Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Sales wise Feb was OK on numbers at 14 sales, a bit down on money but passed my total sales value of $80,000 since starting in 2004. This month 0 sales so far, the worst for some time. As for viruses ordinary flu seems like it is killing more than this new one and statistics seem a bit dubious as someone dying with other serious conditions is counted if they have Covid-19 not necessarily that they died from it.

 

Wishing everyone well.

  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m still sitting on zero sales too. Least of my concerns.

Stay well.

 

Betty with your Medical problems I think you should self isolate NOW.

 

All the best and see you at the other side when we come out of this situation.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Betty with your Medical problems I think you should self isolate NOW.

 

All the best and see you at the other side when we come out of this situation.

 

Allan

 

❤️ Thank you, Allan. I did have to get out today to have a flat tire (tyre) fixed but Maintained distance, then disinfected every part of the car anyone might have touched. Then scrubbed my hands for 20 seconds when I got home. Otherwise, I’m staying in. You be careful, too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about a slow month is the pictures on the dashboard of your last sales are slow to change. The last time it was this slow my last license was of a toilet roll with Donald Tumps face on it. I had to look at him everyday for ages and ages.   Look after yourselves! 

Edited by Mr Standfast
typo
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

a toilet roll with Donald Tumps face on it. I had to look at him everyday for ages and ages.

Fortunately, tiny face, very tiny face.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2020 at 21:59, Betty LaRue said:

❤️ Thank you, Allan. I did have to get out today to have a flat tire (tyre) fixed but Maintained distance, then disinfected every part of the car anyone might have touched. Then scrubbed my hands for 20 seconds when I got home. Otherwise, I’m staying in. You be careful, too.

 

❤️Thanks Betty but it is difficult when trying to move to a new home at some distance away. A bit like you did but not as far as you moved.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feeling for you, Allan. Of all times to be in the middle of a move!  All you can do is take all the precautions possible under the circumstances.  One day it will be done and you’ll get the carrot at the end of the stick.

Betty

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at my account balance and wondering how many of those businesses are still open, how many are closed for months, and how many may never open again! Doom and gloom in California with so many businesses closing . Gotta be a nightmare for Alamy chasing payments. Perhaps once this is over we will see an end to the pay us when you can attitude.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well looks like its pretty much over for my sales now. It was bad enough before the pandemic. Fortunately my microstock sales are still flowing. 

 

I do wonder if being self employed and not getting out to take more shots gives us any chance of government compensation for loss of potential earnings. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marb said:

Well looks like its pretty much over for my sales now. It was bad enough before the pandemic. Fortunately my microstock sales are still flowing. 

 

I do wonder if being self employed and not getting out to take more shots gives us any chance of government compensation for loss of potential earnings. 


Are you struggling to survive because of your loss of Alamy income ? From what you have said before, it seems very unlikely that you are struggling for that reason.as you generally talk about few or no sales. So 80% of whatever you are losing is going to be fairly minuscule. 
 

You do realise that there are hundreds of thousands of people who are very seriously ill or actually dying or about to become so because of Covid-19 and that will soon go into the millions and then eventually into the hundreds of millions possibly before a vaccine is developed.  Why not just for once count your blessings? This thing is a tsunami which might sweep you off the cliff, never mind falling off because of lack of sales. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst it may be frustrating for some to have few or no sales, it's important especially now to get things in perspective, more than ever.

 

My gorgeous next door neighbour is a nurse at St. Thomas's Hospital in London working 2 days a week.  She leaves home at 4 am rarely returning much before 9pm.  Naturally she will now be working a full week and she does so willingly.  Her and her husband (who is self employed) also have three children 2 teenagers and 1 just under.  One of the first things she did on returning home last night was to text me to ask if we were OK !   

 

For anyone complaining about lack of sales, maybe it's a good time to go through old hard drives and revisit keywords - just saying......

 

Keep safe everyone.....

 

Carol

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly do count my blessings but to be fair, this thread is about sales, not the awful virus (which other threads are about) I am also used to riding the storm as the last few months have been terrible regarding my mother being seriously ill and put on end of life care, which she pulled through but still very ill and dependent on us. So I'm kind of used to crises at the moment. My income streams are also sound media which has also been affected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marb said:

I certainly do count my blessings but to be fair, this thread is about sales, not the awful virus (which other threads are about) I am also used to riding the storm as the last few months have been terrible regarding my mother being seriously ill and put on end of life care, which she pulled through but still very ill and dependent on us. So I'm kind of used to crises at the moment. My income streams are also sound media which has also been affected.

 

This thread morphed a long time back into something completely different. Somewhere back there you described your lack of February sales as utterly utterly utterly tragic which was to put it mildly an incredible exaggeration at the time before the pandemic, which is going to be a real tragedy of monstrous proportions.

 

What I am really trying to get across is that if you have only a tiny income from Alamy in the first place, then you are losing very little now and it is certainly unlikely to be affecting your livelihood in any significant way. There is so much else that is immeasurably more important than making a few extra $ right now. I could understand it if it came from someone who is actually making a significant amount of sales here and whose livelihood is affected. Hence my reply to you above. 

 

I wish you the best by the way.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MDM said:

 

This thread morphed a long time back into something completely different. Somewhere back there you described your lack of February sales as utterly utterly utterly tragic which was to put it mildly an incredible exaggeration at the time before the pandemic, which is going to be a real tragedy of monstrous proportions.

 

What I am really trying to get across is that if you have only a tiny income from Alamy in the first place, then you are losing very little now and it is certainly unlikely to be affecting your livelihood in any significant way. There is so much else that is immeasurably more important than making a few extra $ right now. I could understand it if it came from someone who is actually making a significant amount of sales here and whose livelihood is affected. Hence my reply to you above. 

 

I wish you the best by the way.

 

I did say that I earn ofher icome streams for audio and photography which have all been affected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2020 at 18:06, Betty LaRue said:

Feeling for you, Allan. Of all times to be in the middle of a move!  All you can do is take all the precautions possible under the circumstances.  One day it will be done and you’ll get the carrot at the end of the stick.

Betty

 

Hi Betty, Here I am in limbo. No I do not know where that is either but I am in it.

 

Removal firm cried off the move when Boris announced lock down.

 

Just have to wait three weeks and see what happens then.

 

At least I am in the more comfortable place with bed, table and chairs, TV and laptop. With a Tesco just a short walk away in the fresh air so I can do two of the allowances we have been given in one hit. Shopping and exercise in fresh air.

 

Allan

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Hi Betty, Here I am in limbo. No I do not know where that is either but I am in it.

 

Removal firm cried off the move when Boris announced lock down.

 

Just have to wait three weeks and see what happens then.

 

At least I am in the more comfortable place with bed, table and chairs, TV and laptop. With a Tesco just a short walk away in the fresh air so I can do two of the allowances we have been given in one hit. Shopping and exercise in fresh air.

 

Allan

 

 

Don't forget to take a camera along with you on those allowed activities. Best of luck with the move when it does happen. We're all in one form or another of limbo right now...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Hi Betty, Here I am in limbo. No I do not know where that is either but I am in it.

 

Removal firm cried off the move when Boris announced lock down.

 

Just have to wait three weeks and see what happens then.

 

At least I am in the more comfortable place with bed, table and chairs, TV and laptop. With a Tesco just a short walk away in the fresh air so I can do two of the allowances we have been given in one hit. Shopping and exercise in fresh air.

 

Allan

 

So sorry to hear that, Allan. Happy you are set for “limbo”. I’m glad you posted, because just a few hours ago I began to be concerned since I hadn’t heard from you. If you’ve posted recently, I’ve missed it. 
I was about to email you!
Ask Mark...I can go from zero to concerned in a heartbeat! 😊

Betty

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thread started about people falling off a cliff.. it now feels more like the whole cliff has just collapsed.

I have heard of at least two friends who are now wondering how they are going to pay all the bills in the next few days having either just lost jobs with no redundancy payout or are self-employed so now earning nothing. And I can't even imagine how people who have lost loved ones to this virus must be at the moment.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

So sorry to hear that, Allan. Happy you are set for “limbo”. I’m glad you posted, because just a few hours ago I began to be concerned since I hadn’t heard from you. If you’ve posted recently, I’ve missed it. 
I was about to email you!
Ask Mark...I can go from zero to concerned in a heartbeat! 😊

Betty

 

Hi Betty, I am still in good health at the moment. Doing some housework to keep me occupied. Must admit it needs doing.

 

A day before the announced lock down I had stripped my office of my desktop computer (27" Apple), which I do all my photo processing on, and associated hardware (hard drives on which all photos are stored) including the desk it was on and heavy office chair, and loaded them into the back of the car, it is an estate, so they were ready for the move.

It was a struggle moving all those heavy bits on my own but I did it. Note I am writing this on my laptop which I do not use for photo processing. I don't feel like setting it all up again but might have to to relieve some of the boredom later on during the lock down.

Even all my cameras and lenses are packed in the car in a big anonymous box, except for my Sony RX100 mk3 so I can still take some photos but not able to process them at this point in time.

 

Arrrrgghhh!

 

Allan

 

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.