Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

17 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

We were given pot/crockery tea set and proper knives and forks. Not your tatty plastic or wooden ones.

Allan

simple-cafe-lunch-fish-chips-and-peas-WXY4MH.jpg

My contribution. Fish and chips defrosted just they way Mum used to do it..

14 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

WHAT! No mushy peas.

Allan

• Love 1

My doctors surgery finally contacted me late in the day yesterday that they now had blood tubes in stock. Back in JulyAugust I should have had an annual blood test, but it was suspended due to the national shortage. At the year end I wonder how many national shortages we will have had. Had the blood taken at 7:15am this morning. It was a quick in out, both the needle and me. In less than 5 mins I was back in my car.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Stop with the fish & chips. My stomach is growling and I don’t know anyplace in Wichita that serves them. I must investigate!

You are in luck Betty! If you have the "Yelp" app, and search for fish and chips in Wichita, there are a bunch of restaurants that claim they have em on the menu.  I have a pub near me that has them and they are pretty good and almost too much for one person.  I go there once in a while with my son.

2 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Not the best food pairing, admittedly, but I do hope that's claret there.

Edited by spacecadet

All this talk about fish and chips had me making another classic U.K. dish last night, shepherd's pie.  A great meal on a chilly night.  Made it with lamb (with a little nutmeg) and chopped veggies with mashed potatoes on top.  I have enough for three or four meals!  This is just a quick snap with my phone.

Pie2

• Love 2

58 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

All this talk about fish and chips had me making another classic U.K. dish last night, shepherd's pie.  A great meal on a chilly night.  Made it with lamb (with a little nutmeg) and chopped veggies with mashed potatoes on top.  I have enough for three or four meals!  This is just a quick snap with my phone.

Pie2

We fairly regularly eat similar to yours, but with the lamb substituted to quorn mince, more mashed potato and cooked in a casserole dish in the oven.

Edit: plus a sprinkling of grated cheddar cheese on top.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Pie2

You men who cook have my admiration. My husband would have starved before rattling a pan. McDonald’s would have profited, though.

1 minute ago, Dave Richards said:

Following breakdown of the original, a brand new replacement central heating boiler installed today in time for winter. No more standby electric heaters or immersion heater gobbling electricity. Happy days!!! ☺️

Well done.  I've been trying to get a response from a rated  local heating engineer, but, so far, he hasn't replied to any of my messages.  Our system is noisily soldering on, but we need to have it looked at before the family descends over the holidays.

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

Pie2

Fish and chips aren’t overly tempting for me, but I grew up on shepherd’s pie, often topped with cornbread rather than potatoes. Love it! 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Well done.  I've been trying to get a response from a rated  local heating engineer, but, so far, he hasn't replied to any of my messages.  Our system is noisily soldering on, but we need to have it looked at before the family descends over the holidays.

I found my installer by using a comparison web site. They matched me to a couple of companies and a local one came up trumps. Gave me a fair fixed price quote and did the work at two days notice with no hassle and the boiler has a ten year warranty.

If you need a new boiler you could try Boxt Boilers (www.boxt.co.uk/boilers); they have a straight forward questionair and will give you a quote online.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

2 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Following breakdown of the original, a brand new replacement central heating boiler installed today in time for winter. No more standby electric heaters or immersion heater gobbling electricity. Happy days!!! ☺️

We had our gas central heating boiler replaced just over 10 years ago. It's a valiant, and has never given any trouble.

4 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

You men who cook have my admiration. My husband would have starved before rattling a pan. McDonald’s would have profited, though.

Funny, the other day my son asked if I had any hobbies and he said I can't say photography.  So my only response was cooking.  I really enjoy it and I was lucky to grow up with a father was a way better cook than I am.  My parents often had dinner parties and my dad did the majority of the cooking, my mom would make the salads and maybe a dessert.  But I remember how their friends would be so excited about coming over because the food was so good.   Because of his upbringing, his dishes were often French, Italian and Middle Eastern influenced from the places he lived and the cultures he was surrounded by.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 3

All of this talk about cookery and non fat fryers is leading me to consider the various kitchen gadgets that we have tried and abandoned, or found to be useful. To put this into context we have a galley kitchen which is a very efficient workspace, but storage is limited - so there is no place for marginally useful kit.

Tried and abandoned

George Foreman Grill - the eye level grill on the cooker is more convenient.

Pressure cooker - transforms green veg into school dinner mush

Toaster - see George's grill above plus consumes space

Plastic spatulas - I found that they deposited a layer of plastic on a white ceramic pan.

Various coffee machines - occupy too much space and results no better than stove top moka pot.

Chip pan - or deep fat fryer, went years ago for health reasons

Tried and retained

Stove top tiered steamer - for crispy veg and economical use of space and gas

Slow cooker - used to make lunchtime soup throughout the colder months, recycles leftovers

Wooden spatulas - environmentally friendly low cost solution

Stove top Moka pots, cheap simple reliable way to brew delicious coffee.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bryan said:

All of this talk about cookery and non fat fryers is leading me to consider the various kitchen gadgets that we have tried and abandoned, or found to be useful. To put this into context we have a galley kitchen which is a very efficient workspace, but storage is limited - so there is no place for marginally useful kit.

Tried and abandoned

George Foreman Grill - the eye level grill on the cooker is more convenient.

Pressure cooker - transforms green veg into school dinner mush

Toaster - see George's grill above

Plastic spatulas - I found that they deposited a layer of plastic on a white ceramic pan.

Various coffee machines - occupy too much space and results no better than stove top moka pot.

Chip pan - or deep fat fryer, went years ago for health reasons

Tried and retained

Stove top steamer - for crispy veg and economical use of space and gas

Slow cooker - used to make lunchtime soup throughout the colder months, recycles leftovers

Wooden spatulas - environmentally friendly low cost solution

Stove top Moka pots, cheap simple reliable way to brew delicious coffee.

Bryan - Have you heard about Instant Pot? That could possibly combine your Steamer and Slow cooker into one machine.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Incase you have not heard before there is a new local neighborhood app "Nextdoor" where your neighbors could recommend other local heating engineers. A little reliable than the raving reviews of a popular trade checker website.

11 minutes ago, Gnans said:

Bryan - Have you heard about Instant Pot? That could possibly combine your Steamer and Slow cooker into one machine.

Incase you have not heard before there is a new local neighborhood app "Nextdoor" where your neighbors could recommend other local heating engineers. A little reliable than the raving reviews of a popular trade checker website.

Thanks Gnans, but I'm not convinced.

Th Instant Pot looks suspiciously like a pressure cooker ?  The steamer cooks at atmospheric pressure, so is kinder to delicate veg.  Plus a stove top steamer appears to cost about one tenth that of an Instant Pot ?

The heating engineer that I am trying to contact came as a personal recommendation, but I suspect that he is able to pick and choose work, and prefers the more lucrative boiler installations to routine safety checks and minor fixes.  In the past we've used a good guy but one who has to travel some distance and I was trying to find a local tradesman, but maybe back to plan A.

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Thanks Gnans, but I'm not convinced.

Th Instant Pot looks suspiciously like a pressure cooker ?  The steamer cooks at atmospheric pressure, so is kinder to delicate veg.  Plus a stove top steamer appears to cost about one tenth that of an Instant Pot ?

The heating engineer that I am trying to contact came as a personal recommendation, but I suspect that he is able to pick and choose work, and prefers the more lucrative boiler installations to routine safety checks and minor fixes.  In the past we've used a good guy but one who has to travel some distance and I was trying to find a local tradesman, but maybe back to plan A.

Presumably you've bled the radiators, but noise could be kettling from limescale on the heat exchanger you can hear it right inside the boiler. I treated ours when it was about 12 years old after doing a radiator flush- you put the flusher across the boiler (usually by removing the pump) and use a descaling agent. It's still fine after 8 or 9 years.

A bad thermostatic valve can also make an individual radiator noisy, or it may just need another flush. Flush first, then drain down to replace the valve. Been there, done that, putting off one.

Edited by spacecadet

11 hours ago, sb photos said:

We had our gas central heating boiler replaced just over 10 years ago. It's a valiant, and has never given any trouble.

Vailant are good.

I installed my heating system myself and it's chugged way quite happily for the last 25 years. But with the advent of more efficient condensing boilers and the problem in sourcing spares for the old one it was time to retire it. Now have a very tidy and much quieter Worcester tucked away in a run of kitchen wall cupboards. I didn't install the new boiler, I'm too old and lazy for mucking about with those things now.

1 hour ago, Gnans said:

Nextdoor is OK but website worked for me and I now have a reliable and accredited installer to do the annual service and safety checks.

• Love 1

I have to say that there seems to be nothing on the "Which?" boiler service checklist that isn't a DIY possibility if you have the manual, installation guide, and a healthy respect for 230V.

But then we do have a non-condensing unpressurised system.

Edited by spacecadet

• Alamy locked this topic