I've fallen off the cliff!

On 11/03/2020 at 19:27, John Mitchell said:

Sadly, just about everything gets politicized -- even weaponized -- these days, and consequently any chance of rational discourse flies out the window. I guess you could say that one of the great failings of democracy is that it usually ends up pitting us against each other. Trouble is no one has come up with a better system...

You summed it up beautifully John. Amen to that

• Love 1

17 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

You summed it up beautifully John. Amen to that

Take the politicians out of the equation and we might be getting somewhere.

Allan

• Love 3

On 12/03/2020 at 01:30, Betty LaRue said:

Or they’re used to shore up eroding cliffs, near water. (Is that good?) They are still on the planet. I can’t see how spreading mulch around here and there is more harmful than in a landfill.

If something is found another use then it's no longer waste, which is a huge part of the issue. When there is a demand for something and that demand can be fulfilled by something which would otherwise be a burden on the planet then there's a chance for the future. Renewable energy and recycled products have to be a priority.

4 hours ago, Avpics said:

If something is found another use then it's no longer waste, which is a huge part of the issue. When there is a demand for something and that demand can be fulfilled by something which would otherwise be a burden on the planet then there's a chance for the future. Renewable energy and recycled products have to be a priority.

I try to use mulches which will eventually rot down and benefit the soil; but I've never considered, seen advised or even seen recycled tyres being used for this purpose. It's common to see people in East Africa wearing sandals made out of recycled tyres, and there seem to be lots of other options:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=recycling+rubber+tyres

10 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

I try to use mulches which will eventually rot down and benefit the soil; but I've never considered, seen advised or even seen recycled tyres being used for this purpose. It's common to see people in East Africa wearing sandals made out of recycled tyres, and there seem to be lots of other options:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=recycling+rubber+tyres

I had to look it up. It seems rubber mulch is a surface treatment, more like gravel, but chlid knee friendly, obviously not biodegradable. I think it's odd to call it "mulch" as well, but there it is on the RHS website so it must be a thing. I guess.

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I had to look it up. It seems rubber mulch is a surface treatment, more like gravel, but chlid knee friendly, obviously not biodegradable. I think it's odd to call it "mulch" as well, but there it is on the RHS website so it must be a thing. I guess.

It's not biodegradable but it will perish into smaller particles which may find their way into water courses and the sea. Most definitely not good as a substitute mulch in my book and as stated of no benefit to the soil. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Vote for me, and I'll solve all the world's problems. 😁

Personally I think we should give the job of saving the world to Greta Thunberg.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Personally I think we should give the job of saving the world to Greta Thunberg.

Allan

It is not as simple as that.  It can not be a job of single person, or group of people. It must be EVERYBODY and that is the hard part, maybe even non-solvable. 

All governments, from India and China to US to Luxembourg and San Marino would have to be united 100%.  And look even now how defunct United Nations is, where basically everyone pulls to their side.  Or Paris Climate Accord;  does it work?

World governments should sit together, form international think-tank composed of scholars from all disciplines --- science, economics, social etc --- and give them 5 year mandate.  Study everything.  Not just "green gas emissions", this or that.  Everything.  Establish sustainability chart -- optimal population size & distribution, economy rules, transportation.  Standards for garbage disposal.  Etc etc.  List goes on.   But then once this is presented and approved, job of each country would be to enforce rules on its territory.   No exceptions, no opt-out.  This study would have to be made by scholars, not politicians.  Also approved by scholars and not politicians.  But this is sci-fi, so I better stop. 

Edited by Autumn Sky
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

Please keep your politics and sarcasm  to yourself. 

This is for discussing stock photography. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I’m not a chemist or any kind of “ist “ so excuse me if I make wrong choices about mulches. Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.  Or am I drinking the coolaid again?

I suspect most well mannered members of this board will leave Betty with the obvious last word!

Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.

14 minutes ago, Shergar said:

Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.

Betty - if you find you have rubber-munching insects, dont keep it to yourself!!

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m not a chemist or any kind of “ist “ so excuse me if I make wrong choices about mulches. Sheesh! 😊  one thing good about rubber mulch...it doesn’t attract insects. At least wood-munching insects.  Or am I drinking the coolaid again?

Oh the irony! 😖

• Like 1