How was your 2018 (and December!)

OK, staying in and waiting for Jools Holland to start (UK reference, sorry to those outside the UK!)

Despite a lot of moaning from me about low prices and licensing abuse (expect this to expand to include references to % in the New Year!), 2018 was my best year here, both in number of licenses and $ totals. I actually passed my 2017 totals around June, then things slowed considerably. The average licence value ,though, slipped yet again to its lowest ever (~$36 gross). Sale volume was helped and sales value was helped considerably by my first Live News sales. At least I know where my future efforts should be directed here on Alamy! 

December saw 4 sales for $129, the last of which appears to be a relicense of an abused presentation sale (I've yet to confirm this with Alamy). The total for the year was 54 sales for $1,945.

Edit: Happy and prosperous New Year to all! 

December: 23 for $760, continuing a modest increase month on month since July. 2018: 203 for $6757, a reasonable jump on 2017 but largely due to increase in portfolio, one would assume. Average gross per licence 2017: $33.06 2018: $33.29. Welcome surprise.

2 sales for December for $175 gross

this is my best year for number of sales but the total revenue is down from last year

unfortunately this has been the trend the past 2 years, namely number of sales is up, but revenue is down

December was a good month with 12 sales (average) for $847 gross (above average). Three $$$ sales (thanks, Alamy) and some solid $$ ones in the mix. Despite a sizeable balance in the kitty, this will be the first month in many moons that I won't see a payout. Bummer.

I ended up with 10 sales less than last year. Nonetheless, 2018 was my second best year for sales (after 2017), but certainly not for revenue, which continues to trend downward.

Not looking forward to the upcoming commission "haircut" but shall have to adapt.

Happy New Year everyone. Time for a drink (or two perhaps)...

December saw 7 sales for $254 gross, I'd say lower $ than normal but number of sales about average.

2018 was my best year yet, by a long shot.  I managed 82 sales for $3,680 gross, which I'm very pleased with, considering my small port.  As a comparison, 2017 was 39 sales for $1,368 gross and 2016, my first year, was 5 for $346 gross.  Onwards and upwards!

December very poor, even compared to my own previous Decembers. 4 sales for $31.24 net.

2018 second best year for earnings, but still $27 below 2013, when my port was half what it is now.

Current strategy re-evaluated and found wanting.

New strategy starting today, which is actually reverting to my previous modus operandi (splitting stock between micro, where I earn more, and here). Different files, and still RM here.

Good luck everyone, and hold onto your hats. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

December -  6 licences for $530.30, including 3 over $$$.

2018 - number of sales up over 40% from 67 in 2017, to 94 in 2018. Sadly, gross revenue only $59 better than 2017. $4,087 in 2017 increasing to $4,146 in 2018. Average licence fee 2018 $44.10, down from $61.00 in 2017.

191 images added in 2018.

December 14 sales slightly less than average for the year. Best $191, but a distributor sale.

While many of my sales tend to be of local subjects December bucked that trend, don't know if this is a blip or start of a new trend.

UK 6

USA 3

France 2

Portugal 1

Italy 1

Holland 1

2018 was disappointing. From 2007 to 2017 I saw a steady growth in sales numbers in every year, but 2018 was down below the 2016 figure. I'm down 16% on sales volume compared to 2017 and down 22% on gross income. I suspect that my net income is down further as I have been seeing a greater proportion of distributor sales this year. Gross per sale is down by 7.2%, despite a very welcome $822 sale earlier in 2018.

The  good news is that I am still in the land of the living and will be paying less photo related tax this year!  :)

27 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The  good news is that I am still in the land of the living and will be paying less photo related tax this year!  :)

Same here, Bryan!!

December was disappointing with just 2 sales. Views were 3726, zooms 15, and CTR at 0.40.

2018 produced a new record sales quantity beating last years record by 1!! Income, however, was down 20%. All this despite uploading another 1K+ images.

Time to do something different in 2019!!

At the risk of appearing to gloat, I can report a record year, up on last year, which itself had been a record.

Sales volume +33%

Sales Revenue +66%

Average sale price +26%, partly helped by highest value license ever ($950)

Still quite small overall figures - not enough income yet to retire!

Probably just luck. But I did spend many hours improving tagging in AIM and became more critical of my own work, selecting fewer, but better quality images for uploading.

Happy New Year everybody.

A rather disappointing 19 sales averaging out at $19 each. Highest $97, lowest $*.** (I'll leave to your imagination). I'm guessing that December is normally quite slow because of the extended holiday period?

December was OK - 6 sales for $211 gross though 2 were dubious PU and 1 a distributor. Views and zooms well down though.

For the year overall 50 for $1714 gross - both sales and revenue down on last year. For contrast I looked back over the years and realised that my second best year for revenue was actually way back in 2007 when a mere 12 sales generated $1946 gross. Demonstrates just how far prices have fallen!

December: 6 sales for $86, while the sales are slightly above average, the average price continues to fall to a degree if this was the yearly average it would no longer be worthwhile continuing to upload.

2018: Sales and revenue up 26% but images up 75%. Best year in regard to amount of sales but still way behind by best year in revenue (2011).

20 sales in December for $423 gross, slightly below average for the year.

2018 was my fifth year on Alamy and to stock photography.  I added 1376 images before the recent news but have stalled uploading for the last couple of months while I looked at my options.  Overall the year was a good one by my standards.  I'm still in a growth phase for sales volume and revenue with 275 sales (2017: 175) producing $5900 gross (2017: $4517) from those sales.  DACs added another $153 to produce a nett of $2995, a welcome addition to my pension income but one that any would be pro could well be discouraged by.  

My thanks to all who contribute in detail to this and the monthly How was your? threads.  The information provided has helped me - and no doubt others - get a feeling for the health of the stock business beyond my own experience.  Doom and gloom might be evident in some cases but it's good to also hear about the success of others.  Happy and prosperous 2018 to you all.

December - very disappointing.

2018 - best year ever on Alamy.

My previous best year was 2012 (when I had exactly 1/3 of the images on file I do now) before the commission changed. It has taken this long to beat that total.

However, total income is up, number of sales is up by over 100 on last year and the number of pics per sale (sales per pic if you prefer) has improved.

Average fee has dropped marginally but did not continue the cliff-edge fall I've seen over the previous five or six years.

So, with one very obvious exception, 2019 looks potentially promissing.

Three more months to get 30,000 images checked and exclusivitised.

12 sales for $299. Better than last December, but a much slower month than the last few.

I can't compare 2018 to previous years as I was really just getting going and learning the ropes in 2017. 134 sales for gross $5714, which is not a bad average. Only one distributor sale, fortunately, and no refunds that weren't bought for a different price. 

Archived