Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Oh oh, my old gang is breaking up over a cup of java. 

Mates, I once live around the corner from Sant' Eustachio Il Caffè in Rome. They are said to have the best coffee in The World. The Ferraris parked on top of each other in front said so. I tipped my cup to Fellini in there once. Now days, this nomad Yank makes coffee in a French press. I envy Andy the stability of his life in being able to own a fab espresso machine. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

After two panicky tech days, I'm up and running again! 

My iPhone 7, just 4 years old, was misbehaving. I've read that many iPhones don't last longer 🤨. I bought a new iPhone 12 mini (the 13 is out now). I also went into THREE to ask about getting a WiFi modem and ended with a pocket-size mobile broadband unit. After 112 dumb mistakes, I can now get my M1 MacBook Air on the Web with both this mobile thing and my 12 mini Personal Hotspot. Yes, I still have problems to solve but I'm moving towards the light.

Edo, a 20th century lad

Hi Edo, I believe I mentioned the Three wifi dongle a while ago when you were having troubles earlier. Great piece of kit.

Good to hear you are getting it together.😃

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

21 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

What have you been buying Allan ?😁

Carol

Not telling. Secret.😀  But if you meet me round the back of the bicycle shed I'll whisper what I have been buying.😔

Allan

3 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Not telling. Secret.😀  But if you meet me round the back of the bicycle shed I'll whisper what I have been buying.😔

Allan

Well enjoy whatever it is you have bought Allan😄 owing to the current fuel crisis, I will have to decline your offer😄

Carol

I make coffee in an electric drip coffeemaker every morning. No instant, and no decaf. If a doctor ever tells me I can’t have caffeine, I’ll quit drinking coffee. About this, I’m set in my ways.
I set my coffeepot up before bed, and just push a button when I arise. By the time I dress and get my newspaper from my driveway, my coffee is ready.

Good to see the photo of the famous 3 from Liverpool, interesting to put faces to names. 

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but we are heading out into Northumberland with our tiny caravan later today, staying for a few days. The weather forecast could be a lot better so we may get severely wet but hopefully we'll get some walking done, and I might even take a few photos. Fortunately we have a full tank of diesel, and not too far to travel, so no immediate fuel worries.

My best mate has an exotic coffee machine, while we are far more parsimonious and use a collection of three old Moka pots. Probably drinking instant in the van however.  There are larger Mokas about

Edited by Bryan

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Good to see the photo of the famous 3 from Liverpool, interesting to put faces to names. 

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but we are heading out into Northumberland with our tiny caravan later today, staying for a few days. The weather forecast could be a lot better so we may get severely wet but hopefully we'll get some walking done, and I might even take a few photos. Fortunately we have a full tank of diesel, and not too far to travel, so no immediate fuel worries.

My best mate has an exotic coffee machine, while we are far more parsimonious and use a collection of three old Moka pots. Probably drinking instant in the van however. 

Have fun, unwind.

We used to stay in tenting campsites that had water and electricity. I’d bring out my electric coffee pot, sit it on the picnic table and brew the coffee.
Once we stayed at a tent cabin in the Teton mountains, at Jackson Hole. Two sides were logs, two sides were canvas. This was July, but at the high elevations, the nights were cold. There was a pot-bellied stove inside, and two bunks. Bob fired up the wood-burning stove without realizing the flue had come apart. We were smoked out until he got it put back together. Even so, we slept with coats and long underwear on in heavy sleeping bags because the fire burned out soon.

The next morning, I took the coffee pot out front to plug it in. We drank our steaming cups while sitting at the picnic table in parkas and gloves, looking out on the most beautiful pine trees all encased in frozen dew or fog. The sun came up over the mountains and everything turned to sparkling diamonds. It was heart-stoppingly beautiful. Back home, it was probably 70 degrees hotter. What a way to get out of the summer heat. I saw my first pilated woodpecker there, but before I had anything but a wide-angle fixed lens camera.

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

Fortunately we have a full tank of diesel, and not too far to travel, so no immediate fuel worries.

Enjoy your Northumberland trip, it's a great county. Here down south diesel was the first to sell out Friday and Saturday. Some unleaded E10 was delivered yesterday to local Tesco garages, but was sold out by early afternoon with the garages closing again. Locally diesel is pretty much non existent. Smaller bus companies and taxi drivers are worried. My wife has enough unleaded to get into work and back today only. 

Edited by sb photos

Thanks for the kind words Betty and Steve. Feeling a tad guilty about recreational diesel use, but when my wife filled the tank yesterday there were no queues - a benefit of living in the frozen north.

We've booked tickets to go to the remains of the old Roman fort at Vindolanda, she is a historian, I'll go along to make up the numbers.

15 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Don't go, Carol... He'll only show you his dongle... 😎

Carrol don't believe John.  I'm not like that. Really.

Allan

• Love 1

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm not like that. Really.

I’m ashamed to say that I don’t remember you mentioning that MiFi gizmo; it’s exactly what I needed. I can put up to 10 devices on it. I’m almost up to speed with everything. Almost. I will post a problem on the bad post. 

39 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I’m ashamed to say that I don’t remember you mentioning that MiFi gizmo; it’s exactly what I needed. I can put up to 10 devices on it. I’m almost up to speed with everything. Almost. I will post a problem on the bad post. 

Don't worry Edo I forget things too as MDM will affirm.

Allan

See you on the "Bad Post" thread.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

My library is giving a "Masterpieces of Art" class online and I saw my first one today. I wasn't sure how useful it would be to see art on my computer but it was fine. You can see composition, subject, and at least approximate color. I enjoyed it. I'm very conscious that a lot of wonderful photographers went to art school... Jay Maisel, Art Wolfe, etc. and I found myself looking for lessons that can apply just as well to photography.

Paulette

• Like 1

After some initial panic/confusion I have finally managed to upgrade my Mac OS to allow me to install the Nikon software needed for my new Z6 ll. Downloaded all images taken since I bought the camera so I've got lots of editing ahead.

Special thanks to all you guys who assisted/provided advice.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

After some initial panic/confusion I have finally managed to upgrade my Mac OS to allow me to install the Nikon software needed for my new Z6 ll. Downloaded all images taken since I bought the camera so I've got lots of editing ahead.

Special thanks to all you guys who assisted/provided advice.

That's great news, so pleased you have sorted it.  You must have the patience of a saint to wait this long😄 What did you manage to upgrade the Mac to in the end ?

Carol

44 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

That's great news, so pleased you have sorted it.  You must have the patience of a saint to wait this long😄 What did you manage to upgrade the Mac to in the end ?

Carol

Thanks Carol. Upgraded to Mohave but the Mac can upgrade one step further to Catalina.

Just hit another snag though because my version of Lightroom (5) doesn't recognise the raw files from the Z6 ll. I'll try to get the DNG converter to see if I can live with that, or maybe bite the bullet and get a new editing suite. Better hurry up with that 'cos I'm not stopping shooting and a lot of pics are building up that will need to be processed.

Edited by Dave Richards
added text.

4 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

Thanks Carol. Upgraded to Mohave but the Mac can upgrade one step further to Catalina.

Just hit another snag though because my version of Lightroom (5) doesn't recognise the raw files from the Z6 ll. I'll try to get the DNG converter to see if I can live with that, or maybe bite the bullet and get a new editing suite.

Oh no🙃 I don't use Lightroom but wonder if it's possible to upgrade your existing one.  No doubt others can advise also.  Good luck with the DNG converter, hopefully it will all be sorted soon....

Carol

• Alamy locked this topic