Jump to content
stipe

Can covid-19 disease outbreak influence photos sales worldwide?

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Marianne said:

Glad your elderly mom is on the mend.

 

Here in the US it appears that our government is close to a bill that will make tests free. I'm grateful for people like Nancy Pelosi, who, despite her advanced age, (79) is urging both houses of Congress to stay until they can agree on a bill to help saying, “We are the captains of the ship. We are the last to leave.” Let's hope most of the men in Congress are as brave as she is, it seems like many are, and hopefully they will put their differences aside and get us some help. Here in NY our Governor is being proactive and trying to do as much as he can, though there are certainly shortages, including a severe shortage of tests.

 

Hospitals, doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals don't want to hide the numbers, but since there are nowhere near enough tests, they are saving them for those who become ill and are at high risk, since it is more important that someone at risk of death get an accurate diagnosis, than someone who is ill but not in serious distress. Though it would seem like anyone sick enough to be hospitalized should be tested, with severe shortages it's currently not possible. It's irresponsible to say anyone should be tested even if they have no symptoms, when there aren't even enough tests for those who are quite sick.

 

Sure, it seems unfair that someone who is ill but not in severe distress can't get a test and may have to be quarantined just to be safe, but we are all being told to self-isolate anyway. Ultimately, the decisions being made on how best to use scarce resources should be left up to health care workers. Not one story I've read or heard about testing or not testing had anything to do with whether the person had insurance or the ability to pay for the test. 

 

The worst fault here is not our healthcare system (I'm a fan of the European system, but that's beside the point).  The more serious issue is that we had a few month's warning and did nothing to come up with a test, testing guidelines, or a plan for the inevitable epidemic. In fact, the epidemic response team set up by President Obama was dismantled. All the money and insurance in the world won't get you a hospital bed or a ventilator if there isn't a a bed left. And that's really the biggest threat. 

 

There should be a protocol for testing health care workers, cops, firefighters, food industry workers, and others for whom it is essential that they do their job and be around other people. This is where the lack of preparedness has really gotten us down.

 

Grocery store shelves are already empty. The national guard is delivering food to quarantined people in New Rochelle, a town about 20 miles from here hit the hardest in NY so far. it's going to be a lot harder when one town becomes hundreds. I guess empty shelves show people are trying to prepare, though of course some are hoarding too. 

 

I have seen our country pull together many times. After Hurricane Sandy, we had carpenters from Mississippi putting up light poles and utility workers from Massachusetts stringing up the lights on our street here in NY. This is different since it will affect so many more people, but I have faith that people will still pull together. And some will hoard and make things worse. It's human nature. 

 

The United States is not just our government, we the people are stronger when we stand together and most of us actually care about our friends and neighbors. Just like most other people around the world. 

+1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, York Photographer said:

One thing is for sure, Prices ain't going up!

 

I agree, but my zooms are going up, the highest so far this month since I joined in 2017.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of us end up having to self isolate, depending upon how well we feel, there's the opportunity to sort through older images and if suitable, prepare for Alamy stock. Something I normally never find time for. I could consider sorting and scanning for archival submissions, but suspect that would only make me feel worse. I've always looked on scanning as a necessary evil.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, sb photos said:

If any of us end up having to self isolate, depending upon how well we feel, there's the opportunity to sort through older images and if suitable, prepare for Alamy stock. Something I normally never find time for. I could consider sorting and scanning for archival submissions, but suspect that would only make me feel worse. I've always looked on scanning as a necessary evil.

 

Given what you said a little while ago about your underlying health conditions, perhaps you should be thinking seriously about doing that now. The fact that Covid-19 is now known to be infectious in asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic stages is a really serious finding (quotes all over the place) so, while the confirmed cases yesterday were just under 600, the number of actual cases could easily be 10,000 (as stated by the UK Chief Scientific Adviser). Perhaps it is way more. Anyway it's out there and the UK government is just letting it go, keeping schools open, living life as usual and not wishing to be too draconian lest they introduce Covid Fatigue.  

 

The UK government's position is now about developing herd immunity. They have actually said this so it is not alarmist. This  effectively means sacrificing the vulnerable in the first place. So the elderly and susceptible can be considered as Covid Fodder. I am surprised they have not come up with a slogan such as Get Covid Done. Because effectively that is the strategy. 

 

Maybe time to get that ES-1 out.

Edited by MDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marianne said:

The United States is not just our government, we the people are stronger when we stand together and most of us actually care about our friends and neighbors. Just like most other people around the world. 

Of course we're delighted to hear it, but terribly sad that it even needed to be said.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Marianne said:

Hospitals, doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals don't want to hide the numbers, but since there are nowhere near enough tests, they are saving them for those who become ill and are at high risk, since it is more important that someone at risk of death get an accurate diagnosis, than someone who is ill but not in serious distress. Though it would seem like anyone sick enough to be hospitalized should be tested, with severe shortages it's currently not possible. It's irresponsible to say anyone should be tested even if they have no symptoms, when there aren't even enough tests for those who are quite sick.

 

 

 

Absolutely agree!

Because test kits are a limited resource, we here (Perth, Western Australia) now have a criteria you must meet to qualify for a test (and the tests are free), and it is purely and simply to ensure the maximum number of tests are avaiable to those most at risk, not to those most worried.

 

DD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sb photos said:

 

If any of us end up having to self isolate, depending upon how well we feel, there's the opportunity to sort through older images and if suitable, prepare for Alamy stock.

 

 

I will be spending a large part of my enforced spare time sending loads of my clutter to eBay so that at last I might have enough space to live in. There will be photographic stuff, most of it of low value, though my 1937 Rolleiflex will be going live tonight.

 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 4 confirmed cases now in my town. Probably a few more running around unaware. 3 new ones were at a business conference in Florida. Came home feeling well, then developed symptoms. They did self-isolate, but who knows who they came into contact with before their symptoms developed.

I think what’s different between this and the flu is how much more contagious it seems to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MDM said:

 

Given what you said a little while ago about your underlying health conditions, perhaps you should be thinking seriously about doing that now. The fact that Covid-19 is now known to be infectious in asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic stages is a really serious finding (quotes all over the place) so, while the confirmed cases yesterday were just under 600, the number of actual cases could easily be 10,000 (as stated by the UK Chief Scientific Adviser). Perhaps it is way more. Anyway it's out there and the UK government is just letting it go, keeping schools open, living life as usual and not wishing to be too draconian lest they introduce Covid Fatigue.  

 

The UK government's position is now about developing herd immunity. They have actually said this so it is not alarmist. This  effectively means sacrificing the vulnerable in the first place. So the elderly and susceptible can be considered as Covid Fodder. I am surprised they have not come up with a slogan such as Get Covid Done. Because effectively that is the strategy. 

 

Maybe time to get that ES-1 out.

 

I don't think there is much the government can do, closing the whole country down is not the answer, as you said the virus is out there.

People have to take responsibility for themselves and family, if you are at all worried there is nothing stopping you from doing for yourself what you think the government should be doing.

 

Its all very well  criticising our governments but in all this thread I have seen no criticism of the Chinese who have allowed these disgusting wet markets to thrive in the most inhumane and unhygienic conditions imaginable.  The sars virus was a warning but they took little head and allowed the markets to open again after a short shut down. Lets hope they learn the lesson this time or one day a pandemic will happen that will wipe out half of the worlds population.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BobD said:

 

I don't think there is much the government can do, closing the whole country down is not the answer, as you said the virus is out there.

People have to take responsibility for themselves and family, if you are at all worried there is nothing stopping you from doing for yourself what you think the government should be doing.

 

Its all very well  criticising our governments but in all this thread I have seen no criticism of the Chinese who have allowed these disgusting wet markets to thrive in the most inhumane and unhygienic conditions imaginable.  The sars virus was a warning but they took little head and allowed the markets to open again after a short shut down. Lets hope they learn the lesson this time or one day a pandemic will happen that will wipe out half of the worlds population.

 

 

I have to agree. Chinese live animal markets are disgusting and highly dangerous. The annual dog-meat "festival" in Yulin is one of the most barbaric (only word I can think of) events on the planet. Google it -- but beware, the videos are sickening -- if you haven't heard about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

error

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've reported, there is still food and loo paper available here in the centre of Liverpool. Protective masks? Nobody seems to have those. 

 

"What if" scenarios keep occurring to me. If they start to closedown public places, the Apple Store will close and I will not be able to upload anything to Alamy. My other option, the library, will closedown too. And what about Alamy?

 

I have had allergy and cough variant asthma for 30 years. It started in Oxfordshire during my last summer there. It visits me every single day . . . but not all day. Don't ask me why but it doesn't visit me when I'm drinking beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We don't know what will happen when the lockdowns in China, Italy, and in Iran come to an end. 

 

I'm not sure that I understand the strategy behind what the UK is doing. If 80% are going to catch this bug and it is going to appear every winter then not sure what the point is of working from home unless you are actually ill.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

We don't know what will happen when the lockdowns in China, Italy, and in Iran come to an end. 

 

I'm not sure that I understand the strategy behind what the UK is doing. If 80% are going to catch this bug and it is going to appear every winter then not sure what the point is of working from home unless you are actually ill.

 

This is very true. No country in todays world is an island, going into lockdown is only going to delay the inevitable. As soon as borders are re-opened the virus will come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BobD said:

 

This is very true. No country in todays world is an island, going into lockdown is only going to delay the inevitable. As soon as borders are re-opened the virus will come back.

 

 

I think that in UK the strategy is just to try and level out the peak so that the NHS etc can cope and that it doesn't all happen at once. But can't see that self-isolation is going to serve any purpose if you are not actually ill and infectious. I can't see that in the end it is going to stop most of us becoming infected sooner or later. 

 

I suppose given the choice of sooner or later most will go for later!

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

I have to agree. Chinese live animal markets are disgusting and highly dangerous. The annual dog-meat "festival" in Yulin is one of the most barbaric (only word I can think of) events on the planet. Google it -- but beware, the videos are sickening -- if you haven't heard about it.

 

 I haven't heard of this event but I think I will pass on googling and watching the slaughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The government here in BC is telling us not to cross the US border, not even to buy cheaper gas (petrol), as British Columbians do all the time. Anyone who does visit the US even for a few minutes now has to self-quarantine for 14 days. Seems a bit draconian to me...

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BobD said:

 

 I haven't heard of this event but I think I will pass on googling and watching the slaughter.

 

Probably a wise idea. It won't do much for your faith in humanity. We tend not to be a very nice species...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

The government here in BC is telling us not to cross the US border, not even to buy cheaper gas (petrol), as British Columbians do all the time. Anyone who does now has to self-quarantine for 14 days. Seems a bit draconian to me...

 

Probably this is also a reason why UK is going relatively soft at the moment. Too much, too soon,  and you will get certain sections of society refusing to co-operate and regarding the rules as impositions from an overbearing state.

 

Not the right time to be pondering this I suppose but interesting to compare responses in different countries of differing forms of government.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BobD said:

Here is a good website to see what is happening around the world. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

 

 

OMG it's like an Olympics medals chart! 

 

I suspect that it is more a measure of how much testing is going on than anything else.

Edited by geogphotos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha, whenever did Italy finish second to the Chinese.😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new regulations are coming into force here in Portugal. No school, college etc. libraries closed, restrictions on numbers of people allowed in restaurants etc, only 10 people allowed at funerals (in my area, not sure if that is countrywide), no going to church, Easter at Fatima cancelled I believe. As of Monday most if not all of the bars in my area are closing for at least two weeks. There is a run on a lot of the supermarkets at the moment but thats only really happened in the last couple of days. Our number of suspected cases has doubled in the last 24 hours

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

As I've reported, there is still food and loo paper available here in the centre of Liverpool. Protective masks? Nobody seems to have those. 

 

"What if" scenarios keep occurring to me. If they start to closedown public places, the Apple Store will close and I will not be able to upload anything to Alamy. My other option, the library, will closedown too. And what about Alamy?

 

I have had allergy and cough variant asthma for 30 years. It started in Oxfordshire during my last summer there. It visits me every single day . . . but not all day. Don't ask me why but it doesn't visit me when I'm drinking beer. 

 

Re asthma, the Thames Valley is notorious for that. I know people who have moved away for health reasons.

Edited by Thyrsis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.