Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

44 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Went to the Apple Store

All Apple stores globally are closed until March 27th, except (amazingly) for all the 42 stores in China which have now re-opened. I heard a commentator yesterday say that he doubted very much that the Chinese government were telling the truth about their success in battling the coronavirus. This rather suggests that they are telling the truth.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/21177964/apple-stores-china-reopened-coronavirus-covid-19

Edit:

I have to admit that it was a huge surprise to me that they had 42 stores in China, but they do:

https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/storelist/

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I find this article very reassuring and sort of understand the reasoning. 

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Interview

Corona Is Slowing Down, Humanity Will Survive, Says Biophysicist Michael Levitt

thanks nice read.  I would probably feel more reassured if I saw people around taking the social distancing guideline more seriously.  I have a friend who said on Saturday she was one of the rare one to not attend a 400 person celebration of life (ironic), with plenty of seniors..... i had friends last week who were having big restaurant gatherings in France to "beat the curfew"...  I have acquaintance who beat the requirement, and gloat about it, for self isolation returning 12 hours before.....  what do you think changed in those 12 hours.....

I see full concerts in the UK still happening....  

19 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Thanks for posting. I would assume that the models the boffins use include the fact that everyone only tends to have a limited number of regular contacts. But who knows.

I think there are other reasons to be optimistic too.  They keep saying that it will take 12-18 months before a vaccine is ready. I think much of the delay is, not how long it takes to develop a vaccine (they have at least one candidate ready for test already), but more to do with how long it takes to do all the testing and prove it's safe to human use particularly as the restrictions on medicines given to healthy folks are more stringent than those which can are used to treat the dying. But... if there's one country that can muster the resources and cut through "red tape" it's China. Who would have believed they could build those hospitals in days? (Who said they don't care about people?). In the UK we'd still be doing surveys to find out if there were any crested newts or bats on the proposed site... Human trials could be carried out on elderly volunteers first as they have the most to gain from immunity. The Chinese authorities know that the current lockdown has only bought them time. The virus is still around and will "explode" again if lockdown measures are relaxed too far. So they must be searching for a more long term solution (a vaccine) so that life and business can return to normal.

I also saw a story today that first human trial of a vaccine in the USA is about to start. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51906604

Mark

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Just made my weekly trip to the grocery...was going to go yesterday figuring it would nuts then but I think it was just as nuts today!  Did not take any photos...probably should have.  I did not do any panic buying or hoard, got my usual stuff (if it was there).  The aisles that were empty were: water, canned food, frozen veggies, much of the fresh meat and of course all paper products!  I hope when I go back next week, it will be more sane and shelves restocked....I know, don't kid myself 🤪

It was just announced today that my state (Maryland) has made it mandatory that all restaurants, bars and gyms must closed until further notice...restaurants can only stay open to serve carry out or delivery food...no dining in.  So I think that added to the rush of hoarders at the grocery stores.

If you need paper products try a small deli or bodega. One in Greenwich Village has lots and I think most hoarders have hit the big grocery stores.

Paulette

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Thanks for posting. I would assume that the models the boffins use include the fact that everyone only tends to have a limited number of regular contacts. But who knows.

I think there are other reasons to be optimistic too.  They keep saying that it will take 12-18 months before a vaccine is ready. I think much of the delay is, not how long it takes to develop a vaccine (they have at least one candidate ready for test already), but more to do with how long it takes to do all the testing and prove it's safe to human use particularly as the restrictions on medicines given to healthy folks are more stringent than those which can are used to treat the dying. But... if there's one country that can muster the resources and cut through "red tape" it's China. Who would have believed they could build those hospitals in days? (Who said they don't care about people?). In the UK we'd still be doing surveys to find out if there were any crested newts or bats on the proposed site... Human trials could be carried out on elderly volunteers first as they have the most to gain from immunity. The Chinese authorities know that the current lockdown has only bought them time. The virus is still around and will "explode" again if lockdown measures are relaxed too far. So they must be searching for a more long term solution (a vaccine) so that life and business can return to normal.

I also saw a story today that first human trial of a vaccine in the USA is about to start. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51906604

Mark

It will still be at least a year for a vaccine, not something to rush to market without extensive testing. One of the swine flu vaccines was shown to have a direct link to narcolepsy for example and was eventually taken off the market at different rates in different countries I recall. 

Here is another Vaccine story from today in The Guardian. 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

It will still be at least a year for a vaccine, not something to rush to market without extensive testing. One of the swine flu vaccines was shown to have a direct link to narcolepsy for example and was eventually taken off the market at different rates in different countries I recall. 

Here is another Vaccine story from today in The Guardian. 

Hopefully vaccine development has improved in the 10 years since then. Given the scale of the current problem I think a speedy solution is going to be critical. 

Mark

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Interview

Corona Is Slowing Down, Humanity Will Survive, Says Biophysicist Michael Levitt

Nobel laureate and Stanford professor Michael Levitt unexpectedly became a reassuring figure in China at the peak of the coronavirus pandemic. Now he assures Israelis: statistics show the virus is on a downturn

Great article, and yes very reassuring. Thank you! 

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

a few stores in Canada are now opening an hour early just for Seniors,  so they can go in a "safer" environment, and possibly with more filled shelves.  I hope this catches on

Yes, a very positive move that the chain of 'Iceland' stores in the UK has begun to implement, too.

A friend works in a major supermarket here. She tells me that they are currently getting deliveries of around half a dozen bottles of hand sanitizer each day (!), but they are not putting any on the shelves. Along with other highly limited stock of essential products, they are only sold to older customers who specifically ask staff if they have any stock, or if staff see seniors who are looking a little bewildered and in need of help. Good to see.

Edited by losdemas
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Whenever disaster strikes, we have our faith in humanity restored. Two of my neighbors have offered to shop for me, and my son-in-law has helped me in other ways besides offering to shop, along with a grandson. That’s 4 wonderful people who care.

My neighbor across the back fence seems to have adopted me as her “other mother”.
These things are going on across the world.

A young 30 year old woman with Lupis was handing out free hand sanitizer to seniors as they neared the door of a pharmacy here in my town. She must’ve bought a supply early on.

Betty

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Yes, a very positive move that the chain of 'Iceland' stores in the UK has begun to implement, too.

A friend works in a major supermarket here. She tells me that they are currently getting deliveries of around half a dozen bottles of hand sanitizer each day (!), but they are not putting any on the shelves. Along with other highly limited stock of essential products, they are only sold to older customers who specifically ask staff if they have any stock, or if staff see seniors who are looking a little bewildered and in need of help. Good to see.

Hand sanitiser is not necessary if there is access to good ole soap and water. Soap is apparently more effective than hand sanitiser at killing the virus. It is probably not as hard on the skin either. But the hand sanitiser madness appears to have taken hold. 

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, MDM said:

Hand sanitiser is not necessary if there is access to good ole soap and water. Soap is apparently more effective than hand sanitiser at killing the virus. It is probably not as hard on the skin either. But the hand sanitiser madness appears to have taken hold. 

I have none. But I would like a bottle for my car when I’m forced to go out like today, to use immediately upon exiting a shop.

• Love 3

So my daughter just got home from her 12 hour nursing shift at the local hospital (the very one where I  was born!) and she was more stressed than usual.  I asked what was going on and she said her boss just told her to prepare for the possibility of living at the hospital for a while!  They have set up a military style medical tent outside the hospital, for patients. Doctors think that within a week or so it could really get rough.  So while most everyone else is asked to stay home and shelter in place, she is being asked to live in the “trenches”.  I am proud of her but of course worried as well.  At least, if all goes well, she will have stories to tell to her eventual children.

Edited by Michael Ventura
  • Love 2

I’m so sorry, Michael. It’s tough to watch our children deal with situations like this, while on the other hand, we’re so proud of their accomplishments. Your daughter, and all those in the medical profession, are champions in my book. We could never survive without them. Best of luck to you and your family. 

Edited by Cecile Marion
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

So my daughter just got home from her 12 hour nursing shift at the local hospital (the very one where I  was born!) and she was more stressed than usual.  I asked what was going on and she said her boss just told her to prepare for the possibility of living at the hospital for a while!  They have set up a military style medical tent outside the hospital, for patients. Doctors think that within a week or so it could really get rough.  So while most everyone else is asked to stay home and shelter in place, she is being asked to live in the “trenches”.  I am proud of her but of course worried as well.  At least, if all goes well, she will have stories to tell to her eventual children.

Wow, that's a tough one. All healthcare workers are especially at risk. Luckily, they are trained and well-equipped to protect themselves. Youth will also be on her side.

12 minutes ago, BobD said:

I see on the news this morning people are panic buying guns in America. !

And people are panic buying cannabis in Holland. Different places, different people.

• Love 1

Two different stories on the rush to buy guns in the US using very graphic, very similar pictures of queues outside the same establishment by different photographers:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

They seem to have been taken from some distance away, I think I would keep my distance if I was photographing people queuing up to buy assault weapons, puts photographing empty toilet roll shelves in Waitrose into perspective.

Edit: Actually from the position of the people in the queue they were taken at almost the same time.

Edited by Harry Harrison
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

Two different stories on the rush to buy guns in the US using very graphic, very similar pictures of queues outside the same establishment by different photographers:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/us-sales-guns-ammunition-soar-amid-coronavirus-panic-buying

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-15/coronavirus-pandemic-gun-sales-surge-us-california

They seem to have been taken from some distance away, I think I would keep my distance if I was photographing people queuing up to buy assault weapons, puts photographing empty toilet roll shelves in Waitrose into perspective.

Edit: Actually from the position of the people in the queue they were taken at almost the same time.

How terrifying. 

They are not afraid of the virus they are afraid of their fellow citizens and don't trust their government. 

I don't think there is any need to say more, what a statement about a country. 

And I see that the great orange one is busy looking to find others to blame for this 'foreign' problem. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 3
  • Like 3

I personally don't intend to restart my long-ago career in photojournalism. But already there is only this on subject, this one story. And we've all seen the snaps of empty street and supermarket shelves. How might someone take a picture of an empty corporate bank account? 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I personally don't intend to restart my long-ago career in photojournalism. But already there is only this on subject, this one story. And we've all seen the snaps of empty street and supermarket shelves. How might someone take a picture of an empty corporate bank account? 

I don't intend to shoot any shots of empty shelves in supermarkets; I'm sure we have enough already.

But, thinking more laterally, there are so so many other ideas... which can be translated in a visual way: self-isolation, social-distancing, communicating with family via Skype and Facetime, etc...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Abiyoyo said:

Is there a drastic reduction of viewing images recently due to covid-19? My latest number show that.

I was just about to post the same finding. My latest views are dramatically down. 

30 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

I don't intend to shoot any shots of empty shelves in supermarkets; I'm sure we have enough already.

But, thinking more laterally, there are so so many other ideas... which can be translated in a visual way: self-isolation, social-distancing, communicating with family via Skype and Facetime, etc...

..... also the next phase: activities possible, things to do close to home as people will be less inclined to travel.....  and yes business impacted (e.g.i am uploading any cruiseship i have that have none in the database).