Images sold in December 2019

RF $$ exclusive to Alamy 50% direct, no subagent, sale.

Book, print and/or e-book, up to 25,000, 25 years, Worldwide

This is not the first time this image has sold. I think this image has sold over and over for several reasons:

(1) It makes the point.

(2) The location is not obvious. It could be many places in the world. Book publishers are always interested in selling rights to foreign editions of their book, so generic no obvious location images often find favor.

(3) It is a sensitive subject, but this image is safe to publish. There is no specific identifiable industrial complex in the background that could lead to a protest over misleading insinuation.

I was at this location to make an image of the Toronto skyline across the harbour, when I stumbled over this image. That Toronto Skyline image has not sold.

mallard-duck-feeding-in-floating-garbage

Edited by Bill Brooks
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

This is not the first time this image has sold. I think this image has sold over and over for several reasons:

(1) It makes the point.

(2) The location is not obvious. It could be many places in the world. Book publishers are always interested in selling rights to foreign editions of their book, so generic no obvious location images often find favor.

(3) It is a sensitive subject, but this image is safe to publish. There is no specific identifiable industrial complex in the background that could lead to a protest over misleading insinuation.

I was at this location to make an image of the Toronto skyline across the harbour, when I stumbled over this image. That Toronto Skyline image has not sold.

Those are very good pointers, Bill, especially for the book market, which IME is still the best-paying market overall.

5 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

(1) It makes the point.

Your analyses are always very helpful, especially for us newbies. I was working from the assumption that more specific shots would have a better chance at selling, but this proves otherwise.

14 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

(1) It makes the point.

This is the kind of thinking that makes stock (ie speculative) photography such an interesting challenge: keeping a photographic eye while adopting the mindset of an image-buyer...

• Love 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

(1) It makes the point.

You've made some very valid points, I'm sure it helps potential sales. Just out of interest, as this is a RF image, do you think if it was RM it would have affected the possibility of a sale or the $$?

One use in a single editorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom

Sale $ 5.20 Deduction $ -2.60 Due $ 2.60

Caption: Young woman browsing through vinyl records collection at Karhupuisto pop-up flea market in Kallio district of Helsinki, Finland.

Found it here with reverse image search: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019/nov/16/retro-vintage-shopping-shops-markets-berlin-bilbao-naples-boedeaux-helsinki-vienna

It's under pseudonyme becouse it's a) a candid photo of an innocent individual and b) not a very good one.

young-woman-browsing-through-vinyl-recor

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
Hear! Hear! Changed 'hear' to 'here'.

On 21/12/2019 at 16:57, The Blinking Eye said:

Your analyses are always very helpful, especially for us newbies. I was working from the assumption that more specific shots would have a better chance at selling, but this proves otherwise.

Not to speak for Bill, but you'll notice that he put the location in his caption so that anyone specifically looking for a Mallard duck swimming in Toronto garbage might also license the image. It can go either way.

One of two with same usage today. $$

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Websites, apps, social media & blogs. 5 years Worldwide (excl. advertising) ;  Media: Website - non advertising ;  Industry Sector: Consumer and household goods ;  

CYKMEB.jpg

• Love 1

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Presentation or newsletters ;  Start: 23-December-2019 ; End: 23-December-2024 ;Additional Details: Use in a presentation/talk (eg,Powerpoint and Keynote) or in a newsletter.

animal-rights-activists-in-leicester-square-in-a-cube-of-truth-with-M242PN.jpg

On 22/12/2019 at 05:30, sb photos said:

You've made some very valid points, I'm sure it helps potential sales. Just out of interest, as this is a RF image, do you think if it was RM it would have affected the possibility of a sale or the $$?

My experience is RM and RF sell for the same price, but a RF library has a higher number of sales because most clients prefer RF if possible.

As to this particular image, not enough info from the client's brain to say either way.

This image also brings up the element of luck in photography.

It was luck that the duck came along while I was contemplating the skyline with garbage at my feet.

I made use of my luck by first noticing the duck some distance away coming towards me along the shore. I took my mind from the skyline shot. I anticipated in advance that the duck would likely swim through the garbage. I remained motionless so as not to scare the duck away. When the duck was in place, I was already set up with lens, depth of field, shutter speed, composition etc.

This is why an experienced sport photographer will have more luck than a photographer new to the game. The experienced photographer knows the game, selects a unobtrusive background, a shutter speed, a depth of focus, anticipates the action, and is ready for that so called lucky action shot that makes the front page.

Lots of luck in photography, but some photographers make more luck than others.

Think think think, anticipate, anticipate, anticipate, be mind ready.

• Like 4

On 20/12/2019 at 15:43, wiskerke said:

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/E6BWN8/priest-hearing-confession-in-confessional-box-booth-in-roman-catholic-E6BWN8.jpg

And some more here. UKNS - yes; fillers for very small stockings only.  - $

Priest hearing confession.

wim

When I first glimpsed this image, Wim, I thought it was a pub window. The Sisters of Charity would be very unhappy with me. 😟

Edited by Ed Rooney
mistake

Milestone denoting 42 miles to Aberdeen from Ballater, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom, Europe..

milestone-denoting-42-miles-to-aberdeen-from-ballater-C86B3M.jpg

Usage: Personal use, Personal prints, cards and gifts. Non-commercial use only, not for resale.
Media: Non-commercial, one time, personal/home use
Start: 23 December 2019
End: 23 December 2024

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Presentation or newsletter. This poor bear was waiting for us to leave! Nice to get a sale from it. I've always liked it.

F3K90N.jpg

Alaskan Brown Bear in Lake Clark National Park.

Paulette

Bears have been beary beary good to you, especially the polars!

Four sales in today, including:

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: iQ sale: Magazine, editorial print and digital use,  up to 1/8 page, repeat use within a single issue ;  Industry Sector: Media, design & publishing ;  Start: 24-December-2019 ; End: 24-December-2021

st-trinians-girl-being-naughty-at-the-goodwood-revival-poking-tongue-out-pulling-a-face-blowing-raspberry-space-for-copy-PJ0AX5.jpg

• Love 1