Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose coloured specs, but there was once a time when you could buy decent British made kit that would do the job and continue to do so for a reasonable period. Due to various disappointments with household goods  I now realise that our car, fridge freezer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, and lawn mower are all manufactured by German owned companies. I worked in medium/heavy engineering at a time when the government of the day decided that the future lay with financial rather than manufacturing companies, and things have gone down hill since. 

Rant over.

Bryan, not sure if thats a rant, more a reflection on the recent past.  Typing the phrase recent past prompted me to pick up my copy of "The Recent Past", the latest collection of Ravilious's pictures.  This sample of quintessential English photography was of course printed abroad, in Italy. Printed well of course.

🦔

Edited by Mr Standfast
typo

Our glass oven door had shattered and spread itself in 1000s of  bits across the kitchen.  We had the grandchildren with us, but, fortunately, no-one was in there at that time. 

It's toughened glass, shouldn't be too hazardous. But no bare feet in the kitchen till you've been over it (a damp kitchen roll, if you haven't done it already).

Our glass oven door had shattered and spread itself in 1000s of  bits across the kitchen.  We had the grandchildren with us, but, fortunately, no-one was in there at that time. 

It's toughened glass, shouldn't be too hazardous. But no bare feet in the kitchen till you've been over it (a damp kitchen roll, if you haven't done it already).

You do seem to be having a run of white goods misfortune. Battle bowlers in the kitchen?

You do seem to be having a run of white goods misfortune. Battle bowlers in the kitchen?

On 12/12/2021 at 08:14, Bryan said:

Maybe I'm looking at the past through rose coloured specs, but there was once a time when you could buy decent British made kit that would do the job and continue to do so for a reasonable period. Due to various disappointments with household goods  I now realise that our car, fridge freezer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, and lawn mower are all manufactured by German owned companies. I worked in medium/heavy engineering at a time when the government of the day decided that the future lay with financial rather than manufacturing companies, and things have gone down hill since. 

Rant over.

Our (actually I think it belonged to a friend) 70s or 80s Servis tumble dryer pinged its timer knob. I tried Servis as it is now but they'd just bought the brand out of liquidation some while ago. I did happen to find their old factory address and have a look on Street View. Demolished. But the Indesit replacement is British made, as it happens. It's not something we think about.

Unfortunately I believe we fell far behind the Germans in white goods decades ago. IBut I think you'll find your German badged white goods are made in China.

Two sales this morning takes me to 99 sales for the year, so looks like I'll break the 100 sales mark for the first time ever. 🍾

Steve

p.s. so at least my sales numbers are steadily improving. Don't dare check my net take home.... 🤦‍♂️

• Love 4

19 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Two sales this morning takes me to 99 sales for the year, so looks like I'll break the 100 sales mark for the first time ever. 🍾

Steve

p.s. so at least my sales numbers are steadily improving. Don't dare check my net take home.... 🤦‍♂️

Brilliant Steve well done, I will raise a glass to that 🍷  Onwards and upwards, I keep hoping😄

Carol

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Steve

Uplifting isn't it? Well done!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sb photos said:

Had my annual eye test this morning. The good news is all was well, and my lens prescription hasn't changed no no expenditure on new glasses. 

Steve, does the NHS provide us with an annual eye test? I had one last year at the large Boots here and got 2 pairs of glasses — walking around and reading. They said my eyes were healthy. But I do want to get a new test and order a pair of specs for video watching on my MacBook, somewhere in between reading and walking around with my cameras. 

I will leave it till January; at the moment, I don't want to bother the NHS with anything less than a sucking chest wound. They have a few jabs to do. 

17 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Steve, does the NHS provide us with an annual eye test? I had one last year at the large Boots here and got 2 pairs of glasses — walking around and reading. They said my eyes were healthy. But I do want to get a new test and order a pair of specs for video watching on my MacBook, somewhere in between reading and walking around with my cameras. 

I will leave it till January; at the moment, I don't want to bother the NHS with anything less than a sucking chest wound. They have a few jabs to do. 

The recommended frequency for free eye tests on the NHS is two years Edo. Some people require test more often. Lots of info direct from the NHS website.

Getting an eye test now would not be overwhelming the NHS as they are done by Boots and other opticians - the NHS just pays for the test. However, given the very high transmissibility of the Omicron variant, I am not sure it is a good idea to get an eye test right now unless you really need it. I think it is quite a high risk situation.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

The normal recommendation for eye tests covered by the NHS is 2 years. I have mine annually as I am diabetic and my mother and sister had and have glaucoma. Thankfully all is well with my eyes.

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

does the NHS provide us with an annual eye test?

Every 2 years for people as experienced as us* unless the optician thinks you need them more often- as SB says. So as you had one last year, even though it wasn't on the NHS, you probably can't have a free one till next year.

*over 60- I didn't know this  so will be getting one soonish!

Edited by spacecadet

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

That sounds like fun. Are you taking a tour bus or riding with someone in their car?

There is a house about a block from me that draws crowds every year. One can go to a radio station that plays Christmas music, posted on a sign in the front yard, and see the lights pulse to the music. It happens to be on the street I drive out of the neighborhood, so I get to see it often.

In New York, New York "the people ride in a hole in the ground." We had a 45 minute subway ride and it was all walking from there. A few tour buses were wandering around and we knew we were on the right track when they headed the same direction we did. My arthritic foot did well until after we had sat down in the restaurant for a while and it was hurting when I went to bed. I haven't quite solved that problem though icing before bed helps. 

Paulette

2 hours ago, NYCat said:

In New York, New York "the people ride in a hole in the ground." We had a 45 minute subway ride and it was all walking from there. A few tour buses were wandering around and we knew we were on the right track when they headed the same direction we did. My arthritic foot did well until after we had sat down in the restaurant for a while and it was hurting when I went to bed. I haven't quite solved that problem though icing before bed helps. 

Paulette

Sorry about the foot, Paulette. Years ago I had double bunionectomy surgery, with a neuroma removed at the same time which fixed my painful feet. Early onset bunions run in my family. Both of my daughters have had the surgery also, it stems from my grandmother and who knows before. I well remember how painful it was to walk. The bad thing about pain in a foot is sometimes it causes one to roll the foot one way or the other while walking to ease the pain, then the improper position goes up to affect other joints. Ankle, knee, hip and even the back. My neuroma (little tumor wrapped around the nerve of my 2nd to little toe) caused that for me and I was around 30 years old. I was able to put off surgery for 10 years because I changed jobs and begin wearing the very soft leather with cushioned soles of nurse’s shoes.

I’m hoping my upcoming surgery will get me able to walk more than the current half of a block. When the back spasms hit, I can barely move.

Edited by Betty LaRue

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Talking about "Toughened" glass every time I take a ride on the bus I have to smile to myself when I see the on board fire extinguisher behind its glass panel. Above a sign reads "In case of fire break glass".  At the bottom of the glass panel printed on the glass it reads "Toughened Glass". 😃

Yes I do know what toughened glass is and does but the juxtaposition of the two signs just makes me smile.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Talking about "Toughened" glass every time I take a ride on the bus I have to smile to myself when I see the on board fire extinguisher behind its glass panel. Above a sign reads "In case of fire break glass".  At the bottom of the glass panel printed on the glass it reads "Toughened Glass". 😃

Yes I do know what toughened glass is and does but the juxtaposition of the two signs just makes me smile.

Allan

With everybody in rubber-soled shoes nowadays I do wonder how you're supposed to break it. Something heavy, a fire extinguisher maybe?🤩

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

With everybody in rubber-soled shoes nowadays I do wonder how you're supposed to break it. Something heavy, a fire extinguisher maybe?🤩

Haha!

Something pointed like a key will work. The smaller the point the easier it is. Usually there's some sort of tool next to a case like this. However they get stolen a lot. Guess for what purpose? (Hint: it involves car windows.)

wim

14 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I manage with two sets of specs, a varifocal pair for most tasks, from reading to driving, but a separate fixed focal length pair for using computer screens and reading music. Unfortunately my two eyes require different prescriptions, as otherwise a cheap pair from the likes of Wilco or Boots would probably do the trick for the screens. I've a friend who prefers contact lenses, but I don't like the idea or cost of disposable lenses.

I'm both a contact lens and a bifocal failure -- have poor balance with bifocals. What I do have is lots of pockets in my jackets to carry stuff. Hmm. It seems I have problems with eyeglasses, gardening, transport, budgeting, Live News and near-News, a lack of wildlife and green areas, new virus strands, and understanding Merseyside English. Where's the good news? Oh, they have raised the temperature in my flat this past week. It's now a comfortable 22 degrees C (72 F).  

• Love 4

31 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh, they have raised the temperature in my flat this past week. It's now a comfortable 22 degrees C (72 F).  

HOORAY!😊

Allan

• Thanks 1

• Alamy locked this topic