Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

53 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

I don't use Lightroom but wonder if it's possible to upgrade your existing one.

No Carol, well it is and it isn't. Dave has LR 5 Perpetual so the only upgrade route is to subscribe to CC, you can no longer upgrade the Perpetual non-subscription version and in any case that stopped at 6.14., which wouldn't work with those files either. I use 6.14 because I bought it when it was still on sale, having gone through the versions from LR1 so I have to stick with older cameras, however they're still pretty excellent in my eyes.

3 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

After some initial panic/confusion I have finally managed to upgrade my Mac OS to allow me to install the Nikon software needed for my new Z6 ll. Downloaded all images taken since I bought the camera so I've got lots of editing ahead.

Thanks for letting us know Dave, good luck with it all, I imagine that in time you may be tempted by the subscription version as there are a lot of new features over LR5, though I'm still holding off for reasons which I've bored people with already.

5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

My son has come to visit from Calgary and great to see him.  Both of my sons have moved there, so been lonely here in the east. Look forward next year to driving out for a visit.

Jill

How nice! Mine moved to Kansas to be near, but the job didn’t work out due to boss saying one thing and doing another.  He’s moved back to Alabama with a superior job, just last Thursday.

7 hours ago, Harry Harrison said:

Thanks for letting us know Dave, good luck with it all, I imagine that in time you may be tempted by the subscription version as there are a lot of new features over LR5, though I'm still holding off for reasons which I've bored people with already.

Thanks Harry. I’ve given it some thought and decided I’ve had enough of faffing about and will get the LR subscription version. A tenner a month won’t break the bank, I’ve just chucked in membership of National Trust so will just use the money saved from there to fund the LR sub.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

Fastest ever sales today.  Had nine sales drop in and five of those were of the same building at $39.76 each.  Two of those were taken just last week (20th), captioned/keyworded over the weekend, uploaded Sunday evening, on sale Monday, sold today.

Sorry, don't want to say what building - there are only 16 photos of it on Alamy and they are all mine!  I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible...😀

Added bonus - had my Covid booster jab today.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

Fastest ever sales today.  Had nine sales drop in and five of those were of the same building at $39.76 each.  Two of those were taken just last week (20th), captioned/keyworded over the weekend, uploaded Sunday evening, on sale Monday, sold today.

Sorry, don't want to say what building - there are only 16 photos of it on Alamy and they are all mine!  I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible...😀

Added bonus - had my Covid booster jab today.

Got a good guess but i'm not telling, love Manchester used to live not  far from there, well short trundle on the motorway. (Littleborough).🙂

• Love 1

On 28/09/2021 at 13:12, Harry Harrison said:

No Carol, well it is and it isn't. Dave has LR 5 Perpetual so the only upgrade route is to subscribe to CC, you can no longer upgrade the Perpetual non-subscription version and in any case that stopped at 6.14., which wouldn't work with those files either. I use 6.14 because I bought it when it was still on sale, having gone through the versions from LR1 so I have to stick with older cameras, however they're still pretty excellent in my eyes.

On 28/09/2021 at 21:02, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Harry. I’ve given it some thought and decided I’ve had enough of faffing about and will get the LR subscription version. A tenner a month won’t break the bank, I’ve just chucked in membership of National Trust so will just use the money saved from there to fund the LR sub.

Had a re-think and I've downloaded the DNG converter. After a bit of bumbling around (I'm not very good at this computer lark) I got the thing working and can edit in my version of Lightroom. Maybe get the subscription version if Alamy sales pick up sufficiently to justify the expense. In the meantime it does what I need it to do, so happy days.

Thanks again to everyone who has previously responded for your help/advice.

8 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Had a re-think and I've downloaded the DNG converter.

We're lucky that there are so many options really. Moving to the subscription version always gives you the very latest software (see the other thread about  AI masking) but it doesn't feel right for me at the moment. It is unarguably very good value but there are other reasons that stop me, mainly my extensive use of the Lightroom database features that I want to keep under my control considering how much of my own time I've spent building it.

If you don't make much use of the LR database, and many don't, then with the evenings drawing in and the pressure for a solution off maybe take a look at demos of DxO and Affinity or even Darktable, I've never looked at DxO because inexplicably it can't work with Fuji X-Trans files. I suppose more and more what we're both going to be missing out on are these new Artificial Intelligence features.

4 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

Had a re-think and I've downloaded the DNG converter. After a bit of bumbling around (I'm not very good at this computer lark) I got the thing working and can edit in my version of Lightroom. Maybe get the subscription version if Alamy sales pick up sufficiently to justify the expense. In the meantime it does what I need it to do, so happy days.

Thanks again to everyone who has previously responded for your help/advice.

Well done, you have the patience of a saint😄

Carol

7 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Well done, you have the patience of a saint😄

Carol

Thanks Carol.

No choice really, it all took a while to sink in but got there in the end thanks to a lot of help and advice from a number of forum friends.

Edited by Dave Richards
correction

On 28/09/2021 at 14:10, Jill Morgan said:

My son has come to visit from Calgary and great to see him.  Both of my sons have moved there, so been lonely here in the east. Look forward next year to driving out for a visit.

Jill

Our sons have moved closer, from New York and London, but still a significant car journey away, so we don't see them and their families as often as we would like. I've never been a super keen motorist, but I'm liking driving even less on our overcrowded roads as I get older. We're making more use of the train these days, and if you book in advance and use your ancient individual's railcard, you can travel reasonably cheaply in the UK where we still have a decent and even expanding passenger rail network.

Strangely enough I prefer towing our caravan to driving without. Limited to 60 mph you just chug along with the trucks, most of the time in the slow lane, and you don't have idiots sitting inches from your boot while overtaking etc. It's much less stressful. 

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Our sons have moved closer, from New York and London, but still a significant car journey away, so we don't see them and their families as often as we would like. I've never been a super keen motorist, but I'm liking driving even less on our overcrowded roads as I get older. We're making more use of the train these days, and if you book in advance and use your ancient individual's railcard, you can travel reasonably cheaply in the UK where we still have a decent and even expanding passenger rail network.

Strangely enough I prefer towing our caravan to driving without. Limited to 60 mph you just chug along with the trucks, most of the time in the slow lane, and you don't have idiots sitting inches from your boot while overtaking etc. It's much less stressful. 

Now I've a picture of a train chugging over the hill with a little caravan on the back in my mind...😉

1 hour ago, Mr Standfast said:

Now I've a picture of a train chugging over the hill with a little caravan on the back in my mind...😉

That would not go amiss in 009.

Allan

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've never minded driving.  Until my sister moved slightly closer last month,  I used to do a 5 hour drive to visit her in Grand Bend, along Lake Huron, at least once a month in nice weather.  Not so much in winter, but I would probably do at least one trip in winter.  She is only 3 hours away now, so will be visiting even more often.  Rail is also much cheaper for us oldies as well, but it isn't as accessible out here in the country.  Our passenger rail network is still pretty much limited to around the cities and suburbs for commuters. 

Jill

Our commercial network of passenger trains is generally limited to cities and urban commuting as well. However our cities and towns are closer together than in Canada and the USA so hopping on a train to get to even some small villages is easier and more likely to be accomplished.

Allan

Looking forward to attending a live music concert next Friday, it has been a long while...   In this case Karine Polwart singing at the Sage in Gateshead.  If you can access the BBC website check out Karine and Dave MIlligan performing "Talk to Me of Mendocino", and while you are there take in Slow Jane (Katherine Priddy etc) singing Nick Drake's Fly.  Ok great music is in the ear of the listener, but these are definitely to my taste. 

Edited by Bryan

Just now, gvallee said:

Well done Allan! Good luck!

Good luck to you too Gen. BTW it was me that voted for your tree. Great shot with the ploughed field making a tree island.

Allan

5 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Good luck to you too Gen. BTW it was me that voted for your tree. Great shot with the ploughed field making a tree island.

Allan

Aww... You're the one who took pity LOL!! Thank you, don't tell anyone.