Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Had a letter telling me that I am going to receive the "Winter Fuel Allowance".  (box of matches, three candles, and 2 pints of diesel for the car.)

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Betty I hate having a large backlog of photos to process. I'm thinking of all the work involved in processing and keywording that 800 images. Trouble is I go out and take more photos so it is just getting bigger and bigger. The backlog that is. So it just gets worse and worse.

I have a similar problem with my fencing around my property. It needs to be recoated with coloured (colored) woodstain. The problem is that I need a couple of weeks to complete the job and while I am doing that nothing else is being done.

Scared Oh No GIF

Allan

Understood! At least I’ve finally sent off my last butterfly and am not distracted with that. I actually got the kitchen and Echo’s room mopped this morning. And I have an overgrown Althea shrub that needs trimmed down before winter sets in.

The fence? Break it up into units. Half the back span, etc.  Stain that piece. Then spend a day editing, then  tackle the other half of the fence unit. Edit. Start on the fence sides.  Eventually both will get done and you won’t go so crazy spending so much time doing one thing. Doing one thing for a long chunk of time results in boredom and loss of enthusiasm for me.

Made a Xmas cake today, used plenty of cheap brandy. Lovely smell in the kitchen. Seemed to come out OK. 

I normally make two, one for us and another to share between our two sons and their families. The second cake can wait until a really cold day, when the heat from the cooker will be welcome.

Maybe I should take a photo of the cake 🙃

Edited by Bryan

On 18/10/2021 at 11:07, Allan Bell said:

Betty I hate having a large backlog of photos to process. I'm thinking of all the work involved in processing and keywording that 800 images. Trouble is I go out and take more photos so it is just getting bigger and bigger. The backlog that is. So it just gets worse and worse.

I have a similar problem with my fencing around my property. It needs to be recoated with coloured (colored) woodstain. The problem is that I need a couple of weeks to complete the job and while I am doing that nothing else is being done.

Scared Oh No GIF

Allan

Paint fence when sun shines, process photos when it rains ?

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Made a Xmas cake today, used plenty of cheap brandy. Lovely smell in the kitchen. Seemed to come out OK. 

I normally make two, one for us and another to share between our two sons and their families. The second cake can wait until a really cold day, when the heat from the cooker will be welcome.

Maybe I should take a photo of the cake 🙃

The better half made two cakes today, they are still warm!

+1 with the cheap brandy, never seen brandy in a plastic bottle before. 🥂

• Love 1

My greenhouse has always been my happy place.... got it bubble-wrapped today to help ward off the cold winter they say is coming our way this year... never tried to insulate it before, but want to over-winter my geraniums and start seeds early in the spring.  Geraniums are potted up and thriving nicely inside right now.  We`ll see how it goes. ;)

2 hours ago, Sharon said:

My greenhouse has always been my happy place.... got it bubble-wrapped today to help ward off the cold winter they say is coming our way this year... never tried to insulate it before, but want to over-winter my geraniums and start seeds early in the spring.  Geraniums are potted up and thriving nicely inside right now.  We`ll see how it goes. ;)

Our greenhouse isn't properly insulated, but last year it dawned upon me that the north side of the house, against a fence, wasn't getting any direct light. I therefore used a spare length of the insulation that you use under laminate floors beneath the staging, and stuck heavy duty kitchen foil to the glass above the staging to reflect the light back into the growing space. I guess bubble wrap under the roof space would be the next step.

Last year I tried to overwinter geraniums by digging them up, removing all of the soil, and storing them in the garage. Total failure, not one survived, while a plant that I left in the soil in a south facing border next to the house made it through the winter, as did the dahlias in the same location.

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Our greenhouse isn't properly insulated, but last year it dawned upon me that the north side of the house, against a fence, wasn't getting any direct light. I therefore used a spare length of the insulation that you use under laminate floors beneath the staging, and stuck heavy duty kitchen foil to the glass above the staging to reflect the light back into the growing space. I guess bubble wrap under the roof space would be the next step.

Last year I tried to overwinter geraniums by digging them up, removing all of the soil, and storing them in the garage. Total failure, not one survived, while a plant that I left in the soil in a south facing border next to the house made it through the winter, as did the dahlias in the same location.

Bryan, how did that work out with the foil?.. I bet you had a lot more light as well as the greenhouse being warmer too.

I always used to dig up my dahlias and store the tubers in a cardboard box in the garage... for the most part, it was successful.  Last year a couple got left in the ground and they came up this year, so I decided I`d leave them all in and mulch heavily over top... it`s getting to be way too much work to be lifting and dividing.  If they don`t survive, so be it, but at one time I had 60 of them.. couldn`t bring myself not to save any.

I know the roof of the greenhouse would be the most important part to insulate, as that`s where all the heat goes, but I just had enough bubble wrap for the sides... it took me 4 hours to put it in place so was kinda glad I didn`t have any more wrap for the roof... lol.  I also have an incandescent light bulb I turn on when the temperature drops... I use an upside-down clay pot as a lamp shade which radiates a bit of heat.

2 hours ago, Sharon said:

Bryan, how did that work out with the foil?.. I bet you had a lot more light as well as the greenhouse being warmer too.

I always used to dig up my dahlias and store the tubers in a cardboard box in the garage... for the most part, it was successful.  Last year a couple got left in the ground and they came up this year, so I decided I`d leave them all in and mulch heavily over top... it`s getting to be way too much work to be lifting and dividing.  If they don`t survive, so be it, but at one time I had 60 of them.. couldn`t bring myself not to save any.

I know the roof of the greenhouse would be the most important part to insulate, as that`s where all the heat goes, but I just had enough bubble wrap for the sides... it took me 4 hours to put it in place so was kinda glad I didn`t have any more wrap for the roof... lol.  I also have an incandescent light bulb I turn on when the temperature drops... I use an upside-down clay pot as a lamp shade which radiates a bit of heat.

The foil was successful I think, we had a good crop of peppers grown on the staging, but I'm not sure about the temperature. One thing I do know is that our home greenhouse has a more moderate temperature regime than that at the allotment, which is probably in a frost pocket while it gets full sun all day long in the summer. Tomatoes planted early in the year survived at home while those at the allotment did not. However our allotment greenhouse has an automatic roof vent and that is very useful, I intend to fit one to the other house.

I guess that we are taking a risk leaving things in the ground over winter, but, in the right spot, not too much cold, and a covering of mulch, things do survive.

I don't use my home greenhouse over winter as it doesn't see any direct sunshine during the coldest months, while that at the allotment gets to be far too cold. 

Rather than heating the air in your greenhouse, have you thought of a heated mat, directly under the plants?  Might be more efficient.

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Rather than heating the air in your greenhouse, have you thought of a heated mat, directly under the plants?  Might be more efficient.

Good idea... will think on it. Thanks. :)

Uploaded ANOTHER 26 images.

Spent a lot of time finding out details of where I took them. That is one reason why I do not like big backlogs. If I can process images soon after taking them I can remember places and it makes it quicker keywording.

Allan

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

The plumber fixed my leaky shower head, and replaced my front outdoor faucet. I need to go out now and do some busking. Maybe offer 6 of my watercolors for the cost of the plumber’s bill?

Best of luck with your sale !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

Had my Covid booster jab.

Roofing contractor came and re-pointed the ridge tiles on the house. Needed doing before winter sets in.

My wife has been referred by her GP for her booster, has it booked for this Saturday. She had her last vaccination 6 days after me, yet I’ve heard nothing. I can’t book online as it hasn’t been 6 months since my last jab. My surgery is the pits in many areas.

3 minutes ago, sb photos said:

My wife has been referred by her GP for her booster, has it booked for this Saturday. She had her last vaccination 6 days after me, yet I’ve heard nothing. I can’t book online as it hasn’t been 6 months since my last jab. My surgery is the pits in many areas.

I got communications from Doctors surgery AND NHS on the same day to book my booster jab. Went with surgery as it is nearer than where-ever NHS would have wanted me to go.  Actually should have booked NHS as well and have had double booster dose.   Just to be on the safe side  ----- or NOT.

Allan

7 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just passed last year's number of sales...now if I can beat last year's revenue, that would be even better!

My sales this year top last year by 146%.   Value is only 77% of last year.

Allan

• Love 1