Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bryan, some people want to believe they are smarter than the tested science -- a high road and low road thing.

Also simply because they think they will not be affected badly themselves by Covid and there is a careless disregard for the health of others. It is the same thing as drunk or careless driving. The message that masks give the people around you protection has been lost in the rush to pretend everything is normal, which is far from the truth. There were almost 54,000 positive cases reported yesterday in the UK - the highest since July when they removed restrictions. And still the message from government is carry on regardless with your Christmas plans - nothing to see here - all is normal. It is no surprise that some people refuse to wear masks with such mixed messages. 

Edited by MDM
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good to hear you enjoyed your birthday Betty !!

Back to to realities of life here with Covid. We normally walk or cycle, but due to the icy  conditions, yesterday we took the bus to do some food shopping and I was pleased to see that most people were wearing masks, both on the buses and in the shops. It is a legal requirement to wear  a  mask on public transport and the driver was giving out free masks for those without. Despite this, a small minority of mainly younger adults did not comply. I find this attitude difficult to understand.

Where i am currently with a mandated mask on buses, the main ones not wearing masks are the drivers (i would say 15-25% from observation).  So the people with the most prolonged and most contacts are the one not protecting others and themselves.  

56 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

Where i am currently with a mandated mask on buses, the main ones not wearing masks are the drivers (i would say 15-25% from observation).  So the people with the most prolonged and most contacts are the one not protecting others and themselves.  

Are they not behind perspex screens as ours are and of course they can open a window? Having done it yesterday I find an extended period masked is very unpleasant.

You get on the bus, then get out again a short while later. A full shift would be purgatory.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Are they not behind perspex screens as ours are and of course they can open a window? Having done it yesterday I find an extended period masked is very unpleasant.

You get on the bus, then get out again a short while later. A full shift would be purgatory.

I was AMAZED today. Watching live snooker on TV at lunchtime and did not see one person in the audience wearing a mask. Packed in like sardines too.

The only mask wearing person I saw was the ref.

Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I was AMAZED today. Watching live snooker on TV at lunchtime and did not see one person in the audience wearing a mask. Packed in like sardines too.

Allan

Dummies audience?  

Alan, is it possible that you just didn't see it well... 🙂

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

The York Barbican requires vaccine passports for admission. Vaccinated, recovered or tested negative.

I'd say about a quarter are wearing them in the O'Sullivan- Wilson match. Looks like a pretty normal seat spacing for a theatre. A large venue simply can't exist financially with social distancing.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Following government guidelines, so that's going to turn out OK then....

https://www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/venue-info/coronavirus-update/

I've also enjoyed watching the snooker on TV this week.  I have noticed some wearing masks, the majority are not.  Maybe it depends which channel you watch it on and what camera angles are shown, it's on BBC2 and Eurosport 2.  Masks aren't mandatory in these venues at present so I guess it's down to the individual.

Anyway enjoy watching the rest of the tournament, I certainly will especially after this afternoon's result😄  Then of course there is the Scottish Open next week being played in Wales😄

Carol

36 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Following government guidelines, so that's going to turn out OK then....

https://www.yorkbarbican.co.uk/venue-info/coronavirus-update/

There is an important difference between attending an event which is presumably by choice and travelling on public transport, for example, which may be essential. But the fact that venues may be requiring vaccine passports, recent testing or evidence of recent recovery can generate a false sense of security for those who decide to attend. The fact is that vaccinated individuals can be infectious even if they don't exhibit symptoms and that recent testing does not guarantee that an individual is not Covid-positive (and there is often no stipulation that lateral flow tests cannot be self-administered). Hopefully people understand the risks in attending an indoor event rather than simply believing that these policies are going to offer a high degree of protection.

Furthermore, as the Omicron variant establishes itself and there is little doubt that is happening, the risks become much greater.  The scientific jury is currently out on the effectiveness of existing vaccines as well as the effectiveness of previous infection by the Delta or other variants. But again the messages from the UK government give the impression that all is fine when the reality is that there are huge unknowns as to what will happen in the coming weeks. Caution is not on the menu. But the scientists are saying something completely different. I know who I am inclined to trust.

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

I've been in a business incubator program since last December. By April I was halfway through, but between vertigo and family obligations, things came to nearly a standstill for many months and I was afraid I wouldn't finish by the Dec 15 deadline, but I finished the program on the 1st, and qualified for both grants available, totalling $5,000. 

I was also asked to lead the program's Artist's Mastermind Program for the next four months since I'm a "strong" entrepreneur and seen as someone who can help many of the people in the program once the official program has ended. I haven't exactly been feeling very optimistic or good about myself lately, so this was a big boost of confidence. 

If you want to see my new venture, here's a 4-minute video that shows what I'm doing - essentially, finding a way to make fine art photography a much bigger part of my photography practice. Between assignments drying up when Covid started and the uncertainties engendered by health issues, relying more on my fine art practice makes sense for me at this stage and so far I've sold seven images to hospitals in the past few months, despite only being able to work at it on a limited basis. Vertigo seems to be easing up significantly at last, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I got to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends which was wonderful, another good thing in my life. Anyway, if you have four minutes to spare, take a look - I may have shared this months ago, can't recall, but if nothing else, you should find the images in the video calming: 

• Love 3
  • Like 1

@Betty LaRue Happy Birthday Betty! Glad you had such a lovely and pain-free day! I'm feeling fairly pain free myself today after a visit to the acupuncturist yesterday - another good thing!

Being able to do something normal like go to lunch with your daughters - truly a good day - so happy for you! And laughter is the best medicine after all!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

Hopefully people understand the risks in attending an indoor event rather than simply believing that these policies are going to offer a high degree of protection.

I doubt that somehow, government messaging isn't emphasizing that the vaccinated can still catch it and pass it on, though amazingly there is a clip of Johnson actually saying that in an isolated moment of lucidity. For me the vaccinated are probably more dangerous than the un-vaccinated at the moment. Look what happened about Dr. Jenny Harries recommending caution, we'll probably never hear from her again.

40 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I've been in a business incubator program since last December. By April I was halfway through, but between vertigo and family obligations, things came to nearly a standstill for many months and I was afraid I wouldn't finish by the Dec 15 deadline, but I finished the program on the 1st, and qualified for both grants available, totalling $5,000. 

I was also asked to lead the program's Artist's Mastermind Program for the next four months since I'm a "strong" entrepreneur and seen as someone who can help many of the people in the program once the official program has ended. I haven't exactly been feeling very optimistic or good about myself lately, so this was a big boost of confidence. 

If you want to see my new venture, here's a 4-minute video that shows what I'm doing - essentially, finding a way to make fine art photography a much bigger part of my photography practice. Between assignments drying up when Covid started and the uncertainties engendered by health issues, relying more on my fine art practice makes sense for me at this stage and so far I've sold seven images to hospitals in the past few months, despite only being able to work at it on a limited basis. Vertigo seems to be easing up significantly at last, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I got to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends which was wonderful, another good thing in my life. Anyway, if you have four minutes to spare, take a look - I may have shared this months ago, can't recall, but if nothing else, you should find the images in the video calming: 

Great presentation, Marianne. I love nature, so these images resonate.

• Thanks 1

So yesterday we travelled by train to York and attended a concert at the The National Centre for Early Music. It's the first time we had been to an orchestral concert since Covid began (mask and a negative test result required). York street markets were in full swing and the city was illuminated with Xmas lights, all a tad magical. Then there was the music, I'd almost forgotten what it's like to be transported by the sound, I guess that a chemical reaction occurs within your brain that moves you to another place. Absolutely brilliant playing by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment with virtuoso solos on cello, harpsichord and violin. Using public transport we got home late, but worth the suffering.

Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous, today we are playing Xmas carols on recorders and keyboard at Washington Old Hall. 

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

So yesterday we travelled by train to York and attended a concert at the The National Centre for Early Music. It's the first time we had been to an orchestral concert since Covid began (mask and a negative test result required). York street markets were in full swing and the city was illuminated with Xmas lights, all a tad magical. Then there was the music, I'd almost forgotten what it's like to be transported by the sound, I guess that a chemical reaction occurs within your brain that moves you to another place. Absolutely brilliant playing by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment with virtuoso solos on cello, harpsichord and violin. Using public transport we got home late, but worth the suffering.

Moving from the sublime to the ridiculous, today we are playing Xmas carols on recorders and keyboard at Washington Old Hall. 

That all sounds wonderful. On Tuesday I am going to a Christmas concert by the Voices of Ascension.... the first since Covid and my first performance attended since Covid. I have been a volunteer for Voices of Ascension for decades and decided to finally graduate myself to subscriber so I have a lovely seat for the entire series. They actually decided this year to hire professional front of staff so as to not expose us and make us check Covid vaccination cards, etc. So they offered us free seats for the Christmas concerts but I'm not sorry I bought my subscription. I'm sure they need the money. I'm quite excited. This is an example of a Christmas selection at the candlelit performance last year.. 

Paulette

• Love 3

My good thing this morning was to strip the bed and remake with fresh sheets etc. Then I vacuumed and dusted.

It may not look much different or seem to be a good thing but my conscience is clear which makes me happy.

Allan

• Love 1

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

My good thing this morning was to strip the bed and remake with fresh sheets etc. Then I vacuumed and dusted.

It may not look much different or seem to be a good thing but my conscience is clear which makes me happy.

Allan

I can completely relate to this good feeling!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NYCat said:

That all sounds wonderful. On Tuesday I am going to a Christmas concert by the Voices of Ascension.... the first since Covid and my first performance attended since Covid. I have been a volunteer for Voices of Ascension for decades and decided to finally graduate myself to subscriber so I have a lovely seat for the entire series. They actually decided this year to hire professional front of staff so as to not expose us and make us check Covid vaccination cards, etc. So they offered us free seats for the Christmas concerts but I'm not sorry I bought my subscription. I'm sure they need the money. I'm quite excited. This is an example of a Christmas selection at the candlelit performance last year.. 

Paulette

That’s lovely!

I’m up at dark thirty with my first cup of coffee. I’ll be going to a baby shower for the first expected boy in the family due Dec. 22, after 9 girls, 8 years and under. These 9 girls are spread 3 each through 3 families.

First I’ll be watching football, the shower is early afternoon.

41 minutes ago, aphperspective said:

Just finished putting up the Christmas tree unfortunately my 2 cats think I have just created 1 gigantic toy for them to climb and play in!😒

Christmas tree!  What's THAT.

Allan

• Alamy locked this topic