Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

1 hour ago, BobD said:

I don't think there is much the government can do, closing the whole country down is not the answer, as you said the virus is out there.

People have to take responsibility for themselves and family, if you are at all worried there is nothing stopping you from doing for yourself what you think the government should be doing.

The simple fact is that the UK government is taking a completely different approach to just about every other government in Europe. We shall see how things turn out. 

Schools are known to be an a hotbed for virus transmission. Public transport is another. The idea is to slow it down so the health services can cope better and that transmission will be slower in the summer months. My wife is a teacher so I have a special interest in schools. I still expect to get it from somewhere or other at some point but would rather put off the eventful day as long as possible and hope that it is not very serious or fatal..

The sports bodies have taken it upon themselves to do the sensible thing and suspend all major events. But the government is effectively treating it as business as usual. Herd immunity is the goal and they are not even going to bother testing anyone except to confirm very likely cases. The actual number of cases is way more than those confirmed so any figures on fatality rates or the current state of play are essentially meaningless. A cynic might suspect economic reasons at the heart of this approach.

Even the US is likely to call a state of emergency (whatever that will entail) now that Mr T has finally realised it is not a hoax and is worried about having been in close contact with Mr B from Brazil who has been confirmed positive. What did I say about waiting until one gets a real slap in the face. Maybe if you get it yourself you won't be so gracious towards the goverment's approach. 

Edited by MDM

32 minutes ago, BobD said:

According to that map we haven't got any infections in the UK. If only.

Much will depend on how rigorous countries are in testing to give that country a count. Italy and Spain in particular seem to be locking down hot spots and testing people as they move in and out. We don't really know how we're doing in the UK without testing, but we can be pretty sure that if high profile tested people are contracting it then logically it's in society too.

7 minutes ago, Avpics said:

Much will depend on how rigorous countries are in testing to give that country a count. Italy and Spain in particular seem to be locking down hot spots and testing people as they move in and out. We don't really know how we're doing in the UK without testing, but we can be pretty sure that if high profile tested people are contracting it then logically it's in society too.

It is amazing how many high profile people have tested positive. It makes me think that the numbers could be a lot higher than the 10,000 mooted yesterday in the UK.

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've reported, there is still food and loo paper available here in the centre of Liverpool. Protective masks? Nobody seems to have those. 

"What if" scenarios keep occurring to me. If they start to closedown public places, the Apple Store will close and I will not be able to upload anything to Alamy. My other option, the library, will closedown too. And what about Alamy?

I have had allergy and cough variant asthma for 30 years. It started in Oxfordshire during my last summer there. It visits me every single day . . . but not all day. Don't ask me why but it doesn't visit me when I'm drinking beer. 

Yes, Edo. I just got the email that all the library branches in New York City will be closed til the end of March. Boo hoo.

Paulette

35 minutes ago, MDM said:

The simple fact is that the UK government is taking a completely different approach to just about every other government in Europe. We shall see how things turn out. 

Schools are known to be an a hotbed for virus transmission. Public transport is another. The idea is to slow it down so the health services can cope better and that transmission will be slower in the summer months. My wife is a teacher so I have a special interest in schools. I still expect to get it from somewhere or other at some point but would rather put off the eventful day as long as possible and hope that it is not very serious or fatal..

The sports bodies have taken it upon themselves to do the sensible thing and suspend all major events. But the government is effectively treating it as business as usual. Herd immunity is the goal and they are not even going to bother testing anyone except to confirm very likely cases. The actual number of cases is way more than those confirmed so any figures on fatality rates or the current state of play are essentially meaningless. A cynic might suspect economic reasons at the heart of this approach.

Even the US is likely to call a state of emergency (whatever that will entail) now that Mr T has finally realised it is not a hoax and is worried about having been in close contact with Mr B from Brazil who has been confirmed positive. What did I say about waiting until one gets a real slap in the face. Maybe if you get it yourself you won't be so gracious towards the goverment's approach. 

Given Mr T's legendary impulsiveness -- as exemplified by his sudden clampdown on all travel from Europe, which has caused chaos among returning Americans -- anything could happen at any time. Just being anywhere near Mr. B from Brazil, with or without Coronavirus, is cause for grave concern.😧

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

We don't know what will happen when the lockdowns in China, Italy, and in Iran come to an end. 

I'm not sure that I understand the strategy behind what the UK is doing. If 80% are going to catch this bug and it is going to appear every winter then not sure what the point is of working from home unless you are actually ill.

The idea is to slow it down so hospitals aren't overrun with not enough ICUs to care for the critically ill. If it gets too bad too fast, they will have to do wartime triage and sadly make decisions about who gets limited resources, which means being unable to save those who might otherwise be able to live through it with the right medical help. If 80% get the virus over the course of a year, rather than within the space of a couple of months, the death toll is lower. 

• Like 2

Eric Bouvet's photographic response to coronavirus:

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2020/03/12/dans-l-oise-quand-le-temps-s-est-arrete_6032822_3244.html?mc_cid=40274389a6&mc_eid=802bf2d12b

NB. text is in French

Edited by Martin P Wilson
add the hyperlink

I suggest the UK government is taking an approach based on the following;

• They believe a vaccine won't be available in time to make a significant difference.
  • Shutting down everything to reduce cases to a very low level will have a catastrophic economic and social impact that will go on for many, many months
  • The best way to get though this more swiftly is to permit some infection to spread amongst the population at a rate which is low enough that those who become seriously ill can be treated, but high enough that immunity within the population (herd immunity) increases more quickly to a level where potential transmission rates drop naturally. (A vaccination by active infection approach??)
  • Measures should be taken to try to avoid the most vulnerable contracting the infection during this phase
  • Stopping testing at home will make it appear that our infection rates haven't risen to alarming levels, thereby reducing public panic.

I make no comment as to whether this is a sensible approach or not, but I can understand the concept. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marianne said:

The idea is to slow it down so hospitals aren't overrun with not enough ICUs to care for the critically ill. If it gets too bad too fast, they will have to do wartime triage and sadly make decisions about who gets limited resources, which means being unable to save those who might otherwise be able to live through it with the right medical help. If 80% get the virus over the course of a year, rather than within the space of a couple of months, the death toll is lower. 

Yes but UK is being far softer than just about every other country at the moment. I guess other countries still feel that they have a chance of containment if they shut their borders and UK knows that the situation has gone beyond that. 

Many in UK seem to have gone into voluntary lockdown mode already which seems only to be forestalling a peak.

Mark's post crossed with mine. The government may indeed be planning to 'permit some infection' to reduce social and economic harm but the lab rats seem reluctant to volunteer to become infected.

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, BobD said:

According to that map we haven't got any infections in the UK. If only.

Perhaps because the UK has now stopped testing those with symptoms who are self isolating at home Johns Hopkins have decided to exclude our data as being unreliable?

Mark

7 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes but UK is being far softer than just about every other country at the moment. I guess other countries still feel that they have a chance of containment if they shut their borders and UK knows that the situation has gone beyond that. 

Many in UK seem to have gone into voluntary lockdown mode already which seems only to be forestalling a peak.

I don't think we can contain it but every bit we slow it down could save a few more lives. I think a plan for testing and making sure people have food and can afford to stay in is the most important thing at this point, Hoping saner and more compassionate voices in our government are heard. But we all need to take responsibility for our own actions and do the best we can. Hoping I live to vote in November. What a scary world we find ourselves in. My one consolation is that my husband (healthy and under 60), daughter, grandson, siblings and most of my  nieces and nephews are likely to fare well. Concerned for half my friends, many cousins and bro & sister-in-laws. 

Edited by Marianne
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I don't think we can contain it but every bit we slow it down could save a few more lives. I think a plan for testing and making sure people have food and can afford to stay in is the most important thing at this point, Hoping saner and more compassionate voices in our government are heard. But we all need to take responsibility for our own actions and do the best we can. Hoping I live to vote in November. What a scary world we find ourselves in. My one consolation is that my husband (healthy and under 60), daughter, grandson, siblings and most of my  nieces and nephews are likely to fare well. Concerned for half my friends, many cousins and bro & sister-in-laws. 

That is the part I am not sure about.

Is the most responsible thing to hide away or just carry on as normal as much as possible?

I completely understand the need to stay isolated if I  ( or anybody) has symptoms, but if not what is the wisdom of staying isolated ? 

I gather that we are perhaps 3-5 weeks away from crunch time in UK.

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Herd immunity is the goal and they are not even going to bother testing anyone except to confirm very likely cases.

Agreed. Why else would infection levels come down (the other side of the peak) as they keep showing if it's not through herd immunity? There's no vaccine on the horizon, maybe they are hoping the seasonal effect will cut in? But if so the infection rate will go back up agin as we approach next winter.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Agreed. Why else would infection levels come down (the other side of the peak) as they keep showing if it's not through herd immunity? There's no vaccine on the horizon, maybe they are hoping the seasonal effect will cut in? But if so the infection rate will go back up agin as we approach next winter

Mark

about 60% of people will need to become infected in order for the UK to enjoy "herd immunity".

But I am not so sure how keen the herd is to become infected. 

Edited by geogphotos

3 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

That is the part I am not sure about.

Is the most responsible thing to hide away or just carry on as normal as much as possible?

I completely understand the need to stay isolated if I  ( or anybody) has symptoms, but if not what is the wisdom of staying isolated ? 

I gather that we are perhaps 3-5 weeks away from crunch time in UK.

This is going to depend very much on your circumstances and personal risk assessment. If you have underlying health problems it would be advisable to isolate yourself as much as possible. If you are retired then you can isolate yourself more without the financial implications as a self employed taxi driver for example.

Being 70 I look at the risk differently than I would if I were 40. I am not isolating at the moment but I am doing things differently, having goods delivered for example rather than going to the shop. If things get much worse then I will seriously consider becoming less socially active.

I don't think anyone who is not ill can cut themselves off completely but it makes sense to mitigate the risk as much as possible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobD said:

I don't think there is much the government can do, closing the whole country down is not the answer, as you said the virus is out there.

People have to take responsibility for themselves and family, if you are at all worried there is nothing stopping you from doing for yourself what you think the government should be doing.

Its all very well  criticising our governments but in all this thread I have seen no criticism of the Chinese who have allowed these disgusting wet markets to thrive in the most inhumane and unhygienic conditions imaginable.  The sars virus was a warning but they took little head and allowed the markets to open again after a short shut down. Lets hope they learn the lesson this time or one day a pandemic will happen that will wipe out half of the worlds population.

Smartest thing anyone has said. Most people want to point fingers and blame. Blame the leaders, blame this person, this country, they should have done this sooner, they shoulda, shoulda. Then here comes politics.

And you have it right. Put the blame at the source. Wet markets. Obviously, China doesn’t care if their people get sick and die, so why would they care about the rest of the world?

Good for you for saying what needed saying. 👍 

It’s here. Your country, my country. Let’s pull together to do our part to stop the spread so the hospitals and doctors won’t be forced to let an older person die in order to give a younger person a ventilator or a bed.

Betty

• Dislike 2

Just to lighten up a little.

I went into the local chemist the other day to buy a face mask. The nice young lady explained they had sold out and suggested I tried Boots.

I must say I'm not keen.

head-stuck-in-a-boot.jpg

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Obviously, China doesn’t care if their people get sick and die, so why would they care about the rest of the world?

Seriously??

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

It’s here. Your country, my country. Let’s pull together to do our part to stop the spread so the hospitals and doctors won’t be forced to let an older person die in order to give a younger person a ventilator or a bed.

+1

Mark

• Love 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BobD said:

Just to lighten up a little.

I went into the local chemist the other day to buy a face mask. The nice young lady explained they had sold out and suggested I tried Boots.

I must say I'm not keen.

head-stuck-in-a-boot.jpg

That should stop the virus getting through.... and the oxygen... at least you won't die of the virus... :lol:

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Seriously??

+1

Mark

Mark, if they cared, they’d do away (BAN) the wet markets. The latest thing they are saying is that the U.S. military gave it to them!!

They are taking no responsibility.

• Dislike 1