Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

My good news is that I picked up my grocery order, parked in the garage barely ahead of the storm that was predicted for an hour later. (You can’t believe anyone anymore 😁) As I unloaded my car, it began raining, followed by small hail.

I reached age 87 today! I share this date with Richard Burton and Ennio Morricone.  Ennio and I are still here. How did I manage to get this far with 7 stents in my heart? It's like a sci fi story. Yikes. (Oh oh, Mark says Ennio is gone too. For a time, Ennio and I were both trumpeters and Trasteverini. So that leaves . . . just me.)

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I reached age 87 today! I share this date with Richard Burton and Ennio Morricone.  Ennio and I are still here. How did I manage to get this far with 7 stents in my heart? It's like a sci fi story. Yikes. 

robot GIF

Happy Birthday Edo.  Sent you a cake on Facebook.

Allan

20 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I reached age 87 today! I share this date with Richard Burton and Ennio Morricone.  Ennio and I are still here. How did I manage to get this far with 7 stents in my heart? It's like a sci fi story. Yikes. 

🍷but it's just you, Ed, alas, Ennio's been composing for the choir invisibule since last July.🙁

Edited by spacecadet

35 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Must be the vino e pasta!  Happy Birthday Edo!!

36 minutes ago, Bryan said:

My favourite radio programme delivered again yesterday. A timely playing of Peggy Seeger's "How I long For Peace" ( Armistice day) followed the prescient "Garbage" sung by Pete Seeger way back in 1969.  Appropriate as COP26 draws to a close.

Bryan, my wife and I had. the great privilege of attending a solo evening with Pete Seeger in a Greenwich Village club in about 1960, the beginning of the folk revival. He was soooo charming. 

I grew up with The Weavers. Seeger made his way through Decca Records stardom and then McCarthyism. Now there's a guy who remanded productive throughout his long life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Weavers

No political comments, please. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Oh, I just remembered something semi-interesting! I replaced Pete Seeger in a children show. It was just two weekend dates at a summer tent for kids in rural New Jersey. That was a few years latter during my very brief attempt at becoming a folk singer. I remember I had just one rehearsal to get familiar with the dancers moves. Ah, show biz!

Edo, not a member of the Weavers

• Love 3

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh, I just remembered something semi-interesting! I replaced Pete Seeger in a children show. It was just two weekend dates at a summer tent for kids in rural New Jersey. That was a few years latter during my very brief attempt at becoming a folk singer. I remember I had just one rehearsal to get familiar with the dancers moves. Ah, show biz!

Edo, not a member of the Weavers

Today I photographed a man a year older than you who was born in Frankfort, Germany, just before Hitler took over and was conscripted into the Hitler Youth at 13 years old...he was being trained to be a machine gunner. He was captured by the French and then handed over to the Americans at an outpost.  It was there at the outpost that he heard American jazz for the first time when a guard was playing "Flying Home" by Lionel Hampton. At that moment, he fell in love with jazz.  When The War was over, he managed to come to the U.S. on his own and live with an aunt in Virginia.  He studied music and became a jazz musician playing the vibraphone and has played at the White House a number of times and played with many jazz greats.  He later met his hero, Lionel Hampton, in New York, and told him his story of how inspired he was and how it set his course in life.  Mr Lennie Cuje still has a vibraphone set up in his living room and he jumped at the opportunity to show off his skills when I asked him if he still played.

I just downloaded the photos, here is one of Lennie

LennyCuje_0073c

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 4
  • Like 3

I love hearing stories like yours, Edo, Michael, and many others. There are very interesting folks participating here on this forum, with plenty of great tales to tell. I feel like every day spent here I learn a little something new, whether it’s about photography or life in general. 

The good thing that happened to me today was receiving recognition of my Italian citizenship, based on the Italian immigrant grandparents I never knew. It’s been a good day.

• Like 1

Anyone who gives up the machine gun for vibs is moving in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrxLL69C718

This is my son, Hansford Rowe, on bass on a tune he wrote for Gong, a French fusion group he once played with. They had vibs and marimbas all over the place. I'm gonna stop calling Hanny my ex-stepson; we're closer than that sounds.

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

I love hearing stories like yours, Edo, Michael, and many others. There are very interesting folks participating here on this forum, with plenty of great tales to tell. I feel like every day spent here I learn a little something new, whether it’s about photography or life in general. 

The good thing that happened to me today was receiving recognition of my Italian citizenship, based on the Italian immigrant grandparents I never knew. It’s been a good day.

That's great, Cecile! Officially, I'm an American and an Irishman but in my heart I'm at least part Romano

• Love 2

Just received notification of a POD sale that won't quite cover the annual fee, but would be the equivalent of a $64 sale here. Encouraging, but I'm never going to get rich that way. An example of "Coals to Newcastle" a photo of Walden Pond to a buyer in the USA.

Edited by Bryan

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just received notification of a POD sale that won't quite cover the annual fee, but would be the equivalent of a $64 sale here. Encouraging, but I'm never going to get rich that way. An example of "Coals to Newcastle" a photo of Walden Pond to a buyer in the USA.

Nice one Bryan.

Allan

• Love 1

7 hours ago, Bryan said:

Following on from Bryan , two POD (UK one) sales this month, earing me more than Alamy net sales YTD

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic