Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans on the forum. Roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed, and pumpkin pie. I've not had a bite of any of that in years. 

Classical FM is playing all American compositions tonight. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you too , Edo. I haven't had turkey since I became vegetarian but there always seems to be plenty of good stuff. I had a Thanksgiving lunch yesterday with a friend at Pearl on Cornelia Street. Fish sandwich with shoestring flies and haricots vert. A hot fudge sundae for dessert. Today I go to a friend in Soho who makes a feast for ten people. I hope you are treating yourself. Lots to be thankful for in this fascinating world.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Ed, and Paulette. We are having ours tomorrow. I shall put my two pumpkin pies in the oven to bake early, then next I will bake the southern cornbread dressing. It does have bread in it, too.  Also sausage.  
We don’t call it stuffing much in these parts. It is baked in its own pan with drippings for seasoning. I tried stuffing a turkey once. It was gross. Yuk.

Since my son-in-law is smoking the spatchcocked turkey, I baked a chicken to get my own non-smoked drippings. The dressing is my favorite part of the meal, and nobody in my family much knows how to make it decently. I’m also doing a sweet fruit desert, made with drained crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling, a can of sweetened condensed milk, cool whip and pecans. Bananas are supposed to go in it, but I quit using them because they go bad so quickly. If one wants, they can add some flaked coconut.

16 hours ago, Dave Richards said:

I had to have all that done a couple of years ago, before they started with the six MRI scans I've had since to find out why my walking gait has changed. The vascular result for my legs was normal. Hope yours has turned out OK.

Thank you Dave. Do not have the results yet but nothing drastic has been indicated.

Sorry to hear about your walking problem. Fortunately I do not have that problem yet.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

So my wizard heating engineer turned up this morning with two of his mates. They listened to our noisy CH boiler and immediately diagnosed a problem with the condensate drain. They sawed through the condensate pipe and  took the cover off the sump to find it full of water and gunge.  De-gunged it, re-soldered the pipe and re-assembled. Took about 20 minutes. 

All is well with the world. 

• Love 3

On 26/11/2021 at 10:02, Bryan said:

So my wizard heating engineer turned up this morning with two of his mates. They listened to our noisy CH boiler and immediately diagnosed a problem with the condensate drain. They sawed through the condensate pipe and  took the cover off the sump to find it full of water and gunge.  De-gunged it, re-soldered the pipe and re-assembled. Took about 20 minutes. 

All is well with the world. 

Feels good when contractors know their job.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thank you Dave. Do not have the results yet but nothing drastic has been indicated.

Sorry to hear about your walking problem. Fortunately I do not have that problem yet.

Allan

Good to hear you're OK.

I can still walk thankfully. I used to be able to do 6 or 7 miles on the hoof with the camera without even thinking about it. It just gets more tiring now. Good excuse to stop off for a beer though.

• Like 1

Here's another good thing that happened today.

Last night I was, in the fashion of a nerd, checking all of the entries in my credit card statement against my spreadsheet. I noticed that I had been charged twice for rail tickets purchased earlier in the month, two deductions of £102.

This morning I rang the rail company Crosscountry and spoke at length to a person at their call centre.  He was helpful but was unable to resolve the problem, however he did promise to pass it on to the team that dealt with such matters.  Oh dear, I thought. 

An hour later I received an e-mail from them saying that the booking  email used had ended with GMAIL.COMCRO rather than  gmail,com.  No idea what that has to do with it, but they have promised a full refund,  so happy days ....

Thinking about it I must have entered an incorrect e-mail address, but why would I add CRO to the address? Never fear, problem solved.

Edited by Bryan

26 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Last night I was, in the fashion of a nerd, checking all of the entries in my credit card statement against my spreadsheet. I noticed that I had been charged twice for rail tickets purchased earlier in the month, two deductions of £102.

This morning I rang the rail company Crosscountry and spoke at length to a person at their call centre.  He was helpful but was unable to resolve the problem, however he did promise to pass it on to the team that dealt with such matters.  Oh dear, I thought. 

An hour later I received an e-mail from them saying that the booking  email used had ended with GMAIL.COMCRO rather than  gmail,com.  No idea what that has to do with it, but they have promised a full refund,  so happy days ....

Waiting for a statement? Goodness me, haven't done that for years. It's all on the online banking in minutes. Even quicker on the phone and you can raise a query straight away.

Maybe a double boking- the temptation to retry if a transaction appears to stall should be resisted. Just wait a bit and check your online credit card account.........oh, hang on..........

I did stick with paper statements till recently when I seem to have opted out by accident. I missed one when it didn't arrive in the post then though to myself- do I really need that bit of paper to keep for 6 years then shred? No. It's on the computer anyway as they all have been for nigh on 20 years. If I really need it I can print it myself. So that's 12 fewer letters and about 36 fewer bits of paper.

Edited by spacecadet

1 hour ago, Dave Richards said:

Good to hear you're OK.

I can still walk thankfully. I used to be able to do 6 or 7 miles on the hoof with the camera without even thinking about it. It just gets more tiring now. Good excuse to stop off for a beer though.

I’m 70 and can still stride along fast. I did more walking during the first lockdown, usually between 16 and 20km per walk. When last in London a few weeks back with a backpack containing 3 Nikon bodies with lenses attached I clocked up nearly 14km. That was too and from Marylebone photographing various protests and some stock. I’m taking the same kit with me tomorrow and reckon to to do around 16km including walking to and from my local station. My knees did give some problems in the past, but have been good for the last 3 - 4 years.

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Waiting for a statement? Goodness me, haven't done that for years. It's all on the online banking in minutes. Even quicker on the phone and you can raise a query straight away.

Maybe a double boking- the temptation to retry if a transaction appears to stall should be resisted. Just wait a bit and check your online credit card account.........oh, hang on..........

I did stick with paper statements till recently when I seem to have opted out by accident. I missed one when it didn't arrive in the post then though to myself- do I really need that bit of paper to keep for 6 years then shred? No. It's on the computer anyway as they all have been for nigh on 20 years. If I really need it I can print it myself. So that's 12 fewer letters and about 36 fewer bits of paper.

A good friend of mine who used to work in the Bank/Benefit Fraud intelligence told me its the one or two very small amounts that don't get questioned you need to look for. This can be someone "testing the waters" on your account then watch and wait for a large balance to clear out in one go.

4 hours ago, aphperspective said:

A good friend of mine who used to work in the Bank/Benefit Fraud intelligence told me its the one or two very small amounts that don't get questioned you need to look for. This can be someone "testing the waters" on your account then watch and wait for a large balance to clear out in one go.

They would have to wait till doomsday and beyond for a large balance in my accounts.

Allan

And the amounts are getting smaller - if you know what I mean.😉

ITMA

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

They would have to wait till doomsday and beyond for a large balance in my accounts.

Allan

And the amounts are getting smaller - if you know what I mean.😉

ITMA

I think it's those who are monthly paid that need to watch. Salary goes in and within seconds its gone, (sorry that the good lady) in my case.🙄

1 minute ago, aphperspective said:

I think it's those who are monthly paid that need to watch. Salary goes in and within seconds its gone, (sorry that the good lady) in my case.🙄

My larger income goes into an account which is only accessible by me. It is then divvied out to other accounts when needed.👅

Allan

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Life's too short to be looking at the credit card account every day Mark. I download my statement when I get the nod that it's available, i.e. once a month.  I guess I would take a look if I suspected anything fishy, or lost the card, but I've never had cause to.  This is the first time that I have ever had to query the content.  Any disparities have always down to my (or her) error !

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thinking about it I must have entered an incorrect e-mail address, but why would I add CRO to the address? Never fear, problem solved.

Hmmmmm,

E-mail 'gmail.com' plus first three letters of 'Crosscountry' = gmail.comcro

Our one-day-late Thanksgiving dinner was today, and everything was wonderful. I was up at 6:15, had my coffee, read the paper and had my two pumpkin pies in the oven by 8. Took them and the rest of my dishes to my daughter’s. By the time I came home at 4 pm, I felt a vampire had been draining my blood.

Hopefully a good night’s sleep will renew me.

A nice thing is that I’m having a decent sales month, better than usual. Never fear…usually when that happens, it’s followed by a rotten month. I used to think that sales would just steadily get better, but this is a fickle business, and nothing can be counted on. The best thing is that I focus on other aspects of my life and put stock in perspective. It’s just not the end-all for me.

• Love 2

16 hours ago, Bryan said:

Life's too short to be looking at the credit card account every day

Not my practice either, but I don't have many transactions.

Logging in on the phone is much quicker than on a PC once you set it up to recognise your fingerprint. I've just timed it and it takes 6 seconds.

Yours was online, but if you use the phone as a contactless card, the transaction appears as soon as the phone can find a wifi signal- or presumably instantly if you have mobile data, which I don't.

Edited by spacecadet

On 25/11/2021 at 16:21, Allan Bell said:

Back from The Pilgrim Hospital in Boston Lincs.  

Shame you had to go that far in any case, but to Boston.......as a native (not something I readily admit nowadays) permit me to apologise for your having to be exposed to it, even briefly..

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Shame you had to go that far in any case, but to Boston.......as a native (not something I readily admit nowadays) permit me to apologise for your having to be exposed to it, even briefly..

Thank you kind sir.

Allan

It's back to mask wearing on public transport and in the shops, due to the new mutation of the Covid virus.  I'd not stopped wearing a mask in these circumstances but many people had.  I guess that I think that this new clear instruction from above  is a good thing, in this situation.

Interesting to see if folk comply.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

It's back to mask wearing on public transport and in the shops, due to the new mutation of the Covid virus.  I'd not stopped wearing a mask in these circumstances but many people had.  I guess that I think that this new clear instruction from above  is a good thing, in this situation.

Interesting to see if folk comply.

I continued to wear masks too, 3 layer when nipping into a shop and better 5 layer FFP2 when catching a mainline train. Am wearing one right now.  Good job I ordered quite a few last week. The price had dropped as hardly anyone had been wearing them, now the price is likely to rise again.

• Like 1

Had a great day in London today. Intended to shoot 3 protests, but came across another 3. Also chatted to 2 photographers I hadn’t seen for a while. One of the protests was outside Downing Street and was just finishing so ignored it. Still clocked 5. Last was in the dark, and it was getting pretty cold. Was great to make it back to Marylebone for the train. Clocked up 15.2km by avoiding the tube. Lots of images to cull later.

Edited by sb photos
  • Love 3

I got my brand new Roomba, a little round vacuum that travels around the floor on its own and cleans, going this morning. I have been interested in one for awhile, but a recent Black Friday sale with $200 off pushed me over. Vacuuming and sweeping is one of the more painful things to do when one has a bad back. Since I’m going to be laid up for awhile after my surgery, it should come in handy. I let it go in Echo’s room today, and it cleaned up the feathers and bits she tosses from her cage very well. 

Echo kept a suspicious eye on it for 5 or 10 minutes. Birds turn one eyeball toward something they really want to keenly watch, so I stood watching her and giggling for a bit as she pointed left eye/right eye.  When I told her “It’s OK”, the safety phrase, she trusts that implicitly, so went about preening her feathers and ignored it.

The Roomba is cool. It takes itself back to the dock and empties itself when needed, and also when needing a recharge. My floors are spotless.

• Love 1

• Alamy locked this topic