Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I walked up to Castle Street just after noon today. I was considering stopping at Rudy’s for a pizza. But first I went up the block to the small Boots and got three items. On the line to pay, I found I didn’t have my wallet. The clerk told me she would hold the items aside for me . . . but the couple next to me in another cue paid for my stuff. 

I was flabbergasted. I thanked them profusely and protested but they insisted. Would this happen in NYC? Sure. I think it happened once in 1846.

For sometime now, people have been asking me — why Liverpool? This would be one reason. Many of the Scousers here look like overweight rugby thugs. But in dealing with me, they’ve all been polite, friendly, and kind. 

Edo, like Emma, an expat

I did a kindness for a stranger today but it seems puny compared to those folks. A woman got onto the bus and as she pulled out her mask the elastic broke and she was going to have to hold it against her face. I was carrying a package of the disposable masks and i gave her one, of course. We do help each other in NYC now and then. It was a funny bus day with people getting into conversations.

I was on my way to get my mammogram and sonogram. I remain cancer free. Hooray! Pearl Harbor Day (Dec. 7) will be the 21st anniversary of my diagnosis. I'm so lucky. On the way home on the bus we passed Bergdorf Goodman and I thought...00hhhhhh.  I have to go there and have fun looking at the wild and gorgeous garments. I'm in no danger of spending any money since it is extraordinarily expensive. And I just love it. If you like NYC the film "Scatter my Ashes at Bergdorf's" is great fun. Every now and then I'm reminded how much I love the City. When we reached 8th Street I could see the fountain on in Washington Square Park and when I passed the Electric Lady Studios there was a black car outside and two burly guys who looked likely to be some celebrity's bodyguards. Lots of fun people-watching here.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I did a kindness for a stranger today but it seems puny compared to those folks. A woman got onto the bus and as she pulled out her mask the elastic broke and she was going to have to hold it against her face. I was carrying a package of the disposable masks and i gave her one, of course. We do help each other in NYC now and then. It was a funny bus day with people getting into conversations.

Paulette

My only trip to New York was in 1980 and it had a reputation for being dangerous and unfriendly back then. I asked a guy for directions in the street and he completely freaked out, started shouting at me about why I was bothering him. I got out of there fast 😀

33 minutes ago, MDM said:

I asked a guy for directions in the street and he completely freaked out, started shouting at me about why I was bothering him. I got out of there fast 😀

That wasn't me, Michael -- honest. I was living in Dallas then. 1980 was the year John Lennon was shot.

40 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That wasn't me, Michael -- honest. I was living in Dallas then. 1980 was the year John Lennon was shot.

Yeah sure Edo and you had a ten gallon hat as well 🤠.  I mentioned this before but I was actually in New York the day John Lennon was shot. It definitely was not me. I was in JFK airport. I loved John Lennon. Liverpool's greatest genius. I heard about it when I arrived in Dublin the following day. I was shocked.

10 hours ago, MDM said:

Yeah sure Edo and you had a ten gallon hat as well 🤠

I stayed with my NY Yankee cap in Dallas but did get a pair of cowboy boots. I was there for 4 years working as American Airlines location photographer.

Before leaving NYC, I was on West 79th Street. John and Yoko were at the Dakota on 72nd and we would sometime have breakfast at the same coffee house on Amsterdam. One morning, we had adjacent booths and had a long talk. They were very easy to talk to and displayed none of their famous exotic behaviour. So John was the first Scouser I ever met. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Emma won the US Open and I got to watch the match on Amazon Prime UK.

Me too: a couple of hours well-spent. I don't know how those girls hit the ball so hard, and find the corners of the court with such precision and regularity. And Emma has won the event without dropping a set (including the three preliminary matches she had to play as a qualifier). She will need a removals van to carry all the money she's going to make over the next ten years...

• Love 2

On 11/09/2021 at 10:23, Ed Rooney said:

I stayed with my NY Yankee cap in Dallas but did get a pair of cowboy boots. I was there for 4 years working as American Airlines location photographer.

Before leaving NYC, I was on West 79th Street. John and Yoko were at the Dakota on 72nd and we would sometime have breakfast at the same coffee house on Amsterdam. One morning, we had adjacent booths and had a long talk. They were very easy to talk to and displayed none of their famous exotic behaviour. So John was the first Scouser I ever met. 

Fascinating Edo. You have led a really interesting life and I wish you lots more to come. 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Unable to watch tennis as our younger son, his partner, and their one year old son were staying for the first time. Overall a great success, but the poor bairn had just been vaccinated for a whole swathe of possible ailments and was definitely under the weather. We did see the odd smile, and he got a lot better as the weekend progressed.  On sunny Saturday we took him to the beach, his first visit.  At first he was very wary of the sand, but he gradually gained confidence.  A joint family holiday was proposed for next year, something to look forward to.

17 hours ago, MDM said:

Fascinating Edo. You have led a really interesting life and I wish you lots more to come. 

Well, I was in NYC once, and who knows, I might have rubbed elbows with Edo. Or maybe he was in the crosswalk when I thought our maniac taxi driver would surely mow him down. I don’t know how close of a call it was because I had my hands over my eyes in case it was going to be bloody.

On 10/09/2021 at 17:43, MDM said:

Yeah sure Edo and you had a ten gallon hat as well 🤠.  I mentioned this before but I was actually in New York the day John Lennon was shot. It definitely was not me. I was in JFK airport. I loved John Lennon. Liverpool's greatest genius. I heard about it when I arrived in Dublin the following day. I was shocked.

I wore a cowboy hat and boots for a few years, but it was because we owned a half-dozen quarter horses and rode them often. 

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well, I was in NYC once, and who knows, I might have rubbed elbows with Edo. Or maybe he was in the crosswalk when I thought our maniac taxi driver would surely mow him down. I don’t know how close of a call it was because I had my hands over my eyes in case it was going to be bloody.

Crosswalk? Me? No, I'm a Brooklyn boy who just walks through the moving traffic. 

And if you think NYC is scary, try Saigon or Rome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOVAPxg9v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKcxtSN_hK0

Edited by Ed Rooney

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Crosswalk? Me? No, I'm a Brooklyn boy who just walks through the moving traffic. 

And if you think NYC is scary, try Saigon or Rome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOVAPxg9v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKcxtSN_hK0

Hmmm, I think New York City rivals Rome. Saigon? Yikes!
My taxi driver would race up to the crosswalk, then at the last possible second, slam on the brakes before hitting someone. He turned my hair white while watching my face in the mirror to get his laughs for the day. I had to tint my hair from that day forward. 😉

Our hotel, booked by the Sally Jesse Raphael TV show, (don’t remember the hotel’s name) wasn’t far from Central Park, because we passed one of the entrances soon after leaving to go to the airport.

We really saw nothing of NYC other than coming (limo) and going (taxi) from the airport. The thing I noticed most is there were a lot more swarthy people percentage-wise on the east coast. Dark hair & eyes, and more prominent noses, compared to the rest of the country. But that was 25 or so years ago, and only that section we traveled through.

39 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

a lot more swarthy people percentage-wise on the east coast. Dark hair & eyes, and more prominent noses, compared to the rest of the country.

Seems to me that's an odd sort of thing to notice, and retain a particular memory of, for 25 years, and then mention in a forum about "a good thing that happened today".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Seems to me that's an odd sort of thing to notice, and retain a particular memory of, for 25 years, and then mention in a forum about "a good thing that happened today".

You never pass up an opportunity to jump on me, do you? It’s become laughable. And…extremely obvious.

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

You never pass up an opportunity to jump on me, do you?

My recollection is that, in fact, I've rarely responded directly to a post of yours at all in the past year or two, for reasons you may recall. But considering your reaction it's a policy to which I'll be returning.

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s become laughable.

Not sure how many of us will be laughing at your recollection, on a short trip to what I understand is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on Earth, that what you "noticed most" were "swarthy people" with "dark hair and eyes" and "prominent noses".

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

My recollection is that, in fact, I've rarely responded directly to a post of yours at all in the past year or two, for reasons you may recall. But considering your reaction it's a policy to which I'll be returning.

Not sure how many of us will be laughing at your recollection, on a short trip to what I understand is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on Earth, that what you "noticed most" were "swarthy people" with "dark hair and eyes" and "prominent noses".

Can it, Mark. How does anything I say change your life? Who made you the arbitrator? I’d say they are many more people here that are wiser than either of us, and you’re pretty much at the rock bottom of the list. Just below me. You’re the last person I read to learn anything useful.

For your edification, I’ve been East, west, north and south in the US. I noticed more fair people in the north due to the Swedish and such settling there. Dark haired in the east, since it’s a major port people come into, so more Italians descent people there. They don’t have a place called “Little Italy” for no reason.  
In the middle of the country, a mix, pretty even, but probably a bit more fair. There is absolutely no prejudice involved in noticing these things, as you are trying your best to make it. I’m an observer and I find my country extremely interesting.

I’m done with this stupid conversation, go kick a rock or something and leave me alone.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 3

Sorry everybody else, this isn't a "good thing" as advertised.

No need to kick a rock, it's just back to my "ignored users" list.

But I'll still comment if I read something that appears off-colour (pun intended). If it's explained and it's a misunderstanding I'll say sorry. But this didn't appear to be despite the separation of a common language and all that. I'll keep my opinions on character, erudition and intelligence to myself.

Shame about PMs though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Hmmmm. "Swarthy with a prominent nose" sounds like a guy I would be attracted to. Jewish? Italian? Sounds good to me. I wonder why it would sound like a bad thing.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

I wonder why it would sound like a bad thing.

I didn't say "bad", I said "odd". The "bad" was inferred. No doubt you're trying to be conciliatory but the full quote is "a lot more swarthy people percentage-wise on the east coast. Dark hair & eyes, and more prominent noses". Surely you can see that there's another, less wholesome interpretation of that, the single observation recalled of a trip to NY other than the name of the hotel. I offered space for an explanation, but explanation came there none, only accusations and insults.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

5 minutes ago, BobD said:

nothing can be accepted for what it is

It's not always clear "what it is", see above. It merely struck me as an odd comment. The reaction was more illuminating.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

I didn't say "bad", I said "odd". The "bad" was inferred. No doubt you're trying to be conciliatory but the full quote is "a lot more swarthy people percentage-wise on the east coast. Dark hair & eyes, and more prominent noses". Surely you can see that there's another, less wholesome interpretation of that, the single observation recalled of a trip to NY other than the name of the hotel. I offered space for an explanation, but explanation came there none, only accusations and insults.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

It's not always clear "what it is", see above.

Says something about your arrogance that you think Betty owes you an explanation.

• Like 4

• Alamy locked this topic