Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Under the circumstances, I took down the picture of me smiling. 

Went to the Apple Store, Boots Pharmacy, and the M&S Foodhall today. Apple was closed. I was able to upload some images to Alamy using their wifi from outside the door. I wonder if Alamy will close. Picked up my new eyeglasses at Boots. The staff was using hand sanitiser between customers. But they had none to sell and they had no masks either. I got my month's supply of Rx meds yesterday.

No loo paper at M&S. (I bought some last week.) They had food on the shelves but not everything I wanted. They had no blueberry muffins. No blueberry muffins for the last three days!!! Does Boris know about this?

The solitary days and nights that medical folks are suggesting for all has in fact been my normal life for the past two years. In addition, I wash my hands a lot and am careful what I touch when I'm out. 

I have been building up a steady supply of used loo roll if you need to buy some. Might even have a couple of sheets of blueberry muffin.

• Love 1

I heard from one of my cat-sitting clients today. She wanted to know how I feel about working now but also offered to help if I needed something. She is the same one who offered to help me with the cost of my cancer treatment. I am happy to keep working and am losing work because of the virus. That client has cancelled some small trips and probably will have to cancel a big one to Israel at the end of May. Losing $$$$. On a brighter note, someone I don't know in my building has posted her cell number and an offer to help if anyone can't get out to shop for groceries. I have probably passed her in the hall many times but have not known her name. So people definitely are stepping up.

Paulette

• Love 1

Empty streets shots need to link with the virus or somehow demonstrate that it is NOW.

Many could quite easily, even of places like Piccadilly Circus,  have been taken on a summer Sunday morning.

Mind you so could other shots that come easily to mind.

Person sitting staring out of window?

Person obviously alone on the phone?

Delivering shopping to elderly person who is opening the door as deliverer walks away?

Also, positive things such as getting on with a hobby, reading, doing something enriching and slow.

The ones that don't come so easily to mind are probably worth keeping to oneself ( if I think of some!) 😁

By the way visiting medieval churches seems to be okay as far as self-isolation goes - they were open today - some I am the first one in the visitor book for 2020. And so many treasures....

Edited by geogphotos
  • Love 2

I telephoned my former business today , a luggage company I founded in 1969, out of concern to how the crisis is affecting them.

https://www.goplaces.co.uk/

Needless to say being a travel related business it is having a dramatic effect on them. They are holding a meeting tomorrow with the view that the majority of staff will have to take unpaid leave. They are such nice people, it worries me how many small businesses will go to the wall over this.

In the unlikely event anyone needs luggage I whole heartily recommend them.

As a disclaimer I no longer have any interest in the business. 

Edited by BobD

On 15/03/2020 at 20:14, MDM said:

You might want to make some allowance for Betty. If what she says above is true, then she will literally believe anything. I am not sure that it is true but if it is then .........

Sorry no allowance for comments based on prejudice and ignorance.

China has been my second home for the last few years. While I have some reserves about their government, it's the only country who's helped Italy so far.

US? a Tweet.

• Like 1

I would love suggestions (if anyone has them) for adding keywords to older images to make them more relevant currently. For example, for photos of people alone I've added "self-isolation", "self-isolating" etc. And pictures of people standing far apart I've added "social distancing" Any other ideas? And I apologize if this has already been brought up and I missed it. It's a long thread and I skipped over parts of it 😬

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

By the way visiting medieval churches seems to be okay as far as self-isolation goes - they were open today - some I am the first one in the visitor book for 2020. And so many treasures....

The Church of England is "suspending all services" today. More than two dozen people will be inconvenienced...

• Love 1

1 hour ago, CarloBo said:

Sorry no allowance for comments based on prejudice and ignorance.

Yes. Ignorance is not an excuse and education is required. Racism is a terrible blight on our world. It is a difficult one sometimes though knowing how to deal with it. I have racist neighbours who don't seem to realise they are racists. They use racist and bigoted language about my other Pakistani neighbours which I find despicable. I am no wimp when it comes to racism or bigotry but I don't wish to fall out with neighbours so I just ignore them and keep away.  That would change if they were bigoted towards me but they are not to my face at least.  Being Irish I have experienced bigotry in Britain in the past but not for a long time now as there are lots of other foreigners for the bigots to target nowadays. They are a minority but not an insignificant one unfortunately. 

• Love 1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I find this article very reassuring and sort of understand the reasoning. 

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/articles/0,7340,L-3800632,00.html

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Interview

Corona Is Slowing Down, Humanity Will Survive, Says Biophysicist Michael Levitt

Nobel laureate and Stanford professor Michael Levitt unexpectedly became a reassuring figure in China at the peak of the coronavirus pandemic. Now he assures Israelis: statistics show the virus is on a downturn

This is somewhat reassuring. However, I think that the USA especially is a ticking time-bomb at the moment for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Things are going to get a heck of a lot worse there before they start getting better. I sincerely hope I'm totally wrong about this.

Also, I have a feeling that Russia is under-reporting cases, probably for political reasons, and it has about 150 million people. Who knows what's really happening there. And then there's Africa...

Speaking of NYC, my daughter, who has been holed up in her Lower Manhattan studio apartment, will be coming to stay with me for awhile. Normally, I think she’d hold off a bit before leaving, but her best friend, who is also from our North Florida town, has a (non-viral) family medical emergency. Since the friend has rented a car to drive south first thing in the morning, my daughter and her dog will be coming down, too. Her only concern is the possibility of sharing germs with me, but my health is good, so I’ll take my chances. I’ll be happy to have her here, and can maybe take some pictures of an overly stressed millennial working remotely. She’ll be thrilled. 😎

31 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

This is somewhat reassuring. However, I think that the USA especially is a ticking time-bomb at the moment for a number of reasons that I won't get into. Things are going to get a heck of a lot worse there before they start getting better. I sincerely hope I'm totally wrong about this.

and with the US  a time-bomb, i feel sorry for Mexico, their system will not be able to handle any escalation of the virus  

Edited by meanderingemu

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Yes. Ignorance is not an excuse and education is required. Racism is a terrible blight on our world. It is a difficult one sometimes though knowing how to deal with it. I have racist neighbours who don't seem to realise they are racists. They use racist and bigoted language about my other Pakistani neighbours which I find despicable. I am no wimp when it comes to racism or bigotry but I don't wish to fall out with neighbours so I just ignore them and keep away.  That would change if they were bigoted towards me but they are not to my face at least.  Being Irish I have experienced bigotry in Britain in the past but not for a long time now as there are lots of other foreigners for the bigots to target nowadays. They are a minority but not an insignificant one unfortunately. 

To get something straight, I am not bigoted. If you were here, you could ask any who has ever known me. My mistake was not saying the Chinese government, meaning because of SARS, should have shut down the wet markets to protect their people from another event like SARS.  I never meant the Chinese people. Sometimes a word gets left out.

My husband and I mixed socially with many people of different races, and had them to dinner, as they did us. In fact, in the south, our landlady rebuked me for having a black person to dinner, even though he was my husband’s best friend.

We actually were discriminated against many years ago when we were temporarily living in California. Because we were from Oklahoma, and some of those people seem to think we were straight out of the book, “The Grapes of Wrath.”  Weird how their eyes and demeanor iced over after asking where we were from. Michael, I’m sure you have experienced that, being Irish. What’s with that? I’m of Irish and Scottish descent.

I see a lot of bigotry in this forum. Especially against America and Americans. You look back at my threads and see if I’ve ever said something derogatory against your country or countrymen.

Now look back at this thread and see if you can say the same.

What surprises me is how many unkind people there are who jump on the least thing, ready to rip people apart. I guess I will always be surprised.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nah. Liverpool is 91% white. 50% have Irish ancestors. New York?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

Back in the day, Ed, Victoria, Texas seemed quite diverse. Maybe that’s because it was the first place I lived that had any diversity.

20 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

To get something straight, I am not bigoted. If you were here, you could ask any who has ever known me. My mistake was not saying the Chinese government, meaning because of SARS, should have shut down the wet markets to protect their people from another event like SARS.  I never meant the Chinese people. Sometimes a word gets left out.

My husband and I mixed socially with many people of different races, and had them to dinner, as they did us. In fact, in the south, our landlady rebuked me for having a black person to dinner, even though he was my husband’s best friend.

We actually were discriminated against many years ago when we were temporarily living in California. Because we were from Oklahoma, and some of those people seem to think we were straight out of the book, “The Grapes of Wrath.”  Weird how their eyes and demeanor iced over after asking where we were from. Michael, I’m sure you have experienced that, being Irish. What’s with that? I’m of Irish and Scottish descent.

I see a lot of bigotry in this forum. Especially against America and Americans. You look back at my threads and see if I’ve ever said something derogatory against your country or countrymen.

What surprises me is how many unkind people there are who jump on the least thing, ready to rip people apart. I guess I will always be surprised.

Betty

It's not a question of bigotry, its facts. Does anyone really believe that these 'wet markets' should still exist after who knows how many thousands will die because of them. Should the world turn a blind eye when it's all over.

Apart from which it wasn't Betty that posted the original text it was me. and I have already apologised if there was any misunderstanding given in the original post.

Betty is right,  there are too many people ready to jump on someone for the smallest mistake.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

Yes, Betty, I can attest to the way "Okie" was used as an insult in California when I was growing up there. Not so much now, I think, at least partly due to the enormous charm of  😗Reba McEntire ☺️..... and you, of course.

Paulette

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BobD said:

It's not a question of bigotry, its facts. Does anyone really believe that these 'wet markets' should still exist after who knows how many thousands will die because of them. Should the world turn a blind eye when it's all over.

Apart from which it wasn't Betty that posted the original text it was me. and I have already apologised if there was any misunderstanding given in the original post.

Betty is right,  there are too many people ready to jump on someone for the smallest mistake.

Deleted 

Edited by Thyrsis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Abiyoyo said:

Is there a drastic reduction of viewing images recently due to covid-19? My latest number show that.

My views are as normal, my zooms and CTR are well above my average, however I have no Alamy sales this month.