Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

So following the catastrophic failure of our cooker glass door panel on Saturday, we ordered a new one on Sunday.  It arrived today.

A bit of a pig to fit, involving the removal and refitting of spring clips etc, but with cushions on the floor in case of disaster, and the Mrs helping out, the deed was done.

Xmas dinner back on track. 🙂

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I had an oil change and tire rotation done for my Subaru. It was recommended to get a new air filter for the engine. I asked what it would cost extra. $44.00. I asked if it was easy to replace and available at an auto parts shop. The guy gave me a wink and a nod.

My son-in-law bought one for me, I paid for it, and it took him about a minute to install and $12.50.

On another note related to my car, I’ve used “real gas” not the kind with alcohol since my car was new. The mpg was 27.9 consistently.

When my son flew in, I gave him the use of my car to run around. He filled it up with ethanol gas and my mileage dropped 4 mpg.

39 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I had an oil change and tire rotation done for my Subaru. It was recommended to get a new air filter for the engine. I asked what it would cost extra. $44.00. I asked if it was easy to replace and available at an auto parts shop. The guy gave me a wink and a nod.

My son-in-law bought one for me, I paid for it, and it took him about a minute to install and $12.50.

On another note related to my car, I’ve used “real gas” not the kind with alcohol since my car was new. The mpg was 27.9 consistently.

When my son flew in, I gave him the use of my car to run around. He filled it up with ethanol gas and my mileage dropped 4 mpg.

Good news on the air filter, but that fuel consumption is horrendous ! 

Our Skoda Yeti  (2 litre turbo diesel) regularly gets around 50 mpg, while, if driven gently, we've seen 70 mpg.  Being parsimonious, I remove the 3 rear seats when not required, no need to lug around extra unnecessary mass.

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Good news on the air filter, but that fuel consumption is horrendous ! 

Our Skoda Yeti  (2 litre turbo diesel) regularly gets around 50 mpg, while, if driven gently, we've seen 70 mpg.  Being parsimonious, I remove the 3 rear seats when not required, no need to lug around extra unnecessary mass.

It is, but you do realize the US Gallon is a bit more than the UK (Imperial) Gallon?

(wikipedia)

wim

4 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

It is, but you do realize the US Gallon is a bit more than the UK (Imperial) Gallon?

(wikipedia)

wim

I believe the US gallon is smaller in volume than the British gallon. As you can see from the figures in your post.

With a tank full on derv in my VW (65 litres) or (14.298 gallons) I can easily travel over 750 miles.  About 52 - 53 mpg.

Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I believe the US gallon is smaller in volume than the British gallon. As you can see from the figures in your post.

With a tank full on derv in my VW (65 litres) or (14.298 gallons) I can easily travel over 750 miles.  About 52 - 53 mpg.

Allan

Yes you're right. It's more miles to less liters. Always confusing these medieval units.

So it's Betty's 8.43 L/ 100km

And your 5.65 L / 100km

Ours varies a lot from summer to winter: 4.6 in summer to 5.2 now. (/100km)

US MPG to UK MPG Conversion

UK MPG to L/100 KM Conversion

MPG to L/100 KM Conversion (meaning US MPG)

wim

• Like 1

I sometimes become confused when converting imperial to metric and vise versa.

As far as the UK is concerned I wish they would bring back pounds, shillings and pence. Along ounces to the ton. (not tonne). Gills, pints, quarts for liquid measure. I could go on but you know what I mean.

Allan

54 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

As far as the UK is concerned I wish they would bring back pounds, shillings and pence. Along ounces to the ton. (not tonne). Gills, pints, quarts for liquid measure. I could go on but you know what I mean.

Allan

How many rods to the gill does your current horseless carriage get? 🤠

Edited by John Mitchell

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I was taught in the Imperial system at school, converted to SI at Uni, then back to the dark ages when I first started work,  It didn't last.

Very happy with SI for calculations, thanks very much, but, on my allotment, the cabbages are planted 18 ins apart. 🙃

46 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I was taught in the Imperial system at school, converted to SI at Uni, then back to the dark ages when I first started work,  It didn't last.

Very happy with SI for calculations, thanks very much, but, on my allotment, the cabbages are planted 18 ins apart. 🙃

Canada officially went metric in 1976. So far so good, but I still prefer Imperial units for some things -- inches, feet and pounds remain tough to shake.

I tutor kids in math, and most of them now have no idea how many inches there are in a foot or what a gallon or mile is. This means that as soon as they step over the Canada-US border, they are immediately confused. Americans heading north of course have the same problem. My bet is that the USA will never embrace metric. It would probably spark a revolution. 😉

• Love 1

49 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Canada officially went metric in 1976. So far so good, but I still prefer Imperial units for some things -- inches, feet and pounds remain tough to shake.

I tutor kids in math, and most of them now have no idea how many inches there are in a foot or what a gallon or mile is. This means that as soon as they step over the Canada-US border, they are immediately confused. Americans heading north of course have the same problem. My bet is that the USA will never embrace metric. It would probably spark a revolution. 😉

You bet your booties it would. 😁

17 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Guess I'd have to walk a kilometer in your shoes to understand. 🤠

😂

It has to do with old dogs and new tricks, John. Soon as I die, the U.S. is free to convert. 😉

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

The US was completely ready for metric at least three times. In 1792 the US coins went metric. Next year in 1793 Thomas Jefferson ordered the then very new kilo and I believe a meter (co-developed by Benjamin Franklin!) from France, however the ship with the precious cargo was captured by pirates.

In 1866 Congress signed the Metric Act. And in 1875 the US was one of seventeen nations in the Treaty of the Metre.

In 1975 Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act. Because it was in the best interest of the US.

However Ronald Reagan became president and vetoed the Metric Law for being un-American.

Myanmar and Liberia also don't have it. Probably un-Myanmarese and un-Liberianese too. They don't send rockets to Mars however. 

In the end the Federal law did become law, but without being mandatory. Wine and shampoo do have liters and milliliters on the package though, by Federal law since 1994. This time this bit was mandatory. Probably because of the export.

A special mention must go to the very weird 1895 (!) Constitution of Utah: The schools of the state must teach the Metric System.

That constitutions says many funny things. Which reminds me I should upload some images of their Capitol. Did you know spousal privileges are between one man and one woman? Well they are in their Constitution. They have equality for women including voting (1895 remember; for the whole of the US: 1920!). Voting machines are allowed, as long as they are secret (1895!). And as one judge told us: he cannot leave the state for 90 days or he will lose his job. Utah is such an interesting place.

As is Hawaii. No I've never been there, but it may be the first state that breaks away and goes metric. It seems they have a very nice climate too. Hmmm. 😎

wim

• Love 2

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

The US was completely ready for metric at least three times. In 1792 the US coins went metric. Next year in 1793 Thomas Jefferson ordered the then very new kilo and I believe a meter (co-developed by Benjamin Franklin!) from France, however the ship with the precious cargo was captured by pirates.

In 1866 Congress signed the Metric Act. And in 1875 the US was one of seventeen nations in the Treaty of the Metre.

In 1975 Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act. Because it was in the best interest of the US.

However Ronald Reagan became president and vetoed the Metric Law for being un-American.

Myanmar and Liberia also don't have it. Probably un-Myanmarese and un-Liberianese too. They don't send rockets to Mars however. 

In the end the Federal law did become law, but without being mandatory. Wine and shampoo do have liters and milliliters on the package though, by Federal law since 1994. This time this bit was mandatory. Probably because of the export.

A special mention must go to the very weird 1895 (!) Constitution of Utah: The schools of the state must teach the Metric System.

That constitutions says many funny things. Which reminds me I should upload some images of their Capitol. Did you know spousal privileges are between one man and one woman? Well they are in their Constitution. They have equality for women including voting (1895 remember; for the whole of the US: 1920!). Voting machines are allowed, as long as they are secret (1895!). And as one judge told us: he cannot leave the state for 90 days or he will lose his job. Utah is such an interesting place.

As is Hawaii. No I've never been there, but it may be the first state that breaks away and goes metric. It seems they have a very nice climate too. Hmmm. 😎

wim

As usual, you blow me away. Do you have information seeping from your ears and eye sockets?

2 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Utah is such an interesting place.

My grandmother was Mormon, as is my cousin in Salt Lake City. I have genealogical charts going back to ancestors in England before this country existed. Some people here think Mormons still practice polygamy but the church outlawed it more than a century ago. Only a few odd offshoots of the religion still practice it. It was actually important for women in the pioneer days to be under the protection of a man. I know, I know. It sounds creepy but one of my great, great grandmothers was given an offer to become a part of one of those marriages and turned it down. The offer was made in good faith as a help to her. The Mormons were basically chased across the country and built a life in Utah... a remarkably beautiful state. The name of a prison near where my son lives is Purgatory, Hmmmm. Does make sense.

Paulette

• Love 2

Utah is beautiful. We only passed through, but I really enjoyed going through the mountains. Although one of the worst allergy attacks I had was coming down toward Salt Lake City, where we entered a pall of dirty brown smog that hung over the city.
The other time was also coming down the mountains and the same dirty yellow-brown cloud hung over Denver, Colorado. I’m sure that smog is in other cities, but there aren’t high views to see it from. My eyes and nose streamed, and I could barely breathe. We couldn’t leave fast enough.

The good news is that it’s not like that all of the time. We just happened to hit those two cities at a time where the weather trapped the smog. We had made that same drive down to Denver many times coming back from ski trips and only saw that noxious cloud once. I think sometimes the mountains trap it.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

As usual, you blow me away. Do you have information seeping from your ears and eye sockets?

Blush again!

When we lived in the US we had many occasions to think and talk about the metric system, mainly with other expats 😁. And my wife has British relatives.

A while ago meters came up in a discussion here with Edo.

wim

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

My grandmother was Mormon, as is my cousin in Salt Lake City. I have genealogical charts going back to ancestors in England before this country existed. Some people here think Mormons still practice polygamy but the church outlawed it more than a century ago. Only a few odd offshoots of the religion still practice it. It was actually important for women in the pioneer days to be under the protection of a man. I know, I know. It sounds creepy but one of my great, great grandmothers was given an offer to become a part of one of those marriages and turned it down. The offer was made in good faith as a help to her. The Mormons were basically chased across the country and built a life in Utah... a remarkably beautiful state. The name of a prison near where my son lives is Purgatory, Hmmmm. Does make sense.

Paulette

This border town lies partly on the Wyoming and partly on the Idaho side of the border.

Town Sign Freedom Wyoming Idaho border town. Population 100. Elevation 5900 - Stock Image

It got its name from the freedom it gave early Mormon polygamists from having to outrun Idaho law. All they had to do was walk across the street and be in another jurisdiction.

wim

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Utah is beautiful. We only passed through, but I really enjoyed going through the mountains. Although one of the worst allergy attacks I had was coming down toward Salt Lake City, where we entered a pall of dirty brown smog that hung over the city.
The other time was also coming down the mountains and the same dirty yellow-brown cloud hung over Denver, Colorado. I’m sure that smog is in other cities, but there aren’t high views to see it from. My eyes and nose streamed, and I could barely breathe. We couldn’t leave fast enough.

The good news is that it’s not like that all of the time. We just happened to hit those two cities at a time where the weather trapped the smog. We had made that same drive down to Denver many times coming back from ski trips and only saw that noxious cloud once. I think sometimes the mountains trap it.

I've not seen the smog in either. But then again I've only been a couple of times in both.

wim

14 hours ago, Bryan said:

That is the problem in this country. We have a mix of Imperial and SI.  Miles to the Litre for example. When we went over to metric all our road signs were left in Miles. 20 Miles to -------,  30 mph mandatory speed limit. etc.

This confuses some continentals. I was driving behind an obviously foreign registered car in a 40 mph limit zone but they were going slower and checking my speedometer in the car I noted they were actually driving at 40 KILOMETRES/hour.  (equiv 25 mph).

Allan

2 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

That is the problem in this country. We have a mix of Imperial and SI.  Miles to the Litre for example. When we went over to metric all our road signs were left in Miles. 20 Miles to -------,  30 mph mandatory speed limit. etc.

This confuses some continentals. I was driving behind an obviously foreign registered car in a 40 mph limit zone but they were going slower and checking my speedometer in the car I noted they were actually driving at 40 KILOMETRES/hour.  (equiv 25 mph).

Allan

Yes a strange one that, we've had traders prosecuted for selling stuff in Imperial units, fuel is sold by the litre, yet our road speed limits remain in MPH. 

Mind you my favourite Yorkshire pudding recipe calls for 2 eggs, seasoning and 70 g of plain flower and 100 ml of milk, easy to achieve using digital scales. 🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

A bit unfair on anyone under the age of about 55 who has never been taught anything but metric measure, don't you think? But then the old cheating the young seems to have become more popular in the UK lately.

You don't still use 1⅜" film, do you? Or a 0.944-2.756" zoom perchance?

Although you probably didn't learn it at school, we have had decades to introduce ourselves to the metric system. It has only been compulsory in schools since 1974 but I was taught it in the decade before that. We have to live in the modern world.

The only reason the US has backtracked is down to its huge home market. But every single US export has to comply with metric measure in every one of its export markets. And so do we.

There is not much mileage (oops) in arguing otherwise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spacecadet said:

A bit unfair on anyone under the age of about 55 who has never been taught anything but metric measure, don't you think? But then the old cheating the young seems to have become more popular in the UK lately.

You don't still use 1⅜" film, do you? Or a 0.944-2.756" zoom perchance?

Although you probably didn't learn it at school, we have had decades to introduce ourselves to the metric system. It has only been compulsory in schools since 1974 but I was taught it in the decade before that. We have to live in the modern world.

The only reason the US has backtracked is down to its huge home market. But every single US export has to comply with metric measure in every one of its export markets. And so do we.

There is not much mileage (oops) in arguing otherwise.

You have a valid point of course. I have to admit I was not thinking of all the extra work that would be required to train the younger population in the "NEW" imperial systems.

Allan

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

coming from Québec i think we made the transition to metric a bit faster than the rest of country- i guess Imperial was seen as an Anglo system.  I actually had to relearn some imperial stuff when I moved to Ontario in early 90s.  Even though it was supposed to be metric, you would have been hard pressed to go into a cheese shop and order in grams... it was weird that weather forecast still game temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit etc.  

even now the apartment I'm renting has the room temperatures in Celsius, but the oven in Fahrenheit.   

and then we have all the false metric because of shared packaging with the USA.  454g of butter, 340g of coffee (12 ounces)

• Alamy locked this topic