Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

A very impressive machine, and great photos ! 

Thank you Bryan. Yes we are very impressed by our bus capabilities. It's taken us to very remote wild places with all the luxury one could dream of: aircon, heating, showers, hot water, icecreams, home size fridge, well supplied bar. Living the dream as per the cliche. The drawback is when we get mechanical problems. Bearing in mind that for the type of travel we do, any town of significant proportion is usually several thousand kms away, whenever we get to a garage, they are usually not equipped for a heavy vehicle. Right now, we have busted a front shock absorber. We are holed up in the bush waiting for delivery of a new one in 2 weeks' time! Added to the geography issue, the problem is that because it's a modified vehicle with a Land Cruiser transfer case, some garage refuse to touch it. Too scared of liability!

Regarding the photos, I have terrific drone pics which I can't upload to Alamy. I have a recreational permit for States that require it in Oz but no commercial license. Never mind, I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Gee, I had to take a taxi and a train and walk a fair bit to get my flu and covid jabs today. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but now I realise that I didn't have to wait weeks for auto parts while being surrounded by crazed, hungry packs (group?) of kangaroos, giant cockroaches, or venomous whatnots. Ahh, city life.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gee, I had to take a taxi and a train and walk a fair bit to get my flu and covid jabs today. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, but now I realise that I didn't have to wait weeks for auto parts while being surrounded by crazed, hungry packs (group?) of kangaroos, giant cockroaches, or venomous whatnots. Ahh, city life.

Wrong beasties Edo, the hungry ones are the mozzies. We had to have our Happy Hour under external mosquito nets yesterday. 

Out of curiosity, when we had our AZ jabs, we were told we could not have any other jab within 14 days. You were able to combine a flu jab? Not that we need it now, summer is coming.

I've never been as popular as I was with the mosquitos of the U Minh Forest. Minh means light -- Ho Chi Minh means Bringer of the Light. A U in front of a word changes the meaning of a word to the opposite . . . so The Forest of Darkness. 

The NHS gave me one shot in one arm and one in the other. If I'm able, I'll report my condition tomorrow. 

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I've never been as popular as I was with the mosquitos of the U Minh Forest. Minh means light -- Ho Chi Minh means Bringer of the Light. A U in front of a word changes the meaning of a word to the opposite . . . so The Forest of Darkness. 

The NHS gave me one shot in one arm and one in the other. If I'm able, I'll report my condition tomorrow. 

That's interesting. In the desert of Central Australia is a phenomenom called the Min Min lights which no-one has been able to explain. Small lights appear at night and seem to follow travellers in some cases. They have been seen for hundreds of years.

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

That's interesting. In the desert of Central Australia is a phenomenom called the Min Min lights which no-one has been able to explain. Small lights appear at night and seem to follow travellers in some cases. They have been seen for hundreds of years.

Glow flies?🌟

Allan

Re-think.  FAIRIES.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

OF COURSE they are flying saucers. So obvious.

Paulette

Some are the size of a fist, a few metres from campers at night. One of many theories is that it's escaped gas from gas drilling operations in the area but Aborigines have reported sightings well before that.

Following on from my post in "Bad thing today".

The rainstorm and gale force wind stopped dead on midday and the sun came out.

Allan

Gen, I remember vividly the time I was doing a PanAm shoot Downunder in the late 70s. I was at a wildlife reserve in or near Brisbane and a Big Red mom with a joey in her pouch looked at me and sent me a clear message: I better not get any closer or she would part my hair with her tail. Magnificent creatures they are.

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gen, I remember vividly the time I was doing a PanAm shoot Downunder in the late 70s. I was at a wildlife reserve in or near Brisbane and a Big Red mom with a joey in her pouch looked at me and sent me a clear message: I better not get any closer or she would part my hair with her tail. Magnificent creatures they are.

You don't mess with roos. Remember Roger the Kangaroo?

I’ve been writing a book, intermittently, for five years, and the project looked like it could carry on till Dooomsday. So I decided, two months ago, to make my number one priority to finish it by the end of October. And… it’s done, and dusted, and on schedule. To celebrate, I’ve been on the Argos website and bought myself a new ironing cover. What a time to be alive! 😄

• Love 1
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I’ve been writing a book, intermittently, for five years, and the project looked like it could carry on till Dooomsday. So I decided, two months ago, to make my number one priority to finish it by the end of October. And… it’s done, and dusted, and on schedule. To celebrate, I’ve been on the Argos website and bought myself a new ironing cover. What a time to be alive! 😄

Well done John! So satisfying... Good luck with your book, I wish you many sales. Now what's your next project?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Well done John! So satisfying... Good luck with your book, I wish you many sales. Now what's your next project?

Thank you, Gen. After five years working on the book, I feel a quiet satisfaction on finishing it (rather than say, the fist-pumping triumphalism of beating the Aussies at cricket). It’s been a ‘labour of love’, rather than a commission, so there’s no guarantee that it will ever be (profitably) published. I wasn’t sure I could tackle such a big project (130,000 words) at the age of 70, so, while I can still string a few words together, I have another couple of books to work on. In the meantime my camera is - literally - gathering dust…

• Love 1
  • Like 3

On 30/10/2021 at 22:08, gvallee said:

Out of curiosity, when we had our AZ jabs, we were told we could not have any other jab within 14 days. You were able to combine a flu jab? Not that we need it now, summer is coming.

How shall I put this neutrally. Australia may not be at the front of the queue vaccination research-wise.

Yeah, Mark. If I were to read the Liverpool Echo everyday, I would be afraid to go out. But the truth is I have had nothing but positive interactions with people here. Of course I don't go out late at night or hit the pubs near Bold Street. And remember, I grew in Brooklyn at the time of West Side Story and Murder Incorporated. 

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

the pubs near Bold Street.

Clue's in the name, Ed. Probably should be Downright Foolhardy on a Friday Night Street.

Saame here, nothing but good memories of the place. The bad reputation probably probably comes from southern softies believeing 70-year-old stories about Everton and psychopathic dockers. No docks now. Everton? No idea.

• Like 1

Been notified this afternoon that 78 images waiting QC have passed.

I like the way Alamy lets me know in their email.  "Congratulations you have passed QC".  As if it is something I do not do often enough.

Hmm. On second thoughts.

Allan

• Love 1

Couldn't resist turning out to capture some autumn colour yesterday. The sun shone, and my wife had an appointment in nearby Chester le Street, so I tagged along and took my camera for a walk through the Riverside Park. The colours here are a tad muted, no deep reds, but attractive nevertheless. I didn't shoot anything that would clearly make the cash register ring, but I got a few photos that are worth uploading. You never know, sometimes you get a surprise. A pleasant morning stroll, if nothing else.

• Love 1

By the way . . . I had no side effects from the two jabs I had on Saturday. None. I convinced my old friend in Florence to get her booster. She was going to skip it.

My upgrade to Monterey on my M1 MacBook Air seems to working out.

• Love 2