Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

I was wondering if covid-19 disease outbreak can influence (negatively) photo sales worldwide by stock agencies somehow. Most of my photos here on Alamy are travel related, for example. Consequently, being tourism industry is one of the main victims of coronavirus outbreak I expect to see a partial drop of my sales in the next few weeks. Or not? It would be interesting to hear here anyone enough old on Alamy to let us know his direct experiences about sales during difficult times such as the 9/11 or the 2008 global economical crisis.

What are your thoughts about it?

Stefano

Travel Photographer

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, stipe said:

I was wondering if covid-19 disease outbreak can influence (negatively) photo sales worldwide by stock agencies somehow. Most of my photos here on Alamy are travel related, for example. Consequently, being tourism industry is one of the main victims of coronavirus outbreak I expect to see a partial drop of my sales in the next few weeks. Or not? It would be interesting to hear here anyone enough old on Alamy to let us know his direct experiences about sales during difficult times such as the 9/11 or the 2008 global economical crisis.

What are your thoughts about it?

Stefano

Travel Photographer

Stefano, your conclusion sounds feasible. Not only will it likely effect tourism related sales, but as photographers consider the dangers, will they potentially put their lives at risk for relatively small returns to add to their ports? Only time will tell what the eventual outcome will be.

12 minutes ago, CarloBo said:

We're not even allowed to go out unless necessary here...stock sales are the least of our worries.

I was supposed to go for a 9-day shooting in Rome and Amalfi this weekend but then Alitalia canceled my flight from Barcelona as part of Spanish decision to block every flight to and from Italy. In the meanwhile, things got worse in Italy with Govt. decision to shut down everything so I'm glad to remain safe at home. 

Tenete duro in Italia! Un abbraccio solidale per quello che state passando!

Stefano

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, stipe said:

I was supposed to go for a 9-day shooting in Rome and Amalfi this weekend but then Alitalia canceled my flight from Barcelona as part of Spanish decision to block every flight to and from Italy. In the meanwhile, things got worse in Italy with Govt. decision to shut down everything so I'm glad to remain safe at home. 

Stefano

Stefano,

don't wait for the governement or airlines to tell you what to do.

Everyone must do their part, if that means staying home, canceling a trip etc

it's a small sacrifice in the big scheme of things.

Un abbraccio anche a voi.

Ca

• Like 3

There is a well known correlation between national and global economic activity and stock sales.  The worldwide economy is, arguably, heading for a massive economic shock and recession so we can reasonably  expect a drop off in stock and news sales.  

It has already been pointed out that newspaper and newspaper production will be hit with a double whammy, people not going out to buy and reporters, photographers, printers etc not going to work hitting production and sales.

I feel for anyone who is directly affected by what the WHO have now categorised as a pandemic (and, of course, in the weeks to come, that could be any of us... and some of us are not as young as we used to be 😟).

Stock picture requirements will change, of course, and there will be opportunities to reflect the societal changes in our imagery. We are part of the unfolding story, just like the journalists and news media...

• Like 1

Our image of empty supermarket shelves hasn’t sold yet......🙁

On a more serious note we have a trip to Tenerife booked for April. If we go I then won’t be allowed into my mother’s care home for 14 days afterwards which means she won’t have a visitor for 3 weeks. Tricky decision....

23 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Our image of empty supermarket shelves hasn’t sold yet......🙁

On a more serious note we have a trip to Tenerife booked for April. If we go I then won’t be allowed into my mother’s care home for 14 days afterwards which means she won’t have a visitor for 3 weeks. Tricky decision....

By April, the decision might be taken out of your hands.

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

...and there will be opportunities to reflect the societal changes in our imagery.

My local pharmacy, illustrating the state of our health services which seems a million miles away from the words that get spouted in government on days such as today:

2A6T5MP.jpg

• Love 1

6 hours ago, stipe said:

Stefano

Teniamo duro Stefano, ci puoi scommettere!
Back in topic, as I said, I had to cancel a travel to Amsterdam to do an extensive coverage of the city's architecture I have planned months ago. I don't want to take photos of the current situation here in my hometown, which is the very centre of the virus outbreak in Italy, first because I deem it unethical, second because it is dangerous. We have been all instructed to stay home, period. I go out just to buy food and medicines.
Obviously, in my photo niches, which are travels, art and architecture, the current pandemy will have a big impact, definitely. Who are currenly planning their vacation abroad, now? No vacations=no travel articles= no travel photos.
Yet, photography is a negligible source of income for me.But, I am an architect, and the construction industry has completely stalled here. I am also having problems to deliver a project to Ireland as scheduled, because parcel couriers in Lombardy are stopping their services too.

Edited by riccarbi

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I have to go by the NHS tomorrow to see about my monthly meds. So far here in Liverpool all seems normal. 

Have you been in a supermarket today Ed? We did a shop today for my 98 year old mother in law (she wanted to go to Tesco but we wouldn’t let her!) and several shelves are now bare... toilet rolls, pasta and baked beans, all gone!!

I can understand a few extra packages of pasta and maybe frozen stuff for the freezer as back-up, but bundles of loo rolls...I really don't get it! Milk freezes OK and eggs keep really well. I always meant to learn to bake bread, maybe this is the time!

I went to M&S Foodhall after having lunch at Cote. There were about the same number of customers as any day and I didn't notice any shortages on the shelves. I'll take a look in the nearby Tesco tomorrow. Now I'm worried about your wife's mom. 

My pharmacy has been trying to order some of my meds all week. I used up the last of my migraine medicine this morning. I need two more shots tomorrow if it comes back, if not, I could end up in the ER, taking space from people because I can't get a prescription even if I'm willing to pay for it if my insurance won't. It is really scary right now. If I run out of other meds, I could have serious problems as some can't just be stopped. At least with the migraine medicine the worst case is more migraines, with others if I had to stop suddenly....very bad. 

Edited by Marianne

As far as meds go, I had to drive to another town to get my refill. I’ve put in for my heart med refill today, I’ll see if that’s available in the next day or two.

if this teaches us anything, it should be for us to not depend on China for the medicines that keep us going. Especially considering the poor hygiene with all those exotic and domestic animals starting new unheard-of viruses. It could happen again and again. It has already.

I guess that’s one way to depopulate the world.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

My pharmacy has been trying to order some of my meds all week. I used up the last of my migraine medicine this morning. I need two more shots tomorrow if it comes back, if not, I could end up in the ER, taking space from people because I can't get a prescription even if I'm willing to pay for it if my insurance won't. It is really scary right now. If I run out of other meds, I could have serious problems as some can't just be stopped. At least with the migraine medicine the worst case is more migraines, with others if I had to stop suddenly....very bad. 

Marianne, call outlying towns, smaller ones, and see if they have it in stock. Transfer your prescription if they do. That’s what I had to do. If your taking estrogen and progesterone, maybe stop it. You might trade hot flashes for migraines. I did. Hot flashes are miserable but they don’t hurt. 😄

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

We did a shop today for my 98 year old mother in law (she wanted to go to Tesco but we wouldn’t let her!) and several shelves are now bare... toilet rolls, pasta and baked beans, all gone!!

I did my shopping as usual yesterday in Sainsburys and there was little sign of panic. Bogroll stocks were low but not non-existent. I bought baked beans and pasta and the stocks appeared quite normal. But then this is Yorkshire - apparently folk don't panic round here ;)

The only completely empty shelf was the Radio Times. Are people expressing their opinion of the BBC by using it as toilet paper?

Alan

10 hours ago, Marianne said:

None of that sounds good.

Marianne, I used to get terrible attacks of common migraine, where you wake up with it and are unable to form sentences. On the week of my 50th birthday, I had those attacks three times . . . but I have not had a migraine or even a headache since then. ??? My 50th was a long time ago. 

I'll see what Rx meds the NHS have for me this morning.

Edited by Ed Rooney

Everything was undramatic and more-or-less normal at my local Tesco and the NHS. The NHS will have my five meds ready tomorrow. But this situation will be changing everyday.

I took advantage of the quiet day and stopped into my Kurdish barber shop. I told a new guy "short" but operantly that must be like the Kurdish word for "bald."  🤨

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Everything was undramatic and more-or-less normal at my local Tesco and the NHS. The NHS will have my five meds ready tomorrow. But this situation will be changing everyday.

I took advantage of the quiet day and stopped into my Kurdish barber shop. I told a new guy "short" but operantly that must be like the Kurdish word for "bald."  🤨

:lol: keep your watch cap handy!