Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

43 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Presumably you've bled the radiators, but noise could be kettling from limescale on the heat exchanger you can hear it right inside the boiler. I treated ours when it was about 12 years old after doing a radiator flush- you put the flusher across the boiler (usually by removing the pump) and use a descaling agent. It's still fine after 8 or 9 years.

A bad thermostatic valve can also make an individual radiator noisy, or it may just need another flush. Flush first, then drain down to replace the valve. Been there, done that, putting off one.

It sounds like the ignition system is trying to fire up the boiler when it already running, an occasional roaring sound. It's definitely coming from the boiler. 

I installed a complete solid fuel fired CH system in our first house, using a Trianco boiler,  but I'm getting to be too long in the tooth for major works these days. 😒

Condensing gas boilers are quite complex, with various safety cut outs and an electronic control system.  I find that the average CH engineer cannot, or won't,  effectively diagnose the problems, their solution is typically fit a new circuit board or even a new boiler. On the last occasion we had bother only one fitter out of 4 correctly assessed that it was a sensor at fault. Part of the problem is that most of them only ever encounter combi boilers, whereas we have an indirect system.

17 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I have to say that there seems to be nothing on the "Which?" boiler service checklist that isn't a DIY possibility if you have the manual, installation guide, and a healthy respect for 230V.

But then we do have a non-condensing unpressurised system.

You are correct, however gas appliances must be dealt with by qualified Gas Safe engineers. To do so without that qualification is illegal in the UK and if anything goes wrong an offender could face a custodial sentence.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It sounds like the ignition system is trying to fire up the boiler when it already running, an occasional roaring sound. It's definitely coming from the boiler. 

I installed a complete solid fuel fired CH system in our first house, using a Trianco boiler,  but I'm getting to be too long in the tooth for major works these days. 😒

Condensing gas boilers are quite complex, with various safety cut outs and an electronic control system.  I find that the average CH engineer cannot, or won't,  effectively diagnose the problems, their solution is typically fit a new circuit board or even a new boiler. On the last occasion we had bother only one fitter out of 4 correctly assessed that it was a sensor at fault. Part of the problem is that most of them only ever encounter combi boilers, whereas we have an indirect system.

My system is still non pressurised indirect with Honeywell S Plan control system. Wouldn't have  a combi for love or money.

28 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gee, I wish I was handy. I'm just getting the knack of using a door knob.

Nothing to fret about Edo, us seniors have more important things to occupy us. Good friends, food, coffee, beer, wine, malt whisky etc. etc. Talking of which I have a bottle of rather good tawny port to open.

Edited by Dave Richards

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

gas appliances must be dealt with by qualified Gas Safe engineers.

As I interpret the regulations that only refers to the gas supply- so I can't and don't deal with the gas valve. But neither does a boiler service.

If the diagnostic light tells me something is wrong with the supply, that's a job for the gasman. But it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by spacecadet

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Nothing to fret about Edo, us seniors have more important things to occupy us. Good friends, food, coffee, beer, wine, malt whisky etc. etc. Talking of which I have a bottle of rather good tawny port to open.

Dave, are you another wandering Americano

37 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

had to check that they were what i call a Bialetti, from the original maker.  totally agree.  As a nomad, i often carried a single size one in the backpack 

Mine is a lexan or polycarbonate coffee press. You do have to find a water cooker or a kettle. When camping I carry a lightweight kettle (but lighter and cheaper than this one from Amazon) and a tiny gas stove.

At home it's a 10+ year old Bosch Benvenuto Venezia.

I had to look up all the other appliances. Very enlightening. Counter space is fairly limited here as well certainly because of the Bosch. And a small microwave.

Will investigate the Instant Pot. Still unsure about the airfryer.

wim

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Dave, are you another wandering Americano

No, as English as they come, but I believe there may be a bit of Welsh heritage somewhere in the past. I haven't checked anything out on a family tree.

I enjoy reading your posts when you talk about your past experiences. Mine are unexciting by comparison.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

As I interpret the regulations that only refers to the gas supply- so I can't and don't deal with the gas valve. But neither does a boiler service.

If the diagnostic light tells me something is wrong with the supply, that's a job for the gasman. But it hasn't happened yet.

Good luck with that then. Just be sure!!

The gas valve is something that is essentially checked during a service. They do fail. My old boiler was shut down because the gas valve was letting by and a small burn continued. If that had gone out it would have become a gas leak with hazardous consequences. Inexperienced people could miss things like that.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

7 hours ago, Gnans said:

Bryan - Have you heard about Instant Pot? That could possibly combine your Steamer and Slow cooker into one machine.

Incase you have not heard before there is a new local neighborhood app "Nextdoor" where your neighbors could recommend other local heating engineers. A little reliable than the raving reviews of a popular trade checker website.

I have found many of my tradesmen on the Nextdoor app. The people who contribute opinions also tell who to steer clear of. Roofers, plumbers, electricians, yard workers, housekeepers, and what’s neat, if you are looking for and not finding a certain item, they often can tell you what business they’ve seen it for sale.

46 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have found many of my tradesmen on the Nextdoor app. The people who contribute opinions also tell who to steer clear of. Roofers, plumbers, electricians, yard workers, housekeepers, and what’s neat, if you are looking for and not finding a certain item, they often can tell you what business they’ve seen it for sale.

I use the Nextdoor app as well.  I posted a "help wanted" yesterday for a part time assistant, since my son took a part time job in the field for which he is being trained, in college.  I got two responses right away!  The only thing I hate about Nextdoor is all the frivolous whining that people do about their neighbors...about dogs, trash, car parking, noise etc...  

11 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I use the Nextdoor app as well.  I posted a "help wanted" yesterday for a part time assistant, since my son took a part time job in the field for which he is being trained, in college.  I got two responses right away!  The only thing I hate about Nextdoor is all the frivolous whining that people do about their neighbors...about dogs, trash, car parking, noise etc...  

I agree about the whining, Michael. There is always someone who wants to convince you that white is black and you’re stupid for thinking it’s white.

It is helpful to warn when crime is in the area. Especially very shady characters going door to door trying to scam people.

I have a rule. Never do business with anyone who knocks on my door, unless it’s a kid raising money for their group.  If I observe a stranger at my door, I just don’t respond. I figure it’s someone wanting to tell me, “I’ve tried to contact you, your automobile warranty has expired.” 😂

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I did sign up to the Nextdoor app and unsubscribed within 24 hours. I share your opinion regarding the inconsequential whining. The drivel drove me nuts, couldn't get away soon enough.

Edited by Dave Richards
corrected text.
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Mine is a lexan or polycarbonate coffee press. You do have to find a water cooker or a kettle. When camping I carry a lightweight kettle (but lighter and cheaper than this one from Amazon) and a tiny gas stove.

I had to look up all the other appliances. Very enlightening. Counter space is fairly limited here as well certainly because of the Bosch. And a small microwave.

wim

i used to have a great Lexan coffee press, and it was stolen in a NZ Hostel, couldn't find another one, and glass is not practical in a backpack, so this is when i moved to the Moka pots.  

14 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Yes Wim, I should have added the microwave, it does eat into kitchen space but is  useful for defrosting or reheating food. If push came to shove we could possibly do without, so moving it into the luxury category. Ours is an ancient Panasonic, which we almost lost a couple of years ago when the door catch failed, but we unearthed a local tradesman who was able to source and fit a replacement. From memory he only charged £25.  Once upon a time I used to make my winter porridge in it, but now I prefer to use a stove top pan.

We'll be in the porridge season shortly, but while the garden is still providing raspberries I'll stick with morning muesli.

Edited by Bryan

In anticipation of my possible (probable) back surgery, I found a new robe, regularly priced at $60. On sale for $45, then another $10 off with coupon. Nice soft shade of pink. I might be spending a lot of time in it for awhile.

I attended my local surgery this morning for my regular yearly check up. Have to undergo this as I am a long term user of blood pressure tablets.

First she took my blood pressure, then she took my blood, and then she took the piss!!!!😉

Allan

I’m scheduled for back surgery on January 13. There will be a three hour procedure doing several things, the main being the installation of two rods and screws from L1 to my tailbone. Hopefully, this will straighten my spine that has been collapsing to one side for the last 4 years, causing the crippling pain I’m experiencing.

If it gets me my life back, where I can walk a half block without feeling I can’t make it back to where I started, it is definitely good news.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m scheduled for back surgery on January 13. There will be a three hour procedure doing several things, the main being the installation of two rods and screws from L1 to my tailbone. Hopefully, this will straighten my spine that has been collapsing to one side for the last 4 years, causing the crippling pain I’m experiencing.

If it gets me my life back, where I can walk a half block without feeling I can’t make it back to where I started, it is definitely good news.

January 13th is my birthday. Guess there’s maybe two good things to look forward to. Best wishes for the best outcome from your op Betty.

• Love 1

Currently meeting up with my daughter and grandson in Burford. Lovely light but cold. Talking about light, was in Oxford yesterday afternoon. The days of shooting at iso 200 or 400 are over now, was shooting yesterday at iso 800 and then 1600. If I had stayed longer it would have been 3200. 

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic