Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

44 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I got my brand new Roomba, a little round vacuum that travels around the floor on its own and cleans, going this morning. I have been interested in one for awhile, but a recent Black Friday sale with $200 off pushed me over. Vacuuming and sweeping is one of the more painful things to do when one has a bad back. Since I’m going to be laid up for awhile after my surgery, it should come in handy. I let it go in Echo’s room today, and it cleaned up the feathers and bits she tosses from her cage very well. 

Echo kept a suspicious eye on it for 5 or 10 minutes. Birds turn one eyeball toward something they really want to keenly watch, so I stood watching her and giggling for a bit as she pointed left eye/right eye.  When I told her “It’s OK”, the safety phrase, she trusts that implicitly, so went about preening her feathers and ignored it.

The Roomba is cool. It takes itself back to the dock and empties itself when needed, and also when needing a recharge. My floors are spotless.

I want one! I may have to put it on my Christmas list for myself.  I tend to give myself the best gifts around this time of year. 😀

• Love 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

I want one! I may have to put it on my Christmas list for myself.  I tend to give myself the best gifts around this time of year. 😀

I got the Roomba i3 that empties itself, but if you can afford it or get a good deal, the i6 or is it i7?? Might be even better. Although I sure couldn’t see anything wrong with the way mine cleaned today. It normally was $600 and I got it for $400. I got mine from Walmart, but Kohl’s, Amazon and other places have been having deals also.

I do the same thing, Michael. I got my air fryer and Roomba for myself since I no longer can hint to a spouse. These sales are a good time to do it.

Sounds like a good deal, Betty!

Two things I’ve learned about buying Roombas: 1) the more expensive models perform much better than the cheaper versions, and 2) the rollers and filters must be cleaned thoroughly quite often, especially if you have pets. My last two versions have been the kind that handle pet hair cleanup and they’ve worked well. Most of my flooring is wood and tile, with only a few area rugs. My roombas haven't always worked as well on carpet. 

I need something that will dust for me. It's the job I keep putting off. Too many tchotchkes. I did acquire them because I like them but don't like moving them to get at surfaces. One is actually a lens hood that was stepped on by the elephant I was on (hood fell off) so it counts as a happy/unhappy memory.

Paulette

Roomba empties itself in the middle of the floor and says, "There you are it's all yours now."🤪

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

11 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Sounds like a good deal, Betty!

Two things I’ve learned about buying Roombas: 1) the more expensive models perform much better than the cheaper versions, and 2) the rollers and filters must be cleaned thoroughly quite often, especially if you have pets. My last two versions have been the kind that handle pet hair cleanup and they’ve worked well. Most of my flooring is wood and tile, with only a few area rugs. My roombas haven't always worked as well on carpet. 

I have the more modern area rugs that are very pretty, but low pile. One is a 12x15, the other 8x10, over hardwood floors. Tile in bathrooms, kitchen and laundry. The Roomba did very well on these surfaces. If I had the thicker wall to wall carpet I used to have, I could see the need to use the upright periodically to clean deeper, for sure.

What I would love is one that worked like a slinky, cleaning my stairs! 😃

My daughter just bought the i6, and has wall to wall thicker carpet in her basement. She had family staying down there for 4 months, 4 people with long hair. She ran the Roomba, and it stopped because of all the hair wrapped around the roller.

I don’t have any pets but my parrot, so the Roomba handled the feathers well.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

The place still needs apologising for, then;)

Well the hospital seems to be OK, at least the bit I saw was. The nurses were nice and polite. Did not get to the centre but what it really needs is a ring road to take all the through traffic away from the town altogether.

Allan

31 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

what it really needs is a ring road

It's had an inner relief road for 40 years, not that you'd notice. And who really wants to get to Spalding or Skegness any quicker? Although I do agree it would mean spending less time in Boston. Can't be a bad idea. Anyway people tend to want to get to it (can't think why) not through  it.

Problem with the Pilgrim was that they took a huge site then built an 8-storey hospital in one corner of it instead of spreading it out. As built the lifts were famously too small to take a hospital bed.

Boston has some wonderful historical fabric utterly unappreciated by its fat xenophobic population- there's never even been an official building survey.

For some reason I went back after film school but I saw the error of my ways- I haven't lived there for 34 years.

Edited by spacecadet

16 hours ago, spacecadet said:

It's had an inner relief road for 40 years, not that you'd notice. And who really wants to get to Spalding or Skegness any quicker? Although I do agree it would mean spending less time in Boston. Can't be a bad idea. Anyway people tend to want to get to it (can't think why) not through  it.

Problem with the Pilgrim was that they took a huge site then built an 8-storey hospital in one corner of it instead of spreading it out. As built the lifts were famously too small to take a hospital bed.

Boston has some wonderful historical fabric utterly unappreciated by its fat xenophobic population- there's never even been an official building survey.

For some reason I went back after film school but I saw the error of my ways- I haven't lived there for 34 years.

When I got there 8.30am ish the inner relief road was packed with traffic queuing down all roads trying to get on. A lot of the traffic were trucks. Oh! And the guy in front of me at some cross road traffic lights stopped when the repeater light on the exit road turned red and waited till it turned green again before moving off, holding up traffic unnecessarily.

Allan

During the end-of-the-month surge I passed 2020's figures for both sales and revenue. Small signs for optimism, perhaps?

And I've just noticed that I've passed another milestone: my 2,000th all-time pic sale. All three on the same day!  😎

Edited by John Morrison
  • Love 2
  • Like 3

Roomba? I thought that was a dance? Maybe Echo thought so too and was watching to learn the steps. Me, I like to do mosts things the old fashion way. I enjoy washing dishes by hand, although someone told me there a machine to do that now. I laughed and heaped score on the teller. 

7 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Roomba? I thought that was a dance?

I think the state of our floors would fry its little brain.

My Gran always used to tidy up before the cleaner came round. Perhaps that's the idea. It might find the missing ball bearing off the Steenbeck though. That would save me, oh, at least 15p. I had to buy 10.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Roomba? I thought that was a dance? Maybe Echo thought so too and was watching to learn the steps. Me, I like to do mosts things the old fashion way. I enjoy washing dishes by hand, although someone told me there a machine to do that now. I laughed and heaped score on the teller. 

Not a parrot and not a rumba either but there are lots with parrots; not sure about rumbas.

(our's is a Deebot now. The machine - not the bird - not the dance.)

wim

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Not a parrot and not a rumba either but there are lots with parrots; not sure about rumbas.

(our's is a Deebot now. The machine - not the bird - not the dance.)

wim

What fun! Maybe Echo will start taking rides.

Paulette

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Obviously, your spine is in better shape than mine, Edo. 
Echo is a fairly laid-back bird, and very seldom gets frightened. When she does, I pick her up, cuddle her, tell her “It’s ok” and she believes me.

She escaped many years ago when I had her on the patio, thinking she couldn’t fly because of the wing clip. (That had grown out) The last we saw her, wild birds were chasing her in the dusk because they thought she was a predator hawk. We hunted for her until the wee dark a.m. hours.  She must’ve spent a frightening night in a tree. Bob found her at dawn the next morning. She lunged for my shoulder and plastered herself against my face for the day, soothing herself by softly muttering, “it’s ok”. I fed her from my hand while she was still on my shoulder. It was evening before she felt safe enough for me to put her in her cage.

Edited by Betty LaRue

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

It can do a dance. (Our first one once did.) It's like the tarantella though. Meaning not all is well with you. In the case of the vacuum bot it's dirty sensors. In the case of the tarantella it's the bite of a Wolf Spider. Which over time has given us fantastic music. (Marco BeasleyVincenzo Capezzuto). It seems spiders not always play a roll any more. (wiki)

wim

Edited by wiskerke
typo

Had our first Xmas dinner last night, with a group of Sustrans volunteers at a local Italian restaurant. Lovely food, but far from  traditional fare. My main course consisted of pan fried sea bass, cod and salmon with pasta and a creamy pesto sauce. I'll be trying that recipe at home. 

We've been having these annual dinners for years now, although, unlike No. 10's event,  last year was cancelled due to Covid. We did take a lateral flow test before attending.

Last year we spent Xmas home alone, but this year we are hoping to have the family stay - fingers crossed.......

Edited by Bryan
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Had our first Xmas dinner last night, with a group of Sustrans volunteers at a local Italian restaurant. Lovely food, but far from  traditional fare. My main course consisted of pan fried sea bass, cod and salmon with pasta and a creamy pesto sauce. I'll be trying that recipe at home. 

We've been having these annual dinners for years now, although, unlike No. 10's event,  last year was cancelled due to Covid. We did take a lateral flow test before attending.

Last year we spent Xmas home alone, but this year we are hoping to have the family stay - fingers crossed.......

Just make sure you follow government guidance because it is clear that they really know what they are talking about and that the scientific experts know nothing. In particular make sure to follow Thérèse Coffey's advice that it is best to avoid snogging under the mistletoe at least not with people you don’t already know. No doubt she is an expert on snogging under the mistletoe. Bojo is basically saying just keep going with your parties and nativity plays. Yippee.

Meanwhile back in reality, there is serious doubt being expressed by those who know what they are talking about in relation to the effectiveness of vaccines against the Omicron variant and, if that is the case, then little has changed since last year. We are no longer an effectively immune population. I will be proceeding with great caution when I snog strangers under the mistletoe and the like myself. Given my luck to date with the nasty little virus I won't be surprised if I end up in the ring for round 3 and who knows how that is going to end?

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Today was my birthday (Dec. 2) and I had a wonderful day. My two daughters took me to lunch and guess what, delicious fish and chips for all three of us. Then we did some Christmas shopping for the little ones in the family. We took a break at a restaurant because we were parched for water and I, a soft drink. While sitting there, somehow I had my daughters in stitches. Apparently I’m very funny even when not trying to be. We ended up holding our sides and wiping tears. There is absolutely nothing so relaxing as a good belly laugh. All those good endorphins.

The most miraculous thing is I had a whole day with no pain. None. It’s like God said, “Here’s your birthday present…I’m taking your pain away today.” I have no memory of the last time I had that. I would never have been able to shop otherwise.

• Love 3

Good to hear you enjoyed your birthday Betty !!

Back to to realities of life here with Covid. We normally walk or cycle, but due to the icy  conditions, yesterday we took the bus to do some food shopping and I was pleased to see that most people were wearing masks, both on the buses and in the shops. It is a legal requirement to wear  a  mask on public transport and the driver was giving out free masks for those without. Despite this, a small minority of mainly younger adults did not comply. I find this attitude difficult to understand.

Edited by Bryan