Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m scheduled for back surgery on January 13. There will be a three hour procedure doing several things, the main being the installation of two rods and screws from L1 to my tailbone. Hopefully, this will straighten my spine that has been collapsing to one side for the last 4 years, causing the crippling pain I’m experiencing.

If it gets me my life back, where I can walk a half block without feeling I can’t make it back to where I started, it is definitely good news.

I’m sure everybody’s thoughts will be with you on the day. It will a fantastic relief to get your life back again. Just don’t start carrying heavy camera shoulder bags.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m scheduled for back surgery on January 13. There will be a three hour procedure doing several things, the main being the installation of two rods and screws from L1 to my tailbone. Hopefully, this will straighten my spine that has been collapsing to one side for the last 4 years, causing the crippling pain I’m experiencing.

If it gets me my life back, where I can walk a half block without feeling I can’t make it back to where I started, it is definitely good news.

I hope this will be a gift to yourself that will keep on giving! Good that you are getting it done!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, NYCat said:

Yes, we are all rooting for you, Betty. My bet is that you let nothing stop you, tough lady.

Paulette

Thank you, Paulette, and for all the good wishes from everyone. I need all of the positivity I can get.
I’ve ordered a self-emptying Roomba to clean my floors, since I expect I won’t be able to vacuum and sweep for awhile. I’ll be curious to see how Echo (my African Grey parrot) gets on with it. It freaks out my sister’s cat, although these days she’s gotten used to it enough to suspiciously keep an eye on it from across the room, rather than hide under the bed.

Also good news…I’ve been without a leaf vac for a number of years. Not so funny thing is I have one tree in my back yard. It has small narrow leaves that don’t pile up, and won’t smother my lawn. Yet all the neighbors have huge oaks and maples, and I get their leaves.

Since moving to Wichita, I’ve paid for leaf cleanup several times. Yesterday, I bought a new leaf vac/blower. It only cost what I'd have to spend on hiring someone.  When the wind blows, and believe me, it blows a lot here, the leaves swirl and pile up several feet high in a couple of places. It’s like Mother Nature does the raking for me. So it’s fairly simple to suck them up, with the vac making them all nicely mulched, ready to bag. Wish I had a compost container.

The bad thing is I couldn’t figure out how all the parts went together, but my son-in-law sorted it for me. The thing is I could have done it, given time. But I hate doing it, absolutely makes me feel panicky.

My husband was a good one for bringing home these horrible puzzles designed by the devil. Wooden parts that slid this way or that way that you could fiddle with an hour trying to open “whatever”. (The magic door or have pieces come apart) Some of them had wire pieces. He’d hold out a new one to me and I’d give him the hex sign and run for the hills.

Yet I work crossword puzzles every day, and love Suduko. I like doing jigsaws. Just don’t give me something like Rubik’s Cube or anything like that.

Or leaf blower/vacs.

• Love 1

On 17/11/2021 at 04:32, Dave Richards said:

Nothing to fret about Edo, us seniors have more important things to occupy us. Good friends, food, coffee, beer, wine, malt whisky etc. etc. Talking of which I have a bottle of rather good tawny port to open.

That reminds me. I almost never drink. I do like a rare margarita. I’m a passionate college football fan, especially of “my team”. Last year I related to my son how, if the game isn’t going well, it caused my heart to frighteningly beat erratically, a problem I’ve had heart surgery for. He said, “Mom, go buy a bottle of wine, have a glass or two to relax you.”

I did that, and found it works like a charm. Yesterday, by game time, I knew this was going to be a tossup who won. When the kickoff happened, I fetched the small bottle of wine that only had one glass left in it plus about two more sips. This was the third game from that one bottle.

I finished it off. It worked. Eventually the buzz left me, the game got tenser, I could feel my chest beginning to feel odd. I jumped in the car wearing my headset about two minutes before halftime to make a wine run. After all, what could happen in two minutes? I was barely down the street when the yelling started on the radio.  One of our defensive guys knocked the football loose from the opposing quarterback, another defensive lineman from my team, NOT built for speed but mashing someone into the ground, scooped it up and rumbled 40 plus yards for a touchdown.

And I didn’t get to see it.

Wishing you all the best with your back surgery, Betty.

I had a hip replaced three years ago, as you might recall. It wasn't a lot of fun but well-worth the pain and inconvenience. I appreciated your helpful advice last year regarding cataract surgery, which has also worked out well. We're lucky that so much can be done to keep us older folks up and running. 👴

• Love 2

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I had a hip replaced three years ago, as you might recall. It wasn't a lot of fun but well-worth the pain and inconvenience. I appreciated your helpful advice last year regarding cataract surgery, which has also worked out well. We're lucky that so much can be done to keep us older folks up and running. 👴

Thanks, John. I don’t know about the running part. If I can stagger 10 times farther than I can now, I’ll be happy. 😁 But yes, I get what you meant. I definitely remember your hip surgery, and my advice to save up some images ahead of time to dribble out in uploads each week. I was still motivated back then! I doubt I will bother with doing that, now. Maybe….

13 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, John. I don’t know about the running part. If I can stagger 10 times farther than I can now, I’ll be happy. 😁 But yes, I get what you meant. I definitely remember your hip surgery, and my advice to save up some images ahead of time to dribble out in uploads each week. I was still motivated back then! I doubt I will bother with doing that, now. Maybe….

Yes, I did follow your advice re the image-drip. Not sure how much I'd be too motivated these days either. I pass on running now, but it's reassuring to know that I can move fairly quickly if I have to, although I run a bit like a three-legged kangaroo. I don't envy those football players you mentioned. I've known two people who played professional football in Canada. One died at an early age (37), and the other could barely walk by the time he reached his early 50's. Really glad I've always been a total wimp when it comes to getting mashed and pounded all for the sake of chasing a ball. But à chacun son goût, as the French say. 🥐🏈

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I had my left hip replaced back in 2015, all down to a fractured pelvis back in the 1970's. The right one is fine. Getting into and out of bed, and into the passenger seat of a car were painful for the first week. Lots of walking each day worked wonders. I'd recently bought a Nikon D7100, and I took it out on walks even while I still used crutches, but was easier to use when on only one crutch. Felt marvellous 6-8 weeks after the op, as if reborn.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

I had my left hip replaced back in 2015, all down to a fractured pelvis back in the 1970's. The right one is fine. Getting into and out of bed, and into the passenger seat of a car were painful for the first week. Lots of walking each day worked wonders. I'd recently bought a Nikon D7100, and I took it out on walks even while I still used crutches, but was easier to use when on only one crutch. Felt marvellous 6-8 weeks after the op, as if reborn.

That’s wonderful. I’m a little worried about my right hip, because being crooked for 4 years has put a bad strain on other joints and body parts. I’ve been feeling pain in my hip recently. I hope it is referred pain from my back and not the hip going bad.

It sounds like you went after doing your rehab in the right way. I’m surprised about the crutches, though. Most people I’ve spoken to say using crutches hurt the armpits something terrible!

I’ve been seeing people walk for exercise past my window, 3/4 of them walking dogs, and envy them the ability to do so. I did a lot of walking just 4 1/2 years ago. My world has shrunk. I did 2 bouts of physical therapy and home exercises. The first round helped, the second didn’t. Then the home exercises became too painful and my physical therapist said don’t do them if they hurt, I could do more damage.

I do plan on making 2 pumpkin pies for my contribution to our family Thanksgiving dinner, and a banana split salad. Maybe a coconut cake if I last that long.

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s wonderful. I’m a little worried about my right hip, because being crooked for 4 years has put a bad strain on other joints and body parts. I’ve been feeling pain in my hip recently. I hope it is referred pain from my back and not the hip going bad.

It sounds like you went after doing your rehab in the right way. I’m surprised about the crutches, though. Most people I’ve spoken to say using crutches hurt the armpits something terrible!

Referred pain is quite common. Until an x-ray, due to the pain I wrongly thought I had a dodgy knee when it was the hip.

The NHS in the UK issue aluminium crutches that only come up to the forearm. I haven't seen the longer under arm crutches for a long time. I had them in 1974 after the RTA that fractured my pelvis. I was in my 20's then and and had no issues with them. 

• Love 1

I'm just back from 4 days of bliss in the Bush by a remote salt lake in Western Australia. No comms of course. So wild that when a dark red moon rose, we wondered if there had been an atomic apocalypse somewhere. We wouldn't have known.

Our first visit to Lake Ballard on a previous 'Big Lap' had been an amazing experience: we had been on our own, the only campers there. In front of us lay a stupendous salt lake peppered with quirky statues, Antony Gormley's artwork. An incongruous cone island rose in the middle.

By evening, the sky had turned black, high winds had risen. We hurriedly rolled in the awning. Torrential rain produced rivulets soon crawling towards us from the red sand dunes. Lightning tore the dark sky. When the storm had drifted a little further, I set up my tripod in the darkness and captured the lightning forks in the distance. Unexpectedly, clouds opened up and the moon shone through as bright as in daylight. What a show of nature! 

Well, we made it back. Once again, we were treated to a plethora of atmospheric displays: rainbow, pastel sunrise, fiery sunset, rain clouds, blazing sun, red moonrise. Simply jaw dropping.

See pix in the November Favourite uploads thread.
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, cbimages said:

Betty, I never read this thread, but for some reason today felt that I should. I wish you every success for your operation and hope you recover asap. Look after yourself as best you are able.

Thanks, Carol and Bryan. I’m good with looking after myself. I’m rather independent, and tend to chaff at others doing for me with my personal needs.  I’m the 2-year-old-child…”No, I do it!”

I expect there might be a battle of wills with my two daughters.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Thanks, Carol and Bryan. I’m good with looking after myself. I’m rather independent, and tend to chaff at others doing for me with my personal needs.  I’m the 2-year-old-child…”No, I do it!”

I expect there might be a battle of wills with my two daughters.

All the best for a successful outcome to your op.

Allan

Was driving home last night, and very close to home a small fox ran into the road, and almost lead the way to my house. I often see foxes at night near to home. A few years back a fox family would sunbathe at the bottom of the garden. It’s most likely food we put out at night that our fussy cat leaves ends up as fox food. It’s wonderful seeing them surviving in an urban environment.

I have thought about putting my trail cam near the food bowl, but am not sure how long the battery would last, and I gather it’s going to be even colder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sb photos said:

Was driving home last night, and very close to home a small fox ran into the road, and almost lead the way to my house. I often see foxes at night near to home. A few years back a fox family would sunbathe at the bottom of the garden. It’s most likely food we put out at night that our fussy cat leaves ends up as fox food. It’s wonderful seeing them surviving in an urban environment.

I have thought about putting my trail cam near the food bowl, but am not sure how long the battery would last, and I gather it’s going to be even colder.

Connect it up to your car battery.

On second thoughts you may need the car next day.

Allan

Back from The Pilgrim Hospital in Boston Lincs.  

Spent best part of an hour on my back in the vascular department have goo spread on my legs and three technician nurses taking blood pressures, tickling my feet, tracing veins/arteries etc and squeezing my legs.  Quite pleasant really.

Very pleasant and polite staff explaining what was going on and kept asking if I was alright.

The technical bit:- US ankle and brachial pressure index plus US Doppler vein mapping of legs.

Still nice to be home again.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Spent best part of an hour on my back in the vascular department have goo spread on my legs and three technician nurses taking blood pressures, tickling my feet, tracing veins/arteries etc and squeezing my legs.  Quite pleasant really.

Very pleasant and polite staff explaining what was going on and kept asking if I was alright.

The technical bit:- US ankle and brachial pressure index plus US Doppler vein mapping of legs.

Allan

I had to have all that done a couple of years ago, before they started with the six MRI scans I've had since to find out why my walking gait has changed. The vascular result for my legs was normal. Hope yours has turned out OK.

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Take care! 😀

• Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans on the forum. Roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed, and pumpkin pie. I've not had a bite of any of that in years. 

Classical FM is playing all American compositions tonight. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 2