Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Red wine, white wine, beers, lagers, spirits, cider, etc, etc, etc, are ALL bad for me if they contain any ALCOHOL. Gives me migraines. 

Yes please, but NONE alcoholic thanks.

Allan

I’m like you, Allan, it takes very little alcohol to give me a wicked headache.  Though I love cooking with alcohol ( in the food, not in my hand).  I love the flavor it gives while the alcohol cooks out.

18 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Red wine, white wine, beers, lagers, spirits, cider, etc, etc, etc, are ALL bad for me if they contain any ALCOHOL. Gives me migraines. 

Yes please, but NONE alcoholic thanks.

Allan

I don't have this problem generally, but certain beers did give me a headache. I don't sup much ale these days, but have always been partial to a jar of Guinness and that didn't cause any headaches. To quote a line from Knopfler "German beer is chemical free", and maybe that has something to do with it. 

However after discovering decent alcohol free beer while cycling in France, I keep a supply of that in the house. Not yet found any drinkable alcohol free wine, but you never know.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

I don't have this problem generally, but certain beers did give me a headache. I don't sup much ale these days, but have always been partial to a jar of Guinness and that didn't cause any headaches. To quote a line from Knopfler "German beer is chemical free", and maybe that has something to do with it. 

However after discovering decent alcohol free beer while cycling in France, I keep a supply of that in the house. Not yet found any drinkable alcohol free wine, but you never know.

Yes I have the occasional alcohol free beer but only on special occasions. Or if I feel like having one.😎

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Yes I have the occasional alcohol free beer but only on special occasions. Or if I feel like having one.😎

Allan

I have no issues with alcoholic drinks, but I only drink in moderation and very much below the government guidelines. Last night I was at a friends art exhibition private view and photographing the event for the artists. I only drunk 1 small red wine and a coffee over 2 hours.

I find altitude affects my ability to consume wine without getting a headache. I’ve been up over 7,000 ft for the past month and suffered a pretty bad headache each of the two times I drank one glass of my regular rosé. While here, I’ve only tried beer once - some sort of fancy, sour beer that wouldn’t normally be my choice - and was, thankfully, headache free. 

About the only time I have alcohol is one or two glasses of white wine while watching my team play American football. Better for my body than tranquilizers, I suppose. The wine calms my heart because it tends to start doing scary things when I’m stressed. Thankfully, though, there is only a couple of games a year where “ahem”…medication is required.

I do have a Margarita once or twice a year.
No headaches ever involved.

I do remember some headaches in my younger years the morning after a dance…I believe that was called a hangover. 😁 I do think it was caused as much from the smoky environment before smoking was banned indoors. People lit up, then placed the burning cigarette in an ashtray when they jumped up to dance. My eyes burned.  
I never had more than three mild drinks over the evening.

I have a phenomenal capacity for alcohol.  I do enjoy a glass of wine most afternoons, but that is it.  I can drink an entire bottle of champagne and wake up bright and chipper the next day.  Never had a hangover. Not really sure if that is good or bad. 

Jill

21 hours ago, Bryan said:

It’s called grape juice, Bryan! 🤣

I have over 20 (maybe as many as 25, I’ve lost count) Monarch eggs and/or just hatched tiny caterpillars I'm fostering. Another butterfly cage has shipped. I released a butterfly yesterday, which makes 17 so far, and have two new chrysalises.  If they all survive, I’ll be pushing 40 or more when I’m done.
I’ve fascinated one daughter with it all, and she’ll be planting milkweed next spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s called grape juice, Bryan! 🤣

If only Betty, I've nothing against grape juice but wine it isn't. 

We shared a bottle of red with our elder son on Saturday, in order to wash down the pizzas he made in his latest toy, a pizza oven heated by wood shavings. He makes the dough using a mix of semolina and strong white bread flour, while the oven cooks the pizza in no time at all. They do taste special. He's vegetarian and veggy pizza suits me.

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

If only Betty, I've nothing against grape juice but wine it isn't. 

We shared a bottle of red with our elder son on Saturday, in order to wash down the pizzas he made in his latest toy, a pizza oven heated by wood shavings. He makes the dough using a mix of semolina and strong white bread flour, while the oven cooks the pizza in no time at all. They do taste special. He's vegetarian and veggy pizza suits me.

Mmmm, sounds delicious! Mushrooms are one of my favorite veggies on pizza, bell peppers and black olives, too. Although I usually have some sort of meat, whether pepperoni or sausage.

On 06/09/2021 at 14:48, Betty LaRue said:

Mmmm, sounds delicious! Mushrooms are one of my favorite veggies on pizza, bell peppers and black olives, too. Although I usually have some sort of meat, whether pepperoni or sausage.

Indeed, probably not what a pizza aficionado would countenance, but mushrooms are top of the list for me - well along with a basil/tomato dressing and some onion and mozzarella . I don't eat any processed meat, so no sausage or pepperoni, but I'm not yet entirely vegetarian. 

But a good thing that happened today was discovering the BBC 4 documentary Vivaldi Umasked , which includes a line by line explanation of sections of the 4 Seasons, using Vivaldi's own annotation.  Apologies to you good folk who can't get BBC 4, or who don't like Vivaldi !

Edited by Bryan

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Indeed, probably not what a pizza aficionado would countenance, but mushrooms are top of the list for me - well along with a basil/tomato dressing and some onion and mozzarella . I don't eat any processed meat, so no sausage or pepperoni, but I'm not yet entirely vegetarian. 

But a good thing that happened today was discovering the BBC 4 documentary Vivaldi Umasked , which includes a line by line explanation of sections of the 4 Seasons, using Vivaldi's own annotation.  Apologies to you good folk who can't get BBC 4, or who don't like Vivaldi !

I still have Vivaldi's Four Seasons on 33 1/3 rpm records. Hope to play them soon on my inherited AIWA turntable through AIWA amp and speakers.

Also have on same media Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Strauss and Bach. Just to show I am not all classical I have two 33 1/3 records of The Goon Show.😃

Allan

• Love 1

Ahh! So, Allan — if we don't have booze in common, we do have the love of classical music. Vivaldi is my favourite of the three great baroque composers. Bach is the most interesting technically. And Handel, a German, wrote all that English music. But Vivaldi . . . he has that cheerful Italian touch. Via Vivaldi!

Edited by Ed Rooney

20 hours ago, Bryan said:

One of my favourite pizza combos is mushrooms, artichokes, capers, and pineapple. Try it some time. It's all about the pineapple.

Even when I used to eat meat, I never liked pepperoni. All it did was give me indigestion. 🍕

16 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Ahh! So, Allan — if we don't have booze in common, we do have the love of classical music. Vivaldi is my favourite of the three great baroque composers. Bach is the most interesting technically. And Handel, a German, wrote all that English music. But Vivaldi . . . he has that cheerful Italian touch. Via Vivaldi!

Sorry Edo I do not speak Japanese.

Allan

Brava, Emma! The UK has a new sports princess, tennis teen, Emma Raducanu. With her winning ways and winning smile, she has come out of nowhere to dominate the US Open woman's singles. She is a jewel in the crown of my new home nation. Go girl!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Brava, Emma! The UK has a new sports princess, tennis teen, Emma Raducanu. With her winning ways and winning smile, she has come out of nowhere to dominate the US Open woman's singles. She is a jewel in the crown of my new home nation. Go girl!

Thanks, Ed. You're a good neighbour. We've fortunate to have you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Interestingly, she is actually of Romanian (obvious from her surname) - Chinese origin, born in Canada and moved here when she was two. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MDM said:

Interestingly, she is actually of Romanian (obvious from her surname) - Chinese origin, born in Canada and moved here when she was two. 

More interestingly, possibly- among the "metropolitan elite" (I'm one, according to some- that's a laugh!) this fact is not of the least significance.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

I walked up to Castle Street just after noon today. I was considering stopping at Rudy’s for a pizza. But first I went up the block to the small Boots and got three items. On the line to pay, I found I didn’t have my wallet. The clerk told me she would hold the items aside for me . . . but the couple next to me in another queue paid for my stuff. 

I was flabbergasted. I thanked them profusely and protested but they insisted. Would this happen in NYC? Sure. I think it happened once in 1846.

For sometime now, people have been asking me — why Liverpool? This would be one reason. Many of the Scousers here look like overweight rugby thugs. But in dealing with me, they’ve all been polite, friendly, and kind. 

Edo, like Emma, an expat

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I walked up to Castle Street just after noon today. I was considering stopping at Rudy’s for a pizza. But first I went up the block to the small Boots and got three items. On the line to pay, I found I didn’t have my wallet. The clerk told me she would hold the items aside for me . . . but the couple next to me in another cue paid for my stuff. 

I was flabbergasted. I thanked them profusely and protested but they insisted. Would this happen in NYC? Sure. I think it happened once in 1846.

For sometime now, people have been asking me — why Liverpool? This would be one reason. Many of the Scousers here look like overweight rugby thugs. But in dealing with me, they’ve all been polite, friendly, and kind. 

Edo, like Emma, an expat

Liverpudlians are renowned for their friendliness. That is a wonderful story Edo. Like Edo and Emma, an expat 🤣

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I walked up to Castle Street just after noon today. I was considering stopping at Rudy’s for a pizza. But first I went up the block to the small Boots and got three items. On the line to pay, I found I didn’t have my wallet. The clerk told me she would hold the items aside for me . . . but the couple next to me in another cue paid for my stuff. 

Edo, like Emma, an expat

Ed…

You gave somebody the opportunity to be their better selves. They’ll be feeling fine, too, about this brief transaction.

I was at a supermarket checkout the other day, and the lady in front of me was short of a couple of quid for the things she’d bought. Before she had to decide what to leave behind, I gave a note to the cashier. A smile was my reward…

• Love 2
  • Like 1

• Alamy locked this topic