feeling my age for sure.  Some of my peers have taken to teaching or conducting photo workshops  but I don't think I am up for that.

So true in the arts. Work for yourself without the company pension at retirement age, and SS depends on best years of income, usually not enough without a a healthy IRA.. People in movies, pro sports and big name singers pull in the bucks, but people like you scratch and do your best to earn a decent income. And you’ve got to travel and make wonderful images. I got into photography too late in the game to achieve what you’ve done. And it’s harder for married women who do it all at home to have the time to get good.

While I raised kids, I groomed poodles at home because I couldn’t get out of the house until the kids were older. Entrepreneur men usually has it easier. Although you, living alone, still have your house duties. But nobody asking, “What’s for dinner?” I don’t have that now. I ate a bowl of cold cereal for dinner tonight. 😁

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

316 for 9043 gross

average 28.62 gross

55 distros

18x 100+ with 500 as the highest.

You all know about the lowest.

The volume is back at the level of 2017; 2018; 2019. But not 2016.

$$ gross is just over the level of 2020. Which was at around half of 2016.

wim

• Love 5

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

So true in the arts. Work for yourself without the company pension at retirement age, and SS depends on best years of income, usually not enough without a a healthy IRA.. People in movies, pro sports and big name singers pull in the bucks, but people like you scratch and do your best to earn a decent income. And you’ve got to travel and make wonderful images. I got into photography too late in the game to achieve what you’ve done. And it’s harder for married women who do it all at home to have the time to get good.

While I raised kids, I groomed poodles at home because I couldn’t get out of the house until the kids were older. Entrepreneur men usually has it easier. Although you, living alone, still have your house duties. But nobody asking, “What’s for dinner?” I don’t have that now. I ate a bowl of cold cereal for dinner tonight. 😁

Yes, I have never had benefits, it’s all on me to put money away and buy my health insurance (which is very expensive). My wife was a working mom and so we had an older Russian immigrant nanny come to our house each weekday until the kids were of school age. She was amazing, like a grandma to our kids.  And back then, I had my health insurance thru my wife.  

And speaking of dinner, I called my son this evening and cajoled him into coming over for a pasta dinner.  It didn’t take much cajoling since he’s a big fan of pasta.  I am fortunate to have my kids so close by.

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

316 for 9043 gross

average 28.62 gross

55 distros

18x 100+ with 500 as the highest.

You all know about the lowest.

The volume is back at the level of 2017; 2018; 2019. But not 2016.

$$ gross is just over the level of 2020. Which was at around half of 2016.

wim

You always have such impressive numbers for your port size!  I need four times the images to equal your results! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

You always have such impressive numbers for your port size!  I need four times the images to equal your results! 

Thank you!

- And still I'm not satisfied: I should practice some humility.

Also I have been lazy during Corona/Covid. Photography-wise that is. Maybe with the rest too. I only do silly stuff like this. More reason for humility.

Shame even. Must Work Harder.

Maybe Monday. 😎

wim

• Love 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, I have never had benefits, it’s all on me to put money away and buy my health insurance (which is very expensive). My wife was a working mom and so we had an older Russian immigrant nanny come to our house each weekday until the kids were of school age. She was amazing, like a grandma to our kids.  And back then, I had my health insurance thru my wife.  

And speaking of dinner, I called my son this evening and cajoled him into coming over for a pasta dinner.  It didn’t take much cajoling since he’s a big fan of pasta.  I am fortunate to have my kids so close by.

I made enough pasta 2 days ago to have leftovers yesterday! One of the things I enjoy doing, is when I cook something I love, I make enough to eat it multiple times, at least twice, but sometimes longer! I made nachos for lunch today, with enough leftovers to feed my daughter when she comes to town tomorrow, along with the custard pie I’ll bake tomorrow. I did the pastry today, will fill and bake it tomorrow. 
I had to go off an important anti-inflammatory yesterday to moderate bleeding until after surgery, so I’m unable to stand very long. 

• Love 4

Sales numbers up 14%, Gross Revenue down 14%, Net revenue obviously worse due to the cut in our share.

Sales numbers have gradually increased in 5 out of the last 6 years, but revenue reduced every year for the last 7 years except one when I had an exceptional $$$$ sale.

I haven't submitted any images since the change in commission and still debating whether to do so - but the ridiculously low fees I'm now receiving (even though I'm opted out of novel use) isn't exactly encouraging me to restart submitting more work .... 

• Like 1

Best year in terms of quantity for me which was up 26% on 2020. Revenue gross was also up on 2020 by 57% but 2020 was not my best so 2021 resulted in being my second best year.

Overall I still seem to be steadily moving forwards even if at a snails pace so reasonably happy.

Here's to 2022 and let's see what that brings!

Jim. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Increased my images from 3,088 to 3,728

Licenses up by 49% over the previous year.

Revenue up by 109% over the previous year (and also easily beats my previous best year 2018)

So, apart from the commission cut.... actually feeling pretty good about things. Best year ever for sales and revenue. So feeling optimistic for 2022 and hoping Covid dies away largely too 🤞 Here's to a great year for everyone 🍾🎉

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 2
  • Like 3

One short of my total licence sales for 2020, but revenue for 2021 more that doubled that achieved last year because prices better overall. I too am optimistic for the year ahead.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Total sales in 2021 = 59

with about 1,500 images available for sale

(last photo added to my portfolio was in 2016)

2012 = 1

2013 = 16

2014 = 57

2015 = 63

2016 = 57
2017 = 64
2018 = 50
2019 = 39
2020 = 27

2021 = 59
Total sales = 433

An additional 117 sales on Alamy’s iPhone App

with about 1,000 images available for sale

One sale fewer than last year. 5% less revenue. Considering that until the middle of this year I had hardly added to my portfolio for about 3 years I'm pleased to have kept up.

Alan

17 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Thank you!

- And still I'm not satisfied: I should practice some humility.

Also I have been lazy during Corona/Covid. Photography-wise that is. Maybe with the rest too. I only do silly stuff like this. More reason for humility.

Shame even. Must Work Harder.

Maybe Monday. 😎

wim

Maybe never for me. Alamy certainly isn't providing much incentive to work harder. It seems that we are now well on the road to normalizing the new 40/60 split. How long before we have to normalize a 30/70 split, a 20/80 split, etc. ? I'm sure that Marx (the one with the big beard) would have had something to say about all this. 🧔

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 2
  • Like 4