I've fallen off the cliff!

8 minutes ago, MDM said:

But it's Corona VIRUS.

Antiviral Activity

The antiviral activity of TTO was first shown using tobacco mosaic virus and tobacco plants . In field trials with Nicotiniana glutinosa, plants were sprayed with 100, 250, or 500 ppm TTO or control solutions and were then experimentally infected with tobacco mosaic virus. After 10 days, there were significantly fewer lesions per square centimeter of leaf in plants treated with TTO than in controls. Next, Schnitzler et al.  examined the activity of TTO and eucalyptus oil against herpes simplex virus (HSV). The effects of TTO were investigated by incubating viruses with various concentrations of TTO and then using these treated viruses to infect cell monolayers. After 4 days, the numbers of plaques formed by TTO-treated virus and untreated control virus were determined and compared. The concentration of TTO inhibiting 50% of plaque formation was 0.0009% for HSV type 1 (HSV-1) and 0.0008% for HSV-2, relative to controls. These studies also showed that at the higher concentration of 0.003%, TTO reduced HSV-1 titers by 98.2% and HSV-2 titers by 93.0%. In addition, by applying TTO at different stages in the virus replicative cycle, TTO was shown to have the greatest effect on free virus (prior to infection of cells), although when TTO was applied during the adsorption period, a slight reduction in plaque formation was also seen. Another study evaluated the activities of 12 essential oils, including TTO, for activity against HSV-1 in Vero cells. Again, TTO was found to exert most of its antiviral activity on free virus, with 1% oil inhibiting plaque formation completely and 0.1% TTO reducing plaque formation by approximately 10%. Pretreatment of the Vero cells prior to virus addition or posttreatment with 0.1% TTO after viral absorption did not significantly alter plaque formation.

Some activity against bacteriophages has also been reported, with exposure to 50% TTO at 4°C for 24 h reducing the number of SA and T7 plaques formed on lawns of S. aureus and E. coli, respectively.

The results of these studies indicate that TTO may act against enveloped and nonenveloped viruses, although the range of viruses tested to date is very limited.

From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273

Washing hands is still said to be the best method of getting rid of the virus; but if away from hot running water, and in the absence of hand gel, TTO could surely be worth a try, so long as we don't think it's a definite panacea, and we still wash our hands when possible.

1 hour ago, Marb said:

I just went into town, a few miles from Liverpool and plenty of food etc on the shelves. No panic buying at all.

That's good news.  

I just took my temperature. It's 37C.

And I've got pasta, wine, coffee, soup, and lot of loo paper.

You stay safe, Ian.

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Sally said:

No hand gel in Boots today in Glasgow Central. I checked. Nada in Edinburgh Waverley as well. I’m digging around the house to find the half empty bottles I have from travel.

6 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

That's my worry too, I share support of my 90 yo Mum with my sister, and travel there 3or 4 days each week via two trains and a bus in each direction.

I read somewhere today that some people regularly take baths with Dettol added. I wonder if Dettol is easier to obtain than bacterial hand wash? As an aside I've always liked the smell of dettol. 😊🌼

• Love 1
  • Like 1

You could always try washing in Jeyes fluid, it might kill the virus but it might also give you something much worse. 😯

I've always used it to spray fruit trees in the winter, but I believe that it's been recently banned for that purpose.....

Re panic buying of bog rolls, didn't the ancient Romans use a piece of sponge on a stick, could be a marketing opportunity there.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Re panic buying of bog rolls, didn't the ancient Romans use a piece of sponge on a stick, could be a marketing opportunity there.

The Vikings apparently used moss. No shortage of it in these parts, so I'm not overly worried.  🙃

I would suggest foregoing the photography show.  Why tempt fate?
Murphy’s Law is waiting to smack you in the face.  Because you may be clean and careful, not everybody is.
I well remember when my kiddos were young, I took a Christmas job. I was called to sack for a particular cashier one day. She complained all day about how sick she felt. I finally asked her what was wrong.

She said, “I have strep throat.”

I was only out of the hospital a year from a two-week stay from a massive strep infection that nearly killed me. Went to my lungs. Code blue, and all that.

By bedtime that same day I was sick. I got right on it with my doctor, but It still took me 6 weeks to get over it. For some reason I am particularly sensitive to streptococcus.  I could have killed that idiot...no telling how many customers she infected because she handled every. single. item they bought (like I did) after coughing into her hand.

So realize with this new virus there are some “stupids” wandering around mildly sick but spreading it.

Betty

• Love 1

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would suggest foregoing the photography show.  Why tempt fate?
Murphy’s Law is waiting to smack you in the face.  Because you may be clean and careful, not everybody is.

So realize with this new virus there are some “stupids” wandering around mildly sick but spreading it.

Things are not so simple really. There are many people who are completely asymptomatic and don't even know they have it so stupid doesn't apply. Also do you just lock yourself away and cancel everything if you develop a slight cough or runny nose which is most likely nothing to do with Covid-19. As always there is so much misinformation floating around. 

The reality is that it is highly likely that most of us will contract Covid-19 at some point. The authorities worldwide are trying to contain and slow it down but there is no question of it not becoming a major pandemic. Slowing it down by a few weeks and phasing it so that health authorities are less overwhelmed than they would be if it all happened at once seems to be the goal now. The good thing is that it only becomes a very serious or critical illness in a small percentage of people. 

The big questions for me personally are when will I get it and how serious will it be? Well I would rather defer it as long as possible as I don't know how serious it will be and I do enjoy my life but total avoidance is very unlikely. So I am going to go on as normally as possible, not going out of my way to get it but not going out to in a hazmat suit either.  

Edited by MDM
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I've always used it to spray fruit trees in the winter, but I believe that it's been recently banned for that purpose.....

Classic piece of useless regulation. The manufacturers cannot sell it explicitly for the purpose of spraying fruit trees. But nobody can stop someone buying it and using it to spray their trees. I know I do😀

5 hours ago, MDM said:

The reality is that it is highly likely that most of us will contract Covid-19 at some point.

Don't you think that rather alarmist, or at least pessimistic?

It certainly doesn't accord with the official advice.

24 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Don't you think that rather alarmist, or at least pessimistic?

It certainly doesn't accord with the official advice.

No last thing I read (I think it was from the WHO, not the band as far as I know)  was that about 80% of the population is likely to contract it - this qualifies as most. I certainly wasn't intending to be alarmist, just realistic and emphasising the point that for the vast majority of people it will not be fatal or even serious for many. There are people running around buying up handwash thinking that is how they are going to avoid contracting Covid-19. The reality is deferral at best (for most).

Me I tend to get everything that is going. My wife is a teacher and that is probably the worst occupation to be in after the medical profession. I got swine flu at an early stage of that epidemic and it was mild. I have no idea what to expect with Covid-19 but I do expect to get it. I am not going to worry too much about it though until I do get it. 

Edited by MDM

7 hours ago, MDM said:

Things are not so simple really. There are many people who are completely asymptomatic and don't even know they have it so stupid doesn't apply. Also do you just lock yourself away and cancel everything if you develop a slight cough or runny nose which is most likely nothing to do with Covid-19. As always there is so much misinformation floating around. 

The reality is that it is highly likely that most of us will contract Covid-19 at some point. The authorities worldwide are trying to contain and slow it down but there is no question of it not becoming a major pandemic. Slowing it down by a few weeks and phasing it so that health authorities are less overwhelmed than they would be if it all happened at once seems to be the goal now. The good thing is that it only becomes a very serious or critical illness in a small percentage of people. 

The big questions for me personally are when will I get it and how serious will it be? Well I would rather defer it as long as possible as I don't know how serious it will be and I do enjoy my life but total avoidance is very unlikely. So I am going to go on as normally as possible, not going out of my way to get it but not going out to in a hazmat suit either.  

Washing one's hands while wearing a hazmat suit must be next to impossible, so I'm probably not going to wear one either. It seems that you're not the only one thinking that a high percentage of the world's population could eventually get COVID-19 in one form or another. Interesting article here.

15 hours ago, Bryan said:

Pretty sure they changed the formulation about ten years ago, I bought a couple of tins of the original stuff when they were knocking it out cheap at the local ironmongers, maybe now's the time to sell it on ebay.....

I'm gonna cook and eat at home tomorrow for Sunday lunch. NOT because I'm avoiding the virus. I'm forced to avoid all the people here in Liverpool who are out and about ignoring the virus. There are tons of people out tonight. 😃

On 06/03/2020 at 12:02, John Mitchell said:

Interesting stats. Perhaps there is just less travel between those "high heat areas" like Central America and heavily infected countries. Most COVID-19 cases in Vancouver have been linked to people who have travelled to China or Iran. Vancouver has a large Chinese population and a significant Persian one. BC now has its first "community spread" case of Corona virus. No one knows how the Vancouver woman contracted the virus.

One case confirmed in Costa Rica, but the patient was an American tourist.  Her husband and one other person were being tested.  Canadian government travel warning were mentioning this yesterday.   In this case, they had traveled other parts of CR before showing up ill, so we shall see.   Two Costa Ricans appear to possibly contracted the virus while traveling in Italy and Tunisia.  Test results soon. 

One problem with us as a species is that our range now is only 24 hours across.  A biologist said that any species that has a range only 24 hours across is vulnerable to rapid spread of diseases.  The tropics have been exchanging disease for quite some time -- but dengue was Asian only before WW II, and Chikungunya virus only showed up after 2000 in the Americas.  This one is spreading because of tourism.  The US tourists in Costa Rica had contact with a Covid 19 patient in NYC.

Modern tourism requires that we don't do things like quarantine new arrivals for two weeks on ships before they can come ashore.  And banning people from the US and Canada would destroy tourism in a lot of places.  

Edited by MizBrown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm gonna cook and eat at home tomorrow for Sunday lunch. NOT because I'm avoiding the virus. I'm forced to avoid all the people here in Liverpool who are out and about ignoring the virus. There are tons of people out tonight. 😃

Liverpool won today and are just a game off winning the league in record time. Wait for the victory parade whenever it happens. It should be a sight worth seeing. 

EDIT - actually it might be a couple of games depending on other results but they are almost there. 

Edited by MDM

17 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

One case confirmed in Costa Rica, but the patient was an American tourist.  Her husband and one other person were being tested.  Canadian government travel warning were mentioning this yesterday.   In this case, they had traveled other parts of CR before showing up ill, so we shall see.   Two Costa Ricans appear to possibly contracted the virus while traveling in Italy and Tunisia.  Test results soon. 

One problem with us as a species is that our range now is only 24 hours across.  A biologist said that any species that has a range only 24 hours across is vulnerable to rapid spread of diseases.  The tropics have been exchanging disease for quite some time -- but dengue was Asian only before WW II, and Chikungunya virus only showed up after 2000 in the Americas.  This one is spreading because of tourism.  The US tourists in Costa Rica had contact with a Covid 19 patient in NYC.

Modern tourism requires that we don't do things like quarantine new arrivals for two weeks on ships before they can come ashore.  And banning people from the US and Canada would destroy tourism in a lot of places.  

Not sure what you mean by "24 hours across". However, it makes sense that heavily touristed Costa Rica would be a main entry point for the virus in CA.

Edited by John Mitchell

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Not sure what you mean by "24 hours across". However, it makes sense that heavily touristed Costa Rica would be a main entry point for the virus in CA.

What he meant was that no place on the planet is more than 24 hours by air from any other place on the planet.   Possibly not by scheduled airlines, but certainly possibly.

Honduras thought they had a case, but turned out not to be Corona virus.   Costa Rica's case had been wandering around the country before falling ill, so yeah.

• Love 1

It's invigorating to be in a town with a winning team. I'm a longtime NY Yankees fan and followed the Jets and the Giants when they were in contention. The Knicks basketball? We don't talk about them. I lived in Dallas when the Cowboys won the Super Bowl one year. I would be watching the LFC on TV, if I had a TV. For now, all I have as a third-level supporter is a Reds library card. Go Reds!  🙂

19 hours ago, MDM said:

No last thing I read (I think it was from the WHO, not the band as far as I know)  was that about 80% of the population is likely to contract it - this qualifies as most. I certainly wasn't intending to be alarmist, just realistic and emphasising the point that for the vast majority of people it will not be fatal or even serious for many. There are people running around buying

Fair enough but actually no-one is saying that it is "highly likely" that "most" will contract the virus.. It is the outside estimate if no containment measures are taken and is described as "unrealistic" in some quarters

Even in Hubei the incidence is less than 0.1%. In Italy it is .003%.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MDM said:

No last thing I read (I think it was from the WHO, not the band as far as I know)  was that about 80% of the population is likely to contract it

for professional reasons (not photographic reasons) I have been doing my best to keep abreast of the real situation re COVID-19. I cannot find any reference to the WHO making such a prediction, so I am truly interested in having a link to the statement you read.

I have read of the Hong Kong epidemiologist who said 60% _might_ be infected, although his credentials are not reported in any useful detail and neither WHO, CDC or ProMED, as far as I can find, make reference to that claim.

DD