Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

Just finished putting up the Christmas tree unfortunately my 2 cats think I have just created 1 gigantic toy for them to climb and play in!😒

Well of course all the little hanging goodies are cat toys. What else would they be? I finally bought only Mexican tin ornaments (very colorful and pretty) and wooden ones when I had a cat that was very devoted to the tree. He also would bite the lights so no lights after that and when he got tangled in a garland I gave them up. My current cat is too lazy to bother the tree but I think I will do a tabletop one on a little table this year.

Paulette

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Well of course all the little hanging goodies are cat toys. What else would they be? I finally bought only Mexican tin ornaments (very colorful and pretty) and wooden ones when I had a cat that was very devoted to the tree. He also would bite the lights so no lights after that and when he got tangled in a garland I gave them up. My current cat is too lazy to bother the tree but I think I will do a tabletop one on a little table this year.

Paulette

My last cat was a Siamese he used to watch me finish the tree the launch himself straight into the middle of it then run of mission accomplished!!!.

As reported above we played carols at Washington Old Hall today, and had intended to take alternative slots with the A team duo - they sing, play guitar, bodhran, violin and recorders.

However they encouraged us to play our stuff while they improvised accompaniments , all they need to know is the key - I'm at best a journeyman amateur musician, but these two have real talent.  A privilege and pleasure  to play alongside them - we also got to dance a bit, and it's a long while since I've done that.  Great day !

Edited by Bryan

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

As reported above we played carols at Washington Old Hall today, and had intended to take alternative slots with the A team duo - they sing, play guitar, bodhran, violin and recorders.

However they encouraged us to play our stuff while they improvised accompaniments , all they need to know is the key - I'm at best a journeyman amateur musician, but these two have real talent.  A privilege and pleasure  to play alongside them - we also got to dance a bit, and it's a long while since I've done that.  Great day !

That sounds wonderful, Bryan. Especially the dancing bit. I always loved to move to the music.

• Love 1

On 04/12/2021 at 11:44, NYCat said:

That all sounds wonderful. On Tuesday I am going to a Christmas concert by the Voices of Ascension.... the first since Covid and my first performance attended since Covid. I have been a volunteer for Voices of Ascension for decades and decided to finally graduate myself to subscriber so I have a lovely seat for the entire series. They actually decided this year to hire professional front of staff so as to not expose us and make us check Covid vaccination cards, etc. So they offered us free seats for the Christmas concerts but I'm not sorry I bought my subscription. I'm sure they need the money. I'm quite excited. This is an example of a Christmas selection at the candlelit performance last year.. 

Loved the singing, enjoy your Tuesday concert !

Tomorrow, a service will clean my windows. At our old place in Oklahoma, we had a slab floor and the windows were easily accessible from the ground outside…at the most, using a stool to reach the upper panes. Here, with a foundation, the windows call for a ladder. Probably about half of the time, my husband cleaned the windows or we did it together. It’s just me, now.

Last year I tried to clean them by hauling a heavy ladder around but that hurt me. In the fall, I called the service and in an hour or two, my windows sparkled. There are 11 windows just in the bird room, and around 17 more for the rest of the house.

I’ve spoken with a few people who have had the kind of back surgery I’m having. They report the post-op pain is incredible, and lasts for a week or two. I’m not looking forward to that because I hate taking painkillers. I don’t like anything that makes my brain fuzzy, but I’m told that’s the only way I’ll be able to bear it. One woman told me she just begged the nurse to hit her in the head with a hammer and knock her out.

She’s 8 weeks post op and like a new woman, though. All the old pain is gone. So I’ll just pull up my boot straps and endure for the greater good. I’m asking questions because I do much better if I have the knowledge of what I’m facing. Forewarned is forearmed. So if you don’t hear from me for awhile the last half of January, you’ll know why. Or if you do hear from me, I won’t be making sense! 😃

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Tomorrow, a service will clean my windows. At our old place in Oklahoma, we had a slab floor and the windows were easily accessible from the ground outside…at the most, using a stool to reach the upper panes. Here, with a foundation, the windows call for a ladder. Probably about half of the time, my husband cleaned the windows or we did it together. It’s just me, now.

Last year I tried to clean them by hauling a heavy ladder around but that hurt me. In the fall, I called the service and in an hour or two, my windows sparkled. There are 11 windows just in the bird room, and around 17 more for the rest of the house.

I’ve spoken with a few people who have had the kind of back surgery I’m having. They report the post-op pain is incredible, and lasts for a week or two. I’m not looking forward to that because I hate taking painkillers. I don’t like anything that makes my brain fuzzy, but I’m told that’s the only way I’ll be able to bear it. One woman told me she just begged the nurse to hit her in the head with a hammer and knock her out.

She’s 8 weeks post op and like a new woman, though. All the old pain is gone. So I’ll just pull up my boot straps and endure for the greater good. I’m asking questions because I do much better if I have the knowledge of what I’m facing. Forewarned is forearmed. So if you don’t hear from me for awhile the last half of January, you’ll know why. Or if you do hear from me, I won’t be making sense! 😃

Sorry you are going to have to go through a lot of pain. It will be great when you come out the other side of it though. We will be routing for you.

Allan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry you are going to have to go through a lot of pain. It will be great when you come out the other side of it though. We will be routing for you.

Allan

Thank you. I’m looking forward to being a spring chicken!  how funny is that. That ship has sailed

Edited by Betty LaRue

18 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Some years ago I bought a lightweight telescopic pole with simple cleaning attachments, a mop and a squeegee. It's long enough to clean the first floor windows without any real difficulty or effort.  Prior to that I would climb a ladder to do the job.  Now, most, but not all,  of our windows have a mechanism that allows them to be cleaned from the inside, they shunt along and pivot exposing the outer face, making cleaning much easier. I can't remember the last time that we employed a window cleaner. 

15 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Some years ago I bought a lightweight telescopic pole with simple cleaning attachments, a mop and a squeegee. It's long enough to clean the first floor windows without any real difficulty or effort.  Prior to that I would climb a ladder to do the job.  Now, most, but not all,  of our windows have a mechanism that allows them to be cleaned from the inside, they shunt along and pivot exposing the outer face, making cleaning much easier. I can't remember the last time that we employed a window cleaner. 

Your cleaning pole reminds me of a time I was photographing a charity soapy slide down Bristols Park Street some years back. A photographer had a long black pole to give his camera considerable height. I grabbed a shot of a label on it as I thought it could be useful. Research told me it was a sturdy pole used to clean high windows, water was pumped up through it, and it was pricy. I manage with one of 2 monopods to gain height.

5 hours ago, Bryan said:

You lucky man. I wish I could afford to have those kind of windows installed. I have seen them advertised for years. I really do need new windows. I have had a couple of them rebuilt. They are the original wooden windows from when the house was built in the mid-1980s, so there is some rot happening. It would take thousands to replace 29 windows. Oops…32.  I forgot the three in the basement wells.

15 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You lucky man. I wish I could afford to have those kind of windows installed. I have seen them advertised for years. I really do need new windows. I have had a couple of them rebuilt. They are the original wooden windows from when the house was built in the mid-1980s, so there is some rot happening. It would take thousands to replace 29 windows. Oops…32.  I forgot the three in the basement wells.

You have windows in WELLs...    You got WELLs.  Your own water supply. Lucky you.

Allan

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

You have windows in WELLs...    You got WELLs.  Your own water supply. Lucky you.

Allan

Here in the U.S. a lot of homes have basements and sometimes the windows in the basement are below grade (a little below ground) and so a "window well" is dug out to allow light into the basement.  You can see them here

I have the kind of windows that shift, allowing cleaning from the inside, too. However, when I added inside shutters, which I love, it made it impossible to rotate the windows in without uninstalling the shutters. 

A good thing that happened to me was my dentist was able to repair a front tooth I recently chipped. It was also a good day for my dentist who earned a nice little fee. 😐

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Here in the U.S. a lot of homes have basements and sometimes the windows in the basement are below grade (a little below ground) and so a "window well" is dug out to allow light into the basement.  You can see them here

I was just having a bit of fun with Betty to keep her mind off things to come.

We have them in the UK as well.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

The nice thing about the window wells, Allan, is the windows wash themselves. All that water, you know. 😉

As far as the basement goes, I have a fully furnished living area with a large screen TV down there, plus a bedroom, bathroom and large storage area. The window wells are necessary not just for light, but in case of fire, one can escape through the windows.

When it storms and threatens tornadoes, I can go down there for safety and be comfortable. That’s also where I have my inversion table and another table where I cut my watercolor paper. That’s where I hang my artwork.

When company stays, it’s a nice place for them with bedroom, bath and comfortable couches and a TV if needed.

As far as wells go, I do have a well. My house is city water, but my lawn sprinkler system has its own well so the water cost me only for the electricity to disperse it from the sprinkler heads.

It's more house than I need now that I am one, but I don’t have another move in me. And I do enjoy having room for guests.

Picked up grandson and granddaughter for weekend stay. Granddaughter (7) decorated our Xmas tree, while grandson (13) played video games ........

Had a new fridge freezer delivered and I successfully reversed the doors.  Fortunately I have a set of Torx keys (star tips), as otherwise I would not have been able to do it.  The delivery driver patiently explained the procedure in detail and warned that you had to leave the appliance in vertical mode for hours before switching on the power.  I think that you've got to let the working fluid drain down so the mechanism doesn't operate dry. It appears to be working OK.

The previous F/F failed in less than 5 years, we've bought a different brand and a 5 year guarantee.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, Bryan said:

The previous F/F failed in less than 5 years,

If you replaced it you probably don't know if it was just the thermostat. Ours has been through 3 or 4 in 30 years and has to be repaired, because it's a built-in and white goods are now about 1" wider than they were in 1991 (I checked everywhere- we had to get a mini tumble dryer because new full-size ones wouldn't fit in the space. Fridges and freezers are the same).

Still, £5 off ebay is a better price point than £400 or whatever....but we do have a spare mini-freezer, so we can wait for parts to arrive.

Edited by spacecadet

• Alamy locked this topic